The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

WOW that goal looked eerily similar to the one Canada scored to win the gold. Congratulations to the Hawks and to the city of Chicago. A long drought has mercifully ended with a well deserving team playing great hockey.

A bit bittersweet, though, as this means the season is over.

Enjoy it Chi-town fans!

WOW that goal looked eerily similar to the one Canada scored to win the gold. Congratulations to the Hawks and to the city of Chicago. A long drought has mercifully ended with a well deserving team playing great hockey.

A bit bittersweet, though, as this means the season is over.

Enjoy it Chi-town fans!

Couldn't agree more about the OT goal and the Hawks. Congrats Chicago !

Typical classless Philly fans booing. great win Chicago!!! Great to see the best team win!!! And those dirt bags in orange and black lose!!

Stfu asshole. Detroit did it also.

If you had half a brain, you'd realize no one likes Gary Bettman so EVERYONE boos him.

Congratulations To Chicago on winning the toughest trophy of them all!! That makes my Maple Leafs the holder of the longest current cup drought (1967). And that little troll of a commissioner deserves to be booed at every arena he makes a experience at.

Couldn't agree more about the OT goal and the Hawks. Congrats Chicago !

At least you know what it feels like!! Hopefully Leafs fans won't have to experience this vicariously for much longer.

Congratulations To Chicago on winning the toughest trophy of them all!! That makes my Maple Leafs the holder of the longest current cup drought (1967). And that little troll of a commissioner deserves to be booed at every arena he makes a experience at.

Hockey ruiner. *sigh* if anyone can bring the Cup here it's Burke. I have faith. Pretty much all there is for us, really. Looking forward to 'next season.'

Congrats, Chicago! That's the last time you'll ever hear me say that, so breathe it in deep. Congrats to Toews for getting the Conn Smythe...I know he didn't score any goals this series, but you can't say he just sat back and let everybody else do the work - dude was crazy on face-offs - and then there's the off-ice factor of leadership and pulling everybody together and all that, so I think it's well-deserved. Glad Kane didn't get it. :shifty:

Argh, I can't believe the season's over. October can't come soon enough. Can't wait to see the Wings back in action, and it'll be really interesting to see how Tampa Bay does with their new GM and everybody.

At least you know what it feels like!! Hopefully Leafs fans won't have to experience this vicariously for much longer.

Hockey ruiner. *sigh* if anyone can bring the Cup here it's Burke. I have faith. Pretty much all there is for us, really. Looking forward to 'next season.'

You should be looking forward to next season Pat as I really don't think the Leafs are that far away from being in the hunt. The salary cap is an issue for a number of teams and that will mean some good players will be available. No doubt Burke will be active during the off season.

On a side note, I can't help but feel for former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon. This guy built that cup winning team yet because of a clerical error, was dumped on his ass at the beginning of the season. If anyone deserves credit for what the Hawks have achieved, it's him . I wish him well with his new GM's job with Florida.

Stfu asshole. Detroit did it also.

If you had half a brain, you'd realize no one likes Gary Bettman so EVERYONE boos him.

I have a brain unlike you Philly fans!! You are all classless dick heads. Hockey won out and not the NHL's version of the WWF. Stick it Wolfman!!!

As for the Leafs, I agree they will be fighting for a playoff position. But for you to say your drought is that bad, hell, you at least have won. Back when there were six teams. Kills me how you Leafs fans whine. Vancouver and Buffalo came into the league in 1970. True, no Cup yet, but soon. And Ill tell you both have been better teams consistantly than the Leafs and Flyers who just happened to suck out due to Montreal. Montreal probably helped Chicago win by knocking out Washington. If Chicago played the first 5 games of the series against the Caps like they did against the Flyers, the Caps would have lit them up. As for the Flyers, Richards is a darn good player. Briere, is a one way player. Pronger will soon retire. So better go get a goalie you Flyers. Dont be fooled that you have one now. You dont. I say the Leafs may sneak into the 8 seed next year. I also say the Devils and Ottawa will not make it. The Devils have lots of problems

So my final thought. Philly sucks. Briere sucks. Wolfman sucks. ck.gif

You should be looking forward to next season Pat as I really don't think the Leafs are that far away from being in the hunt. The salary cap is an issue for a number of teams and that will mean some good players will be available. No doubt Burke will be active during the off season.

On a side note, I can't help but feel for former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon. This guy built that cup winning team yet because of a clerical error, was dumped on his ass at the beginning of the season. If anyone deserves credit for what the Hawks have achieved, it's him . I wish him well with his new GM's job with Florida.

We had an almost exact conversation before last season, Ally, you know, before we ended up giving Boston the second overall pick *sigh*. Well, Phaneuf will be named captain on Monday, which I think is a good idea. If a team takes on the character of its leader, then he's head and shoulders the top choice even though he's only been with the Leafs for a short while. That was a steal (nice to be on the receiving end of one for once. We're also tweaking the uniform and I think THAT'S the reason for our decades of futility. This current 11-point leaf was introduced by Harold Ballard and it's the only design variation with which we've never won the Cup. That must be it!!! :yesnod: Nope. Not losing it AT ALL :lol:

Didn't realize that about Tallon. What's this about the clerical error? Anyone who helped build that team (and did you notice Scotty Bowman had the golden touch on yet another Cup winner?) deserves credit. Very solid team that can play a variety of styles.

Certainly the Leafs could make the playoffs next year. And perhaps at New Jersey's expense, I have a funny feeling they may not even make it (Devils). Big problems. Have to figure Carolina to be back in the playoff race, even though Washington should be a lock to win that division. Many unrestricted free agents and it will be interesting. I am hoping Buffalo goes after Whitney or Frovlov.

We had an almost exact conversation before last season, Ally, you know, before we ended up giving Boston the second overall pick *sigh*. Well, Phaneuf will be named captain on Monday, which I think is a good idea. If a team takes on the character of its leader, then he's head and shoulders the top choice even though he's only been with the Leafs for a short while. That was a steal (nice to be on the receiving end of one for once. We're also tweaking the uniform and I think THAT'S the reason for our decades of futility. This current 11-point leaf was introduced by Harold Ballard and it's the only design variation with which we've never won the Cup. That must be it!!! yesnod.gif Nope. Not losing it AT ALL laugh.gif

Didn't realize that about Tallon. What's this about the clerical error? Anyone who helped build that team (and did you notice Scotty Bowman had the golden touch on yet another Cup winner?) deserves credit. Very solid team that can play a variety of styles.

biggrin.gif Yeah, we did have that conversation and maybe I was a little too optimistic about the Leafs fortunes but, I still believe they are not that far away. Didn't know that about the Leaf ... sounds like something Harold would do ohmy.gif

Tallon made offers to a couple of players ( can't remember who ) that put the Hawks into some cap trouble. He misread the previous offer sheet and ended up paying the two players more than he needed to. Yeah, it was a dumb mistake but I just thought the way he was shown the door stunk of opportunism by senior management...ie Scotty Bowman

biggrin.gif Yeah, we did have that conversation and maybe I was a little too optimistic about the Leafs fortunes but, I still believe they are not that far away. Didn't know that about the Leaf ... sounds like something Harold would do ohmy.gif

Tallon made offers to a couple of players ( can't remember who ) that put the Hawks into some cap trouble. He misread the previous offer sheet and ended up paying the two players more than he needed to. Yeah, it was a dumb mistake but I just thought the way he was shown the door stunk of opportunism by senior management...ie Scotty Bowman

I am not much of a fan of Scotty. I saw him sitting at a Rochester Americans AHL game years ago, by himself in the average level seats. Imagine that. No wife. I think in the days when he was in the Sabres organization. Lets not get carried away with the Leafs now. They may make the playoffs, but they will not finish ahead of my Sabres. No way!!

I am not much of a fan of Scotty. I saw him sitting at a Rochester Americans AHL game years ago, by himself in the average level seats. Imagine that. No wife. I think in the days when he was in the Sabres organization. Lets not get carried away with the Leafs now. They may make the playoffs, but they will not finish ahead of my Sabres. No way!!

Making the playoffs is what I was referring to. Once there...who knows !

Making the playoffs is what I was referring to. Once there...who knows !

Based on the shocking events of this years playoffs, I guess that is true for sure. But I dont see it happening two straight years. You still have to have a good regular season to make it. And leaving just enough breathing room to make it in a shootout on the last day is not acceptable. No way does the 8 seed go this far again next year in the East. No way.

Based on the shocking events of this years playoffs, I guess that is true for sure. But I dont see it happening two straight years. You still have to have a good regular season to make it. And leaving just enough breathing room to make it in a shootout on the last day is not acceptable. No way does the 8 seed go this far again next year in the East. No way.

No wonder you hate my Flyers, you're a cruddy Sabres' fan. You can rag on the Flyers all you want but the last time we did win a Cup, WE BEAT THE SABRES (on your ice no less). The best part is due to the realignment in the NHL, you guys can never get revenge on us. Beating us in a playoff series is nothing compared to winning a Stanley Cup. Ha, Ha, too funny. I love it!!!

laugh.gif

P.S. "But Brett was in the crease!"

No wonder you hate my Flyers, you're a cruddy Sabres' fan. You can rag on the Flyers all you want but the last time we did win a Cup, WE BEAT THE SABRES (on your ice no less). The best part is due to the realignment in the NHL, you guys can never get revenge on us. Beating us in a playoff series is nothing compared to winning a Stanley Cup. Ha, Ha, too funny. I love it!!!

laugh.gif

P.S. "But Brett was in the crease!"

35 years ago. Thing is, in recent years we have owned you. 3 of 4 this year included and the last series. Not to mention running Clarke out of his job after a 9-1 drubbing.

35 years ago. Thing is, in recent years we have owned you. 3 of 4 this year included and the last series. Not to mention running Clarke out of his job after a 9-1 drubbing.

Maybe so, but still no Stanley Cup for you guys. As for Clarke, thank you. I loved him as a player but he sucked as a GM.

Ok. You want to talk about the 75 series. I dont know how old you are, but I watched the whole thing. And the only reason the Flyers won, and I mean the only reason, was Parent who still gets my vote as the best of all time. Better than Broduer, Hasek, plante, Roy and the rest. We outshot the Flyers something like 47-18 and lost 1-0 in the final game. The better team did not win. And anyone with any hockey sense knows that. That aside, we beat you in the playoffs the last time and head on we have dominated you in recent years. You know it. So you are telling me that your wins over Montreal and the Devils are meaningless? OK. Fine. I am saying the Flyers were not even close to being the best in the East. Montreal did them the favor of disposing of two teams they never would have beaten. Pittsburgh has owned the Flyers more than any matchup in hockey. You guys just cant beat Pittsburgh. Not at all.

Ok. You want to talk about the 75 series. I dont know how old you are, but I watched the whole thing. And the only reason the Flyers won, and I mean the only reason, was Parent who still gets my vote as the best of all time. Better than Broduer, Hasek, plante, Roy and the rest. We outshot the Flyers something like 47-18 and lost 1-0 in the final game. The better team did not win. And anyone with any hockey sense knows that. That aside, we beat you in the playoffs the last time and head on we have dominated you in recent years. You know it. So you are telling me that your wins over Montreal and the Devils are meaningless? OK. Fine. I am saying the Flyers were not even close to being the best in the East. Montreal did them the favor of disposing of two teams they never would have beaten. Pittsburgh has owned the Flyers more than any matchup in hockey. You guys just cant beat Pittsburgh. Not at all.

Well, we can agree on one thing. I'm very interested to see what we do in the next few weeks. We are probably going to get a young goalie and another defenseman. I'd rather take a step back and get younger. I prefer the speedy Leino-types to the big guys like Carter. Speed kills.

Well, we can agree on one thing. I'm very interested to see what we do in the next few weeks. We are probably going to get a young goalie and another defenseman. I'd rather take a step back and get younger. I prefer the speedy Leino-types to the big guys like Carter. Speed kills.

Boston will no doubt be looking to get rid of Tim Thomas who is not going to settle for a backup to Rask role. They are making a big mistake in my opinion but I believe Washington may go after him unless they go with the kid in Hershey. So Thomas and Price should be available but they will not be cheap. Still, if I were the Flyers, I would strongly consider both. As for my boys, if they can keep Vanek healthy, they can beat anyone. But I want to see Whitney or Frolov in a Sabres uniform. Give up whatever to get them. Ennis will stay up, so perhaps trade Gerbe, Mancari, and both second round picks from Atlanta if necessary. Only thing is, Whitney wants a long term. I would do it but doubt the Sabres brass will.

Archived