We're Having a Vinyl Revival

Jahfin

philthomson_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Pirate-proof … Phil Thomson of The Vintage Record says he took a punt on the fact you can't download a record - and it has paid off.

Photo: Steven Siewert

Kelsey Munro

EVERYWHERE you look, dark clouds are gathering over the music industry. Sales were down 10 per cent last year. The number of songs illegally ripped off the internet outnumbers legal downloads 20 to one.

Last week, the musician Peter Gabriel told an industry conference in Cannes: "It's time to put the corpse of what we know as the record industry in the ground and let some other beautiful things start to grow out of it."

At the same conference, U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, saw things differently - even if he agreed on the death bit.

"The collapse of the old financial model for recorded music will also mean the end of the songwriter," he warned.

As REM once sang, "It's the end of the world as we know it".

To read the rest of the article click here:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/04/1202090317972.html

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future for the major record labels.I think they may dissapear. I see the internet as the source for music.I think the days of music and radio being joined at the hip are numbered.

philthomson_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Pirate-proof … Phil Thomson of The Vintage Record says he took a punt on the fact you can't download a record - and it has paid off.

Photo: Steven Siewert

Kelsey Munro

EVERYWHERE you look, dark clouds are gathering over the music industry. Sales were down 10 per cent last year. The number of songs illegally ripped off the internet outnumbers legal downloads 20 to one.

Last week, the musician Peter Gabriel told an industry conference in Cannes: "It's time to put the corpse of what we know as the record industry in the ground and let some other beautiful things start to grow out of it."

At the same conference, U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, saw things differently - even if he agreed on the death bit.

"The collapse of the old financial model for recorded music will also mean the end of the songwriter," he warned.

As REM once sang, "It's the end of the world as we know it".

To read the rest of the article click here:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/04/1202090317972.html

Right on Spot------Bring it ,bring it ,bring it BacK ! This is all apart of The Revolution-Rock-N-Roll Revival - The STH Lady Was Talking about at CBGB`S Oct.15,06 !!!!!!!

:thumbsup::notworthy::thumbsup::notworthy::thumbsup::notworthy::thumbsup::notworthy::thumbsup:

That's what I find annoying about records. I have loads of them at home and I can't put them on my computer so I can listen to them at school. That means I either have to go and buy the CD or download the songs online.

I don't do file sharing so I'm not giving other people free music.

That's what I find annoying about records. I have loads of them at home and I can't put them on my computer so I can listen to them at school. That means I either have to go and buy the CD or download the songs online.

I don't do file sharing so I'm not giving other people free music.

converting analoge to digital

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/player.html...bclid=992358259

I've seen those before but they cost a lot of $$ which I don't have. I'll just have to wait until my rich uncle gets one because he wants to put all his records on his computer.

You and me both. :)

Archived