Musical artists of whom you bought every album

roblindblad

I completed my Beatles and Grateful Dead collections in one fell swoop by investing in these very excellent box sets though I'm sure I'll be repurchasing the Beatles' entire collection once remastered editions of the albums are available.

235816.jpg

9b496d10-c8fb-4017-9404-038d2e97990a.jpg41TB2W4R6ZL._AA240_.jpg

I would eventuallly like to own the complete collections of Dylan, the Stones and Neil Young. The two box sets below would go a long towards completing my Dylan and Stones collections. Neil has no such box set but his Archives series should be kicking off pretty soon (I hope).

Dylan_box.jpg28_7.JPG

Honesty.....there are many bands I have some, most or nearly all the releases. But I don't buy all the compilations of these bands. Sometimes I buy one, if there's significant sound improvement or bonus tracks etc....

I have all the Beatle regular releases, Anthologies etc...but not the various mulititude of compilations. I do have '1' and Love...and maybe another couple....but not the red and blue compilation, Love Songs, RocknRoll....on and on. I already have all that stuff.

As for Zep...No, I LOVE the band...I love the early material, but don't particularly like ITTOD, hence I don't have it. Almost complete..but not quite.

Some bands I have all the releases from a particular time period...like the Mick Taylor Stones period...and MOST of the Brian Jones period...but NONE of the Ron Wood period.

I have all the Zappa up thru the mid to late 70s..but then his music didn't appeal to me as much in the 80s....but I just about consider myself a Zappa completist...but not quite...

I do have some bands I have ALL the releases though....but it's too numerous to list...

I like that there's a fair bit of variety here outside of the usual suspects (LZ, PF, Beatles, Stones). I mean, if you ask someone, "What kind of music are you into?" and they say, "Led Zeppelin" then you're no closer to knowing the answer. Some Zep fans are into country music, some into folk music, some into indie, britpop, punk, prog, world music etc etc. Led Zeppelin are routinely pigeonholed as hard rock, but they were original and varied enough to fit in with pretty much any taste in music. A rare thing.

some bands put out albums later on, just to make a buck.(it's ok to make money), but the music is not up to their old standards, like the stones, the who, deep purple, and others. so , only zep and the beatles have each put out a series of work worth buying everything. just my opinion.

Not counting singles or EPs (though I have many from these artists):

Radiohead

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

My Bloody Valentine

Joy Division

The Doors

Television

The Velvet Underground

Sigur Ros

...though many of those only have 2 or 3 albums total, so it's not like it was on any special effort of mine.

some bands put out albums later on, just to make a buck.(it's ok to make money), but the music is not up to their old standards, like the stones, the who, deep purple, and others. so , only zep and the beatles have each put out a series of work worth buying everything. just my opinion.

To have that opinion you would've had to have heard everything by every artist ever. :)

To have that opinion you would've had to have heard everything by every artist ever. :)

no i have'nt heard"every" album,(i said it was just my opinion, not a fact) what are you twelve? but i've heard alot, i don't clam to be an expert all. but i can't name a band that , for me, put out either ,more than 10 solid albums, or 10 good years as a group. (the who, for some reason, being the excetion). even zep, as much as i love "in through the out door", to me was not even close to the older stuff. the stones, rush, 80's +90's who, aerosmith, others, not worth getting.... sorry to affend you.

no i have'nt heard"every" album,(i said it was just my opinion, not a fact) what are you twelve? but i've heard alot, i don't clam to be an expert all. but i can't name a band that , for me, put out either ,more than 10 solid albums, or 10 good years as a group. (the who, for some reason, being the excetion). even zep, as much as i love "in through the out door", to me was not even close to the older stuff. the stones, rush, 80's +90's who, aerosmith, others, not worth getting.... sorry to affend you.

I wasn't being serious, hence the :)

I'm 36.

Should I be embarrassed that I have the whole Chili Peppers discography? Yeah, I thought so. I don't care. I love Flea.

I also have all of John Mayer's and almost all of Hendrix's. I'm a poor college student. Give me time.

By the way, has anyone ever attempted to collect all of Frank Zappa's albums? Pretty sure I'm never gonna get there. If he hadn't died, he probably would have had another 25 by now.

• 9 years later...

Archived