The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I remember the Skipjacks. how about the Clippers? Remember the old fight song? "We are the Baltimore Clippers". they used to play against the Rochester Americans.

Skipjacks, Clippers, Blades and the Bandits. I remember them all. My dad was the beat writer for minor league hockey with the Baltimore Sun.

I loved the Clipper's fight song. 'Go you Baltimore Clippers'.

175px-Baltimore_Clippers.png

Go you Baltimore Clippers,

We are the Clippers from Baltimore.

Go you Baltimore Clippers

Score, Score Score!

I had to hear it every time I listened to an Amerks game when they visited the old Civic Center I believe in Baltimore. Back then the Providence Reds, Springfield Kings, and Nova Scotia Voyaguers were in the league. And before that, the Quebec Aces. Oh, and of course the Buffalo Bisons.

The Rochester Americans, who Im sure you are familiar with, had such guys as Don Cherry and Al Arbour play for them. But the most popular of all time was a guy named "Red" Armstrong. I dont know if you remember him from the 60's? He died after hockey in a construction accident.

I used to live outside of Springfield and I used to watch the Kings!

Shit, that was back in the early to middle 70's,they changed their name back to the Springfield Indians in 75! They used to play at the Springfied Civic Center where I witnessed my fist rock concert,Black Sabbath! Cool memories,Yuk

Leafs playing spoiler for the win. It's even sweeter that it's against the dreaded Flyers (recalling the Roenick goal in the playoffs against us a few years ago - bah!). Gotta hand it to the Leafs - not exactly filled with stars, yet playing very competitive hockey a day after being eliminated from the playoffs. Players are surely working hard for a roster spot for next year.

Wow Biron looked ordinary - better find the fire in time for the playoffs. I hope they'll go down in flames.

All the bad teams win now because they are loosy goosy. Dont you get it Patricia? Man. I mean, I dont have anything against the Leafs, but if I were a fan Id be screaming for some changes. Hell. Philly are pretenders and we know that. So are half the teams in the East that are going to make it and be joining the rest of us soon. Boston and Carolina are the only two teams playing well in the East. But I think the Sharks are gonna get it done. Unless Ally's boys put in a hell of a run. But they must avoid Calgary. I just dont know if they can beat Calgary?

Of course I get it, hence the comment about players working their tails off for spots on next year's roster. That's why our roster has been stripped down to the bones. That's why Burke is here, that's why Nonis is here, and wholesale changes are on the way. I don't think it's only because they're loose. Remember, they only just got eliminated yesterday. We're hovering around .500 in a season where our captain for over a decade has not returned, we lost our steadiest defenceman to a broken hand, and our starting goalie is out or the rest of the season, among many many other things, so clearly the changes have begun.

Fans have been calling for wholesale changes for years, make that decades, but in a market that has sold out games for even the shittiest of rosters, well, it wasn't exactly incentive for the suits to put a better product on the ice. It's the double-edged sword of being a hockey town, I guess.

But you have to give credit where it is due. To say that it's only because we're loose is over-simplifying the situation in Leafland. A new regime from the management down to the coach and down to some players - mostly addition by subtraction, though, as the old system and mindset had to be rid of by getting rid of players who got too used to playing a certain way - has begun to be implemented. With a cap system, it's harder to deal with teams, too. Anyway, just wait and see what Burke will do. And we're already a team that does not give up - a huge change in and of itself.

I think Ally's Canucks have a secret weapon in Luongo. He's going to be a huge difference maker. Calgary will have spurts of toughness and intensity, but Keenan usually has a short lifespan with his firebrand style of coaching. I think players have already begun to tune him out.

The Blues are really coming on strong, a nice surprise.

Who are your realistic picks for finals and then winning the Cup?

Thanks for that info. If he is anything like the old man, he'll be a great prospect for The Leafs.

This kid's got an instant fan base. He's big, mobile, talented. So many other teams wanted to sign him. It's like getting an extra first round draft pick. Can't wait to see what he can do. It's nice to see the Leafs going in the right direction. Very very finally.

Well, first you must ask your self, is Wilson in the plans for next year? I would keep him, I believe he is a good coach just like Lindy Ruff. I think they both should stay. I dont know what will happen though. We are not out yet, but it doesnt look good right now. and I have the same excuse's you do, except ours is due to Miller being out 13 games. We have enough talent to have made it if he doesnt get whacked by Gomez. I dont think Toronto had enough even without injuries. Not this year. No way. The Blues are going no place this year. They cant go to the finals. I saw them live. Not impressed. Sorry. Young team, rebuilding, but not good enough yet by any stretch of the imagination. Vancouver, yes. Could make some noise. But I think San Jose will find a way this time to get it done. Detroit can never be counted out. They may ultimately beat themselves though as they dont really seem to have the drive. But that is normal. They have the Stanley Cup hangover blues. As for Toronto, Burke isnt going to just wave a magic wand and instantly catch the rest of the division in talent. You have one advantage over us, Buffalo, and thats an unlimited supply of money. You just got whacked for $500,000 fine and lost a draft pick. That would be disaster for us. Not for a large market team like you and the Rangers. But I assure you, you cant catch the rest of this division in one year in my opinion. If we come back healthy, we will be back in the hunt. Ottawa I dont know. Because I think they will have a knee jerk reaction there and go nuts. could go either way. Toronto can only get better. But I dont know if it will happen over night. Gainey is crazy if he stays behind the bench and I say he wont in Montreal. You can say the same thing for Atlanta as far as not giving up. I dont think anyone has given up. But two games back against us, you guys did not show up and you know it. And most of Toronto knows it.

Well I think I mentioned that it's not going to be an overnight process, given the issues with the cap, the fact that several players have no-trade clauses, the bad mentality from ownership which trickled down...until now. Wilson is Burke's man, rest assured of that. There's no way Fletcher would have brought him in if Burke wasn't comfortable with that choice. The whole point is that the entire culture of the organization is headed in the right direction.

We have had poor results against you guys, but I am betting you a pair of tickets to a Leafs/Sabres game right now (either here or in Buffalo - winner's choice) that the Leafs will sip champagne from Lord Stanley's Cup before the Sabres do.

:duel:

Ottawa blows - all that talent, no character. Muahahahahahaha!!!

Hi Pat :wave:

Good assessment of the Leafs situation. I knew they wouldn't roll over. No matter what anyones opinion of Burke is, he puts the organization's reputation first. As I've stated before, they are not that far away from being a good team and by establishing some obvious ground rules, Burke and Wilson have sent a clear message to anyone who want's to put a Leafs sweater on.

As for Stanley Cup picks

I gotta go with the Canucks in the west. They are solid all round and have a great spirit about them.

It's my opinion that everyone is going to see that this team is not just about Luongo. Names like Burrows, Kessler, and Beijka are going to be well known to everyone by seasons end. Not to mention Sundin and the Sedin twins. I think Calgary will be the biggest obsticle

San Jose will go as far as Thorton want's to go. If he show's up then look out. He has a habbit of being a no show come playoff time though. Marleau is another underacheiver.

Detroit are alway's going to be a threat but I don't think they have the goaltending to get it done again.

The east is harder for me to pick as we only see a limited amount of eastern games. I'll let somebody else handle that one

I find it hard to make accurate assessments of the western conference. Everyone has had their up's and down's all year. San Jose and Detroit are the only two that haven't really gone into the tank for a long stretch. That may be more of a statement on their talent than anything else and if it is, then I'll be eating my predictions big time :D Still, the west will be tough to win no matter who comes out on top.

Hi Pat :wave:

Good assessment of the Leafs situation. I knew they wouldn't roll over. No matter what anyones opinion of Burke is, he puts the organization's reputation first. As I've stated before, they are not that far away from being a good team and by establishing some obvious ground rules, Burke and Wilson have sent a clear message to anyone who want's to put a Leafs sweater on.

As for Stanley Cup picks

I gotta go with the Canucks in the west. They are solid all round and have a great spirit about them.

It's my opinion that everyone is going to see that this team is not just about Luongo. Names like Burrows, Kessler, and Beijka are going to be well known to everyone by seasons end. Not to mention Sundin and the Sedin twins. I think Calgary will be the biggest obsticle

San Jose will go as far as Thorton want's to go. If he show's up then look out. He has a habbit of being a no show come playoff time though. Marleau is another underacheiver.

Detroit are alway's going to be a threat but I don't think they have the goaltending to get it done again.

The east is harder for me to pick as we only see a limited amount of eastern games. I'll let somebody else handle that one

Hiya Ally :wave:

Thanks, you of all people would know what Burke/Nonis can do. You have a nicely balanced team right now and you should make some serious noise come playoffs. It'll be great to see more of west coast teams, especially Canadian ones. I have a feeling that the Flames will burn out quickly because of Keenan, and they'll go as far as their goalie does. Kiprusoff's been very streaky and inconsistent. Still, they're built for the playoffs, and are a grinding team. That kind of punishment can really wear an opponent down. Good luck!

Thornton's post-season play is a bit odd but I'll never forget how the Boston owner (was it?) publicly derided him for his poor playoff performance and it turned out the guy was playing with a serious injury (something like a cracked rib). Then he got shipped out and has been flourishing. Some guys have to learn how to adjust to the playoffs - it's a different game. Then again, maybe they have something to prove.

I think you and Yukon are right about the Wings - goaltending is steady but can it be the difference maker? They may have the winner's hangover. The hardest thing to do after winning it all is repeating.

West: Vancouver or San Jose, though I want the Canucks to pull through.

East: I would have said the Devils but my oh my has Brodeur been on a slide since he broke the all-time wins record. They along with the Flyers and Habs have been headed in the wrong direction at the wrong time.

The Pens and Canes have really benefited from new coaches. The Rangers made a couple of key trades and are coming together nicely. Washington's goalie Theodore is verry streaky. The change has been good for him. Not everyone can play in hockey hotbeds like TO or Montreal. The pressure is unfathomable for most until they get there, and either flourish or fold. They also have a balanced team - tough, fast, with scoring power.

It's tough, but I'll go with Pens (now that they have had a taste of the finals they won't be so green), Caps or Bruins. If Pens play Philly in 1st round, they'll roll over them. Sentimental fave would still be the Habs, but I think Boston will pull through from the East.

I love this time of year. So many plots and twists and full out battles. Can't wait for my beloved Leafs to be relevant in the post season again. Maybe one of these years our two teams will meet in the finals...one can dream, right?

Your correct about Thorton Pat. He has flourished in San Jose . Talent wise, they've got everything but have had plenty of that for a few years now. They alway's seem to be missing the grit that it takes though. Maybe this year will be different.

Boston would be my best guess to come out of the east as long as Thomas stay's hot between the pipes.

The Rangers Caps and Devils would be my next picks with Carolina very close. All have good to great goaltending and Broduer will find his game again.

Pittsburgh has improved since the trade deadline but still have those dreaded goaltending issues.

Philly is a real darkhorse IMHO but again, goaltending may not be strong enough

Montreal ? One thing I've learned about them over the years is that they are at their most dangerous when nobody thinks they are good enough. Should they make it in, they could pull off a real upset

As for the Leafs Pat, look forward to next season. Things in today's league can change quickly and the Leafs don't need as many new tools as people think. Three new players to fit into Wilson's system and they are in the playoffs for sure

Patricia. How can you like Montreal and be a Toronto fan? I always though they couldn't stand each other? Its like me being a Bills fan and cheering for the Dolphins (NFL teams in case you dont know)> Ally, I will disagree with your take on Montreal. I say they are toast. I say they lose to any of the other seven except maybe Philly who for some reason seem to be in a tailspin. The Devils have been getting bombed so how can anyone feel good about them? Maybe they are just taking it easy though. Ill still pick either Boston or Carolina to get there and lose to either the Sharks or Calgary. I will cheer for Vancouver Ally. I dont know how much Ill see of them. If they get to the later rounds then they will be on for sure. They dont start til 1030 at night my time. I just cant imagine what its like living on the West coast. NFL games starting at 10 in the morning. Eastern hockey games starting at the dinner hour. Strange. I am still hoping the Sabres can pull it off. Difficult, not impossible. The fight goes on and the dream will never die! GO SABRES!!! :slapshot:

Montreal's last three games should give the Sabres some motivation. At the Rangers, at Boston and Pittsburgh. Potentially three loss's. So its up to us to just win baby.

Yeah it's a contradiction, I know, but it's only for the playoffs. It's like this: if we're out, then support goes to Canadian teams, so the Habs are the only other East option. Ottawa is the only exception - I could care less if they were the only Canadian team in it, I'd still cheer for their opponent ahahaha! Go not Ottawa go! Then it's support for one of the original six teams, then it's whichever team I hate less :D

Hello:

I saw an announcement stating that the The Leafs are officially eliminated from a play-off spot..

I'm o.k....I won't drown my sorrows in beer or any other spirit..I can abstain...I'll just add that to my long list of other things I'm abstaining from....

Juliet :rolleyes:

Your correct about Thorton Pat. He has flourished in San Jose . Talent wise, they've got everything but have had plenty of that for a few years now. They alway's seem to be missing the grit that it takes though. Maybe this year will be different.

Boston would be my best guess to come out of the east as long as Thomas stay's hot between the pipes.

The Rangers Caps and Devils would be my next picks with Carolina very close. All have good to great goaltending and Broduer will find his game again.

Pittsburgh has improved since the trade deadline but still have those dreaded goaltending issues.

Philly is a real darkhorse IMHO but again, goaltending may not be strong enough

Montreal ? One thing I've learned about them over the years is that they are at their most dangerous when nobody thinks they are good enough. Should they make it in, they could pull off a real upset

As for the Leafs Pat, look forward to next season. Things in today's league can change quickly and the Leafs don't need as many new tools as people think. Three new players to fit into Wilson's system and they are in the playoffs for sure

It's funny how teams that flourish in the regular season seem not to go all the way in the playoffs. Look at the percentage of teams that won the overall points race and how they do in the post-season. Detroit, Ottawa are two that come to mind.

It's the teams who've had to grind and claw their way into the playoffs, battling with other teams for important home ice positioning that tend to excel. It's because they're playing playoff hockey before the playoffs start. That's why teams like the Pens and Canes have momentum, Caps too, and that's why I wouldn't count the Habs out either. You're right, they've done well in that us against the world position before. Philly looks stagnant to me, but the second season has a way of waking players up. I don't know what the hell is going on with the Devils.

You know, for the first time in years I feel good about the changes in Leafland, like they're not quick fixes but a whole new mindset is being put in place. I think you're right Ally that it won't take too long, especially now that we've shed some players who don't fit into Burke's talented and gritty style. I may yet see a Cup in Toronto in my lifetime afterall. Good luck to your Canucks. They're my sentimental favourite from the west because Sundin's there.

It's funny how teams that flourish in the regular season seem not to go all the way in the playoffs. Look at the percentage of teams that won the overall points race and how they do in the post-season. Detroit, Ottawa are two that come to mind.

It's the teams who've had to grind and claw their way into the playoffs, battling with other teams for important home ice positioning that tend to excel. It's because they're playing playoff hockey before the playoffs start. That's why teams like the Pens and Canes have momentum, Caps too, and that's why I wouldn't count the Habs out either. You're right, they've done well in that us against the world position before. Philly looks stagnant to me, but the second season has a way of waking players up. I don't know what the hell is going on with the Devils.

You know, for the first time in years I feel good about the changes in Leafland, like they're not quick fixes but a whole new mindset is being put in place. I think you're right Ally that it won't take too long, especially now that we've shed some players who don't fit into Burke's talented and gritty style. I may yet see a Cup in Toronto in my lifetime afterall. Good luck to your Canucks. They're my sentimental favourite from the west because Sundin's there.

Burke does tend to ruffle feathers with some but, overall I thought he did a great job in Vancouver when he was here. His heart and soul go into the project and he is quite emotional at times. This is sometimes viewed as arrogance but for me, it just show's that every game matter's to him.I don't remember him ever calling out a player when he was here and if anything , he was seen as a staunch defender of his player's. Maybe too much so at times. My guess is that Nick and Vesa must have been involved in a little too much arm bending for Burke's liking :lol: He needs Vesa though and I expect, short of a trade being made, he will be your starter next season. You will definately see a serious contender Pat and quite possibly a cup.

Sundin got off to a slow start here and many were questioning the wisdom of bringing him in. I amoung them. He is reallly showing his worth at the moment and as was pointed out on Sports Net last night, the Canucks are 21-10 with him in the line up. The opposing teams have to send out their best checking line when he's on the ice and this is freeing up the other lines that we have. Vigneault has done a masterful job of shifting him from line to line as well and has played him on the wing too.

He has proven his value even if he hasn't lit up the scoreboard. I expect him to be a force in the playoffs

Thanks for the support. I hope we don't let you down :D

You will definately see a serious contender Pat and quite possibly a cup.

With straps attached to it! :lol:

How's about it gets strapped on your head if we win before you do, hmm???? :thumbsup:

And about Frogren, well Fletcher screwed up and we're ponying up the consequences. A drop in the bucket for MLSE and he's worth the pick so it's ok.

The Canes take out the Rangers! We're doing our part for you Yuk.Your boys are tanking.WTF? :rolleyes:

We looked good tonight. We've won 10 in a row at home and 7 straight.4 games left,Pittsburgh Saturday,NYI Tuesday,Beefalo Thursday,all at home. And to end the season we go up to New Jersey next Saturday...

Go Canes!!!!!!

You will definately see a serious contender Pat and quite possibly a cup.

With straps attached to it! :lol:

:lol: That's a good one !

The Sabres are not out of it yet but they are in a bad spot. All that can be asked of them is to give it everything they've got. Losing Miller and Vanek without a doubt has hurt the club badly. Not to mention that it couldn't have happened at a worse time. There's still hope though and who know's what could happen should they make it. Playoff predictions are a shot in the dark at the best of times

Archived