The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

LEAFS!!! Haha

They did play well, but Im not gonna let a 7-4 game against a Sabre team minus Vanek, Roy, Connolly and Miller (for most of the game) fool me into thinking they will make the playoffs. The Leafs will be bad this year, but thats pretty much a good thing, and hopefully we can stay young and continue to rebuild towards the Cup in a few years.

My projections:

East:

1. Montreal

2. NY Rangers

3. Washington

4. Philadelphia

5. Pittsburgh

6. Buffalo

7. Boston

8. Tampa Bay

9. Ottawa (thats right!)

10. New Jersey

11. Carolina

12. Florida

13. NY Islanders

14. Toronto

15. Atlanta

West:

1. Detroit

2. San Jose

3. Minnesota

4. Anaheim

5. Dallas

6. Chicago

7. Edmonton

8. Calgary

9. Phoenix

10. St. Louis

11. Colorado

12. Columbus

13. Vancouver

14. Nashville

15. Los Angeles

The West is tough, as the only two teams I see having an unrealistic shot at the playoffs is LA and Nashville. Teams 9-13 could make it, but it obviously depends on who stays healthy, performs etc.

Round 1

Montreal def. Tampa Bay

NY Rangers def. Boston

Washington def. Buffalo

Pittsburgh def. Philadelphia

Detroit def. Calgary

San Jose def. Edmonton

Chicago def. Minnesota

Anaheim def. Dallas

Round 2

Montreal def. Pittsburgh

Washington def. NY Rangers

Chicago def. Detroit

San Jose def. Anaheim

Round 3

Washington def. Montreal

San Jose def. Chicago

Stanley Cup

San Jose def. Washington

Hart: Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit

Vezina: Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers

Jack Adams: Denis Savard, Chicago

Norris: Nik Lidstrom, Detroit

Calder: Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay

LEAFS!!! Haha

They did play well, but Im not gonna let a 7-4 game against a Sabre team minus Vanek, Roy, Connolly and Miller (for most of the game) fool me into thinking they will make the playoffs. The Leafs will be bad this year, but thats pretty much a good thing, and hopefully we can stay young and continue to rebuild towards the Cup in a few years.

My projections:

East:

1. Montreal

2. NY Rangers

3. Washington

4. Philadelphia

5. Pittsburgh

6. Buffalo

7. Boston

8. Tampa Bay

9. Ottawa (thats right!)

10. New Jersey

11. Carolina

12. Florida

13. NY Islanders

14. Toronto

15. Atlanta

West:

1. Detroit

2. San Jose

3. Minnesota

4. Anaheim

5. Dallas

6. Chicago

7. Edmonton

8. Calgary

9. Phoenix

10. St. Louis

11. Colorado

12. Columbus

13. Vancouver

14. Nashville

15. Los Angeles

The West is tough, as the only two teams I see having an unrealistic shot at the playoffs is LA and Nashville. Teams 9-13 could make it, but it obviously depends on who stays healthy, performs etc.

Round 1

Montreal def. Tampa Bay

NY Rangers def. Boston

Washington def. Buffalo

Pittsburgh def. Philadelphia

Detroit def. Calgary

San Jose def. Edmonton

Chicago def. Minnesota

Anaheim def. Dallas

Round 2

Montreal def. Pittsburgh

Washington def. NY Rangers

Chicago def. Detroit

San Jose def. Anaheim

Round 3

Washington def. Montreal

San Jose def. Chicago

Stanley Cup

San Jose def. Washington

Hart: Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit

Vezina: Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers

Jack Adams: Denis Savard, Chicago

Norris: Nik Lidstrom, Detroit

Calder: Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay

Only problem I've got with your predictions, Minnesota winning the Northwest? That team did not improve at all in the offseason, and lost more puzzles than they replaced. I still think they're in the hunt, but I think it's going to be a battle of Alberta for the Northwest.

Thanks much. Im glad Im not watching. I see Buffalo has a bunch of rookies in their from Portland and the goon squad. Why in hell are they fighting in a pre season game? Makes no sense. Ill be talking to you during the season I hope. Us hockey fans must stick together. After all, as a Sabres fan, I dont hate the leafs. I hate Philly, Montreal, and Ottawa. In that order. Enjoy the game.

Yeah I don't hate Buffalo either, just the fact we don't play well against them (except tonight ;) )

I think they were giving the farm players a try, and they've got to prove themselves in whatever area of expertise they may have. Including pugilism lol.

Wow, your hate list is almost identical to mine, except I would put it at 3 - Habs 2 - Philly 1 - Sens

Ottawa blows

That said, I think Montreal has a legitimate shot at the finals, and Phoenix will surprise in the west.

See you in the post-game talks, Yukon :beer:

I'm not sure about their defense, but the Hawks have very solid offense and goaltending; So an eye has to be kept on them this season.

I don't want to be too confident over the Habs this season, but I agree with Koivu when he said this seasons roster is the best he's ever started with. They have a team that can make it to the finals, but lets not be too optimistic. ;)

The Blackhawks have a pleathora of good D-men....Campbell, Seabrook, Keith, Barker, Byfuglien (if he isnt playing F). I think it may actually be their strong point (along with a good, although pricey goalie tandem).

As for the Wild, it will be tough to say. I think it will be either them, Calgary or Edmonton. Even though they lost Rolsten and Demitra, they still have arguably th best player in that division in Marion Gaborik, and a good core of young guys in Bouchard, Koivu, Sheppard and Gillies. I like their D with Brent Burns and Marek Zidlicky as the top pairing.

I'm hoping the Hurricanes can get back to the playoffs.We've been injury plagued pretty good for the last year and a half.

Made a few decent acquisitions in the off season.We'll see how that pans out.

Don't give me any shit either,I was in the Bobby Orr fan club in the early 70's :lol: and I was a Whalers fan when they were in Hartford. B)

The Blackhawks have a pleathora of good D-men....Campbell, Seabrook, Keith, Barker, Byfuglien (if he isnt playing F). I think it may actually be their strong point (along with a good, although pricey goalie tandem).

As for the Wild, it will be tough to say. I think it will be either them, Calgary or Edmonton. Even though they lost Rolsten and Demitra, they still have arguably th best player in that division in Marion Gaborik, and a good core of young guys in Bouchard, Koivu, Sheppard and Gillies. I like their D with Brent Burns and Marek Zidlicky as the top pairing.

Spot on, only problem with that is Marion Gaborik is about as dependable throughout a season as Martin Havlat, Petr Forsberg, or Dominik Hasek. I personally see the Wild finishing either very strong, or really weak. But yeah, the Northwest is looking like a three team division right now, as opposed to the toughest division in hockey like it was for several years.

I'm hoping the Hurricanes can get back to the playoffs.We've been injury plagued pretty good for the last year and a half.

Made a few decent acquisitions in the off season.We'll see how that pans out.

Don't give me any shit either,I was in the Bobby Orr fan club in the early 70's :lol: and I was a Whalers fan when they were in Hartford. B)

Enjoy that Joni Pitkanen. What a crapshoot that guy's turned out to be. Heralded as the next possible Niklas Lidstrom type, he's got the talent, I just don't think he has the body(injury problems) or the heart/desire to be an elite player in this league.

Enjoy that Joni Pitkanen. What a crapshoot that guy's turned out to be. Heralded as the next possible Niklas Lidstrom type, he's got the talent, I just don't think he has the body(injury problems) or the heart/desire to be an elite player in this league.

You will enjoy Erik Cole if he stays healthy.I'm gonna miss him.Fun player to watch!

Oh, I know that already. I absolutely LOVE the way Erik Cole plays, it's the perfect style for Edmonton. His injury problems are a bit concerning, but hopefully he stays healthy. He's getting top line minutes right off the bat also. Hell, even if he gets demoted the Oilers are rolling three very solid lines as it is.

Well certainly he was. But Orr could take a game over like no other defenseman ever. He scored over 40 goals in a season as a defenseman and in those days everyone always wondered why they just didnt make him a center. He had as accurate a shot from the point as any Ive ever seen. Not has hard a shooter as McGuinness but more accurate. And he would take the puck behind his net and just come down and bury you. Scott Stevens of the Devils was as good as Lidstrom defensively in his day.

I'm saying that purely defensive, I think Nicklas is the the greatest of all time. Orr was certainly good on offense and also great on defense, I'm not taking anything away from him.

Scott Stevens is awesome, but I still think Lindstrom is better, and so was Ray Borque methinks

Oh, I know that already. I absolutely LOVE the way Erik Cole plays, it's the perfect style for Edmonton. His injury problems are a bit concerning, but hopefully he stays healthy. He's getting top line minutes right off the bat also. Hell, even if he gets demoted the Oilers are rolling three very solid lines as it is.

I hope Edmonton is good this year,my wife is from there and she loves her Oilers.

They're playing a game here this year.Hopefully we can trek up to Raleigh.(2 1/2 hour drive,about like driving from Edmonton to Calgary)She misses Rexall :(

Lidstrom certainly is great. Better than Bourque by far on D and equal if not slightly better than Stevens. As far as shot blockers, thats another argument for another day. There were many. Willing to pay the price of a black and blue shin for stopping one puck. Orr played in a differant era. I miss the days when they skated around with no helmets. Ill never forget a brawl between Boston and Toronto. Around 1969 or so. The coach's pointed towards center ice and the benches cleared and it was a donnybrooke. I mean twenty guys slugging it out with twenty other guys. I remember MCKenzie of Boston had bloood trickling down his face from the penalty box and a grin on his face from ear to ear. Even Orr was fighting. what a sight. You will never see fights like those again.
B)

Lindstrom doesn't ever really need to shot block, he's just that good.

Hi:

I have a confession....I went to a hockey game last night but the Leafs weren't playing...

Forgive me but I'm on holidays and I had to get out of the house and do something different..and get away from the tv and all the bad news and all my worries....

I went to see a pre-season game between the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers at the John Labatt Centre in London...there were a few fights...some guy in the stand held up a big sign asking his grilfriend to marry him...the guys in my row just got sillier by the minute...I ate nachos with salsa and cheese...IT WAS GREAT!!!!

The score by the way was 4-0...I forget who won....

Juliet :cheer:

PS It was 3 years ago this month that Robert and Strange Sensation played in that same place...that was great to!!!! :thumbsup:

Archived