The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I dont know, I used to like it in the old days when they did not wear helmets. You knew who was who and it looked good. Hell, Bobby Orr never wore any head gear and he was not a tough guy so to speak. But its hard to imagine those goalies that did not wear the mask. Remember that? I think Jacque Plante was the first. Of course Gerry Cheevers used to put a mark on his facemask to show where he would have been nailed with the puck. He probably had a major impact on the mask being mandatory. i think The guy that played for and coached Edmonton was the last guy to not wear one. Ally will remember his name. It starts wiith an M and I just cant think of his name. Ah, Mctavish! that is it. McTavish. Am I right Ally?

Rick, scraps are not the only indicator of toughness, but next time you are in youtube, search "Bobby Orr fights". You may be surprised.

Do I even have to say it??? :D

watched it last night.....they've got it going on, that is for sure. I think I heard them say that 17 different guys have had game winner? Maybe it was 13, but regardless, when a team can put a Danny Carcillo on in the last minute of a tie game you know they have no worries lol.....good luck to them, it is good for hockey and definitely good for Chicago.

Rick, scraps are not the only indicator of toughness, but next time you are in youtube, search "Bobby Orr fights". You may be surprised.

Well I think I saw the best fight ever back in the late 60's or early 70's between the Bruins and Leafs. Bench clearing brawl that went on for an eternity. It was like something you would never see happen again in this age. The fines and penalties would be ridiculous.

Well I think I saw the best fight ever back in the late 60's or early 70's between the Bruins and Leafs. Bench clearing brawl that went on for an eternity. It was like something you would never see happen again in this age. The fines and penalties would be ridiculous.

there was also a "barn burner" with the Leafs and the Kings where my favorite Leaf of all time, Jim Dorey, got 48 pims in that game. Back in the 70's all I ever got to see were Leaf games and the media coverage on the league was not like today. When I watch old clips of Sabres/Bruins, Canadians/Bruins or Chicago/Detroit, there were some wars going on back them for sure.

there was also a "barn burner" with the Leafs and the Kings where my favorite Leaf of all time, Jim Dorey, got 48 pims in that game. Back in the 70's all I ever got to see were Leaf games and the media coverage on the league was not like today. When I watch old clips of Sabres/Bruins, Canadians/Bruins or Chicago/Detroit, there were some wars going on back them for sure.

Don't forget the Flyers and Leafs. Mind you, back in the 70's you could have said the Flyers and...anybody :lol:

Don't forget the Flyers and Leafs. Mind you, back in the 70's you could have said the Flyers and...anybody :lol:

yeah for sure ally. Absolutley. Salming was one of the bravest guys I ever watched back then. Those Flyers really tried to "kill" him lol...Shultz, Saleski, Kelly, Homgren etc......One vivid memory I have is Sittler dropping the gloves with Holmgren and hanging in there with him, even buckling his knees a little. Sittler was a great Captain ruined by f-ing Ballard. He deserved to have his name on a cup but is still held high around here. Always will be.....

yeah for sure ally. Absolutley. Salming was one of the bravest guys I ever watched back then. Those Flyers really tried to "kill" him lol...Shultz, Saleski, Kelly, Homgren etc......One vivid memory I have is Sittler dropping the gloves with Holmgren and hanging in there with him, even buckling his knees a little. Sittler was a great Captain ruined by f-ing Ballard. He deserved to have his name on a cup but is still held high around here. Always will be.....

I couldn't agree more about Sittler. Even though he ended up getting his name on the cup with Calgary, you could put Lanny McDonald in the same boat.

The Canucks had a lousy team back then but, it was a tough team and the Flyers did not like coming into Vancouver to play us. I remember the Flyers bench going into the crowd one night here and all hell broke loose. Not sure who was tougher back then :D

I couldn't agree more about Sittler. Even though he ended up getting his name on the cup with Calgary, you could put Lanny McDonald in the same boat.

The Canucks had a lousy team back then but, it was a tough team and the Flyers did not like coming into Vancouver to play us. I remember the Flyers bench going into the crowd one night here and all hell broke loose. Not sure who was tougher back then :D

those were the day's lol....

those were the day's lol....

They were but I have to admit that I don't miss them. To me, the game in the last 25 yrs has been better than it ever was. Like them or not, I think we need to thank the Gretzky led Edmonton Oilers for that. Don't get me wrong, I still like to see the odd scrap but overall, I much prefer the faster pace of todays game

I miss the fights like the one where Derek Sanderson and Mike Milbury and the Bruins climbed into the stands to brawl with the fans. Ty Domi dragging that guy into the penalty box. Those green men in Vancouver are pushing their luck. Maybe Kaleta will get one of them. LOL

They were but I have to admit that I don't miss them. To me, the game in the last 25 yrs has been better than it ever was. Like them or not, I think we need to thank the Gretzky led Edmonton Oilers for that. Don't get me wrong, I still like to see the odd scrap but overall, I much prefer the faster pace of todays game

Although I am a huge NHL fan, my favorite hockey is the Olympics with the pros.......no fights and pretty much nothing but speed, skill and clean body contact.....I could live without fighting in the NHL but I never turn the channel when two guys go at it. I just don'e want to see guys get hurt, and these guys are bigger and stronger than ever.

Always loved the quote from Gretzky when he was asked if hockey fights were real. He replied that if they weren't real, he'd be in a lot more of em...lol

I miss the fights like the one where Derek Sanderson and Mike Milbury and the Bruins climbed into the stands to brawl with the fans. Ty Domi dragging that guy into the penalty box. Those green men in Vancouver are pushing their luck. Maybe Kaleta will get one of them. LOL

I think it would be hillarious if a player jumped out of the penalty box and went after them. That player would be first star of the game for sure :lol:

I think it would be hillarious if a player jumped out of the penalty box and went after them. That player would be first star of the game for sure :lol:

Reminds me of the Hanson fight about :55. Steve (Hanson) Carlson #17 played in The AHL in the 80's for the Baltimore Skipjacks. Every time I saw him skate I laughed. He had the most fluid skating style but so distinctive.

I bet on your home boys tonight BD. I parlayed them. Used Sabres on one. Detroit and vancouver on another. And I also bet St louis, the Toronto/Boston game over and Tampa. I have Wash with St louis and Van on one. I layed a goal on one also. Thiink Wash will beat Florida by more than a goal. St Louis is due to wake up. Phoenix has been letting me down so Ill go agaisnt them tonight. I am sure hoping the Sabres send the Devils to thier 7th st loss. I am quite sure Broduer will get the call. They will be after us for Saturday. Miller and Ziplickity have a feud going. Maybe he will swing the lumber?

I bet on your home boys tonight BD. I parlayed them. Used Sabres on one. Detroit and vancouver on another. And I also bet St louis, the Toronto/Boston game over and Tampa. I have Wash with St louis and Van on one. I layed a goal on one also. Thiink Wash will beat Florida by more than a goal. St Louis is due to wake up. Phoenix has been letting me down so Ill go agaisnt them tonight. I am sure hoping the Sabres send the Devils to thier 7th st loss. I am quite sure Broduer will get the call. They will be after us for Saturday. Miller and Ziplickity have a feud going. Maybe he will swing the lumber?

The Caps shouldn't let you down they're up 5 zip with 5 left in 2nd.

The Caps shouldn't let you down they're up 5 zip with 5 left in 2nd.

I am aware. And my boys are up on the Devils in Jersey 1-0 after 2. We have outplayed them and Enroth has made a few beauties. He had balls resting Miller and its paying off so far. We need this one. I hope the Islanders hold on against the Rangers. We need some of the teams above us to lose

I am aware. And my boys are up on the Devils in Jersey 1-0 after 2. We have outplayed them and Enroth has made a few beauties. He had balls resting Miller and its paying off so far. We need this one. I hope the Islanders hold on against the Rangers. We need some of the teams above us to lose

Just take of your end the standings will take care of themselves. - I want to give this quote to Buck Showalter but I am not sure if it is originally his.

Just take of your end the standings will take care of themselves. - I want to give this quote to Buck Showalter but I am not sure if it is originally his.

We know Montreal is not as good as their record. Nor Carolina. They have been lucky. We outshot Carolina 40-28 and get beat. Its been a nightmare of a first half. Cost Lindy his Job. I do not know what to think yet, but at leat Rolston has them playing. Vanek scored a nice one, blasted it by Hedberg. I was sure Broduer would be back. Not. Not that it would have mattered. Hedberg has been good too. We have to make this hold up. Your Caps have really played well lately. All be it Florida is not a deadly opponent. Soon both our teams will get the Pittsburghs and phillys. We have Philly Sunday.

Ally, tell your boys to fucking wake up!!!! Pittsburgh was down 4-1 and its 4-4. Flyers fans are really on Bryz.

There goes the shut out. I just hope we hold on and win. We deserve this one

Comcast just posted a stat. Seems that Sabres let in 3.17 only behind Fla and Islanders. Looks like shutouts are hard to come by on the island and in upstate.

Archived