The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

^^^

I agree Ally that a Chicago-LA Conference Final would be a blast to see...but I cannot allow myself to think that far ahead. First things first: the Kings have to gut these Sharks.

Thanks Rick...I'll take it as a compliment that you put the Kings second on your list of deserving teams.

They do but, they don't have the goaltending that the Kings do. From a pure hockey stand point, I'm hoping that the Kings and Hawks meet in the conference final. What a series that would be. Still a long way to go though and I expect that San Jose will bring a much better performance to game 2. I think they were a little rusty after the week off . Same thing could happen to the Hawks in game 1 of their series with the Wings

Well I sure hope you wrong about that. You could look at it the other way and say Detroit may be tired and banged up after that series with Anaheim? I still think Ottawa will make some noise vs Pittsburgh. The Rangers have been so inconsistent yet have the better goalie easily in that series. San Jose will not quit after one loss. They will bring it in game two.

The fans in Chicago are sort of sitting on their hands right now. Waiting for an explosion. Realizing they should roll this team. If they just keep coming in waves then Howard should fold

Well they just played a little Led Zepp at the game. Rock n Roll!!!

Chicago took care of them. They have too much for Detroit. I hope they sweep them

Yep, no hangover, like I thought there might be, for the Hawks last night. Tbh, the score flattered the Wings.

Bruins/Rangers should be a very rough series. I'm expecting trouble right from the start of it.

Yep, no hangover, like I thought there might be, for the Hawks last night. Tbh, the score flattered the Wings.

Bruins/Rangers should be a very rough series. I'm expecting trouble right from the start of it.

3 Starting defensemen out for Boston. and its still 0-0. WTF? I need the Rangers to win to bring home a par with Chicago. Rangers need to take advantage of this banged up Boston team. I just do not think the Rangers offense has ever really gelled.

With NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs, and Darvish vs. Verlander, as well as the Angel game on last night, I headed out to the sports bar so I could watch it all. For one thing, I don't have that NBCSN that the hockey games are on.

So from 4pm to 10pm(PST), I was sitting on a comfy barstool munching on nachos and jalepeño poppers, washing it down with plenty of cold ones. I had the hockey games on the screen right in front of me, with the NBA games on the right and the baseball games on the left.

First up was the NY @ Boston game. I guess it was worth waiting 40 years for...hell, in 1973, hockey wasn't even on my radar. I was a Laker fan and I knew the Kings played in the same arena as the Lakers, but as scarce as basketball games were on TV in those days, hockey was even worse. Horse racing and boxing had a bigger presence on television in the 70s than hockey and even basketball.

Growing up in Orange County, Kings games might as well have been played on the moon. It wasn't until around 1974-75, when I began reading Sports Illustrated regularly, that I took an interest in hockey. I remember reading about the Broad Street Bullies and Guy Lafleur and the Canadiens and the Boston Bruins. 1975 was the first Stanley Cup I watched and paid attention to, and I've been a fan since. But I don't have much company...none of my friends or family are hockey fans. They didn't even care when the Kings won last year.

Anyway, I have the Bruins in this series, so nice win by Boston last night. As it went to OT, I had to watch the first period of the Kings game on the NHL channel until the Boston game was over. My eyeballs were doing the Cookie Monster dance as I tried to keep an eye on both games at once.

As for the Kings win over San Jose...whew and double-whew!!! Not that I would have panicked if the Kings had lost, especially given their ability to win on the road. But it sure feels a helluva lot better and more comfortable being up 2-0 than 1-1. Now if only the Kings can win one in San Jose, they can wrap up the series at home in game 5.

But I expect the Sharks to put up a fight back at the Shark Tank. There's still a good chance this series goes 7 games, particularly now that San Jose has finally scored on Quick...though those first two goals weren't necessarily Quick's fault. Frankly, it looked like a sure San Jose victory...until those 22 seconds in the 3rd period changed everything in the blink of an eye. A 2-3 deficit turned into a 4-3 victory! If the Kings go on to win the series, those 22 seconds will be etched in Kings playoff lore.

My worries now, however, are the health of the Kings' centers...Stoll missed Game 2 after he got pummeled in Game 1, and then Kopitar had to leave Game 2 for a bit after taking a puck to the face.

I have always enjoyed going to a live boxing match because every so often a hockey match would break out. :D

Haven't heard that line in years :D . Back in the day...it was pretty accurate :lol:

Haven't heard that line in years :D . Back in the day...it was pretty accurate :lol:

I had not been to a hockey game until the early 90's when Houston acquired the Aeros. It was quite a shock for me to see so much fighting but I actually enjoyed it. I would go with a group of friends and sneak in flasks of vodka so the game was especially entertaining for me.

Anywho...enough of me derailing the playoffs discussion.

I had not been to a hockey game until the early 90's when Houston acquired the Aeros. It was quite a shock for me to see so much fighting but I actually enjoyed it. I would go with a group of friends and sneak in flasks of vodka so the game was especially entertaining for me.

Anywho...enough of me derailing the playoffs discussion.

You're not derailing anything TM ! The NHL has come a long way from those days but with all the other goings on like hits to the head and the nasty stick work , I often wonder if maybe the league has gone too far with it's anti fighting stance. Gotta think that the league has ended up with a far more serious problem and player injuries have become far more severe. I'm not promoting the fights, just saying that I think there has to be a balance . Especially in such a physical sport that's played at such high speed. Imo, better to let the players let off a little steam with a fight than to see some of the nasty stuff we're seeing in todays game .

I do not know how the Rangers made the playoffs. As a unit they just plain stink. They had everything going for them. 3 Boston d men were out and Boston was tired. They had no control of the puck, not a clue what to do with it. They were simply a disorganized unit. Pitiful bunch they are. No chance in hell of winning a Cup. Boston will beat them. and Boston is not that good either. Ottawa could beat the Rangers. I am thinking Ottawa will show up tonight. They could win. But it looks like Pittsburgh is the lesser of four evils to me. I think the East is weaker than I have ever seen it. Chicago vs LA is looking like the finals to me. Whoever wins that wins it all. I like Chicago's chances. But LA cannot be left out and San Jose could rally if they can win the next game. I am still picking Chicago to win it. But LA probably has as good a shot. Those Philly fans, Hell, they trade Carter, Richards and now Bobrovsky, who may be the Vezina winner. Why is Holmgren still running the show there? Stupid.

I don't have that NBCSN that the hockey games are on.

Me either :-(

It was quite a shock for me to see so much fighting but I actually enjoyed it.

I don't mind it either, to me, it's just a part of the sport. That said, I love to watch the skating. The power, speed, edgework, turns, seamless change of direction, etc..

I do not know how the Rangers made the playoffs. As a unit they just plain stink. They had everything going for them. 3 Boston d men were out and Boston was tired. They had no control of the puck, not a clue what to do with it. They were simply a disorganized unit. Pitiful bunch they are. No chance in hell of winning a Cup. Boston will beat them. and Boston is not that good either. Ottawa could beat the Rangers. I am thinking Ottawa will show up tonight. They could win. But it looks like Pittsburgh is the lesser of four evils to me. I think the East is weaker than I have ever seen it. Chicago vs LA is looking like the finals to me. Whoever wins that wins it all. I like Chicago's chances. But LA cannot be left out and San Jose could rally if they can win the next game. I am still picking Chicago to win it. But LA probably has as good a shot. Those Philly fans, Hell, they trade Carter, Richards and now Bobrovsky, who may be the Vezina winner. Why is Holmgren still running the show there? Stupid.

your ass Boston is not that good way better than your dam Sabres..did you see that game against The Leafs??? They dId what they had to do to win the series.They ended up the 4th best team in the NHL BY THE WAY

You don't have an ounce of class to make a post such as this. I am not a Leafs fan nor a horse's ass like you either.

My condolences Black Dawg. You know, Ottawa may just find a way to get out of the East. I say this is the best chance they have ever had vs the Penguins. The Cup will go to the west nonetheless

listen to you you rub in peoples faces all freaking day when there team loses and Planted just was in to it get off her back.

Archived