The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Carefull what you don't wish for Pat ! The kid still has it and I think a change of scenery may make us regret that he's gone ;)

I know I should be thrilled, but just a gut feeling says that he just doesn't have that special it that makes a player show up in the most important games. He's got that quality to him that makes people doubt whether he'll fold in the worst times, let in that one goal that breaks the team's back. And he has. Again and again. I was totally expecting it to happen in the Olympics and was shocked when it didn't.

Plus there's that franchise pursebreaking contract that will handcuff a team in the long run.

But mostly it's the gut feeling... hey maybe the Habs are interested :P

I know I should be thrilled, but just a gut feeling says that he just doesn't have that special it that makes a player show up in the most important games. He's got that quality to him that makes people doubt whether he'll fold in the worst times, let in that one goal that breaks the team's back. And he has. Again and again. I was totally expecting it to happen in the Olympics and was shocked when it didn't.

Plus there's that franchise pursebreaking contract that will handcuff a team in the long run.

But mostly it's the gut feeling... hey maybe the Habs are interested :P

I think Vancouver...check that, I KNOW, Vancouver is the toughest city in the league to play in when you've signed a big contract. Something about the fans in this city who love throwing an unrealistic expectatuion on a player and tearing him down to size. Look at Brian Burke who laughed at a Toronto reporter when asked if the press there was too hard on him. His response was ... listen, I was GM in Vancouver :lol: . As it happens, I agree with your assesment of Luongo but, his big contract was front end loaded so he'll be a lot cheaper now than he would have been a couple of years ago. He's also waved his no trade clause and if he was traded to the right club, he'd probably be willing to renegotiate. Not saying he's the the answer but I'll bet the Leafs could get him at a fair price and still have room to bring in another player or two. That wouldn't happen with Kiprisoff ;)

Face it Black Dawg, your boys played well. But they are going to lose.

We are taking it back to NYC!! Last night was a great game from a fan's perspective. The crowd had amazing energy like I have never seen before. OV's one timer seemed to spark the powder keg. The boys need to carry this energy into MSG and silence their critics. I'll give credit to Hunter's game plan that exploited the Ranger's weakness, to get back into the zone, by placing speed players in the right spot. The Rangers are still a dangerous squad with their hard hits and scrappy play. However they showed they were vulnerable to packed in zone if their shots don't get through.

Maaaan Philly's playing dirty tonight. Mean pricks.

And you're surprised by this? That's been Philly's MO my entire lifetime. Go back to newspapers in the 90s, 80s, 70s...and you'll see the same refrain time and time again: the Flyers play dirty.

It's like the sun rising in the east.

Good on the Caps evening the series up. My first instinct is to go with the Rangers at home in game 7, but ANYTHING can happen in a Game 7.

And you're surprised by this? That's been Philly's MO my entire lifetime. Go back to newspapers in the 90s, 80s, 70s...and you'll see the same refrain time and time again: the Flyers play dirty.

Good on the Caps evening the series up. My first instinct is to go with the Rangers at home in game 7, but ANYTHING can happen in a Game 7.

Nobody is happier than me to see the Flyers out of it. I believe the Devils may win the East now. I am not impressed with the Rangers having so much trouble disposing of Washington,. Who would have ever picked a Kings vs Coyotes Western final? I liked the Blues to play either the Kings or Canucks. So I am not surprised to see the Kings there. But Phoenix yes especially after they played so badly towards the end. I am cheering for the Kings all the way.

I think Vancouver...check that, I KNOW, Vancouver is the toughest city in the league to play in when you've signed a big contract. Something about the fans in this city who love throwing an unrealistic expectatuion on a player and tearing him down to size. Look at Brian Burke who laughed at a Toronto reporter when asked if the press there was too hard on him. His response was ... listen, I was GM in Vancouver :lol: . As it happens, I agree with your assesment of Luongo but, his big contract was front end loaded so he'll be a lot cheaper now than he would have been a couple of years ago. He's also waved his no trade clause and if he was traded to the right club, he'd probably be willing to renegotiate. Not saying he's the the answer but I'll bet the Leafs could get him at a fair price and still have room to bring in another player or two. That wouldn't happen with Kiprisoff ;)

Surprising to hear that it's harder to play in Vancouver rather than, say, here or NY or Boston or Montreal, especially Montreal what with its high strung fan base over reacting to any little trigger (coach isn't fluent in French!!! The world is ending!!!!!) But anyway, I didn't know about Luongo's contract being front loaded. I guess that makes it more palatable. And now that you need a second line center (?), something can be done, depending on the cost. Still, he hasn't proven to have that killer instinct. You have to ask why Vancouver is letting him go, right? Sometimes guys get into a funk and play better in a change of scenery, sometimes said change of scenery is only a temporary high.

Not surprised in the least, just exasperated more than anything. When the pressure's on, sure teams get desperate and play a rougher style or take more risks, but with Philly you pretty much get the feeling that they resort to the goons they really are at heart, no matter how much talent they veneer themselves with. See ya, Flyers muahahahaha!

I can't decide who I dislike more - Ovy or Tortorella - so I don't care who wins so long as it's a great game.

I just cannot imagine Wash winning game seven. We know the talented teams are all gone. The most talented teams are gone for sure. Its a strange year. The Devils must be commended as I never saw them coming. The Kings I have always liked since way way back. i had them as one of three teams in the West that would get to the finals behind St Louis and the Canucks. But I thought it was close. The Canucks had the firepower and St Louis may have had the best team this year but the injury to Halak was a killer. just like ours to Miller. I now believe the Devils will meet the kings. Time will tell

Surprising to hear that it's harder to play in Vancouver rather than, say, here or NY or Boston or Montreal, especially Montreal what with its high strung fan base over reacting to any little trigger (coach isn't fluent in French!!! The world is ending!!!!!) But anyway, I didn't know about Luongo's contract being front loaded. I guess that makes it more palatable. And now that you need a second line center (?), something can be done, depending on the cost. Still, he hasn't proven to have that killer instinct. You have to ask why Vancouver is letting him go, right? Sometimes guys get into a funk and play better in a change of scenery, sometimes said change of scenery is only a temporary high.

Well, if not the toughest then Vancouver is certainly the most fickled city in the league. Even though most were suprised at the length of the deal, the vast majority of Canuck fans and media were pretty happy when Gillis signed Luongo to that big contract and most felt he deserved to be rewarded for his stellar play. Most, including myself, thought he was the one player who would get us over the hump . The minute he signed it, he became the fall guy. Didn't matter how well he played. Same with the Sedins. On a good night, they're known as the twins. On an off night, the sisters should be traded :lol: . BTW, there's no way we trade Luongo if we don't have a ready to start Cory Schneider . With the cap and the club looking at retooling , there's just no way we can keep both. As for a second line center, Nov/Dec is not that far into the season so unless it turns out that Kesler will be out longer than that and/or we get off to a terrible start, I can't see management doing much to replace him

Ok, I'm in.

So 'The Flyers' are my target, huh? I see there's a lot of interest in them. More than all the other teams combined. So what are they, the Man Utd of hockey? And why is there so much interest in a team from Philadelphia? I thought Philly was supposed to suck?

Found this for my avatar - any good?

5978_340.jpg

Awaiting further orders.

They will just love you until you go off on them. Tell them Buffalo Rick says the Flyyers suck the root and Buffalo will bury them next year.

They reacted to the avatar already. They said if I really want to get under someone's skin, I should change the avatar to show a canuck in the trash. I don't know what this means?

I think they like my member name too (Hugo Pfister).

Well a Vancouver Canuck they are referring to that team. They are full of crap and lying to you. They are Flyers fans and trashing the Flyers pisses them off. Tell them they are dreamers if they think they will go anywhere. They know you are a Brit so that tells them you are only into soccer and are on a mission for me. One guy has my pictuer in a gladiators suit. fucking animals.

^ Yeah well, I posted all that stuff, and I had a few things of my own to say as well. The way they have treated you there is abominable.

And now they're accusing me of being a 'Philly.com poster', whatever the hell that means...man, I just don't understand how you lot can get so worked up over a dumb-ass girly sport. WTF.

You see what a bunch of arseholes they are? Bastards every last one of them.

Rangers advance. Caps go home and Holtby can spend some time with his new born.

Rangers v. Devils for the East Finals.

Tough luck BD. I have to say the Caps really suprised me during this playoff season. Finally, it looks as though you guy's have found a coach who knows how to use Ovetchkin properly. Holtby looks like the real deal too. Good luck next season :beer:

Archived