Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Hey now! What are you trying to say?:o

:P

I in fact always try to be very courteous to everyone when I am shopping. Starting first of course in the parking lot by driving safely and with regard for people around me. Once inside I am very efficient, I never need a list and I generally know where everything is. But in the course of my journey I am ALWAYS careful not block anyone else, bump into anyone's basket or person, and if I have a question for a clerk, I ALWAYS begin with "excuse me and please...". And then at the checkout I wait my turn patiently, even asking others who may have fewer items if they would like to move ahead of me. And I am patient with the checkout clerk, even when they are sometimes not being professional in my opinion.

I figure you were just making a joke. I didn't take it the wrong way :)

...but sometimes I admit, there are people out in public who are just self-absorbed and never considerate of those around them.

BTW, my best shopping experiences have always been in the state of Utah. I don't know what it is about Utah, but people there of all ages are always so polite.

.... and Texas too. Texans are really polite too. I wish there were more people with that Midwestern and southern attitude on California.

i was merely saying that i see your ( and the others ) scenario played out everyday. upset kids, people too busy to be polite, arguments ..... all the time. but there are also many, many nice customers who do the right things, and that are no problem at all. :)

^I totally agree with you. Customers who cannot behave in public are horrible to deal with--especially when you have other customers complaining about them; but this makes the good ones all that more valuable.

My pet peeve right now is ALLERGIES! We're having one of the worst allergy seasons in a long time. I need to ask around to find a good allergist. It's so bad that I cannot breathe sometimes. <_<

When my kids were involved in school and participating in drama, band and other performing arts, it would piss me off that some mom's and dad's would find it necessary to chit chat during performances. WTF, weren't they there to see their kid's acting? Social hour is before, after and during intermission!

When my kids were involved in school and participating in drama, band and other performing arts, it would piss me off that some mom's and dad's would find it necessary to chit chat during performances. WTF, weren't they there to see their kid's acting? Social hour is before, after and during intermission!

That is how the world works now Marge. The cell phone has changed the world forever. There is no more discipline, mass laziness, no work ethic. Its all out the window Gone with the Wind so to speak.

I have spent the past 10 years in a small market town. In my local corner shop, the owner always talks to the customers - before, during & after the transaction. NICE.

Obviously the chit-chat doesn't compute with a sociopath like me. Nevertheless, when others are in front of me paying, I can just about tolerate the 'before' and 'during' chatter, even though it slows their transaction & prolongs my wait. But it's the 'after' that really bugs me. Sometimes, it goes on for a minute or more. I wouldn't get so riled if they were trying to solve third world debt or talking about their sex lives, but it's always 'Ooh, and then she said x, and he said y, isn't it black over Bill's mother's today, got to soak my corns later....'. :angry:

I have spent the past 10 years in a small market town. In my local corner shop, the owner always talks to the customers - before, during & after the transaction. NICE.

Obviously the chit-chat doesn't compute with a sociopath like me. Nevertheless, when others are in front of me paying, I can just about tolerate the 'before' and 'during' chatter, even though it slows their transaction & prolongs my wait. But it's the 'after' that really bugs me. Sometimes, it goes on for a minute or more. I wouldn't get so riled if they were trying to solve third world debt or talking about their sex lives, but it's always 'Ooh, and then she said x, and he said y, isn't it black over Bill's mother's today, got to soak my corns later....'. :angry:

Hahaha. What planet do you live on? Thinks sure are not like that in my neck of the woods. They will run you over with the shopping cart. Maybe a "when is all this snow going to go away?" once in a while. Never. Easy answer.

Hahaha. What planet do you live on? Thinks sure are not like that in my neck of the woods. They will run you over with the shopping cart. Maybe a "when is all this snow going to go away?" once in a while. Never. Easy answer.

You're right. The last time I was in the US (Alexandria VA), I only went into one shop, a 7-11. And there was zero cashier/customer interaction there - because the two employees didn't appear to be able to speak a word of English.

You're right. The last time I was in the US (Alexandria VA), I only went into one shop, a 7-11. And there was zero cashier/customer interaction there - because the two employees didn't appear to be able to speak a word of English.

I hate 7/11. Its a shit store They always hire foreigners that do not speak English. Hate the fucking place

People who leave their trash cans out for days after the pick up day

Definitely agree, although they probably have their reasons. Those receptacles should not be left on the street for more than 24 hours at a time, and only on or before the pick up day.

I hope this policy catches on. It reminds me of people that attend concerts just so they can chit-chat.

'MAGNITED States Of America'. :lol:

When I was a kid me and a friend were kicked out when he yelled 'PIG' when they showed Khruschev on the Movietone news.

We didn't know what to do with ourselves after that as going to the movies was a Friday night ritual. :lol:

These phrases/sentences/statements get to me:

"It's 5:00 somewhere!"

"I hate cops. F**k them!"

"You don't even know."

"I'm cool like that."

"CHYEAA!!"

"WOOT WOOT!"

I don't know why, but they all bother me.

I know I have more. I'll have to think of them later. :rolleyes:

^I hate f-the cops too. I think of people that have a reason to think they're after them, and reason that if you're saying f the cops, you're probably worried they're going to catch you doing a bunch of stuff that you shouldn't be doing.

Current (insignificant) pet peeve: I just created a new Pandora Station, and it annoys me that I have to sit through a Pixies song on my "Cake" station...

If I wanted to hear Pixies, I'd have gone to my Pixies station.

Next up: "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Steelers Wheel? WTF? Really--I love the song, but that's NOTHING like Cake. (I changed the station.)

These phrases/sentences/statements get to me:

"It's 5:00 somewhere!"

"I hate cops. F**k them!"

"You don't even know."

"I'm cool like that."

"CHYEAA!!"

"WOOT WOOT!"

I don't know why, but they all bother me.

I know I have more. I'll have to think of them later. :rolleyes:

Something strange happened above. Maybe it was me :D

I agree, some people should just shut it cause all the stuff you listed is just an excuse to say something for people who have nothing to offer in a real conversation. Hate that shit !

People who are going to a concert and before the concert don't want to listen to their music because they say they'll get "burned out". That's when I like to listen to them the most...

People who are going to a concert and before the concert don't want to listen to their music because they say they'll get "burned out". That's when I like to listen to them the most...

I tend not to listen to the band I'm going to see beforehand so I don't get confused when it comes to recalling the setlist afterwards. Of course these days most of that is documented online somewhere so it's not as big of a concern.

"Whatever".That phrase makes me want to kill the person who has just uttered it.

:lol:

I've gotten used to people who play that card and have become very good at beating them to the punch...blows them away :lol:

Misuse of the English language. For example:

Unnecessary apostrophe's. See also 'its' and 'it's'. You should only use 'it's' when contracting 'it is'. It's not that bloody difficult to remember, FFS.

Incorrect singulars. See 'phenomenon' (singular) and 'phenomena' (plural), likewise 'criterion' and 'criteria'. The only place I ever hear the correct singulars being used is the BBC. And even they get it wrong sometimes.

Silly Americanisations of English words or phrases. See 'I could care less'. Actually, it should be 'I couldn't care less', because if you say you could care less, one infers that you do actually care. DUH.

Phrases like "I'm so over you", "Totally Oh My God", "That's totally like..".

I'm 40 years old and I cannot understand what on earth these phrases mean and I feel like asking "what the hell are you trying to say?!". My 18 year old son used to use these sorts of phrases all the time but thankfully, I got him out of that habit!! :slapface:

Misuse of the English language. For example:

Unnecessary apostrophe's. See also 'its' and 'it's'. You should only use 'it's' when contracting 'it is'. It's not that bloody difficult to remember, FFS.

Incorrect singulars. See 'phenomenon' (singular) and 'phenomena' (plural), likewise 'criterion' and 'criteria'. The only place I ever hear the correct singulars being used is the BBC. And even they get it wrong sometimes.

Silly Americanisations of English words or phrases. See 'I could care less'. Actually, it should be 'I couldn't care less', because if you say you could care less, one infers that you do actually care. DUH.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! thankyou! that has bothered me for years!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! thankyou! that has bothered me for years!

Well, now that I've corrected them, maybe we won't see it written here anymore, at least. And just think: if posters go tell their friends, and those friends tell their friends, then maybe it will be totally eradicated.

'Education, education, education', as Tony Blair said.

Archived