The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I do not believe they can win two in Chicago. One will be tough enough. I believe Washington will win their series. Pittsburgh will not go quietly but I think its too much to overcome. Will be interesting to see how Boston does at Carolina. They have played well there before and Carolina like many teams seem to throw more bad games at home than on the road. That one could go seven.

See that Naslund has retired. Long time Vancouver Canuck.

Yeah, winning any in Chicago will be tough but I think the Canucks have to go there thinking that they can.

Naslund was a great servant here. The last couple of years he played in Vancouver were hampered by injury and the Todd Bertuzzi incident but he certainly had some great years in a Canuck's jersey.

I'm sure the club will honour him at some point next season

Oh...my...fucking...god...

Detroit loses the game because one of the refs is a fucking assclown who should be fired for his fucking incompetence to realize that the fucking puck was fucking loose and the goal should fucking count..

goddammit i am so pissed off right now

Ally! Pound those brews buddy! You're lookin good after two periods. Hope I dont jinx you! Cheers! :o

Wish I could Yukon but had to work tonght and missed everything. :( Maybe I should do that more often :D

Detroit loses the game because one of the refs is a fucking assclown who should be fired for his fucking incompetence to realize that the fucking puck was fucking loose and the goal should fucking count..

Just saw the replay and you guy's were definately robbed. It wasn't even a close call :( . Hate to see horrible calls like that decide the outcome of games

Oh man. I just saw the replay. Have to agree with you guys: B-R-U-T-A-L. The ref was channeling Kerry Fraser who blew a call on Gretzky when he cut Gilmour with a high stick. Next shift, 99 was on the ice and scored for the Kings in the semis. Hopefully this fuels the Wings to take it into another gear.

There is some mention that the Phoenix Coyotes could be moved? One individual is trying to move them to southern Ontario but where would that be? Hamilton? What city would be large enough given Toronto already has the Leafs? I had always thought Kansas City might be the next location of a franchise? I remember the bid by Saskatoon years ago. Anyway, I really think that they may be out of Phoenix by next year? Too bad.

Yeah it's Jim Balsillie, the guy behind the BlackBerry. It's his, what, third attempt at landing an NHL franchise? Even though the league doesn't like to move franchises, especially in markets where they're trying to establish hockey so that the business expands (a 'what's best for the NHL long term' scenario), I don't know that Phoenix was the best choice for such an expansion to begin with. They've been bleeding losses to the point of filing now for bankruptcy. What's best for the NHL in this case is perhaps moving the team to a market that wants a team and loves hockey to begin with. And yep, I definitely think it's Hamilton. I wonder whether that stubborn ass Betman will get in the way again...

Yeah it's Jim Balsillie, the guy behind the BlackBerry. It's his, what, third attempt at landing an NHL franchise? Even though the league doesn't like to move franchises, especially in markets where they're trying to establish hockey so that the business expands (a 'what's best for the NHL long term' scenario), I don't know that Phoenix was the best choice for such an expansion to begin with. They've been bleeding losses to the point of filing now for bankruptcy. What's best for the NHL in this case is perhaps moving the team to a market that wants a team and loves hockey to begin with. And yep, I definitely think it's Hamilton. I wonder whether that stubborn ass Betman will get in the way again...

I guess the question is whether the Leafs and the Sabres, to a certain degree are willing to have another team in their market share. Not that I wouldn't like to see Hamilton with a team but I'd really love to see Winnipeg get it's franchise back. :)

I guess the question is whether the Leafs and the Sabres, to a certain degree are willing to have another team in their market share. Not that I wouldn't like to see Hamilton with a team but I'd really love to see Winnipeg get it's franchise back. :)

Me too, that would be ideal. It's such a different market than when it left, one which can better sustain the market fluctuations, with at least a stable, built-in fan base. With a team in Hamilton, there may be a glut with Leafs and Sabres, you're right. I think the market could withstand an extra team, but it would never be one which would be huge, just strong and steady, which is more than you can say for many teams. I thought the cap was supposed to fix all of these financial woes...?

Me too, that would be ideal. It's such a different market than when it left, one which can better sustain the market fluctuations, with at least a stable, built-in fan base. With a team in Hamilton, there may be a glut with Leafs and Sabres, you're right. I think the market could withstand an extra team, but it would never be one which would be huge, just strong and steady, which is more than you can say for many teams. I thought the cap was supposed to fix all of these financial woes...?

You've hit the nail on the head. There is room for another team in SO but your right, it would never be solid. The Leafs to their credit, are entrenched in that market. Winnipeg has a new arena, and fan support was never an issue there to begin with. If another Canadian team is not going to be in the cards, I say they should look at Portland Oregon. They have the arena and fan support for hockey is huge. I'd include Seattle in there as well but they don't have an adequet arena at the moment

Just saw the replay and you guy's were definately robbed. It wasn't even a close call :( . Hate to see horrible calls like that decide the outcome of games
I know, it was absolutely horrible. He was justifying his call to the players but then he looked up and watched the replay and the other refs just kinda looked at him and when they were all talking about it, it was obvious that they weren't happy with him.

Fuck man, I can't believe they can't overturn that, such bullshit.

Oh man. I just saw the replay. Have to agree with you guys: B-R-U-T-A-L. The ref was channeling Kerry Fraser who blew a call on Gretzky when he cut Gilmour with a high stick. Next shift, 99 was on the ice and scored for the Kings in the semis. Hopefully this fuels the Wings to take it into another gear.

It had better. But then again, the hockey gods have always favored the Ducks in the playoffs. They're a bunch of mediocre thugs AT BEST during the regular season, but they're always notoriously lucky in the playoffs and its starting to show again...

Oh, and I've noticed that the refs, particularly this series, have been straight up awful. Not even just for the Wings, I mean there's been so many bad calls or missed calls for both teams its pathetic. Mickey Redmond was starting to audibly get very upset, you could just tell. He was pissed, especially when the goal was overturned. We got screwed

^ you'd think that with two refs and two linesmen the calls would improve. I guess it's another example of quantity not equaling quality. They have missed a lot during these playoffs, though the players have given them more than enough to go after. I just really hate 'make-up' penalties when they miss obvious ones and then make phantom calls on love taps. It's that kind of inconsistency that adds to the overall lack on consistency in both expectations and delivery of calls. It takes away from the flow and enjoyment of the game.

If this guy wants to move the Coyotes to Hamilton, do any of you Toronto or Canadien fans think its a big enough market? How do the bulldogs of the AHL draw? I would think most in that area are Leaf fans and it would be basically another place to catch a game. They would probably cheer for Toronto more than Hamilton when they played there? I don't think it would hurt the Sabres. They get a good draw from Rochester and Buffalo is a great hockey town. The Toronto fans that cross to see the Leafs are always going to come when the Leafs are here. It would seem that Winnipeg is a bigger market? Am I wrong?

There's definitely a market, since Hamilton already known as more 'blue-collar' than T.O.. I've never been to a minors game, but there's very strong support for it here & in Hamilton. Grassroots hockey has never waned, I don't think.

Another great thing about a team in Hamilton is it would give fans another cheaper option to see games. Healthy competition may finally get the suits at MLSE to offer more affordable tickets. Same thing for Buffalo, I would imagine.

^ Sorry I didn't write what I meant which was that going to Hamilton would be cheaper, just as going to Buffalo is now for Leafs fans. It would be cheaper for Sabres fans to see their team play in Hamilton as opposed to in Toronto, too. And that's a good thing. Toronto's the big beast that would need to look both ways now. More competition is better for the smaller market teams.

If this guy wants to move the Coyotes to Hamilton, do any of you Toronto or Canadien fans think its a big enough market? How do the bulldogs of the AHL draw? I would think most in that area are Leaf fans and it would be basically another place to catch a game. They would probably cheer for Toronto more than Hamilton when they played there? I don't think it would hurt the Sabres. They get a good draw from Rochester and Buffalo is a great hockey town. The Toronto fans that cross to see the Leafs are always going to come when the Leafs are here. It would seem that Winnipeg is a bigger market? Am I wrong?

Hi Yukon:

I think the team should be based out of London, Ontario..the London Knights (OHL) get a great crowd...

It would mean that I would have to forget about supporting The Leafs....so be it!!!!! A change will do me good....

Juliet :coffee:

Archived