The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I hate everything the Flyers have done today.

Our Gm is a fucking idiot and worst of all we are stuck with crappy ass Leighton as our goalie. I've been pissed all day. To top it off NJ and Pitts made some nice moves while our moves sucked ass. FU Homer!!! angry.gif

The price of what it costs to give a greedy sob like Briere wht he wanted. Before he came to Buffalo he wasnt shit. Then he was great in Buffalo and robbed the Flyers in my opinion. He will score some goals, but make no mistake, Richards is your best player and always will be. Keeping Leighton I would also call a mistake, I was sure the Flyers would pursue Tim Thomas and thought others would too. I guess Washington may not be on that list of the goalie in Hershey is that good? So that leaves Turco and Price maybe. Better than Leighton so far. I dont know if Leopold is clearly better than Tallinder. I always liked Henrik and always will. Oh, my mistake, he is now a Devil, not a Penguin and I just cant see him in a Devils uniform But I can see him playing the trap and that is what they will do when they figure out they cant score. Arnott is the best they will have. Broduer's days have to be numbered and the writing is on the wall this could be a long season.

I hate everything the Flyers have done today.

Our Gm is a fucking idiot and worst of all we are stuck with crappy ass Leighton as our goalie. I've been pissed all day. To top it off NJ and Pitts made some nice moves while our moves sucked ass. FU Homer!!! angry.gif

The salary cap and the realization that the Flyers, like most teams who make it to the finals, will have a very difficult time getting back there two years in a row are the most likely reasons Leighton is still there. Turco and Price may be slightly better goaltenders but would either one really be worth the money !?!? My guess is that teams who think they are good enough to make the playoffs but are a bit cap strapped, will make moves on an ...as need basis.. during the season.

The salary cap and the realization that the Flyers, like most teams who make it to the finals, will have a very difficult time getting back there two years in a row are the most likely reasons Leighton is still there. Turco and Price may be slightly better goaltenders but would either one really be worth the money !?!? My guess is that teams who think they are good enough to make the playoffs but are a bit cap strapped, will make moves on an ...as need basis.. during the season.

I wanted Nabby. With our D, I believe he'd have a lot more success. Plus, we still need a RW.

I wanted Nabby. With our D, I believe he'd have a lot more success. Plus, we still need a RW.

Actually, I forgot about Nabby being available ! Although, he seems to be suffering from the same mental problems as Luongo. A change of scenery might have cured that but is it worth taking the chance ??? As a fan, I want the same as any fan when it comes to improving my team but I also understand that if your team is good enough to make the playoffs every year, then our GM's have to be carefull not to use up all of their cap space. Doing so without trading away a player or two in the process can mean years of playing golf come playoff time.

Chicago spent to win a cup and did. Look what they're being forced to do now.

Dont see it happening. You cant possibly have enough money. And if they were going to they would not have signed Leighton. He lands somewhere else I would believe.

WINDSOR, Ont. — Former NHL forward Bob Probert died Monday, after collapsing in a boat on Lake St. Clair near Windsor.

The death was confirmed in Windsor late Monday afternoon by OPP spokeswoman Shawna Coulter.

Emergency crews performed CPR on the former Detroit Red Wings player on shore and transported the 45-year-old to Windsor Regional Hospital.

Probert, who was born in Windsor, played 16 seasons in the NHL. He played for the Red Wings for nine seasons and the Chicago Blackhawks for seven others.

The bruising left-winger scored 163 career NHL goals and set up 221 others for a regular-season total of 384 points, but was best noted for his pugilistic skills. Probert amassed 3,300 penalty minutes in 935 career games, ranking sixth on the all-time penalty minutes leaders’ list.

He was drafted 46th overall in the 1983 NHL entry draft from the Ontario Hockey League’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and played his first game with the Red Wings in the 1985-86 season. He retired following the 2001-2002 season.

Probert never won a Stanley Cup, but he was an all-star in 1988.

Probert was suspended indefinitely after he was arrested for attempting to smuggle cocaine across the Canada-U.S. border in March, 1989. He was welcomed back into the league but barred from travelling with Red Wings for road games in Canada during the 1990-91 and 1991-92 seasons as he appealed a ruling that would have seen him deported from the United States if he left and re-entered the country. He was granted permission to play in Canada on Dec. 7, 1992.

Last fall, he appeared on the CBC series Battle of the Blades. He and partner Kristina Lenko were eliminated in the first week of the program.

The Probert family has called a 6 p.m. news conference at Windsor Regional Hospital to issue a statement.

Windsor Star

http://www.nationalpost.com/Former+NHLer+Probert+dies+report/3238238/story.html

WINDSOR, Ont. — Former NHL forward Bob Probert died Monday, after collapsing in a boat on Lake St. Clair near Windsor.

The death was confirmed in Windsor late Monday afternoon by OPP spokeswoman Shawna Coulter.

Emergency crews performed CPR on the former Detroit Red Wings player on shore and transported the 45-year-old to Windsor Regional Hospital.

Probert, who was born in Windsor, played 16 seasons in the NHL. He played for the Red Wings for nine seasons and the Chicago Blackhawks for seven others.

The bruising left-winger scored 163 career NHL goals and set up 221 others for a regular-season total of 384 points, but was best noted for his pugilistic skills. Probert amassed 3,300 penalty minutes in 935 career games, ranking sixth on the all-time penalty minutes leaders’ list.

He was drafted 46th overall in the 1983 NHL entry draft from the Ontario Hockey League’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and played his first game with the Red Wings in the 1985-86 season. He retired following the 2001-2002 season.

Probert was suspended indefinitely after he was arrested for attempting to smuggle cocaine across the Canada-U.S. border in March, 1989. He was welcomed back into the league but barred from travelling with Red Wings for road games in Canada during the 1990-91 and 1991-92 seasons as he appealed a ruling that would have seen him deported from the United States if he left and re-entered the country. He was granted permission to play in Canada on Dec. 7, 1992.

Last fall, he appeared on the CBC series Battle of the Blades. He and partner Kristina Lenko were eliminated in the first week of the program.

The Probert family has called a 6 p.m. news conference at Windsor Regional Hospital to issue a statement.

Windsor Star

http://www.nationalpost.com/Former+NHLer+Probert+dies+report/3238238/story.html

RIP Probie #24

The bruising left-winger scored 163 career NHL goals and set up 221 others for a regular-season total of 384 points, but was best noted for his pugilistic skills. Probert amassed 3,300 penalty minutes in 935 career games, ranking sixth on the all-time penalty minutes leaders' list.

He was drafted 46th overall in the 1983 NHL entry draft from the Ontario Hockey League's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and played his first game with the Red Wings in the 1985-86 season. He retired following the 2001-2002 season.

Windsor Star

http://www.nationalp...8238/story.html

Ahh Man, this is terrible news ...sad.gif

wtf.gif The Sabres signed Neidermeyer from the Devils. But the bad news is they signed Lalime as the backup goalie again. Miller won out on this one. Maybe there is nobody better available? They certainly arent going to open their wallets for a backup to Miller.

If your Sabers re-signed Lalime then they still need a backup goalie B) . He was washed up with Ottawa years ago.

If your Sabers re-signed Lalime then they still need a backup goalie cool.gif . He was washed up with Ottawa years ago.

He is a friend of Miller and that is what saved his job. But he has played well in spot situations including a 3-1 win over Chicago in the teams only meeting. He won't really matter in the grand scheme of things as we will ride Miller until he is ready to drop.

I cant believe Nabokov is going to play in Russia. Surprised that he was not pursued more aggresively by some teams that could have used him. Like Philly perhaps. I guess they are going to roll the dice with what they have and dont think it will matter. And the Capitals must be confident they can win with either Theodore or the kid from Hershey? I am glas we have Miller.

Well I am being called lots of names on the Buffalo message boards about the recent moves by the Sabres that I have commmented on so I know someone is listening. ohmy.gif Those that are calling for the coach's hide are just plain idiots.

You have one of the best coaches in the league period. The sabres would take a step back if the were to make the mistake of firing Ruff.

You have one of the best coaches in the league period. The sabres would take a step back if the were to make the mistake of firing Ruff.

I totally agree with your sentiments and the Sabres brass will not make such a stupid mistake. He is the longest tenured coach in the NHL and I expect that soon he will finally get his reward as Quenville finally did. He is excited he says about youth and the way Buffalo has raised their own talent for the most part. But I wonder if he is totally happy with ownership? Many here believe the owner has one eye on the team and I believe its more like a glimpse here and there. Quinn is the guy that deseves the heat from many unhappy fans. I can't complain about a 100 point season that included a division title and the knowledge that a key injury was the main reason for us getting knocked out too soon. I know they can go forward and build off this. Ruff can coach this team forever as far as I am concerned. As for Darcy Regier? The jury is still out. I think he has done a good job, but is it good enough? Will it be good enough? Only time will tell, but for now, I have far more confidence in this team than the one that you see in my personal photo. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Kovalchuk signed a 17-year, $102M contract with the Devils??? Whatever happened to Lou being a spendthrift? This contract makes the annual numbers reasonable, but the term makes him difficult to trade, which they will want to by his third year, I predict. He's a whiny player who hasn't proven much in the NHL beyond being able to score, and try to even the score with Ovy. I think the Kings lucked out with not signing him.

Kovalchuk signed a 17-year, $102M contract with the Devils??? Whatever happened to Lou being a spendthrift? This contract makes the annual numbers reasonable, but the term makes him difficult to trade, which they will want to by his third year, I predict. He's a whiny player who hasn't proven much in the NHL beyond being able to score, and try to even the score with Ovy. I think the Kings lucked out with not signing him.

This is shocking. I thought the Devils were not going to sign him? Look at all the empty seats in that building every game. I dont get how they can afford it? I still say this is going to be a long year for them. Like your Leafs chances of making the playoffs for the first time in a while. I believe between the Devils and Montreal, one of them at least will be out. Kovachuk is a pure sniper, one way player. I just cant imagine the Devils with his type. It did not work at the end of last season so why would it work now?

Over the long term I'd have to agree with you Pat. However, the Kings are not that far away from being a bonified cup contender and I was worried that if they signed Kovalchuk, he may have been the missing piece of the puzzle for them. Glad he stayed in the east

This move by the Devils is a slap in the face to all small market teams, but it will come back to haunt them with thsi one way stingy player that does not know the meaning of back check. Some are saying they did it to sell tickets, in a place where they have had trouble selling out games. At some point when the next trip to the table comes around in 2012 there has to be some big changes and some laws laid down by this commisioner who may be the worst in professional sports. Everyone should cheer against the Devils this year. And what they represent.cool.gif

This move by the Devils is a slap in the face to all small market teams, but it will come back to haunt them with thsi one way stingy player that does not know the meaning of back check. Some are saying they did it to sell tickets, in a place where they have had trouble selling out games. At some point when the next trip to the table comes around in 2012 there has to be some big changes and some laws laid down by this commisioner who may be the worst in professional sports. Everyone should cheer against the Devils this year. And what they represent.cool.gif

In fairness to the Devils, they are not the only club who have signed players to one of those sneaky long term deals. The Canucks signed Luongo to a 12yr deal last summer. I'm guessing that the GM's in this league are confident that there will be rule changes in 2012 and that they'll be able to either A: get out of those deals or B: leave the problem for their replacements to fix wink.gif

This is shocking. I thought the Devils were not going to sign him? Look at all the empty seats in that building every game. I dont get how they can afford it? I still say this is going to be a long year for them. Like your Leafs chances of making the playoffs for the first time in a while. I believe between the Devils and Montreal, one of them at least will be out. Kovachuk is a pure sniper, one way player. I just cant imagine the Devils with his type. It did not work at the end of last season so why would it work now?

Without knowing how the deal is structured, the average annual salary of $6M seems like a steal for someone with his offensive talents, even though he is one dimensional, like you say. But by year 17, when the guy's well into his 40s and the physical attributes that allow him to be a sniper - hand and foot speed, strength, ability to turn on a pin - will have long left him, making his contract an albatross. It'll put asses in seats, but once the fans catch on to his petulance, they will boo him out of town. These aren't Atlanta fans who are grateful just to have a great player to watch and are willing to put up with all his defensive deficiencies and whims. It's a short-term investment. Big gamble for big rewards. They have a balanced enough team to offset his lackadaisical D and need his scoring badly.

Over the long term I'd have to agree with you Pat. However, the Kings are not that far away from being a bonified cup contender and I was worried that if they signed Kovalchuk, he may have been the missing piece of the puzzle for them. Glad he stayed in the east

Exactly. He could have been the piece that brought them over the top (hence the temptation to sign him) and they have the balance to offset his lack of D effort like Jersey, but had they signed him to that ridiculous contract, they'd have the same problem that Chicago is already having with cap restrictions and subsequent dumping of key role players (and even emerging ones like Byfuglien) to keep the 'core' in tact; it is a risky one-and-done. I think the Kings didn't want to be in that situation in a couple of years for the sake of having Kovalchuk, who would be very difficult to move.

Without knowing how the deal is structured, the average annual salary of $6M seems like a steal for someone with his offensive talents, even though he is one dimensional, like you say. But by year 17, when the guy's well into his 40s and the physical attributes that allow him to be a sniper - hand and foot speed, strength, ability to turn on a pin - will have long left him, making his contract an albatross. It'll put asses in seats, but once the fans catch on to his petulance, they will boo him out of town. These aren't Atlanta fans who are grateful just to have a great player to watch and are willing to put up with all his defensive deficiencies and whims. It's a short-term investment. Big gamble for big rewards. They have a balanced enough team to offset his lackadaisical D and need his scoring badly.

And these are not Leafs fans either Patricia that will come to games regardless of the record. These fair weather fans won't show up now and they were the second seed in the East!!! Down go the New Jersey Devils!!!! Down down down!!!!!!

Now the word is the deal is being shot down by the NHL!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/13656736/nhl-rejects-kovalchuks-17year-deal-with-devils?tag=globalNav.nhl;headlines

And these are not Leafs fans either Patricia that will come to games regardless of the record. These fair weather fans won't show up now and they were the second seed in the East!!! Down go the New Jersey Devils!!!! Down down down!!!!!!

Now the word is the deal is being shot down by the NHL!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/13656736/nhl-rejects-kovalchuks-17year-deal-with-devils?tag=globalNav.nhl;headlines

Leafs fans are homers (we're winning it all this year!!!) but we're certainly loyal. Since '67 we've had to say maybe next year but the fan base is strong, like yours as well. Buffalo's a small market but makes up for it with passionate supporters.

The watering down of talent and creation of fair weather fandom is another reason I'm not exactly a fan of Bettman. He insists on putting teams in places that, with all due respect, are poor hockey markets (not sports markets in general) such as Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, and even Cup winners Tampa Bay. All have trouble with getting fans to come to games, whereas there are markets desperate for a team north of the border with built in fan bases. Not that this is a Canada-U.S. thing at all, just about putting the teams in places where they have a chance to flourish and not forcing it. I don't get it. Hockey in Phoenix is as good as a snowball in hell.

As for the deal, yeah Jersey tried to circumvent the cap. Seventeen years is ridiculous, he just wanted the amount. I don't get, though, why this deal is not acceptable but other deals that successfully got around cap issues such as those of Isles' DiPietro were allowed. Perhaps this one was so blatant in its terms (and, therefore, intent) that Bettman tried to save face? On the other hand, I don't get why Jersey didn't just give him a twelve-year contract for the same dollar amount. Maybe it would have been too big a cap hit in the end - $6M vs. $8.5M? Kovalchuk got greedy and it bit him back. He also wanted a better contract one way or another than that of Ovy's thirteen year contract. Kovalchuk's just not worth all that trouble.

Archived