Playing a step lower?

I've heard that Zeppelin are playing the entire show a step lower to accommodate Plant's voice, and that Page and Jonesy's instruments are going to be specially made for that. Is this really true? I can't imagine Stairway a step lower.

Unless you have perfect pitch I don't imagine it would bug you too much. Plant's voice has changed and he uses it differently, he doesn't try for those really high notes any more.

As for having the instruments specially made, I don't see why they would need to do that. Guns n Roses played in Eb standard tuning with regular instruments, for example. Page might use slightly thicker gauge strings to sort out intonation, but it's not like he would need a baritone guitar!

Unless you have perfect pitch I don't imagine it would bug you too much. Plant's voice has changed and he uses it differently, he doesn't try for those really high notes any more.

As for having the instruments specially made, I don't see why they would need to do that. Guns n Roses played in Eb standard tuning with regular instruments, for example. Page might use slightly thicker gauge strings to sort out intonation, but it's not like he would need a baritone guitar!

Cactus is quite right. I think this is a case of Chinese whispers born out of the fact that JPJ (at least) has had a new guitar made. I expect he just fancied a new bass to commemorate this one special gig. Even if Robert wanted to drop the songs down a semitone (which I doubt anyway), JPJ/JP wouldn't need new guitars.

More low end to -led zeppelin has got to be good live. It still makes me think of new material and i dont want to bring it up, but it's a real possibility. Jones is an integral part to the sound and with plant singing a bit lower, it'll be a richer sound and who know's what they will play.

Gonna repeat myself here from another thread...

Isn't the point of the concert to benefit the Ahmet Ertegun fund???

And IF the conjecture that there will be performance issues is true (AND I DO NOT AGREE THAT THERE WILL BE PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS)...

Shouldn't he and the Band be praised for performing foremostly for the sake of the benefit???

These guys are great human beings - period.

YOU ROCK, ROBERT!!!

Exactly where was it that you heard this?

Hugh Manson comments:

"I have just finished making one new guitar for the concert and am now working on another, which will be a spare. It is a four-string bass which is extra long — at least that is the best way to describe it.

"Some of the songs will be in a lower key than usual and, while you can tune a guitar to accommodate almost any note, the best way is to make an instrument to do the job — and that's what this is.

"In fact, all the basses used by the band in the concert will be ours."

This is par for the course w/ many the 70's bands/performers still performing. (*cough* Ozzy) Fact is, the human voice becomes lower w/ age. Nothing you can do about it now.

Absolutely correct. This is simply not newsworthy, it's just more Zep bashing. If I didn't

know better I'd think it was 1976.

It is being reported (rumored) that both Robert and Jimmy are struggling in rehearsal (and even fighting a bit between each other). It is also being reported that rehearsal is going so well, that they are considering doing more shows.

Guess what? The 02 gig, will tell all.

(read the last paragraph)

JBinterview.jpg

Hopefully the band will pick two other shorter songs to play instead of Stairway. That would be just dandy by me!

This from NME

Led Zep reunion hit by old classics' problem

The Song no longer remains the same

24.Nov.07 6:41pm

Led Zeppelin have been working on new arrangements of classic tunes ahead of their hugely anticipated comeback show next month - because frontman Robert Plant can't hit the high notes anymore.

The legendary outfit have been rehearsing songs in a lower key because 59-year old Plant's voice has got lower over the years, The Sun newspaper claims.

A source has said that it isn't plain sailing for guitarist Jimmy Page either.

"Jimmy is a bit rusty and Robert has been struggling with the high notes. To avoid any embarrassing vocal wobbles with the world watching, they decided it would be best to transpose the songs in a lower key."

The December 10 gig at London's O2 Arena - the band's first in 19 years - was postponed by two weeks after Page, 63, broke a finger.

More than 1million fans applied for tickets to see the band. Earlier this month Page said they would debut an "intense" new song live.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep rehearsing guys we want this to be the reunion we've all been waiting for!

Cheers

Warby

It is being reported (rumored) that both Robert and Jimmy are struggling in rehearsal (and even fighting a bit between each other). It is also being reported that rehearsal is going so well, that they are considering doing more shows.

Guess what? The 02 gig, will tell all.

(read the last paragraph)

JBinterview.jpg

Just curious MrZoSo, what article is this? It sounds very promising and Jason is so excited. I think the concert is going to go just as he says. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Just curious MrZoSo, what article is this? It sounds very promising and Jason is so excited. I think the concert is going to go just as he says. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Lady Goodman, Thank you for noticing the positive in a wave of negative reports. :)

It's from Drummer Magazine. Jason is on the cover.

jason-bonham--nov07-01.jpg

I also read about the instruments being made special for this gig which got me to thinking that there must certainly be serious plans for a 08 tour with that type of investment. I know its an important show but lets be honest, would Page and Jones really require custom made guitars for one show??

I also read about the instruments being made special for this gig which got me to thinking that there must certainly be serious plans for a 08 tour with that type of investment. I know its an important show but lets be honest, would Page and Jones really require custom made guitars for one show??

Yes, if they were free. :lol:

This is news? Didn't they rearrange songs for this purpose on the Unledded show 12 years ago? Didn't Plant in fact sing songs differently during Led Zeppelin's heyday for this reason (e.g., OTHAFA)? Are people really expecting him to screech like it's 1969???

This is news? Didn't they rearrange songs for this purpose on the Unledded show 12 years ago? Didn't Plant in fact sing songs differently during Led Zeppelin's heyday for this reason (e.g., OTHAFA)? Are people really expecting him to screech like it's 1969???

This is going to be a Led Zeppelin concert, there will be no watered down, sappy versions of the bands music.

Different tone/tuning? Sure. Why not.

This is par for the course w/ many the 70's bands/performers still performing. (*cough* Ozzy) Fact is, the human voice becomes lower w/ age. Nothing you can do about it now. But once upon a time....... :whistling:
:o Perish the thought! :P

Absolutely correct. This is simply not newsworthy, it's just more Zep bashing. If I didn't know better I'd think it was 1976.
Honeydriper & Steve, you just hammered that nail right on the head. Didn't they, in fact, speed up Robert's voice on some tracks to make it sound higher?

A source has said that it isn't plain sailing for guitarist Jimmy Page either.

"Jimmy is a bit rusty and Robert has been struggling with the high notes. To avoid any embarrassing vocal wobbles with the world watching, they decided it would be best to transpose the songs in a lower key."

hmm, I wonder who this source could possibly be? :whistling: (*cough*

Coverdale?

) jk

Lady Goodman, Thank you for noticing the positive in a wave of negative reports. :) It's from Drummer Magazine. Jason is on the cover.
Ahhh, DM. Did you see the wonderful piece they did in honor of John Bonham a few months back? They're revamping their website, otherwise I'd provide a link.

I used to play drums. Back in those days females weren't really encouraged to play percussion. However, Milo Fine was my tutor and I have to credit him for opening up a brave new world of music for me. Not such an easy task, converting a 12 year old teenybopper from Mickey Dolenz to Aynsley Dunbar. When The Monkees came to town, I had no clue who Hendrix was. :lol:

Again, thanks MrZoSo.

P.S. Milo, if you happen to see this, thank you.25.gif

Great Quote on the cover thanks
"I don't want to play it safe. I want to play it like the old man played live!"

Indeed! :thumbsup:

Good Fishin' in the Land O Lakes, doncha know. Ever get up there ta Minnasotta, GF? I spose those Grumpy Ol Men are settin up the fish house right about now. Betcha the weather's gearin up fer, it. Never, ever heard it called a shanty before, though. (I'm a transplanted Minnesotan and still have my Fargo accent. :rolleyes: )

Archived