The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Quick certainly deserves the MVP. No doubt. In my mind Mike Richards was a real key to this teams success. Sure, Doughty and Brown must get their due. But Mike Richards was a difference maker at some very crucial times. It will be interesting to see who comes back and what kind of desire they have next year. Its tough to keep that burning desire and fire going after you taste success. You can then take your foot off the gas pedal so to speak. Gone are the days of dynasty teams like those from Edmonton and the Islanders and the great Montreal teams of the 60's and 70's. With so many teams its very difficult to get back to the conference finals let alone win the Cup again. Does this team win the Cup if Quick doesnt get hot? Probably not but give them credit for being a heck of a defensive team and having enough offense to get it done.Somewhere Marcel Dionne is smiling.

You remind me of some who takes sports way too seriously and who's mood depends on what their team did or didnt do the night before.

Another side effect of degenerate gambling.... Nobody "deserves" anything in sports, btw, you get what you get (and hopefully earn) - fans, players and franchises.

Congrats to the LA Kings.

Yes, but the one in 94' casts a shadow over your 4 cups in the 80's that will never fade. You know this to be true. Its the same shadow that prevets your teams fan base or the assholes over in NJ from filling up your buildings.

Wrong! That Islander team that won 4 in a row is one of the greatest teams in history....the Rangers was a good story at the the time, but has gone down as a team made up of players better known for their work elsewhere, IMO.

Sad that the Isles have stayed a bad as they have for how long they have though.

And one could argue that Edmonton and Montreal had better teams than both. Its very tough to compare past winners. The Kings were an 8 seed and unless they win again next year they will just be remembered as an 8 seed that got hot at the right time. Which is actually the case. I do not think they are as deep as lets say Vancouver or St Louis but had Quick playing at his best. A hot goalie is tough to beat in hockey. The Devils for the success they have had to me their fan base is a joke. They do not sell out their regular season games. That does not show me that they are a good hockey town. the Leafs have not made the playoffs in ten years and you cannnot get a seat in that building for anything.

Well, I woke up this morning and the headline said the Kings won the Stanley Cup!

So it really did happen...it wasn't a dream. I'm walking on air, so forgive me if I don't feel like posting anything of depth right now...I just want to enjoy the moment and soak it all in. I will definitely be at the Championship Parade Thursday.

Thanks to everyone who sent congratulations...although I had very little to do with the Kings winning, hehe. Earlier in the season when they seemingly couldn't score a goal even if the net was 100 feet wide and they were playing 5-on-1, I pretty much wrote off the season.

I hope any of you who have suffered through a long Stanley Cup drought get to feel what I am feeling very soon. If the Kings can do it, so can your team.

Jonathan Quick now joins the other legendary Los Angeles champions who wore #32: Magic Johnson, Sandy Coufax, Marcus Allen.

Here now, some pictures that I took of what I thought I would never see: Lord Stanley's Cup hoisted in Los Angeles:

post-1470-0-07123500-1339516317.jpg

post-1470-0-62396200-1339516396.jpg

Dustin Brown was accused of using the F word in the interview on national TV but after watching and listening three times I do not hear it myself. Too muffled. But like they say in the arcticle that is the risk when you put a mic up to a player right after a huge and hard fought sporting event.

Its nice I got to live to see the Kings win one. Now in order I want the Sabres, Canucks and Blues. And I believe with all my heart and hockey knowledge it will be one of those three next year.

And one could argue that Edmonton and Montreal had better teams than both. Its very tough to compare past winners.

I didn't say they were THE best team. Obviously Edmonton had great teams in the 80's after finally getting by NYI, Montreal has had some of the greatest teams in history. I just don't put the '94 Rangers in the same league as those other teams.

I didn't say they were THE best team. Obviously Edmonton had great teams in the 80's after finally getting by NYI, Montreal has had some of the greatest teams in history. I just don't put the '94 Rangers in the same league as those other teams.

Agree, especially since they did not make the playoffs the next season

Since there was some discussion on who the best teams (Dynasty) were i thought i would do a little research in the 4 major team sports in north america that being baseball, basketball, hockey and football. This list IS NOT of my opinion but instead based on consecutive championships with consecutive appearances being the tiebreaker. If someone can come up with a better system for judging dynasties by all means, the floor is yours.

The TOP 5 teams are:

1) The 1957-1966 Boston Celtics winning 9 championships in 10 consecutive seasons winning 8 straight from 1959-1966.

2) The 1951-1960 Montreal Canadiens winning 5 straight (1956-1960) and 7 total in 10 straight consecutive appearances in the finals.

3) The 1949-1953 New York Yankees won 5 consecutive world series.

4) The New York Islanders 1980-84 winning 4 straight championships in 5 consecutive seasons The only other team in the 4 sports to be in 5 consecutive finals besides the ones mentioned above are the the 1965-1969 Montreal Canadiens winning 4 of 5 but no more then 2 consecutive. in other words they won in 65,66 lost in 67, won 68,69. Therefore, the Islanders get the edge for consecutive championships.

5) Tied for 5th is the 1936-1939 New York Yankees and the 1976-1979 Montreal Canadiens both winning 4 consecutive championships.

So all in all, this list which was compiled according to my findings on WIKI ( I know they are not the most accurate but it was the easiest to read in order to come up with this list) .I can proudly say and back it up (with no what ifs? scenerios) that The 1980-1984 New York Islanders ARE the 2nd best team in the History of the NHL...... :D

Wrong! That Islander team that won 4 in a row is one of the greatest teams in history....the Rangers was a good story at the the time, but has gone down as a team made up of players better known for their work elsewhere, IMO.

Sad that the Isles have stayed a bad as they have for how long they have though.

Yes its very sad Walter, The New York Islanders situation is dire and unfortunately its not getting better anytime soon. I cant blame ownership (charles wang) or the GM (garth snow) as their hands are tied as far getting talent and keeping the talent as they are losing millions of dollars every year even with a nice tv contract they have with cable. Tha Nassau Coliseum will not let them out of a way out of date lease (which runs to i believe 2015) unless it is rebuilt in which Charles Wang has tried repeatedly to not only build a new Coliseum but also reconstruct the whole area around the Coliseum with malls, museums, restaurants, hotels etc etc. but the Nassau County Board has rejected for enviromental & residential concerns with traffic and upheaval it will cause to an already very congested area. I say its bullshit, as it would create thousands and thousands of jobs as well as be Long Island's major city and hub and create much needed revenue for 1 of the US's highest cost of living county in the country. There has and will always be conjestion in the area with all of the businesses and colleges in its vicinity.

Its a shame, i have so many fond memories of early 70's to the the early 90's seeing concerts, islander games, the circus, car shows, wrestling. I even saw the New York Nets of the ABA with Dr. J in 76 when they won the championship. I can definately tell you that the Coliseum through it all was the place to be for young people on Long Island. I feel bad for the kids now as they just cant afford it. Between the parking, ticket costs and food and concession costs there is no way a 12 or 13 yr old kid can get a part time job to earn enough to treat him or herself to game or a concert like i was able to do at that age. Ah those were the days :lol: Great memories!!!

All in all, i like watching the Islanders now then i did say 5 or 10 yrs ago as i like watching the kids play and develop. Just like the NY Mets are doing now. I know they cant compete with the yankees or rangers financially but at least they are fun to watch again.

And the 1 thing about sports, You just never know when or where the next "Great Team" will emerge but i can tell you if it can happen here on Long Island it can happen anywhere.

So all in all, this list which was compiled according to my findings on WIKI ( I know they are not the most accurate but it was the easiest to read in order to come up with this list) .I can proudly say and back it up (with no what ifs? scenerios) that The 1980-1984 New York Islanders ARE the 2nd best team in the History of the NHL...... :D

I don't care about figures and all that, and since this is the NHL thread, I will limit it to the NHL, but the best hockey team that I saw with my own eyes were the Montreal Canadians of 1976-1979 that won 4 straight Stanley Cups, and more importantly beat the Broad Street Bullies: the Philadelphia Flyers.

Next would be the Edmonton Oilers of Gretzky and Messier and Co.

Sorry, Islanders fans, I was busy in the Army during their reign and only got to see them play sporadically. What I did see didn't impress me as much as the Canadians and Oilers.

I don't care about figures and all that, and since this is the NHL thread, I will limit it to the NHL, but the best hockey team that I saw with my own eyes were the Montreal Canadians of 1976-1979 that won 4 straight Stanley Cups, and more importantly beat the Broad Street Bullies: the Philadelphia Flyers.

Sorry, Islanders fans, I was busy in the Army during their reign and only got to see them play sporadically. What I did see didn't impress me as much as the Canadians and Oilers.

Edmonton was an offensive monster unequaled. Montreal and the Islanders had a more methodical defensive game. Edmonton could have won with anyone in the nets. Fuhr was lucky to be along for the ride. There was nothing that was going to stop them from scoring. But you are comparing teams and its like trying to compare Gretsky, Lemieax and Howe and Orr. Pick the best of those four? You cant.

Seems like you and rick like to use stats when it ONLY supports your cause.

1st off - who are you that the Islanders have to impress you? who fuck cares if you were impressed? If you want to say that you thought montreal and edmonton had better teams, thats fair and have a right to your opinion. I would tend to respectfully disagree. I saw all 3 of those teams. They were all great IMOt! I only measured their success thats it....I by no means was trying to insult those teams at all! I respect the sport too much!!

I did say that the list that I compiled was NOT of my opinion didnt I? It was based on fact not figures or opinions but based on how a dynasty is defined with the criteria i presented which to me i thought was a fair way to judge champions of the sport which is a response to discussion that was had in regards to dynasties.

Your attempt to insult is futile and childish.

You are more then likely still hungover.

Feel better!

Sheesh! Why so aggro zeplives66?

First of all, I don't know you well enough to want to bother trying to insult you...insulting anyone was not the reason nor the intent of my post.

In my haste I should have worded it better...I wasn't saying the stats don't matter, they do. I was merely offering my opinion that, apart from the stats, the Canadiens and the Oilers were the two teams that stood out to me as the best, most memorable hockey teams that I was able to witness.

Obviously, the Islanders were great, too. You don't make 5 Cup finals in a row, winning 4, without being great. It's just that I wasn't able to see them as much, so they aren't imprinted in my mind and memory as much as those other teams.

But it's all a matter of minute degrees anyway, which team is the greatest and all that. Trying to compare teams from different eras makes it tougher.

No need to feel so slighted, though.

I saw the islanders a lot in the 80's, on tv, and they had that box defense that wouldn't let anyone penetrate. Then if they tried to get around the net, Smith would smack 'em around a bit...they were fun! As the 90's progressed, I feel out with the sport - other than sportscenter highlights.

Archived