The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Ok, so I've pretty much gotten the message about who the most popular players are in the league, but is there anybody I should be watching whose name isn't getting shouted from the rafters? For instance, if I were to answer my own question, I'd pick Johan Franzen of the Red Wings right now. He's not Mr. Flashy, but he gits 'er done and helps out everybody else in the process...if that makes sense. Or like...I don't know, this is a horrible example, but Evgeni Malkin. EVERYBODY knows who Malkin is, so there went my criteria out the window, but you know how he's kinda second banana to Crosby, who gets all the attention, but he's still a really good player? I mean guys like that, but on a lesser-known scale. Any suggestions?

Losing Campbell will not help Chicago. And the lack of a big time goalie and a possible first round meeting with Detroit is not good either. Still think when all is said and done, it will be Chicago or San Jose against Vancouver for the West and I am picking Vancouver to get there. Top seeds in the East should get through the first round and I am thinking New Jersey and Ottawa could meet in first round and that would be a tossup. I think that Buffalo and Pittsburgh will meet in the second round and Washington will not be stopped from getting to the conferance final. And Buffalo will be there waiting. That will be a good one. Miller can be the difference. So this hockey fan likes a final between two teams that joined the league together. Buffalo and Vancouver. Miller vs Luongo part two. US vs Canada part II

For an underrated player, how about Daniel Sedin from Vancouver. He is great but doesn't get a lot of national recognition.

Cool, thanks! That'll work out good since, as silvermedalist was saying, Vancouver looks like a team to watch in the playoffs. I'm picking San Jose and Washington for the finals, but I like the idea of a Miller-Luongo rematch.

Edit: ...Although after seeing that the Stars vs. Sharks game is 8-2 right now, and that they lost the last two games to Anaheim and Florida, uh, I could be wrong about that. They kinda fizzled out about this time last year, too, didn't they?

Cool, thanks! That'll work out good since, as silvermedalist was saying, Vancouver looks like a team to watch in the playoffs. I'm picking San Jose and Washington for the finals, but I like the idea of a Miller-Luongo rematch.

Edit: ...Although after seeing that the Stars vs. Sharks game is 8-2 right now, and that they lost the last two games to Anaheim and Florida, uh, I could be wrong about that. They kinda fizzled out about this time last year, too, didn't they?

The Sharks are a team that has a history of underachieving in the playoffs but it's hard not to consider them one of the favorites to win the west. Chicago and Vancouver both have a legitimate shot as well. As is the case almost every year, there is a good chance we will see some upsets as well. If the Wings make it , they would be the last team anyone would want to play in the first round. IMHO, I think Buffalo, Washington and Pittsburgh will be the teams to look out for in the east.

Hats off to the Leafs who somehow manage to just own Ottawa. Ottawa just can't beat them. Strange. But I'll say one thing, this goalie for Toronto has been playing amazing. I had thought Giguere would be the guy but no way now after the last two games. I can't remember his name, maybe a Leafs fan here can enlighten us. All good teams are going to have their bad nights. I wouldn't read too much into the Sharks loss to Dallas or Vancouver's loss to the Islanders or Buffalo's to Atlanta. I can tell you the Sabres outplayed them for most of the game and were done in in the first five minutes. Don't ever remember Miller being pulled. Lindy did not want to but felt it wasn't his night. They had better get it together in Florida. Maybe the Rangers are toast now? They were right there but losing to Montreal will not help them. Boston is three up again with games in hand. The Flyers are fading fast and I wonder if someone on the outside could catch them? Tomorrow night's game between Boston and Pittsburgh will be one to keep an eye on. Too bad it wasn't on St Patty's day. Trouble is anticipated. Cooke or Crosby? Who are they going to take a run at? Ovetchkin's hit was borderline dirty but to me Chris Neil is still the dirtiest player in the game. Or in the top three.

Some experts are anticipating trouble in Boston tonight for the Penguin's visit. Will they go after Cooke for the hit that he was not punished for? Will have to see if Vancouver can beat a Sharks team that has given them fits. I think that it won't matter much come playoff time but Vancouver may be due for a bit of a let down as well as they have played and after the upset by the Islanders. Hoping that Atlanta can keep Ottawa's losing streak going but wouldn't bet on it. The Sabres better get it going and fast. Don't want to be below a three seed. Calgary has kept the heat on Detroit with last night's win. Would like to see the Red Wings home watching to see how the rest of the world lives once in a while. But they are loaded with talent, so I will be surprised if they don't make it especially given the weak schedule they have upcoming.

How does Toronto manage to simply own New Jersey and Ottawa? They will be back in the race next year for sure. Right now I believe they are better than Boston and I know they are better than the Rangers. The Boston is just begging for someone to jump up and catch them. The Rangers cant do it. Maybe Atlanta? Maybe Carolina if they can win over 90 percent of their games. Possible, except for this Sunday when the Sabres are in town. Hat trick for Pommenville! Ottawa in the rear view mirror to stay! Now to catch the Devils or Penguins. Very possible. Canucks had a nice win over San Jose. Three team race it seems in each conference but I just can't figure Phoenix out. Or LA.

Edmonton somehow allowed Detroit to tie the game with two tenths of a second left and an empty net. Edmonton is one bad team. Still a long way to go in the race for the eight seed. In the east it seems like Boston does not want any part of it. If they make it they are going to back in.

The Sharks are a team that has a history of underachieving in the playoffs but it's hard not to consider them one of the favorites to win the west. Chicago and Vancouver both have a legitimate shot as well. As is the case almost every year, there is a good chance we will see some upsets as well. If the Wings make it , they would be the last team anyone would want to play in the first round. IMHO, I think Buffalo, Washington and Pittsburgh will be the teams to look out for in the east.

Ah, that's what I thought (about the Sharks). I hope they can turn it around a little; out of the top 3, I'd rather see them in the finals than Vancouver or Chicago (no offense to the Canucks...I just like the Sharks better). On the other hand, if we're just talking about playoffs seeding, if the Wings stay in 8th place and the Hawks move into 1st, I wouldn't mind them playing each other in the 1st round, hehe. We can't beat the farkin' Oilers, but the Hawks? No problem! San Jose would be okay to play against if they keep going like they are, but I'd rather see both the Wings and them get through. As far as upsets go, how 'bout Phoenix? 8 wins in a row - what a tear they're on!

Yeah, I agree about Buffalo, Washington, and Pittsburgh being the Eastern teams to watch...that top 3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I've also become rather attached to the Devils lately - I watched a game or two just out of curiosity to see how they did with Kovalchuk, as you know, but I just kept on watching - so I have to give Jersey a little shout-out.

Speaking of shout-outs, how 'bout that literally last-second goal by The Zettermeister in OT against Vancouver today?! I am going to die of a heart attack before April gets here, but hopefully it'll be due to something like this instead of something like the Oilers last night.

Ah, that's what I thought (about the Sharks). I hope they can turn it around a little; out of the top 3, I'd rather see them in the finals than Vancouver or Chicago (no offense to the Canucks...I just like the Sharks better). On the other hand, if we're just talking about playoffs seeding, if the Wings stay in 8th place and the Hawks move into 1st, I wouldn't mind them playing each other in the 1st round, hehe. We can't beat the farkin' Oilers, but the Hawks? No problem! San Jose would be okay to play against if they keep going like they are, but I'd rather see both the Wings and them get through. As far as upsets go, how 'bout Phoenix? 8 wins in a row - what a tear they're on!

Yeah, I agree about Buffalo, Washington, and Pittsburgh being the Eastern teams to watch...that top 3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I've also become rather attached to the Devils lately - I watched a game or two just out of curiosity to see how they did with Kovalchuk, as you know, but I just kept on watching - so I have to give Jersey a little shout-out.

Speaking of shout-outs, how 'bout that literally last-second goal by The Zettermeister in OT against Vancouver today?! I am going to die of a heart attack before April gets here, but hopefully it'll be due to something like this instead of something like the Oilers last night.

Phoenix have had a great regular season and the same can also be said for Colorado and LA . Predicting the playoffs is always a dicey thing but I'll stick with my original choices . In the end, the 6 teams I listed have everything that it takes to make the finals and it will just boil down to how the teams match up against each other. I hope it's a Vancouver/ Buffalo final but tbh, I'm having concerns about Luongos recent habbit of letting in soft goals when we have a lead. Yeah, he made 50 saves last night but he let them back into the game with that soft second goal. Can't be doing that in the playoffs !

I would not be concerned about Luongo in the least. Its hard to beat a team that is fighting for their lives when you really dont need the game that much. Vancouver is going to be fine. Miller has had his off nights and would be the first to admit it. I am happy for Phoenix and their success, but in the end, they are pretenders and will be disposed of by the big three. Vancouver, Chicago or San Jose. The Sabres played them their and took them apart. Im not a bit worried about them as a threat, in fact LA scared me more but think they are also pretenders and both have to be darn happy with their seasons. Especially LA who hasnt made the playoffs in ages. As for Toronto, man are they playing well. Wilson has shown what a good coach he is. When I look at the Sabres remaining schedule the games that scare me the most are Toronto, as they are due to beat us, and tonight at Carolina. They are rested, and I worry that Lindy will play Lalime. And they are fighting for their playoff lives. The Sabres are going to be out for blood when Ottawa comes in next Friday. I too, am praying for a Buffalo and Vancouver final. Throwing alll the so called experts off their Washington vs Chicago or San Jose final they are wanting. Buffalo and Vancouver have one thing those teams dont have. the best two goalies in the game. Sorry Martin Broduer, you are a hall of famer, but not the best now. I think Atlanta will somehow find a way to get the 8 seed in the East. Think Boston and the Rangers are playing terrible. They meet today in a huge game. If the Rangers lose, you can officially put a fork in them.

Your right about the Leafs . With Wilson and Burke steering the ship, it is only a matter of time before they become legitimate contenders.Earlier in the season I had thought they may even make a push for the 8 spot this year. With more changes to the team on the way, they are a cert to make the playoffs next season and I believe they will be a threat for a number of years to come

Im fed up with NBC and ESPN. ESPN for not having an NHL contract, and I will watch nothing they have on. And NBC for either shoving Pittsburgh and Washington or Detroit down our throats every week. And now the Rangers and Boston? What about the Sabres and Vancouver and LA? No damn respect. Well, respect is coming fast. When they knock the household names out of it. Boston just scored. If the Rangers don't come back and win this one, they are melba toast.

Phoenix have had a great regular season and the same can also be said for Colorado and LA . Predicting the playoffs is always a dicey thing but I'll stick with my original choices . In the end, the 6 teams I listed have everything that it takes to make the finals and it will just boil down to how the teams match up against each other. I hope it's a Vancouver/ Buffalo final but tbh, I'm having concerns about Luongos recent habbit of letting in soft goals when we have a lead. Yeah, he made 50 saves last night but he let them back into the game with that soft second goal. Can't be doing that in the playoffs !

Sorry, I didn't realize you were from Vancouver, ally - I didn't mean to rub it in your face that Detroit won last night. I mean, I am pretty happy about it, but I didn't mean to be a jerk about it. You'll probably be in the 2nd round of the playoffs at least and the Wings won't, though, so there's your revenge, heh.

On the Leafs: I hope they get better, too; I hate seeing them at the bottom of the Eastern Conference. It's just...wrong! The hockey capital of the world should not be in the last spot in the standings, and I'm glad you guys think there's hope for them next season.

About TV: I agree. I'm a Wings fan, but let's face it, they don't exactly deserve all the national TV coverage they've been getting this year, and despite the fact that I like to watch Pittsburgh and Washington because they're good, there are only so many times you can put them on on Sunday. And then, I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but it seems like every time the networks (especially VS.) are kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel and trying to figure out which game to show, it's always, "Oh hell, just put on the Rangers." That can't be true, but I swear I've seen the bleedin' Rangers on VS. as many times as the Penguins. I'm glad Boston won, by the way.

Sabres win again beating Carolina. The northeast division title is ours. Bring on Pittsburgh and the Devils in round two. Lets go Buffalo!!!!! Myers will be the best defenseman in this league for many years to come. The kid is amazing. Miller isn't bad either. Connelly is showing what kind of a player he is. Sabres number one in the NHL on the penalty kill.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were from Vancouver, ally - I didn't mean to rub it in your face that Detroit won last night. I mean, I am pretty happy about it, but I didn't mean to be a jerk about it. You'll probably be in the 2nd round of the playoffs at least and the Wings won't, though, so there's your revenge, heh.

On the Leafs: I hope they get better, too; I hate seeing them at the bottom of the Eastern Conference. It's just...wrong! The hockey capital of the world should not be in the last spot in the standings, and I'm glad you guys think there's hope for them next season.

About TV: I agree. I'm a Wings fan, but let's face it, they don't exactly deserve all the national TV coverage they've been getting this year, and despite the fact that I like to watch Pittsburgh and Washington because they're good, there are only so many times you can put them on on Sunday. And then, I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but it seems like every time the networks (especially VS.) are kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel and trying to figure out which game to show, it's always, "Oh hell, just put on the Rangers." That can't be true, but I swear I've seen the bleedin' Rangers on VS. as many times as the Penguins. I'm glad Boston won, by the way.

Oh, no worries smile.gif I didn't take it as a rub but wouldn't have been upset even if it was ! Having been involved in team sports, taking the piss out of an opponent and being able to take it in return is almost as much fun as playing itself tongue.giflaugh.gif

Archived