The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Yes, I remember Butler and I remember that game against Calgary. You know that I've been in the Sabres corner all year and still hope and think that they can squeeze into the playoffs. I'm not writing them off. Regardless, I agree that a knee jerk reaction would be a bad thing. There is a solid base of players and some real structure in management. It would be stupid to take that apart . With the cap controlling so much in today's game, there are some serious limits imposed on GM's. Any club with a fair amount of young players in the lineup needs to be patient. Making moves for the sake of making moves can be disasterous for any club but more so for those in so called smaller markets. The Sabres have been successful bringing in young players and keeping their costs down. They were doing that long before the salary cap was introduced to the league. They were the model. Almost every team in the game today is in a position of being a contender one year and out of the playoff picture the next. Or vise versa. Ruff and Regier have not suddenly become bad at their jobs just because the Sabres might not make it.

I agree totally. Especially given the key injuries to the franchise goalie and the leading scorer. You can't just go on and not miss a beat without them and Lindy knew that. I don't think Golisano, the owner, will fire Lindy. No way. That would be stupid and I as one long time fan would protest it until they locked me up. Roy and Pommenville have not had good years but will again. They are the key guys next to Vanek and of course Ryan Miller. Speaking of whom, it will be interesting to see who gets the nod to play for team USA in Vancouver? Versus thinks its a toss up between Miller and Thomas of Boston and it will depend on who is playing better then. Well, then is a long way away.

It is a toss up at the moment but my guess is that both will get a chance. Di Pietro as well. The hottest one at the time will get the nod. My neighbour has ticket's for the gold medal game. Who know's who'll be playing in that one

Im surprised the tickets are on sale already. Hell, that means there is no shot for outsiders. Unless they want to pay scalp prices. No way. I would expect Canada vs Russia. But I guess you cant ever count out Sweden or even the US? I think Canada will be there for sure.

There were a certain amount of ticket's that were put up for the locals for all events. A lottery system was used. He filled out his form and got lucky with the draw. He actually ended up with tickets to both the men's and women's gold medal games. There are ticket's available to every country involved so you would need to check

I have enough trouble dragging the wife to a Sabres game. She actually likes it now. Even watches the end of the games when im downstairs watching when she wants to watch something like desperate housewives. Pretty soon I may be watching it if the Sabres dont get moving. I think going to Vancouver is more realistic in the summer time. I would love to see it for sure. I will try and get her to go to a Bills game which she says she wants no part of. I told her you havent lived until you go to one. Nothing quite like it. But tickets are already scarce Im sure. With our new boy in town. You know who. Ill spare this thread anyway. Not the others. :D

I hear ya. Summer is definately the best time for a trip to BC. TBH, if I can leave town during the Olympics and my fear of flying doesn't get in the way, I'll be on the first plane to anywhere :D

just saw the terrible news about Pyatt's fiance. The Vancouver, former Sabres, player's fiance was killed in a tragic auto accident. Terrible.

You've broken the news to me Yukon. Seems she was in Jamaica with her mother and their cab lost control and hit a power pole. She was the only one killed. They were to be married this summer. This is tragic news. Such a young girl

We've clinched a playoff spot.It wasn't too long ago that you said that we weren't going to make it Yuk. <_< Looks like you're on the outside looking in. :unsure: You need a wing and a prayer!Looks like Vanek has fallen off the turnip truck too!

I know that you're going to hand me the "Miller/Vanek" line but good teams find a way to win.If you recall,the year we won the Cup,Cam was our backup.Enough said!

Last nights game against the Penguins was fast and furious.We're a lot alike in the quickness department.Cam was incredible last night he stopped Crosby on a clean breakaway and stopped Evgeni Malkin who was awarded a penalty shot!

you make it sound irrevelant that Miller was out for 13 games. Do you really think it had no impact? Or losing vanek? That is bs. You made the playoffs yes. But only because of Ward's goaltending . You lose Ward and you are done. What are the chances of your only real goalie being run and injured? Not that good. If Miller didnt get hurt, we would be ahead of Montreal, Rangers and Florida for sure. We lost our entire defense, 4 starters the year you won. And it still took game 7 and a comeback in the third to win. You know we would have beaten Edmonton also. And we would have beaten you if we were healthy. A small market team like Buffalo cant lose a guy like Miller and do what the Rangers can do. They have unlimited funds. you better hope you dont play Boston because you cant beat them and you know it.

What about the other 69 games? Maybe you should have taken care of business earlier?

I'm just winding you up a bit Yuk! I know where you're at. ;) I do feel bad for ya. :(

Yukon...

I should have been more specific..I do not want to see any more dismal Leafs games..I don't give a d*** about The Habs...I'm too distraught to cheer for any other team...

Wilson needs to be dismissed....and I need a coffee

Juliet :coffee:

PS If you are reading this Vesa, my sweet...continued good recovery, honey bun.. :air_kiss:

I disagree very strongly. You cant blame Wilson. Hell, they wouldnt have won half the game they won if they didnt have him. He is a good coach. You dont have any talent. You cant blame Wilson for that. We need to beat the Red Wings tonight or its pretty much over. Go Sabres!

PS the game is on Versus. Coast to Coast.

Good luck tonight Yukon. I really want to see the Sabres make it in :beer:

Thanks Ally,. Its a must win for sure. No getting around it. We can win it any way. A SO is fine as Detroit is in the West. But we must win. Even then, its still going to be tough. But the good thing is montreal plays the Rangers tomorrow I believe. It would be better to see Montreal win, and they will be playing hard because they have Florida breathing down their necks. We would win any tie breakers with Florida. That is also good. But must win tonight against a monster.

Hard to figure the Red Wings out at the moment. A great team non the less but they're not playing their A-Game at the moment. Maybe they feel they can turn it on whenever they wish. Must be nice to be able to think that way :unsure:

I disagree very strongly. You cant blame Wilson. Hell, they wouldnt have won half the game they won if they didnt have him. He is a good coach. You dont have any talent. You cant blame Wilson for that. We need to beat the Red Wings tonight or its pretty much over. Go Sabres!

PS the game is on Versus. Coast to Coast.

You can disagree all you want...I'm entitled to my opinion....

Some interesting points on versus. Buffalo and Minnesota are the only teams on the bubble, sitting on the outside that have a positive goals for and against other teams. And Buffalo has only two less than Carolina, the hottest team in hockey right now, in the goals for against ratio. What does that tell you? It tells you that losing Miller killed us and they said that on Versus. I wonder who will get whacked first, Montreal or the Flyers? Both will be toast in round one. I say Boston will play either Carolina or Wash in the East. The West is very tough. Another interesting point was that this will be the first time in 13 yrs that Ottawa has been eliminated.

I'm sorry things have turned out this way for the Sabres. No need for huge changes. A little tweaking here and there outta do the job. It's amazing what an off season can do. Guy's get healthy, add a little spark and all of a sudden a team is a contender. It's all about balance and staying away from major changes for the sake of it. With Miller in the lineup, anything can happen. Losing him when you did, was a huge blow. Just not enough time to catch up

Many on the Buffalo News blog dont agree. Full of blundering idiots that piss me off. Another of my posts was instantly taken down. Surprise surprise. I stuck up for Lindy ruff and said exactly what you just said. I hope that common sense prevails. Well, Im back on suicide watch. I wish you luck with Vancouver.

They're frustrated and need a place to vent it.

As much as I'd love to see the Canucks do something big this year, it won't be the end of the world or a total suprise if they go out in the first round. I've picked them to go all the way but as you said earlier, the west is a tough place to do buisness. There are many teams who could go the distance.

I was under the impression that with Montreal's loss last night we were mathematically eliminated. I just learned we are not. I guess if Buffalo wins all three and the Rangers losd two and Florida loses, we would be in. It seems like a longshot and Im sure it is. But on paper, the games Florida and the Rangers have I would expect to lose. Assuming the Flyers show up, now that they are in, who knows. Im sure it will be over soon, I hope Florida makes it over the Rangers though.

It seems Florida can earn no more than three points. And that will be tough as they have games at Atlanta and vs Washington. The tough part is hoping the Rangers lose both. I never thought Id say this. Go Flyers. So I guess Miller will play in Toronto tonight. If we dont beat those chumps we dont deserve to make it.

Then you have us tomorrow. :o

Maybe we'll give you guys a pass tonight Yuk! ;) Besides,we're way over due for a loss!

I'd love to have the two points though.It would be nice to have at least the first round of the playoffs at home.

^ Yukon, so are you guys in? Can't keep track of the tight race, it's confusing. That was a great penalty shot goal tonight wowzers. Yeah, what'd I tell you about Lalime?? You got one Ottawa castaway kryptonite, we got the other in Gerber.

No Patricia, we are in mourning. It sucks. We have a good team. Too good to be going home. But Miller's long injury was too much to overcome. Damn. I am quite depressed over it all. :depressed:

I feel your pain :console: Well, at least we can put our sparring to rest for this post season, but being ever the optimist (a must in Leafland) I predict some great debates when our two teams are in the playoffs next year. Until then :beer:

Ive spent the better half of the last night letting them have it on the Buffalo News blog. Half my posts have been removed :o . Bunch of morons and idiots abound, calling for Lindy's job and such. Fair weather fans that show up on that board. The editors are a bunch of Nazi's. Probably want Lindy fired too. They haven't heard the last of me! :mad:

You'll be back next year Yukon. I liken the situation with Miller being out to the Canucks skid when Luongo was out in January. If he'd been out during the last month of the season, Vancouver could easily have been on the outside looking in.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Lindy Ruff. Not many coaches in this league could have done a better job given all the injuries etc. Many in Vancouver were calling for Vigneault's head when we missed the playoffs last year. Now, he's a hero. If we go out in the first round, he'll be a bum again :lol: . Personally, I think he's a great coach either way.

LINDY RUFF WILL COACH TEAM CANADA!!!!!!! :D:cheer:

Well well, what about that? Great news!!!!!!!

Wow, that new's came in after my previous post. Great call by Yzerman. This is great new's for all involved. Hopefully Lindy will get some long overdue recognition

Archived