The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Its Miller time!! Miller stones the Bruins. Buffalo wins again!

Vanek's shootout goal was a thing of beauty.

We were in a shootout too and Toscala got pulled in favour of a cold Joseph. We lost. But we played really well. A much more fun team to watch.

How sweet it is. Ottawa gets knocked off by Florida exposing them as a team on the fall and the dirty stinking Flyers are getting just what they deserve. No wins. Where are you now mr Gac something or other who said they were no fluke. They are a joke. Its Miller time!!!!!! LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!

All I can say is St. Louis may want to rethink the whole Palin dropping the puck before their game thing. She did it with Philly and NOW look at them AHAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. Sens blow! :D

Remember when we swept the Flyers.

Then the next year we did the same thing to the Capitals?

Yeah, I'm hoping for a repeat and it is most definitely possible my friend B)

As far as St. Louis goes, I was talking about their whole history. They've never won anything :P

The last time they did anything spectacular, Brett Hull was playing for them.

Ive got another hockey joke. The Philadelphia Flyers. hahahahahaha

Being from Toronto the biggest joke in hockey and for years and years are the Maple Leafs. You will be hard pressed to find a worse team in recent history. On the whole Toronto is one of the qworse sports towns now. All the teams here are crap.

Right now Miller is playing better than any goalie in the East. If he keeps it up, we will be fine. He really has impressed me this year so far. Tomorrow an old enemy comes to town. The Ottawa Senetors. First time we play them and they are not very impressive so far. (2-5). I think the Sabres should beat them and stay unbeaten. There I go again, shooting off my mouth and jinxing them. Hope not anyway.

The Sabres look real good Yukon. Great organization and your right, Ruff should be front and centre for the Canadian Olympic team job. I don't think there has been a pro sports team that has done more with less, than the Sabres have in the past number of years. I wish Vancouver was as well organized as a club

The Canucks have not got the scouting nor the organizational stability that creates good solid teams year in and year out. They had it when Burke was here. Love him or hate him, he is a club man. He puts his heart and soul into the organization and it is reflective on the ice and in the way the hockey club is viewed. I figure that alone is worth 20 pts a season, not to mention what it brings to rookies and free agents that are brought in. At the moment we are being viewed as a club that is struggling. If this wasn't such a hockey town, there would be plenty of empty seats. It's pretty clear to me now that we will not be able to hold on to Luongo. We can't build a contending team fast enough to do so. I see a trade in March

So where would Luongo wind up? Detroit? Not the Rangers as I think they are happy with Lundquist and it will have to be a team that can afford him. Toronto? I hope not Philadelphia as they have stolen many a player like Briere. Perhaps Edmonton. They are as dirty a team out there on the market. Cost us a bundle to keep Vanek knowing full well we would match any offer they made.

I don't know. As the season developes and it becomes clear that a couple of good teams are just a goalie away from being bonified contenders then I think he'll be on his way. He may only stay with that team for the playoffs and move on again more permanently. The only thing that will keep him here is if this organization makes some serious moves to improve. They still have plenty of room under the cap. Not sure they have the moxy to do what is necessary though.

My Sabres are back on track after a 5-0 shutout over Washington. I cant believe that the stinking Islanders blew a 4-1 lead against Montreal. Nice win for your Canucks Ally if you are reading. I mean, beating the Ducks without Luongo, 7-6. Unheard of . Its Miller time!!

It's a long season my man, full of highs and lows. I'll look for you on the highlight reel :D

Went to the Hurricane/Oilers game Saturday.Oilers won 3-1.At least the wife came home happy,her being from Edmonton and all!

We got awesome seats(3rd row at the opposing blue line) courtesy of some folks we met at the RP/AK show in Asheville.

It was cool to see Erik Cole skate.We did give him a standing O :D

At least we beat the Leafs yesterday. :D

Hey Ally, did you get to see any of Vancouver's win last night? Do they televise every game there like they do the Sabres here? How is Vancouver scoring? I am not surprized at Luongo's play but the experts the other night on Versus said one of the big early surprises was the ability of Vancouver to score. They have 8 players with 3 goals or more, most in the league.

I switched back and forth between the game and your election last night. We do get most of the games on TV. There are a number of pay / view games throughout the season but for the most part, we get just about all of them on local TV.

Scoring, They've decided to run and gun. Not sure that they have enough scoring power to keep it going but it seems that they are more comfortable playing that style. It's a style that so many of they're younger players are responding to and as I've mentioned in the past, a style that Vancouver fans want to see. I think many teams that would be considered on the playoff bubble are starting to find their identity now and the Canucks

are one of them

Carolina 5 Leafs 4 in OT.Back to back games.

Watching the Oilers 1 Bluejackets 2 at the moment.... Eric Cole looks really good. Glad he is still playing hard after his neck injury

My luck. I just sat him on my fantasy team and suited up Jason Arnott of Nashville who your Canucks shut out last night. At least Im still winning my game. My team is loaded with Sabres of course, including Vanek. It appears Miller and Vanek have a good shot of making the starting all star spots in the East. They are leading in the early voting. One week from tonight Ill be at the Buffalo vs St Louis game. Cant wait to be at an NHL game.

I'm gonna try to get to a couple this year. Can't really go wrong with just about any game in this league now. Everyone is decent

Except perhaps for Atlanta, Los Angeles and the Islanders? I think Atlanta is bad. And the Kings. If we lose to Atlanta on Friday night Ill eat crow for a week. I say the Sabres will fry them 7-3. And I think they will score because I know Lindy will sit Miller and save him for Sat night in Boston. He will play Lalime. I just hope Miller plays when I go next Wednesday to see them play the Blues, a team I always wanted to see. They were damn good years ago and seem to be on the rise with some good youngsters. Next to Buffalo I always liked St Louis and Vancouver. Somewhere at my mothers I have a Canucks pennant from 1971. Do you think its worth anything? They were actually Rochester's parent team their first year in the NHL. Did you know this? Then the Bruins and then the Sabres for many years until this year. Now the Portland Pirates are Buffalo's farm team. When Buffalo and Vancouver came in together back in 1970 they were both monsters in their respective minor leagues. The Buffalo Bisons were great. They had the Cincinattie Swords early on. And Vancouver had the Rochester Americans. Remember this Ally?

Yes I do Yukon . However, it's reminding me of just how old I'm getting :D You'd have to check on ebay to see if that 71 pennant is worth anything. You should keep it anyway's

Remember, you are only as old as you feel my man. I am 51 years young. Not a grey hair and nobody calling me grandpa, yet. Yikes. And Ill be listening to Led Zeppelin if I live to be 90. Country sucks. Rap sucks. And so do the Flyers! Back on topic!

Same here and not nodding off just yet either :D Yeah, Joe The Crow as well. I still to this day say that not keeping him when expansion happened was a huge mistake. You got Perrault on a coin toss and smartly signed the Crow to be your head coach. Before we knew it, you had Robert and Martin and voila..The French Connection line. You guy's had a great team in no time. Unlike us who languished at the bottom of the league for so many years. People around here alway's remember our Stanley Cup runs in 82 and 94 but I can tell you that when we finally made the playoffs in 75, this town went nuts.

Lost to Montreal who you guy's beat on the way to your first finals

A finals that we were robbed of winning because of Bernie Parent standing on his head. Sabres outshot them in the 1-0 loss something like 47-20 and lost. The better team did not win. The french connection is still the best line in their prime I ever saw. It was like a 5 on three at even strenth every time they were on the ice. And then the famous fog game didnt help either. As for the Canucks, the year of Tiger Williams, they were swept by the Islanders, but the record books dont tell you they were in each and every game to the end and could have easily have won all of them. Goaltending did both of our teams in. We will get there one of these days. Danny Gare scored a big one to beat the Canadiens. I remember that . As for Crozier, he showed up here with Cherry three years ago when we got our first ever real NHL game here (Sabres and Devils). Your Harry Neil is back this year and doing a great job on commentary for the Sabres. The guy is great. Has a great sense of humour and is a true comedian at heart.

Harry is a great commentator. He was a great coach and GM as well. Couldn't do both though. Having both jobs in Vancouver was a mistake. When he was suspended from coaching for the last 10 games of the 82 regular season his assistant, the late Roger Neilson, took over and they went undefeated and squeaked in to the playoffs. The rest they say is history. It was a great run and a whole lotta fun but the Islanders were just too good.

Archived