Pet Peeves

Hotplant

:o:o

No really.

Oysters usually mature by one year of age. They are protandric, which means that during their first year they spawn as males (releasing sperm into the water). As they grow larger over the next two or three years and develop greater energy reserves, they release eggs, as females. Bay oysters are usually prepared to spawn by the end of June. An increase in water temperature prompts a few initial oysters to spawn. This triggers a spawning 'chain reaction', which clouds the water with millions of eggs and sperm. A single female oyster can produce up to 100 million eggs annually. The eggs become fertilized in the water and develop into larvae, which eventually find suitable sites on which to settle, such as another oyster's shell. Attached oyster larvae are called 'spat'. Spat are oysters 25 mm or less in length. Many species of bivalve, oysters included, seem to be stimulated to settle by the proximity of adults of their species.

So there you have it. We should be nice to spats, afterall, it must be hard, being a bunch of tiny oysters. Probably not very easy to type, or to understand the things that humans do.....

Yeah, maybe everyone should have to pass a sanity exam to join the board.... :rolleyes:

Awwww how sweet, this means you will be gone very soon....

Really had no idea you cared.

Todays pet peeves? Dont have the time for all the nonsense, too busy enjoying life.

There is no sanity clause :o

Used to be we had no sanity clause.....of course now we have someone who thinks they run the board and everyone elses lives. I think tangerine will be in to share her views a bit later, she has 16 years experience treating insane people and med has been diagnosed as full off poopsies...

Todays pet peeve is the heat. Whew it's hot.

Used to be we had no sanity clause.....of course now we have someone who thinks they run the board and everyone elses lives. I think tangerine will be in to share her views a bit later, she has 16 years experience treating insane people and med has been diagnosed as full off poopsies...

Todays pet peeve is the heat. Whew it's hot.

Wow! I've already been diagnosed?! Ahahahah!! Who knew the board had a telepathic phsycholigist on it?! GREAT!! Free treatment!

My sanity clause was refering to this 'boink' person that seems to be stalking me.....sorry, I think stalkers are less sane than people full of poopsies...of course I'm in good company with that diagnosis since I'd say the majority of people who post here have full blown poopsies.

If anyone besides 'boink' took this as aimed toward themselves I'd say there may be a little association by guilt....

Awwww how sweet, this means you will be gone very soon....

Really had no idea you cared.

Todays pet peeves? Dont have the time for all the nonsense, too busy enjoying life.

That's kind of a wierd pet peeve...it seems like that would be posted on the 'what made you happy today' board...it bothers you that you are enjoying life and have no time for the nonsense? May I kindly suggest a session with Tangerine, our resident pshychic pshychologist (according to you anyway)

Peace and enjoy life...it's not so bad!!

No really.

Oysters usually mature by one year of age. They are protandric, which means that during their first year they spawn as males (releasing sperm into the water). As they grow larger over the next two or three years and develop greater energy reserves, they release eggs, as females. Bay oysters are usually prepared to spawn by the end of June. An increase in water temperature prompts a few initial oysters to spawn. This triggers a spawning 'chain reaction', which clouds the water with millions of eggs and sperm. A single female oyster can produce up to 100 million eggs annually. The eggs become fertilized in the water and develop into larvae, which eventually find suitable sites on which to settle, such as another oyster's shell. Attached oyster larvae are called 'spat'. Spat are oysters 25 mm or less in length. Many species of bivalve, oysters included, seem to be stimulated to settle by the proximity of adults of their species.

So there you have it. We should be nice to spats, afterall, it must be hard, being a bunch of tiny oysters. Probably not very easy to type, or to understand the things that humans do.....

:blink::D:lol: Awesome.

No really.

:o:o:o

What did i do to piss you off? :o

No really.

Thanks for the info, Boinnie. That's fascinating.

The fact that spats are the result of asexual reproduction certainly seems to explain why, when they grow up, they tend to just sit there and not approach oysters of the opposite sex. I guess they prefer to just sit there and wait, and when the time is right they.. well.. self-release.

I feel for the little spats. I wonder how they ever manage to forge a sense of their own individual identity when they're clumped together in a nondescript mass of little spats?

I guess they really do have a hard time growing up, huh? Poor little things. :(

Car alarms.

Anyone else hate those things too?

The alarms themselves are not a problem, its the fact that most people have it set so that their horn honks to indicate that its been turned on or off. Why not just have it so that the lights flash. You don't need to anounce to all of your neighbors that you think you have a bunch of stuff worth stealing from your car. If you go into a store with a full glass front, & your going to be inside for 1 minute, do you really need to turn your alarm on & make your stupid horn go off??? I also hate when they are set to be too sensitive & go off when the wind blows.

Related to above is people that think its cool to make as much noise as they can whenever they can, wherever they can. Doesn't your multi-thousand dollar car stereo have a volume control on it (that makes it quiet)? Do you really think everyone wants to hear your ghetto music?

Thanks for the info, Boinnie. That's fascinating.

The fact that spats are the result of asexual reproduction certainly seems to explain why, when they grow up, they tend to just sit there and not approach oysters of the opposite sex. I guess they prefer to just sit there and wait, and when the time is right they.. well.. self-release.

I feel for the little spats. I wonder how they ever manage to forge a sense of their own individual identity when they're clumped together in a nondescript mass of little spats?

I guess they really do have a hard time growing up, huh? Poor little things. :(

:hysterical:

:hysterical:

My pet peeve is this: neighbors who have kegger parties on a Sunday night! I wouldn't care if it were Friday or Saturday, but f-ing Sunday? WTF?

Wow! I've already been diagnosed?! Ahahahah!! Who knew the board had a telepathic phsycholigist on it?! GREAT!! Free treatment!

My sanity clause was refering to this 'boink' person that seems to be stalking me.....sorry, I think stalkers are less sane than people full of poopsies...of course I'm in good company with that diagnosis since I'd say the majority of people who post here have full blown poopsies.

If anyone besides 'boink' took this as aimed toward themselves I'd say there may be a little association by guilt....

Boink: Most psychos need no diagnostic tools huh Splits?

Splits: Bimbo, bimbo, bada bada bimbo for these truths are self evident.

Boink: Damn splits, stop it, at least we know she's anal and her real name :)

Splits: Kelly Bundy, Kelly Bundy, run, run run pant pant fart.

Boink: Bitch quit farting, damn you you stink.

Splits: Mad at me, mad at me because of super bimbo chickie doodles anal retentive died blonde.

Boink: Lick my toes and stop eating my cat chows, you need out?

Splits: YEAH YEAH, let me out, let me out, I gotta run, gotta play be free be free.

Boink: Go chase cars and let me know if you force a car to hit Kelly Bundy :)

Boink: Most psychos need no diagnostic tools huh Splits?

Splits: Bimbo, bimbo, bada bada bimbo for these truths are self evident.

Boink: Damn splits, stop it, at least we know she's anal and her real name :)

Splits: Kelly Bundy, Kelly Bundy, run, run run pant pant fart.

Boink: Bitch quit farting, damn you you stink.

Splits: Mad at me, mad at me because of super bimbo chickie doodles anal retentive died blonde.

Boink: Lick my toes and stop eating my cat chows, you need out?

Splits: YEAH YEAH, let me out, let me out, I gotta run, gotta play be free be free.

Boink: Go chase cars and let me know if you force a car to hit Kelly Bundy :)

And what, precisely, is YOUR diagnosis? I'm guessing the PROGNOSIS is not good. I'm surprised you can type in a straightjacket...go figure....

Don't feed the troll. Eventually they will starve and go away.

You are soooo right, DUH! WTF am I thinking!?! Unless of course I have a little cyanide in the 'treat'...

PAH!!

My pet peeve today is the absolute prison our apartment complex has become. The management has so far crossed the line, you can't see the line anymore. It's way back over there somewhere. Kids can't play in the public area. Can't ride their bicycles. Can't throw a frisbee or be in any other manner noticeable to other tenants. It's fucking summer! We have a pool! It's that family atmosphere that makes this a great place to live. Last night, me and three neighbors got ejected from the pool area for playing Texas Hold'em. Hey, pool's open till 9:00. It was 8:30. WTF? We weren't being loud. How loud is "I'm in"??? They just remodeled and put stucco on the building instead of the old wood siding. Now we can't BBQ on out patios! Is that ass-backward or what? No laughing. No splashing. No fun or merriment. When the old managers were here, we'd have everybody out at the pool. Every day. All day. BBQing. Volleyball. Waterpolo. Marco Polo. Kids blowing bubbles and running in the sprinklers. Now the pool is like a graveyard. It's 91 degrees. The water's awesome. And not a soul to be found. Oh, and I've been served a warning, and it's going in my file. I guess we were loud. Last Saturday. At 3:00 in the afternoon. With half the complex in the pool. I was playing an acoustic guitar singing songs with half the people who live here. Hell, they ASKED me to bring it out! What the fuck? The only people NOT out having a wonderful time were the managers, who were busy writing up the entire complex for having a good time. When there are a dozen kids in the pool, with a dozen adults supervising, who the fuck's complaining about the noise??? I never should've sold my RV. We'd be living lakeside having bonfires and taking turns on jetskis. For $300 a month rent.

Oh, and food and beverages are permitted at the lake. We can't even have a Pepsi and a bag of chips at the fucking pool! Much less an ice chest full of beer! :rant:

I agree, that sounds like prison. Do the managers not care at all what anyone else thinks? The kids should be allowed to play outside. I can kind of see why they wouldn't want lots of alcohol around the pool, espeacially around kids but I think if it was just one or two and you weren't drunk it'd be okay. I can only see that if a bunch of drunks were aruond with kids and I don't see you doing that. What are the kids supposed to do? It's no wonder that society is getting the way it is. When the people who do this are being taken care of by these kids who are then adults they'd better not complain because it'll be their fault.

My pet peeve today is the absolute prison our apartment complex has become. The management has so far crossed the line, you can't see the line anymore. It's way back over there somewhere. Kids can't play in the public area. Can't ride their bicycles. Can't throw a frisbee or be in any other manner noticeable to other tenants. It's fucking summer! We have a pool! It's that family atmosphere that makes this a great place to live. Last night, me and three neighbors got ejected from the pool area for playing Texas Hold'em. Hey, pool's open till 9:00. It was 8:30. WTF? We weren't being loud. How loud is "I'm in"??? They just remodeled and put stucco on the building instead of the old wood siding. Now we can't BBQ on out patios! Is that ass-backward or what? No laughing. No splashing. No fun or merriment. When the old managers were here, we'd have everybody out at the pool. Every day. All day. BBQing. Volleyball. Waterpolo. Marco Polo. Kids blowing bubbles and running in the sprinklers. Now the pool is like a graveyard. It's 91 degrees. The water's awesome. And not a soul to be found. Oh, and I've been served a warning, and it's going in my file. I guess we were loud. Last Saturday. At 3:00 in the afternoon. With half the complex in the pool. I was playing an acoustic guitar singing songs with half the people who live here. Hell, they ASKED me to bring it out! What the fuck? The only people NOT out having a wonderful time were the managers, who were busy writing up the entire complex for having a good time. When there are a dozen kids in the pool, with a dozen adults supervising, who the fuck's complaining about the noise??? I never should've sold my RV. We'd be living lakeside having bonfires and taking turns on jetskis. For $300 a month rent.

Oh, and food and beverages are permitted at the lake. We can't even have a Pepsi and a bag of chips at the fucking pool! Much less an ice chest full of beer! :rant:

Sooo sorry to hear that Evester! EGADS! You can play accoustic at my house any day. I might even strum along (won't really be playing anything but I like to pretend, LOL!)

Nah, a couple of people were enjoying a few beers, but we're talking a much bigger picture. Sober people can't even have a Pepsi. We can't have cookouts. We used to community grilling on weekends, and everyone would congregate at the pool and bring food. All the families. And have tacos or whatever. Now we not only have to cook indoors, we can't even share it with our neighbors in the "common area". No big bowls of chips and dip. No watermelons. No gathering around a folding table covered with food. The old managers used to throw parties. Kid-friendly parties, where you could give the manager a pie in the face through a cutout in a board. Good clean fun. Now I'm looking at an empty pool, 20 empty chairs, pool toys rolling around in the breeze, and two dozen kids stuck in their homes on a beautiful afternoon playing video games. It's criminal.

*edit to add* Medbh, you name the place and time! :beer:

Archived