Voting Age Limit

kidmoon

Eh, you may very well be in their way, depending upon the road. :lol:

However, a lot of drivers are jerks and roadhogs, so I don't doubt you get unkind honks. OTOH, I've seen roadhog bike riders too... (and those folks that do message delivery stuff are insane).

Sometimes maybe, yes...but mostly I'm just talking about drivers who get uncomfortable with a bicyclist on the road...I DO stay out of their way. I've been riding for at least 45 years now..and only been hit twice !! :D But mainly, it's people that just don't seem to think a biker should be ON the road. A motorist not only needs a license, but insurance and registration. A bicyclist merely needs to just hop on a bicycle and go !!! No license, no fees etc...I'm not talking about the roads that ARE restricted against bikes...Im talking about the 99% of the other roadways...

Basically...motor vehicle driving is a privilege, controlled and easily revoked....Bicycling IS a right ! :D

Your 'Right' to be on the road is not sacrosanct and it can be limited, even if your "right" to ride a bike doesn't require a license and there are a lot of roadways that prohibit riding/driving unmotorized vehicles on them.

Agreed...as noted above.

Don't even get me started on the "rights of cyclists".

I live in what has apparently become the cycling capital of the US. I have never seen so many arrogant assholes in my life.

I am NOT against cycling. But when you get a select few that think wearing multi-colored Spandex with ads all over it and a turtle shell on their head entitles them to ride 3 across on a HIGHWAY that I pay taxes on, I take umbrage. The rudeness around here is rampant. <_<

I just stay out of the way best as I can. What else can ya do?

I am NOT against cycling. But when you get a select few that think wearing multi-colored Spandex with ads all over it and a turtle shell on their head entitles them to ride 3 across on a HIGHWAY that I pay taxes on, I take umbrage. The rudeness around here is rampant.

When they pull up next to me on the right, and then pass me to run thru a red light, I get very pissed off. I bitched at one guy who did this, and he pulled up to my window on his bike and said I needed to step out of the truck a second. I returned his cold stare and said, "and give up my best weapon ?....and proceeded to rev the engine in neutral. For some strange reason, he was no longer in a hurry to be in front of me anymore. If you're going to ride the road with cars, then it's your responsibility to act like you're driving one.

When they pull up next to me on the right, and then pass me to run thru a red light, I get very pissed off. I bitched at one guy who did this, and he pulled up to my window on his bike and said I needed to step out of the truck a second. I returned his cold stare and said, "and give up my best weapon ?....and proceeded to rev the engine in neutral. For some strange reason, he was no longer in a hurry to be in front of me anymore. If you're going to ride the road with cars, then it's your responsibility to act like you're driving one.

:thumbsup:

It's a shame that this shit has to happen. I've had cyclists nearly run me over on designated HIKING trails around here as well. They think looking like Lance Fuckin' Armstrong makes them some superior being.

To be fair, there are a lot of courteous riders as well. But the large amount of assholes wreck it for everyone. It's a shame. :angry:

If you truly expected a spirited discussion, then some unduly negative responses come with the territory. Consider the negative responses....and consider that there isn't even anyone over 65 to defend themsleves on this board. If there was, you'd be taking some serious shots from the so-called mentally impaired. Nothing personal, but I think they'd tear you up.

If you feel that we should be worried about the reduced cognitive abilities of senior citizens, then we should probably also worry about people who cast a vote while under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, and those that are prescribed. All of those would/could reduce someone's cognitive ability to make an informed decision according to your standards. Would you rather have a high school dropout vote ?.....or a College educated senior citizen with slightly reduced cognitive abilities, that has 3 times the life experience as the drop-out ? (or you for that matter)

How about we test the integrity of all the voting machines before we test the old folks ?

I certainly expected negative responses -- not unduly negative responses. I think I gave the impression that I was in favor of denying the legal right to vote to seniors, when what I wanted was to suggest an idea for discussion only; despite my mistake, I think most of the responders understood this.

You think "they'd tear [me] up." I assume you mean in a debate? Ok, you're entitled to your opinion. You're basing this opinion on the few posts I've made? Again, I'm not advancing the idea that they should be denied their legal voting rights. ... As to your 'straw man' question: Of course a "college educated senior ... with reduced cognitive abilities" is not even considered to be a voting hazard, as it were. I know I've addressed this in my replies before this, but mental incompetence was what I was driving at, not "slightly reduced cognitive abilities".

The moral is this: The rich life experiences garnered with age far outweigh any slight reduction in cognitive function. And if an elder was in the unfortunate position of being too mentally incompetent to make a rational vote, then that elder would probably not be interested in voting anyway.

Thank you all for your responses. This was a provocative issue, and although I think I was misunderstood in some instances (whether by my doing or not), I enjoyed the discussion.

If you agree with Planted In My Mind, see my response to PIMM.

I would much rather have a demented senior voting than all the stupid moron media robots out there that let them steer the vote ,at least the demented seniors would be following their own thoughts. :lol:

Archived