"Growing out" of Led

Laughter

Annie, awesome sig! Did you create it?? It's beautiful!!!

Oh thanks! I sort of made it, limited as I am in the computer department. I found the stairway pic and then thought Oooo! Let's turn this into MY stairway to heaven.... :D

Oh - I guess I now have to go on the hunt for Playboy...at least that Zeppelin related purchase will have some compensation for my long suffering husband! :lol:

Can anyone give the exact issue of that Playboy magazine? My husband gets them so I could look it up and see this issue for myself. Otherwise, I will have to hunt thru the whole stack! :huh:

It's the brand new one, dated March 2008. Has the Hef girls on the cover. Should've come in the last 3 days or so. Maybe it's under the mattress!! :ph34r:

:lol:

Well I don't think Led Zeppelin is a "phase", once you like them you can't *stop* liking them, the only band I put on level with Zeppelin on pure emotion, jamming, and kick ass Rock N' Roll is Pearl Jam. How I would kill to see a double bill with those two bands...

In my experience, a lot of the people I knew who 'grew out' of Zep (or other bands, come to that) were rarely into them for the right reasons to begin with - maybe they just had a crush on a member and only thought they were into the music as a result of the crush. So when the crush faded, so did their interest in the band's music, since it was never really about that for them anyway.

Or they were attracted by the mystique - they liked the thought of Jimmy Page living in a haunted castle at Loch Ness or startling unsuspecting journalists by swinging bat-like from hotel chandeliers, because liking that stuff obviously made them a 'dark, mysterious' chick (or dude) magnet as well.

When it finally dawned on them that Led Zeppelin were actual working musicians who didn't really spend half their lives swanning around like villains in a Dennis Wheatley novel, they (quite sensibly) retired from the fandom fold.

Or as Lady Raven pointed out, there's the peer-pressure thing. There are plenty of younger people who know their own minds and stick to it (including many fine examples on this site) but there are others who are susceptible to their peer groups and what they like.

But those who get into Zep for the right reasons usually stick with them in some shape or form. Zep might not always be their absolute favourites, all of the time, but they continue to appreciate them as a musical force and will return to them at intervals.

I got massively addicted to Zeppelin in 1976. It was a constant. Thanks to a discreet earphone, I missed most of 7-12th grade! :lol:

In the mid-80s, I discovered the Grateful Dead. I traded my snakeskin boots for Birkenstocks and spent a solid 5 years in tiedyes, travelling from show to show. I always carried a copy of Blueberry Hill though. But yeah, after ten years of complete immersion into Zep, I needed to step back. Then the first Zeppelin box set came out all remastered in 1990. Out came the headphones and I was like "How did I go so long without my Zeppelin???". There are times I go without listening to Zeppelin. Mostly because it's so imprinted on my mind I don't need to. Somewhere in my subconcious it's always playing.

Achilles' Last Stand a "jam with no emotion"?? Somebody buy this poor bastard some ears, or a soul, or something!!

Early Pumpkins were truly "smashing". Later they lost that edge. But frankly to speak of them on the same level as Led Zeppelin is ludicrous! They were refreshing in their time, but sorry, Led Zep is timeless. That's a proven fact. Anybody see Playboy's music poll for 2007? Jimmy and Robert's photos take up two full pages (the lead pages of the article no less). No one else got better than a two-by-two inch photo. We already told you once, bitches! B)

Seriously, it is always playing in my head no matter where I am. Rarely I will listen to another song, and then go back to Zeppelin just to see how much I missed them and how much of a better band they are, I totally feel you.

In my experience, a lot of the people I knew who 'grew out' of Zep (or other bands, come to that) were rarely into them for the right reasons to begin with - maybe they just had a crush on a member and only thought they were into the music as a result of the crush. So when the crush faded, so did their interest in the band's music, since it was never really about that for them anyway.

Or they were attracted by the mystique - they liked the thought of Jimmy Page living in a haunted castle at Loch Ness or startling unsuspecting journalists by swinging bat-like from hotel chandeliers, because liking that stuff obviously made them a 'dark, mysterious' chick (or dude) magnet as well.

When it finally dawned on them that Led Zeppelin were actual working musicians who didn't really spend half their lives swanning around like villains in a Dennis Wheatley novel, they (quite sensibly) retired from the fandom fold.

Or as Lady Raven pointed out, there's the peer-pressure thing. There are plenty of younger people who know their own minds and stick to it (including many fine examples on this site) but there are others who are susceptible to their peer groups and what they like.

But those who get into Zep for the right reasons usually stick with them in some shape or form. Zep might not always be their absolute favourites, all of the time, but they continue to appreciate them as a musical force and will return to them at intervals.

^^ Excellent points you made Baroness. And good to see you on the boards again, if you've posted in other threads I'm sorry I've missed them. Say, would you want to share a room at MSG's Hemetic Hacienda?? :D

Great post, Baroness. I agree with Angel, I'm glad to see you on the board - I've always enjoyed your posts.

The Baroness would be very welcome here. :D

Great post, Baroness. I agree with Angel, I'm glad to see you on the board - I've always enjoyed your posts.

The Baroness would be very welcome here. :D

*waves at Angel* How are you, chica! Thanks for the kind words. Good to see you around again!

MSG - big thanks to you too! I'd like to return the compliment - your posts are always articulate, heartfelt and wise.

And yep, please put me down for a villa at the Hermetic Hacienda. :) Are there any young, gorgeous Jimmy lookalike masseurs on site?

Just thinking of my tired old bones and all that. :whistling:

Can the mister and I have a tipi there, too, please? :D

We have a beautiful spot for a tipi! :D

*waves at Angel* How are you, chica! Thanks for the kind words. Good to see you around again!

MSG - big thanks to you too! I'd like to return the compliment - your posts are always articulate, heartfelt and wise.

And yep, please put me down for a villa at the Hermetic Hacienda. :) Are there any young, gorgeous Jimmy lookalike masseurs on site?

Just thinking of my tired old bones and all that. :whistling:

Thank you, Baroness. :)

On site cabana boys who look and sound like Pagey. Masseurs. We must spread it around - so some cabana boys will look and sound like Robert. :D I can only imagine what the auditions will be like... :whistling:

We have a beautiful spot for a tipi! :D

Thank you, Baroness. :)

On site cabana boys who look and sound like Pagey. Masseurs. We must spread it around - so some cabana boys will look and sound like Robert. :D I can only imagine what the auditions will be like... :whistling:

Well, there was that strange article a few years ago where someone had supposedly put Jimmy's ingrown toenail up for sale.

So I have a proposition:

1. Locate toenail.

2. Extract DNA from toenail.

3. Find person on forum who secretly moonlights as a mad scientist, speciality - cloning.

4. Sprinkle DNA with water, Jack and other dubious chemicals and voila! Instant Pagey goodness. :thumbsup:

(Well, he did say he wanted to photosynthesise like a plant ...)

He's a Pumpkins fan right?There's your problem to an SP fan you're emotionally dead unless your on the floor begging for mercy and slashing your wrists while crying into a large bucket.There isn't much room for subtlety there,it has to be all or nothing,and they're not as open to the warmer sound of an LZ track,show him the contrast between all Zep's acpcoustic stuff and the entirely electric SP,ALS is the equivalent to United States of Zeitgeist,but the solo in ALS touches into the supernatural realms and gives you the feel of something bigger happening out there,US is mopey by comparison.

Well, there was that strange article a few years ago where someone had supposedly put Jimmy's ingrown toenail up for sale.

So I have a proposition:

1. Locate toenail.

2. Extract DNA from toenail.

3. Find person on forum who secretly moonlights as a mad scientist, speciality - cloning.

4. Sprinkle DNA with water, Jack and other dubious chemicals and voila! Instant Pagey goodness. :thumbsup:

(Well, he did say he wanted to photosynthesise like a plant ...)

:lol: That's great. :thumbsup: And, not a problem for me. :D

Not for nothing do we call it the Hermetic Hacienda. I have been a practitioner of the hermetic arts. I can brush off one of my alchemy books and ask you to bring on the toenail (I will provide the Jack and the other elements).

Alchemy.jpg

:lol: That's great. :thumbsup: And, not a problem for me. :D

Not for nothing do we call it the Hermetic Hacienda. I have been a practitioner of the hermetic arts. I can brush off one of my alchemy books and ask you to bring on the toenail (I will provide the Jack and the other elements).

Alchemy.jpg

Sadly, I am no expert when it comes to the hermetic arts, so you could handle that bit while I scoot off to the kitchen to make us all a lovely cuppa. I'll also fetch a loincloth for Jimmy the Second, to spare the inevitable blushes when he finally comes to in a room full of lady-types ... :bagoverhead:

That painting is great, by the way. Arthur Rackham? It reminds me of his work.

Sadly, I am no expert when it comes to the hermetic arts, so you could handle that bit while I scoot off to the kitchen to make us all a lovely cuppa. I'll also fetch a loincloth for Jimmy the Second, to spare the inevitable blushes when he finally comes to in a room full of lady-types ... :bagoverhead:

Nothing we cant handle, nothing we haven't seen before. B)

That painting is great, by the way. Arthur Rackham? It reminds me of his work.

Interesting that you mentioned Arthur Rackham. It is by Tasha Tudor who was heavily influenced by Rackham. I grew up in the 60's, reading books that she had illustrated (Little Princess, Secret Garden, storybooks filled with anthropomorphized animals, etc.). In the 70's she began to do things similar to the alchemy painted I posted (which fit in well with my explorations into the hermetic arts). http://www.ortakales.com/Illustrators/Tudor.html

Nothing we cant handle, nothing we haven't seen before. B)

Interesting that you mentioned Arthur Rackham. It is by Tasha Tudor who was heavily influenced by Rackham. I grew up in the 60's, reading books that she had illustrated (Little Princess, Secret Garden, storybooks filled with anthropomorphized animals, etc.). In the 70's she began to do things similar to the alchemy painted I posted (which fit in well with my explorations into the hermetic arts). http://www.ortakales.com/Illustrators/Tudor.html

Thank you for the link MSG! What a gifted, fascinating woman. I'm assuming she is still alive - is she still drawing?

You've probably heard of this site already but if you haven't, here's a link. It features some of my favourite fairy-tale illustrators - Rackham, Dulac and my personal favourite Kay Nielsen. I also like the work of the Russian illustrator Ivan Bilibin, but he's not on this site (though I think he should be).

http://www.artpassions.net/

Thank you for the link MSG! What a gifted, fascinating woman. I'm assuming she is still alive - is she still drawing?

You've probably heard of this site already but if you haven't, here's a link. It features some of my favourite fairy-tale illustrators - Rackham, Dulac and my personal favourite Kay Nielsen. I also like the work of the Russian illustrator Ivan Bilibin, but he's not on this site (though I think he should be).

http://www.artpassions.net/

You're welcome, Baroness! I believe that she is still alive. She published her most recent book in 2003; about corgis! Thanks for the link. :) I love fairy-tale illustrators! What may seem like an odd thing to confess on a Zep board but I have a small collection of old fairy-tale books. I am very family with Ivan Bilibin; he did beautiful illustrations for the traditional folk tale, Baba Yaga. If I have time tomorrow, I think I will get up in the attic and see what I can find there. :beer:

Archived