The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

No I have never seen Jack Nicholson at a Kings game...so I don't want to see him show up now, like some bandwagon-jumper.

The stars that are truly hockey fans and that have been going to Kings games for quite some time, and not just during this playoff run, are people like Matthew Perry(from "Friends"), Tom Hanks, Sly Stallone, David Beckham, Alyssa Milano, and the South Park guys. In fact, you don't see it on the tv broadcasts unfortunately, but the South Park dudes make special in-house South Park videos to show on the video screens during the game breaks. They're hilarious.

Kobe Bryant has been showing up at games, especially now that his Lakers have been eliminated.

But who needs celebs at the game anyway...it's better to have 18,000 die-hard hockey fans screaming their lungs out. Besides, who needs Jack when you have Hockey Royalty Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier sitting side-by-side in the arena. Now that's STAR POWER!

I'm still tingling from tonight's win...what utter domination they displayed tonight. I literally can't think straight, so I will wait until morning to post more about the game and my feelings as I witness history in the making.

Plus, I have to decide if I want to spend $300 or more for a ticket to game 4.

$300 for a Cup game final is a joke. On the East coast or in Canada it would be a $1000!! They pay that for a Montreal Toronto regular seaon game. Hell, a saturday night game in the best seats is almost $300. Where the hell can you get a ticket for $300? Grab it now if you really can. That is a steal.

$300 for a Cup game final is a joke. On the East coast or in Canada it would be a $1000!! They pay that for a Montreal Toronto regular seaon game. Hell, a saturday night game in the best seats is almost $300. Where the hell can you get a ticket for $300? Grab it now if you really can. That is a steal.

C'mon Rick, I said $300 or more…and "more" is definitely the operating word.

$300 was more or less the face value of the cheap seats in the nose bleed section of the upper deck. Of course, the game is sold out so "face value" is out the window.

I checked stubhub this morning and ticket prices for game 4 ranged from $600 in the upper deck to $12,000 and up for seats along the glass. Yikes!

ESPN can kiss my ass (Hannah Storm and Sage Steele excepted of course)!!! I turned on Sports Center this morning to see the highlights of the Kings victory while eating my breakfast. After an hour of NBA and golf and football(do we REALLY need news about NFL OTA's in June?!?), they finally spent about a minute on the hockey game just before the end of the show.

FUCK YOU BRISTOL!!!

C'mon Rick, I said $300 or more…and "more" is definitely the operating word.

$300 was more or less the face value of the cheap seats in the nose bleed section of the upper deck. Of course, the game is sold out so "face value" is out the window.

I checked stubhub this morning and ticket prices for game 4 ranged from $600 in the upper deck to $12,000 and up for seats along the glass. Yikes!

ESPN can kiss my ass (Hannah Storm and Sage Steele excepted of course)!!! I turned on Sports Center this morning to see the highlights of the Kings victory while eating my breakfast. After an hour of NBA and golf and football(do we REALLY need news about NFL OTA's in June?!?), they finally spent about a minute on the hockey game just before the end of the show.

FUCK YOU BRISTOL!!!

I am in full agreement. ESPN is kidding themselves with their attempt to snub the NHL> The NHL does not need ESPN and have proven so since the lockout. ESPN is run by idiots. Hockey is doing great and we do not need them. I did happen to turn it on and the Kings highlights were on. But i know what you mean. Golf to me is pure shit. Not a sport but a game. Nothing is more exciting than hockey. I cant believe the Los Angelos Kings are within one game of the Cup. I sure hope they win it on home ice. For some reason the Cup seems to be won on the road more often than at home. This one is special. I have liked the Kings since the late 60s. Loved the old gold and purple uniforms. I remember when they had Rogy and Dionne. They were not able to comete with those Montreal teams back then but who could. They have always been on my top 5. Sabres are my team but after that I like Canucks, Kings, Blues and not much of any others.

I am so happy for the Kings and am very confident they will get the job done. Personally, and I have stated this well before this years playoffs, I do not think home ice is any advantage in hockey an at times can even be a disadvantage as it can distract teams and make them lazy. It can also make them more prone to trying to be fancy or cute out there, trying to make fancy plays to entertain the home crowd. I am quite sure that will not happen against a Devils team with a reputation for being able to battle back and be very physical. The Devils will not quit and the Kings know it. And they will not be a nervous team either. They are a battle tested veteran team and can be any teams worst nightmare. Ask the Flyers and the Rangers. I know most of these guys on the Kings team do not know a thing about what happened in 1993 or care less. Us old fans that are fanatics remember like it was yesterday Just like my Sabres in 1975 were robbed by a hot goalie and were the better team, the Kings were the better team with Gretsky and were stoned by Patrick Roy. It sucks when you know you are the better team and get whacked. But this time the Kings have their answer to the hall of famer on the other side. All due respect to Marty as a player and a person,( how can anyone dislike Marty Broduer?), but Quick is on fire and can ice the Devils and send them to hell in a handbasket. I admire the Devils coach and all he has done this year. And I commend them for ridding us of the Flyers and Rangers who both have terrible and classless fans. But I am with the Kings all the way baby. I will be so happy for them if they get it done. After that, i want the Sabres, Blues and Canucks to have their day. And I believe they all will soon. Of the three I just mentioned I believe one of them will be the winner next year. Go Kings!!!!!

Ive been a Islander/Hockey fan for close to 40 years and i have to respectfully disagree with you that it is my opinion that the Home team especially in Hockey has a huge advantage as they get the advantage on faceoffs by countering the visiting team player matchups.

Also, i have never seen a lazy hockey team in any playoff game ever whether its the home team or visiting team. Have there been totall mismatches? Sure as in any sport but the effort is always there IMO.

Personally, i have always viewed hockey as being the 1 sport where there is a tremenous amout of pride and feel they could care less about being fancy or cute especially in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Good luck to the Kings as you guys are everything as advertised and more!

Ive been a Islander/Hockey fan for close to 40 years and i have to respectfully disagree with you that it is my opinion that the Home team especially in Hockey has a huge advantage as they get the advantage on faceoffs by countering the visiting team player matchups.

Also, i have never seen a lazy hockey team in any playoff game ever whether its the home team or visiting team. Have there been totall mismatches? Sure as in any sport but the effort is always there IMO.

Personally, i have always viewed hockey as being the 1 sport where there is a tremenous amout of pride and feel they could care less about being fancy or cute especially in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I was not referring to the Cup finals. Not comparing it to the regular season. I am just saying, basketball it is proven to be the one sport where home advantage is the biggest among the major sports. That cannot be disputed. Teams can win on the road in hockey at a high rate. I believe that it bonds teams as they stay together in hotels and do not have the distractions that being at home can bring. Girlfriends, and the ability to go your own way more than you can on the road. As far as being fancy, that applies more to the regular season. I guess I should have been more specific. But aside from the advantage of getting the last line change and all, I do not think being at home in hockey is nearly as big as being home in basketball.

I was not referring to the Cup finals. Not comparing it to the regular season. I am just saying, basketball it is proven to be the one sport where home advantage is the biggest among the major sports. That cannot be disputed. Teams can win on the road in hockey at a high rate. I believe that it bonds teams as they stay together in hotels and do not have the distractions that being at home can bring. Girlfriends, and the ability to go your own way more than you can on the road. As far as being fancy, that applies more to the regular season. I guess I should have been more specific. But aside from the advantage of getting the last line change and all, I do not think being at home in hockey is nearly as big as being home in basketball.

Strategically, how does the home team in Basketball have a bigger advantage? Just curious. Im not a basketball fan and dont know the game well enough to comment on it.

In Hockey, having the last line change on faceoffs and being able to decide which player matchups you prefer to me helps the Home team control the flow of the game and when you play in a tight game i feel it becomes even more of an advantage whether its regular season or playoffs. Just my opinion of course.

As far as the distractions you mentioned, i dont read into all of that. These are professional athletes. they wouldnt be where they are if they were easily distracted.

Strategically, how does the home team in Basketball have a bigger advantage? Just curious. Im not a basketball fan and dont know the game well enough to comment on it.

In Hockey, having the last line change on faceoffs and being able to decide which player matchups you prefer to me helps the Home team control the flow of the game and when you play in a tight game i feel it becomes even more of an advantage whether its regular season or playoffs. Just my opinion of course.

As far as the distractions you mentioned, i dont read into all of that. These are professional athletes. they wouldnt be where they are if they were easily distracted.

Well they are distracted easily enough when they are not playing sports. Getting into all kinds of trouble in bars and with women and drugs. As for basketball, I cannot explaiin why, but the facts and stats speak for themselves. Being at home in the NBA is very big in basketball. Its the toughest of the four major sports to win on the road. There are always exceptions in sports. For some reason the Knicks always seemed to play better on the road than at home. But looking at the big picture, home court is a bigger advantage than home ice or home field.

Let's go Kings.... I'll be wearing my Rangers Robitaille jersey, its the only thing i have thats Kings related in any way.

It would be just great to see them win at home. Even though I must accuse LA of not being true hockey fans. They do not have the passion that cities in Canada or the Northeastern USA has for the game. Sure they will have it tomorrow with the Cup in the building and its the first time EVER that they can be holding it at nights end. I have always liked the Kings but I do not think they have had the support they should have had being in a city of its size. But I guess its tough to compete with the Lakers given all the titles they have won. Lets hope they end it tomorrow. I am kind of laughing inside that the Devils even think they can come back and win four in a row. Against this goalie? Yeah right.

What a joke ESPN is. You are right Strider. Nothing but b ball over and over. The Kings can win the Cup for the first time ever tonight and they are not on it. To hell with them. There is a ton of interest and excitement. I am going to write them at some point and tell them how irresponsible they are as journalists. They can take their golf and all the other crap and shove it up their butts.

Thank you zeplives66 for your well wishes to the Kings.

It's still not over by any means to my mind. I've seen the Kings suffer for too long to get cocky now and count my chickens before they hatch. I was going to write a long post trying to encapsulate my feelings about the Kings play in this Stanley Cup...but I'm too nervous to think straight. And I'm afraid I'll jinx them somehow by getting ahead of myself.

Maybe after the game tonight, win or lose, I'll post my thoughts.

In the meantime, to add to what LedZepfan77 was saying, it is a verifiable fact(I've checked the research) that the NHL has the least home-advantage of the 4 major sports.

The NBA has the highest home-court advantage, followed by the NFL and then MLB baseball. The NHL is dead last...more road teams win in hockey than the other sports.

Hell yes, Rick, bring back the Purple-and-Gold jerseys! Although, as a Raider fan, I can't complain about silver-and-black.

Heading down to Staples now...gonna try to score a ticket.

GO KINGS GO!!! JERSEY BLOWS!

Thank you zeplives66 for your well wishes to the Kings.

It's still not over by any means to my mind. I've seen the Kings suffer for too long to get cocky now and count my chickens before they hatch. I was going to write a long post trying to encapsulate my feelings about the Kings play in this Stanley Cup...but I'm too nervous to think straight. And I'm afraid I'll jinx them somehow by getting ahead of myself.

Maybe after the game tonight, win or lose, I'll post my thoughts.

In the meantime, to add to what LedZepfan77 was saying, it is a verifiable fact(I've checked the research) that the NHL has the least home-advantage of the 4 major sports.

The NBA has the highest home-court advantage, followed by the NFL and then MLB baseball. The NHL is dead last...more road teams win in hockey than the other sports.

Hell yes, Rick, bring back the Purple-and-Gold jerseys! Although, as a Raider fan, I can't complain about silver-and-black.

Heading down to Staples now...gonna try to score a ticket.

GO KINGS GO!!! JERSEY BLOWS!

Its tough to beat a team four straight. No big deal. I believe they will end it in New Jersey. Unfortunate for those paying fans that expected it happen last night. But the Kings have not lost a road game. I do not expect it to change. No way are they going to blow the series. New Jersey has too big a mountain to climb.

So this must have been the reason the Kings lost last night.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/07/charlie-sheen-staples-center-la-kings-rant/

I know everybody wants to bash on Charlie, but I'm sorry...where ARE the smokers supposed to go then, if not outside, when they aren't allowed to smoke inside?

And I bet you any amount of money this rent-a-cop gets fired! There's no excuse for a Staples Center employee to swear at a customer. The rule is no matter how belligerent a person gets with you, professional rules of decorum mandate you to maintain your cool and act PROFESSIONALLY! It sounds like this girl lost her cool and for that, she should be canned on the spot...I guess she's never seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", where Brad Hamilton loses his cushy job at All-American Burger for swearing at a customer.

Plus, I bet she showed some attitude towards Mr. Sheen herself...she looks like a Kim Kardashian wannabe; L.A. is filled with these ho's.

So this must have been the reason the Kings lost last night.

http://www.tmz.com/2...-la-kings-rant/

I know everybody wants to bash on Charlie, but I'm sorry...where ARE the smokers supposed to go then, if not outside, when they aren't allowed to smoke inside?

And I bet you any amount of money this rent-a-cop gets fired! There's no excuse for a Staples Center employee to swear at a customer. The rule is no matter how belligerent a person gets with you, professional rules of decorum mandate you to maintain your cool and act PROFESSIONALLY! It sounds like this girl lost her cool and for that, she should be canned on the spot...I guess she's never seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", where Brad Hamilton loses his cushy job at All-American Burger for swearing at a customer.

Plus, I bet she showed some attitude towards Mr. Sheen herself...she looks like a Kim Kardashian wannabe; L.A. is filled with these ho's.

:blink:

If I were a betting man, my money would be on the Devils for Game 5. I would even go as far as i think it will be a shutout. This series is alot closer then the record shows. Ultimately, I feel the Kings will win the series in either game 6 or 7. They are bigger and stronger and more well rested and Quick is playin unbelievable! The Devils have played 6 more playoff games then the Kings. Thats alot. Gotta give Deboer credit for the risky moves he made for game 4. When the Kings hit the post twice in the 1st period and the way Marty was playin i had a feeling they werent going to lose that game. Even stil, just like games 1 & 2 either team could have won.

I didnt see any trash talking except during the game which is where it belongs.

On a side note - Did anyone see the blonde with the 44 triple D's sitting right behind Deboer and the Devils bench during game 4? At one point they showed a closeup of Deboer and she was pressed up against the glass and all you saw was Deboer head/face and this huge cleavage. I wonder if she was put there on purpose? lol..... Also props to Kings fans that were holding up the Jersey Shore cast Lifesize photo's right behind the Devils bench. i thought that was hysterical!!!

Agreed, that was a really well played game by both teams! Cant believe Quick screwed up on the Parise goal. Im changing my prediction that if there is a game 7 i am going with the Devils as I feel Home Ice will be a huge advantage and the Kings know it. Even though the Devils have momentum and the pressure will be on the Kings in game 6, i have a gut feeling that the Kings will break out with a huge offensive game 6. Cant say i wouldnt love to see it go 7 though! Either way its been a great series so far!!!

Strider - Hang in there buddy. I hope you get to sip or should i say guzzle out of Lord Stanley's cup as i can hear Lord Stanley walking down a country lane singing a song and calling your name!!! STRIDER!!!

BTW, the only reason why i am partial to the Kings which is very pety and trivial on my part is that i dont want to see the Devils win a 4th cup as in my eyes i still see the Islanders as having bragging rights in the NY/NJ area. I know it's stupid! The Islanders had 1 of the best teams ever and are the last major professional sports team to win 4 championships in a row. Also, I have to say that Brodeur is reminding me of Smitty(best playoff goalie of all time) especially in last night's game 5.

I say the Kings will get it done next game. And I do not agree. If it goes 7 the Kings are 9-1 on the road. So being at home means nothing for the Devils. Hell the only reason the building is even sold out is because its the finals. I want the Kings big time of course. Neither of these teams have deserving fan bases to win the Cup anyway. Neither of them, especially the Devils sell out on a regular basis during the season. I say the Kings bury them in the next game.

I say the Kings will get it done next game. And I do not agree. If it goes 7 the Kings are 9-1 on the road. So being at home means nothing for the Devils. Hell the only reason the building is even sold out is because its the finals. I want the Kings big time of course. Neither of these teams have deserving fan bases to win the Cup anyway. Neither of them, especially the Devils sell out on a regular basis during the season. I say the Kings bury them in the next game.

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Why the nasty tone bro?

You sound like the winey ranger fans who could only pick on the Devils fanbase after the Devils beat them in Conf. Finals. Does that mean the Rangers dont have good loyal deserving fans? Why make a statement " Neither of these teams have deserving fan bases to win the Cup anyway"? How the fuck do you know and who the fuck cares man??? Fans are fans. Theres a great series to watch and discuss. I dont think the players on either team right now care about their road record or how much more loyal their fanbase is against the team their facing fanbase. They have TOO MUCH RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER and are going to play their hearts out to win!!! THIS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!!! You talk about everything but the game and then accuse someone of trash talking. Look in the mirror.

You remind me of some who takes sports way too seriously and who's mood depends on what their team did or didnt do the night before. If this is the case, please refrain from responding to my post or any future posts in any thread on this forum. Thanks.

p.s - if you take that chip off your shoulder you might see the number of confrontations you have on this forum decrease unless you dont want that to happen.......????

I am only saying its pretty damn sad when you have a winning team like the Devils and you cannot sell out games. It says that your fan base fucking sucks.

PS the quarrels I have are basically with some that have known me for years and have disliked me for years.

I am only saying its pretty damn sad when you have a winning team like the Devils and you cannot sell out games. It says that your fan base fucking sucks.

And you still sound like a winey ranger fan.........

There are alot of contributing factors as to why they dont sell out. I would discuss but at this point i could care less and only want to discuss the Kings/Devils series and Hockey.

..........Lets go Rangers.....2013.........

and 2014-2040 when the 100 year anniversary of when the Rangers last won the cup honestly and with dignity in 1940!!! Sorry the 1 in 94 is only a half a cup as they shared the other half with the Edmonton Oilers.

:hysterical:

Archived