The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Well after a trip to Florida my Sabres get some rest for the All Star break. Only Vanek was picked even though Roy and Miller were nominated. I think they are All star caliber but didnt have good enough starts I guess? Too many Montreal players in my opinion. We are gonna kick their butts in the second half. They did it probably to please the Montreal fans. That part of Canada that speaks french and think they are a seperate country according to some Canadiens I've talked to in the past. The game itself is at the best better than the NFL's joke of an all star game. Baseball's has lost the appeal it once had even though it actually means something as they play for home advantage in the World Series. To my knowledge the hockey game doesnt count for anything? It will probably be another 11-10 game. No checking, skate and shoot. Poor goalies left out there to hang. I assume Luongo made it? If you read this Ally you can let me know. Did Ovetchin get written in? If he isnt there it is BS. Same with Zettenberg.

Luongo and Ovetchin are both reserves but amazingly Zetterberg is not ( unless I missed something ). The votes in the west were dominated by the Ducks and Blackhawks. Have to admit that Luongo is there on reputation as he missed 20 games.

I'm here Yukon...Been sick as hell for the last week and still am.Been waiting for this matchup as you know.(Go Canes!) We have absolutely sucked this past week or so and it's making me sicker. :rolleyes: ...Not to mention my beloved Tarheels were spiraling as well.I love college basketball and now you know my main weakness...

Canes oughta give it a go!Go Caniacs!

Rorer:

You take care of yourself...hope ya feel better real soon...see the doctor if ya have to..

Yukon:

I see your team won last night...I'm sure you are a happy guy...

Juliet :wave:

Hey Rorer! My condolences. You cant win them all man. We needed this game. Need to keep the Penguins at bay. And Florida is getting better. I think we go there next. We dont play at home again until Feb 4th when Juliet's Leafs come to town. They are announcing on the radio that tickets remain for that one, a Wednesday night. But I cant see how. The Toronto fans come down here in big numbers and get tickets for when the Leafs are in town. I like what I see from Miller. I wish Buffalo played with the same intensity at home that they do on the road. The last two periods in Dallas were a thing of beauty. We were all over them. Sekera and AFinagenov are out injured. I hope Buffalo trades Stafford and Paille. I am not happy with either. Lets make a fantasy trade Ally. Ill give you both of those slackers and throw in a young prospect like Gerbe. By the way, if you read this, is Bernier still a Canuck? GO SABRES!!!!! :nhl:

I don't need your condolences Yukon.At least I can say that we've won The Cup.You don't even have that luxury,after how many years in the league?.So until you do,you should keep the smack to a minimum.Capice? :rolleyes:

Miller kept you guys in that game.If we played the whole game like we played the 3rd,it would have been a different game...We just need to play 3 strong periods a game,not one!

Thanks Juliet! ;)

Its not a lame comment its a fact. 4 defensemen all starters injured. Do you have a clue as to what IM talking about? Im sure Rorer can stick up for his team without your help. You little shit stirrer you.

The bottom line is, you gotta play the game. I've played my share of hockey and have the false teeth to prove it.

I played hockey too. I understand the game. When you lose four starting defensemen and still almost win game 7 you did something right.

I've said it before.We had our share on the injured list too.

You know, "almost", equals = losers.

Conference Standings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preseason · Regular Season · Expanded · Conference

Eastern Conference

Team GP W Pts

1. Boston 45 33 70

2. Washington 46 29 61

3. N.Y. Rangers 47 27 58

4. Montreal 44 27 60

5. New Jersey 45 27 57

6. Philadelphia 45 24 57

7. Buffalo 45 23 51 :D in

8. Pittsburgh 47 23 50

9. Florida 44 21 49

10. Carolina 46 21 47 out

11. Toronto 45 17 41

12. Tampa Bay 45 14 38

13. Ottawa 43 15 37

14. Atlanta 46 16 37

15. N.Y. Islanders 45 12 28

x-clinched playoff berth

Hooray Caps!!!

Don't think I realized they were doing that well :)

Ontario Law: The O.P.P. are cracking down on speeders heading into Toronto.

For your first offense, they give you two Toronto Maple Leaf tickets.

If you get stopped a second time, they make you use them.

Q. What do you call 30 millionaires around a TV watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

A. The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Q. What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and Billy Graham have in common?

A. They both can make 20,000 people stand up and yell 'Jesus Christ'.

Q. How do you keep the Toronto Maple Leafs out of your yard?

A. Put up a goal net.

Q. What do you call a Toronto Maple Leaf with a Stanley Cup ring?

A. A thief.

Q. How many Toronto Maple Leafs does it take to win a Stanley Cup?

A. Nobody knows ... and we may never find out.

Q. What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and possums have in common?

A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Yo Rorer. Your boys are up on the Penguins 2-1 after two periods. Im impressed as Pittsburgh is rested and you guys played the Maple Laughs last night. Id say good luck, but I dont know who I want in this one. Either way it probably doesn't matter.

1zntpag.jpg

Thanks...It also means we're back in there,just two points behind you.

Hold onto your hat,I expect a wild ride until the end! ;)

Hey Rorer, nice win in Pittsburgh. You guys needed it. Nice that Montreal lost. The All Star break is coming up. I am more interested in the last minute trades when the trade deadline comes. I wonder when the date is for that? Maybe somebody knows? Maybe Ally?

1zntpag.jpg

The trade deadline is Mar 4. and I expect that there will be a number of teams doing deals. The Canucks are in a deep funk right now and will be in a real horse race to make the playoffs. I expect them to TRY and make a few deals before that deadline.

Getting out of San Jose with a point is not bad. Phoenix looks like they are on the rise. I will be seeing them in Buffalo and they scare the daylights out of me now. Maybe they are the sleeper in the West? Expect Lecavelier to be traded by Tampa, but the price will be high. I hope he goes west. Dont want to see the Rangers or Montreal get him. I know the Sabres will never pay the price for him. But Darcy is very smart with what he has to work with. Hoping he pulls off a good deal. I have a feeliing Afinagenov is on the top of his trade list but I think he is valuable. I want Buffalo to trade Paille or Stafford and Ludman. I have sent them emails. Im sure they will listen! LOL. Last night of hockey is tonight for a while. Dumb all star break. GO SABRES!!!!

Normally I would say getting out of San Jose with a point was good but they threw the game away !

They did play well though and that is a good sign. I just hope that Vigneault is not going to be turned into a scapegoat as I really don't think he is the problem. Maybe they need to get rid of that whale on the front of their jersey's :lol:

I like the old jersey better. With the hockey stick. We need to take care of business in Tampa. Keep Carolina and Pittsburgh in the rear view mirror and catch Montreal and Philly. Miller is playing well so I think we will win. I think the all star break will be the time when many GM's will be talking trades. They will probably all meet in Montreal?

Well the Sabres have picked it up as of late but regardless, I suspect that you will make an eye openning deal. Even if it's a rent a player. I also suspect that both the Canucks and Sabres will be trying to address the back up goaltender situation that has plagued both of us this year. With so many teams in both conferences in the playoff hunt, it may cost but I still think there will be a fair bit of movement on deadline day

Yes Ally I agree totally. Lalime sucks, our backup. Miller is playing like Miller is supposed to finally. You have Luongo and you are going to have to use him like the Devils used Broduer and we must do the same with Milller. The Sabres are probably going to go with a rent a player like they did with Zubov. I think Darcy Regier has done a magnificant job with what money he has to work with in a small market. He has quite simply performed miracles, keeping the Sabres in the hunt. Getting guys like Vanek, Roy and Pommenville. I would think that Scotty Bowman, a Buffalo native who has a soft spot in his heart for the Sabres, would maybe help us out with a deal from Chicago? When we made it to the finals in 99 he picked us to win and he was in the press box for the last two conferance finals the Sabres were in. With teams that were much better than the team we actually got to the finals with in 99. I wonder if Peca is still playing? Last I knew he was in Colombus? The Sabres have many options, I would trade Paille, Stafford, Ludman and even throw in two young prospects named Mancari and Gerbe who are in the elite scoring dept with the new AHL affiliate Portland. Many in Buffalo want to see Maxim traded but Im not one of them. He has speed to kill and can puckhandle as good as anyone in hockey. Whether he ever developes a finishing touch is the question. He and Sekera should be back after the all star break. I see Pyatt scored for Vancouver last night. I always liked him and think Vancouver should keep him.

Agree, Regier has done a fabulous job as has Ruff. Both very underrated IMHO. The big question as alway's, will be how much room there is under the cap for teams. Some clubs, even some in the playoff hunt will be willing to offload a player or two as a precaution to next year.I'm talking about teams that feel they can't win the cup this year and want to leave themselves in a better financial position for next year. Believe it or not, the Ducks are a team that is in big trouble with the cap and may decide to offload some big money guy's even though they are a realistic contender

And the quacks have underachieved this year with what they do have. In my opinion Boston is overachieving and will be the Tennessee Titans of the NHL. Could be toast in the first round. Depending on who they draw. The west will go through Detroit as usual. There is quite a scramble for the lower seeds. I think Colombus has done very well and is improving and Phoenix for sure. The surprizes in the east are the disappointing season Of Ottawa and Pittsburgh is flurting with disaster. I am hoping my team makes a smart trade. If all stays as it is now, I truly believe that the Sabres are capable in the East. Our jinx team, Ottawa, is in big trouble and looks like a longshot to get in. I am shocked that heads havent flied there yet, including Murray's? One has to wonder what Barrry Melrose did to get the axe so soon, given this team isnt going anywhere anyway? I tend to believe he clashed with upper management and ego's collided? I hope Lindy has my boys off the damb beach by now and ready to rumble. Ill be watching tonight. Then its no hockey for a week. Im going to have withdrawals. :nhl:
It's almost as bad as the bye week in football...actually the bye week in football is worse it's two weeks. :o

I just learned that the Sabres had to pick 4 games that would be radio coverage only due to contract with MSG (they also cover the Rangers and Islanders and Devils). So they picked the west coast trip next week that starts in Edmonton. That sucks. Ill call a few local sports bars and find out which ones have NHL Center Ice. They should have the game on. Center ice blacks out the Sabres games here when covered BY MSG but since they arent on I think I can get the Center Ice broadcast but will have to go to a bar to get it. I could order it at home but its a rip off. And I only really want the Sabres games, even though when I did have it many nights Id stay up and watch games from out west like Vancouver or LA. Nice to have but expensive. Let me know if they have it in Canada Ally if you read this?

TBH, I'm not sure if we have it Yukon. I know some of the pubs and sports bars with satellite can pick up an American feed for games anywhere but I'm not sure how they are doing it. Well, I am sure but when asked, I know nutting... :P:lol:

OK thanks. Im sure they have the package if you are willing to pay the price. We have it available on our cable and satellite both. Can get any game anywhere. Its great to have. Before I got remarried I had it and was a hockey junkie every night. Now its pretty much just Sabres. I hate the all star break. I hope our gms have something up their sleeves. So we can go contend with the greedy big market teams.

In the Vancouver area we have one major cable company and in the area that I live in, we have a small independent outfit. I can buy packages on top of my regular cable but outside of Sentanta Sports for my soccer, I can't buy one without taking the whole package. Being a smaller company stuff like NFL Sunday Ticket and other sport channels were dropped because not enough of us were subscribing. Between the CBC, TSN and Sports Net which are national stations, I can watch plenty of hockey involving Canadian teams. I believe it's NBC that carry's the American games on Sunday's once the NFL season is over.

As I said yesterday, I think there will be plenty of action on the trade front. The Ducks, Lightning and Leafs will IMO definately want to deal. Colorado is another team that I think will be open to doing something. There are plenty of teams that want players so it's really just a matter of what they are willing to give up. There are some older experienced player's on the clubs that I've listed that could be a big help to teams like the Sabres and Canucks. Even if it's just for this year

Bastard zebra's suck major cock. Every time a bolt takes a dive they blow us off. Gave the pricks a two man advantage for two minutes. Pricks. :mad:

You seem to always blame the refs,Yuk! :)

I couldn't possibly be that our Division isn't as cupcake as you say?

You got spanked,take it like a man! :P

But names like Lecavelier and Neidermeyer wont be affordable to us. I dont know what is going on but Im sure they are all talking and will be talking even more during the all star game. Its usually the case where teams in the east want to deal with western teams and vise versa. That way a player isnt going to see his old team that often and come back to bite you. Like Brian Campbell for instance. He went out to dinner with a few of the Sabres when they were in town. Still friends with them. Someone told me Buffalo needs another big scorer to go with Vanek. I disagree. Roy and Pommenville can score and I think I would want a guy like a Pronger who could clear out the traffic in front of the net on the penalty kill, that way letting Miller see everything in front of him. They have a big kid in the minors but I doubt he is tough enough or ready yet. It will help getting sekera and afinegenov back soon. But trades are on the horizon for sure. I just hope Buffalo does the right thing.

Everybody want's Pronger my man but my guess is he'll end up in Toronto playing for the guy who drafted him in the first place. Adam Foote would be a good addition to any team if you ask me

Wait til we get our paws on you guys again!

:nhl_checking:

I wouldnt call it spanked when we outshot them 35 to 22 or something in that range. Hey Juliet, I hear there are seats left for Toronto game on Feb 4th. I want to go to another game but Ill have to wait til March 6th agaist Phoenix. I paid about $200 for two seats. Cant get better seats than the ones I have. Cant wait. Have to call some sports bars as I dont want to miss the game at Edmonton.

As long as it's paws and not your teeth!

We got you twice next month,15th at Buffalo and the 26th here and the second to last game on April 9th here.

You should suggest tha to the league. It is actually a hell of an idea. No hockey for a while. and teh Sabres at Edmonton on tuesday, Ill have to go through alot of shit to see it. Could be alot of fights in that one. Buffalo's management isnt too happy with Edmonton. I say they dress Peters for sure. But they need to win. I think the game at Calgary is a tougher game than the one at Edmonton. Of couse there is no easy game in the NHL. Even LA is coming on now.

Do you have access to Setanta Sports ? They have both the Edmonton and Calgary games on their schedule

No cant get that, but just talked to one of the sports bars and it will be on there on NHL Center Ice. Will probably have the feed from Edmonton. Buffalo's main announcer is taking off a week and Harry Neil will do the radio commentator job with two differant announcers that were picked to do the games in Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim and Phoenix. Im not sure but we may hit Colorado also? I can get it in my living room if I want to pay $129 for the rest of the season. Too much to see four games. After this trip all Sabres games will be on for the rest of the season. (MSG) out of NY.

Fair enough Yukon. Tell your boy's to do us a favour on the road trip. Lord know's we'll need it ! :D

Archived