Led Zeppelin, just a cut above the rest!

ZoSo88

I just want to say that while I consider Led Zeppelin to be my favorite recording artists along with Queen, Michael Jackson, and The Beatles I wanted to say that The Rolling Stones in NO way ruined or hurt themselves doing new albums touring often or what have you with releasing how ever many singles and or short promotional films (music videos). I think it is great that they did and that they were WONDERFUL! I LOVE them as well as many others from the beggining up until now. I also look forward to Led Zeppelin doing the same in terms of recording LOADS of new songs, releasing many more studio l.p.s, and touring in the years to come amongst some of their own solo projects fo' sho'!

• 1 year later...

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band most of the time, but every once in a while Traffic edges them out. One of the most underrated bands ever, amazing live, great songs, great music, just amazing.

The Beatles would have been the greatest but for a few factors:

1. Ringo Starr - The Beatles had 3 great musicians and Ringo.

2. John Lennon - His constant hammering of his political views, distracted from the music.

3. Yoko - This is another reason why John Lennon was distracted from the music.

Led Zeppelin had 4 great musicians, that all got along and worked together well. They just wanted to make great music and maybe make some money in the process. They were all on the same page.

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band most of the time, but every once in a while Traffic edges them out. One of the most underrated bands ever, amazing live, great songs, great music, just amazing.

The Beatles would have been the greatest but for a few factors:

1. Ringo Starr - The Beatles had 3 great musicians and Ringo.

2. John Lennon - His constant hammering of his political views, distracted from the music.

3. Yoko - This is another reason why John Lennon was distracted from the music.

Led Zeppelin had 4 great musicians, that all got along and worked together well. They just wanted to make great music and maybe make some money in the process. They were all on the same page.

I think the reason the Beatles broke up had very little to do with Yoko Ono and more to do with their wanting to go in different directions. They got so huge - beyond anything imagined and it's always been my feeling that they wanted to just get back to making music without their being that huge weight on then. Again, just my thoughts.

You're real close on that one. Page was brought in for the actual recording. However there are a few stories on exactly what he did.

Townshend claims (perhaps incorrectly) that Page only played on the b-side, "Bald Headed Woman." Page claims he did actually play on "I Can't Explain," but only the rhythm. I tend to believe that the latter is true and that either Townshend was unaware (Shel Talmy was a bit of a shady individual), or that the latter is true and Townshend won't admit to not playing all the guitar on the song.

This might help.

This is a snippet from an interview by Pete Frame with Jimmy Page for Zig Zag magazine in 1972.

Q I think the sessions you’re probably best known for are those Shel Talmy productions, The Kinks in 1964 and The Who just a few months later.

A I was thinking about those the other day, and I was wondering why Shel Talmy got so involved with the session men he used to use, because quite often, they just weren’t necessary at all. For instance, I wasn’t really needed on the Who’s I Can’t Explain session, but I was there, and all I managed to do was sneak in a couple of phrases on the B-side. Maybe Talmy used to have people like me standing by in case the group couldn’t quite make it on some level. I mean, The Kinks didn’t really want me around when they were recording. One aspect of being in the studio while potential hits were being made was the press; too many people were making a fuss about the use of session men. I wasn’t saying anything, obviously, but it just leaked out, and that sort of thing often led to considerable bad feeling.

Suffice it to say that, during the period of 1964- 1967, I was in there grovelling around on a lot of sessions, but if I went into details, it would be a bit of a nuisance for the people concerned.

Q Pete Townshend acknowledges your assistance on Can’t Explain, but Ray Davies is adamant that you played nothing but tambourine on any of The Kinks’ stuff.

A That’s fair enough. I didn’t really do that much on The Kinks’ records. I know I managed to get a couple of riffs in on their album, but I can’t really remember. I know that he didn’t really approve of my presence.

Q Pete Townshend acknowledges your assistance on Can't Explain, but Ray Davies is adamant that you played nothing but tambourine on any of The Kinks' stuff.

A That's fair enough. I didn't really do that much on The Kinks' records. I know I managed to get a couple of riffs in on their album, but I can't really remember. I know that he didn't really approve of my presence.

Wow, sounds like Ray Davies was a bit of a prick. I never knew that about him. Kinda sad, as the Kinks and Ray Davies are one of my favorites and are one of the most underrated.

Archived