Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
wanna be drummer

The NHL Thread

Great win ! Thinking maybe Patrick may have been a motivating factor for a very good hockey team that has underachieved all season. Penny for your thoughts

Perhaps. But Lindy was in the press box and I am not ready to run Lindy out of town. Dallas tomorrow. Yours truly will be in the house.

ITS OFFICIAL. NEXT YEARS OUTDOOR CLASSIC IS TO BE PLAYED AT MICHIGAN STADIUM THAT SEATS 115,000. All you Leafs fans go get your tickets. Leafs at Red Wings. Original six matchup and Toronto has returned to the league it appears. Right now they are playing better hockey than the Red Wings. That could change fast as we know.

There is going to be a degenerate gambler in the house tonight in Buffalo. :lol:

:slapshot: I am heading up to the Buffalo vs Dallas game at the Niagra Center. Go Sabres!

What a finish! Down 2-0 because Letinen played the game of his life in the nets, Vanek scores and Roy scores with a sixth attacker on the ice. My God do you know how rare that is? Some drunk is screaming lets go Buffalo going down the elevator. Sold out house as usual. Great game. Go Sabres!!!!

No, the new arena for the Islanders was not approved. There was actually a special vote here last August where the county wanted the taxpayers to foot the bill for the new arena and needless to say it was voted down. Other than the obvious reason that nobody wants to pay more taxes in this economy, the county & Islanders owner Charles Wang only presented a vague overview of exactly how much the taxpayers would be paying, and I think that's why it was defeated.

But there's still hope- we still have the Islanders until 2015, and I hope that in that time some sort of new deal can be worked out, maybe by using a corporate sponsor to pay for the new arena. Wang himself is a multi-millionaire, so if he is really committed to keeping the Islanders here on Long Island- let him put his money where his mouth is.

As a life time Rangers fan, I must say it would be tragic for the hockey world if the Islanders were to be moved away from the tri state area. Its a shame that New York state and more importantly Long Island cant get something done. The Rangers / Islanders rivalry is one of the best in all of sports. Lots of blood have been shed on and of the ice for these two teams.

Lets Go Rangers !!

As a life time Rangers fan, I must say it would be tragic for the hockey world if the Islanders were to be moved away from the tri state area. Its a shame that New York state and more importantly Long Island cant get something done. The Rangers / Islanders rivalry is one of the best in all of sports. Lots of blood have been shed on and of the ice for these two teams.

Lets Go Rangers !!

Yep, great rivalry. Something the sport needs more of in the USA

Lets Go Rangers !!

I do not think there has really been a rivalry in a long time there. After all, the Islanders have not made the playoffs in so many years I cant remember. I think Philly is more of a rival right now to the Rangers.

Lets Go Rangers !!

Yeah you're right about that rivalry- I was a Rangers fan in the 90's (got into hockey the year before they won the Cup) & once went to a pre-season game against the Islanders at the Nassau Coliseum. Less than 30 seconds into the game there was a major fight and several Rangers & Islanders players were booted for game misconduct (including my favorite player at the time Jeff Beukeboom). And I remember "Potvin Sucks!" was heard at most of the Rangers home games I went to, even if they weren't playing the Islanders.

I do not think there has really been a rivalry in a long time there. After all, the Islanders have not made the playoffs in so many years I cant remember. I think Philly is more of a rival right now to the Rangers.

I'll grant you that at the moment, that's probably true. Even the Devils pose more of a natural rival . Just the same, I can remember watching the two clubs serving up some of the best playoff hockey I've ever seen . Just like Calgary/Edmonton & Montreal/Quebec, the Rangers/Islanders games were like wars and that made for some great hockey. Even if at the moment, it's not what it used to be,it would be a real shame if that were lost forever.

This season philly has been the rivalry thats been in the spotlight, and for good reason too. But the Icelanders have always been up there with philly and latter on in the 90's the devils. I have not lived in NY for 9years, but the last islander /rangers game i saw at the garden had more fights in the crowed than on the ice. Growing up as a kid in the early 80's, we would fight all the time with the islander fans playing hockey on the lake..........good times...LOL

Edited by zepscoda

I'll grant you that at the moment, that's probably true. Even the Devils pose more of a natural rival . Just the same, I can remember watching the two clubs serving up some of the best playoff hockey I've ever seen . Just like Calgary/Edmonton & Montreal/Quebec, the Rangers/Islanders games were like wars and that made for some great hockey. Even if at the moment, it's not what it used to be,it would be a real shame if that were lost forever.

1994, Game six, Eastern Conference finals, perhaps one of the best hockey games ever. Messier gaurenteed victory and the Devils had the lead going into the third. that was more memorable than any Rangers Islanders game.

1994, Game six, Eastern Conference finals, perhaps one of the best hockey games ever. Messier gaurenteed victory and the Devils had the lead going into the third. that was more memorable than any Rangers Islanders game.

http://youtu.be/SnJuHYOe00k

That was a great post season, swept the Islanders, the beat the Caps in 5 games (I was lucky enough to get a ticket to game 5), then that classic Devils series............not to mention the 7 games it took to win the cup............1994 was a magick year for music and sports in the NY area....between Woodstock 94 and the Rangers ticker tape parade, we had enough parties to last a lifetime!

The Islanders suck my left one. Cant those bitches help us out and beat Florida? No way. And Florida has been going South. Tavares against the world. The the hell was that guy in goal for the Isles? Every time I see them they have a new goalie. They Suck. Suck suck suck

I will go out on a limb and will predict the Dallas Stars will take down the Red Wings tonight and end their streak. Like the Ducks to win also tonight. Two weeks til the big trade deadline. The Ducks have some guys I wish we had in Buffalo. Roy could be dealt. I have a list of those I want dealt. And have pounded the Buffalo News blogs with my thoughts. Maybe it will sink in?

I will go out on a limb and will predict the Dallas Stars will take down the Red Wings tonight and end their streak. Like the Ducks to win also tonight. Two weeks til the big trade deadline. The Ducks have some guys I wish we had in Buffalo. Roy could be dealt. I have a list of those I want dealt. And have pounded the Buffalo News blogs with my thoughts. Maybe it will sink in?

The ducks also have a quality coach. We really miss him in the Capital. What the H E double hockey sticks is going on with the Caps? They look pitiful. They don't show up until the last 3 minutes in the third period. The last three losses have been total breakdowns. I think your Sabres have a better shot then the caps do. Even with a decimated team Buffalo can rebound easier than OV and gang. I knew this Hunter experiment was a bad Idea. I hope Leonsis and McPhee wake up.

I'm a huge hockey fan. When the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup last year, I couldn't believe it. I was way too young to remember their previous championship and certainly never expected to see them win it in my lifetime given the way things had been going. This year has been up and down to say the least, but I guess they can't be counted out, because when they play well, they're hard to beat.

Edited by S. Flavius Mercurius

The ducks also have a quality coach. We really miss him in the Capital. What the H E double hockey sticks is going on with the Caps? They look pitiful. They don't show up until the last 3 minutes in the third period. The last three losses have been total breakdowns. I think your Sabres have a better shot then the caps do. Even with a decimated team Buffalo can rebound easier than OV and gang. I knew this Hunter experiment was a bad Idea. I hope Leonsis and McPhee wake up.

Hunter is not the coach Boudreau is. What a joke. Anaheim is playing very well right now. If them and Dallas win tonight you may hear the change in my pocket clinging down yonder. Ovetchkin has disappeared from the face of the Earth. Hell, him and Crosby once the poster boys are now in no mans land. Big deals coming. Washington should be involved. They should trade Semin and we need to get rid of Stafford and maybe even Roy who i like. A change of scenary can work wonders. Hunter will not last. Lindy Ruff will be coaching when he is a memory. I do not blame Lindy for our season. I blame mainly the injuries to Miller and Myers for a long stretch but also a couple of guys that need to go. Stafford is at the top of my list.

Hunter is not the coach Boudreau is. What a joke. Anaheim is playing very well right now. If them and Dallas win tonight you may hear the change in my pocket clinging down yonder. Ovetchkin has disappeared from the face of the Earth. Hell, him and Crosby once the poster boys are now in no mans land. Big deals coming. Washington should be involved. They should trade Semin and we need to get rid of Stafford and maybe even Roy who i like. A change of scenary can work wonders. Hunter will not last. Lindy Ruff will be coaching when he is a memory. I do not blame Lindy for our season. I blame mainly the injuries to Miller and Myers for a long stretch but also a couple of guys that need to go. Stafford is at the top of my list.

We will have to keep our eyes open. I think you are right about a big trade. Caps problems in years past were goal tending and a no show power play in the playoffs. They need a player not afraid to go to the goal. Laich used to be that guy but he has been quiet. But now the problem is getting quality minutes from the entire team. D makes too many turn overs. I don't think Carlson was ready. Carlson is not consistent at the point. I've noticed this since he was with the Bears. He should have had more time in the AHL. We we really miss quality defensive stick handlers like Schultz and Green. Why the heck has Hunter refused to give Schultzy a sweater?

I don't blame Lindy either. The Sabres have a tall hill to climb with all their injuries. Even so they still give the caps fits.

We have the pesky Devils tonight. No doubt another showdown between Miller and Broduer. We need this one Lets Go Buff A Lo!!! Ya all look for me Sunday. National TV game. 1230 in the afternoon. They usually take pics near the Creamry stand in between periods. Ill make sure to be there. I paid $368 for two seats. Wife going. And she says "next year your ass will be planted on the couch watching on TV". Buying these tickets without telling me. Oops. I just could not resist.

So the Rick Nash sweepstakes have apparently started with Nash himself stating that he would wave his no trade clause for any one of four unmentioned teams. Sportsnet is suggesting that the four teams are the Rangers, Bruins, LA and Vancouver. Big price tag for anyone who goes after him as his contract is in the 7mil / yr range but Columbus is said to also want at least 3 players in return with a starting goaltender being the key. Speculation in Vancouver is that the Bluejackets want Schneider , Hodgson and Tanev. Personally, I'd love to see Nash in a Canucks uniform but I'd be more willing to trade Luongo before trading Schneider. Again, this is all speculation but one thing for sure, if a deal for Nash happens , no matter who he goes to, it'll most likely start a domino effect that will make trade deadline day very interesting

So the Rick Nash sweepstakes have apparently started with Nash himself stating that he would wave his no trade clause for any one of four unmentioned teams. Sportsnet is suggesting that the four teams are the Rangers, Bruins, LA and Vancouver. Big price tag for anyone who goes after him as his contract is in the 7mil / yr range but Columbus is said to also want at least 3 players in return with a starting goaltender being the key. Speculation in Vancouver is that the Bluejackets want Schneider , Hodgson and Tanev. Personally, I'd love to see Nash in a Canucks uniform but I'd be more willing to trade Luongo before trading Schneider. Again, this is all speculation but one thing for sure, if a deal for Nash happens , no matter who he goes to, it'll most likely start a domino effect that will make trade deadline day very interesting

The Canucks should pull the trigger on that one. Having Schneider and Luongo both is not going to serve them well in the long run and is not going to put them over the top. I believe they can win it now with what they have. But Nash would make them just nuts. I think last night sealed Roy's fate as a Sabre. Took some stupid tripping penalties the last a killer and Ruff looked right through him. Gone in two weeks.

^^^ Regardless of where Nash ends up, he will go to a contender and whoever that team turns out to be, they will become instantly better and a real threat to win the cup. That'll force the hands of other teams who thought they had a chance and I won't be suprised if a few big name players change clubs. Cory Perry, Ryan Getzlaf . Vinny Lacaveler, Marty St Louis... all come to mind

Edited by ally

^^^ Regardless of where Nash ends up, he will go to a contender and whoever that team turns out to be, they will become instantly better and a real threat to win the cup. That'll force the hands of other teams who thought they had a chance and I won't be suprised if a few big name players change clubs. Cory Perry, Ryan Getzlaf . Vinny Lacaveler, Marty St Louis... all come to mind

The new Bleacher report just came out and according to their sources LA and the Rangers have the most interest in Nash. I know the Sabres are interested but would have to do alot of cap freeing. Vancouver was not mentioned. But as much as I wanted the guy and also wanted Ray Whitney, it does not mean gauranteed success. Right now I am leaning towards a rematch of the 94 finals with a different outcome. I like Vancouver to take down the Rangers at the moment. St Louis would be my second choice in the West. I do not care about Detroit's home winning streak. They will not beat the Canucks in a series. St Louis has the defense to give anyone fits. The Rangers are playing the best in the East but their lack of offense could be their downfall in the end. But they are playing great and I must give them credit.