missing song

sonnybunny

Hey can anybody help me? I heard this song Hey Hey what can I do... or something it was awesome I'm sure it was Led Zeppelin but I just went through their whole archives and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know of this song and on what it was released? Thanks

just like all those who pass around bootlegs

Bootlegs are different - it's not like they ever had trouble selling out venues because people thought "I will just wait for the bootleg". And if there is no intention of releasing an official version of a show, what harm is there in bootlegging it? No monetary loss by the band therefore nothing wrong with it.

just like all those who pass around bootlegs

Trading bootlegs of live shows that were never offered for sale, officially or otherwise, is different from selling illegal copies of commercially-produced music, thus taking money away from the artists, in my view--but I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding this, so that's just my 2 cents.

Bootlegs are different - it's not like they ever had trouble selling out venues because people thought "I will just wait for the bootleg". And if there is no intention of releasing an official version of a show, what harm is there in bootlegging it? No monetary loss by the band therefore nothing wrong with it.

I understand what you're saying, and you're right. I just really don't see the difference between downloading from a free and legal website, and having a friend burn a cd for me of the same material. Either way, the artist isn't making money from it, except from the person who bought the material originally.

I understand what you're saying, and you're right. I just really don't see the difference between downloading from a free and legal website, and having a friend burn a cd for me of the same material. Either way, the artist isn't making money from it, except from the person who bought the material originally.

Downloading the music from Limewire - while the software itself is free and legal - is illegal. So is having your friend burn you a copy. When you buy a CD, you are buying a single lifetime license - you may keep the CD for as long as you like, or on-sell that CD, but you cannot make copies of it legally.

Downloading the music from Limewire - while the software itself is free and legal - is illegal. So is having your friend burn you a copy. When you buy a CD, you are buying a single lifetime license - you may keep the CD for as long as you like, or on-sell that CD, but you cannot make copies of it legally.

I can see this becoming a heated debate. How about we agree that we have different viewpoints and leave it at that.

peace

:beer:

All I would say it - put yourself in their position. You spend 10 years learning to play the guitar or the drums or to sing. You spend months putting together a band, you bust yourself on endless tours of the US, away from family and friends. You get into a studio and write/record some songs, spend a lot of time and energy on putting it together. That music is released to a mostly grateful audience, who pay their hard earned money for the privilege (not the right) of listening to the music you have created.

What makes you, or anyone, think that they are entitled to own and enjoy the work of others, without paying for it? Would you walk into a painter's studio, grab a canvas and walk out without paying, then put it up on the wall and enjoy it? Of course not - so what's different about music?

The argument could be "they already have enough money, why does it matter." There are retailers and distributors who also make money off the sale, and they employ thousands of people, so you are hurting them. The band themselves, I suppose doesn't need the money. But if you start thinking that way, the whole system falls apart. At what threshold, exactly, is it decided that you shouldn't have to pay for an artist's work? $1mil? $10mil? It's unworkable.

In the same way that you and I expect, rightly, to be compensated for our work, so do artists, and their so called 'fans' should respect them enough to pay a little money for the privilege of listening to the work.

</rant>

All I would say it - put yourself in their position. You spend 10 years learning to play the guitar or the drums or to sing. You spend months putting together a band, you bust yourself on endless tours of the US, away from family and friends. You get into a studio and write/record some songs, spend a lot of time and energy on putting it together. That music is released to a mostly grateful audience, who pay their hard earned money for the privilege (not the right) of listening to the music you have created.

What makes you, or anyone, think that they are entitled to own and enjoy the work of others, without paying for it? Would you walk into a painter's studio, grab a canvas and walk out without paying, then put it up on the wall and enjoy it? Of course not - so what's different about music?

The argument could be "they already have enough money, why does it matter." There are retailers and distributors who also make money off the sale, and they employ thousands of people, so you are hurting them. The band themselves, I suppose doesn't need the money. But if you start thinking that way, the whole system falls apart. At what threshold, exactly, is it decided that you shouldn't have to pay for an artist's work? $1mil? $10mil? It's unworkable.

In the same way that you and I expect, rightly, to be compensated for our work, so do artists, and their so called 'fans' should respect them enough to pay a little money for the privilege of listening to the work.

</rant>

I really hope this is a general rant.

I don't see a problem with downloading songs for free from artists/bands so long as you buy the album the song is from when you can. And I've learned recently that you shouldn't call live recordings bootlegs when they're shared for free--it isn't right...literally.

I don't see a problem with downloading songs for free from artists/bands so long as you buy the album the song is from when you can. And I've learned recently that you shouldn't call live recordings bootlegs when they're shared for free--it isn't right...literally.

Good point.

I've never heard that. What would a bootleg be? I thought they would be illegal in general, since you're recording/taping without permission.

Hey can anybody help me? I heard this song Hey Hey what can I do... or something it was awesome I'm sure it was Led Zeppelin but I just went through their whole archives and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know of this song and on what it was released? Thanks

It's the B-side of the immigrant song single.

Good point.

I've never heard that. What would a bootleg be? I thought they would be illegal in general, since you're recording/taping without permission.

Hmm...I don't know, I guess bootlegs works for illegally recorded live material. Some bands do permit people recording their shows though, and when shared for free those can't be called bootlegs.

I can't believe people are sayin there is a difference between stealing studio stuff and boots. Zeppelin was always WAY against bootleggers. And most of the soundboard boots were physically stolen from Page's house, so I don't see how there can be a difference.

I wish the bastard that stole boots woulda got busted, somehow, or not done it so we could have archival releases like the Dead and Neil Young do.

Having said all that, illegal boots is better than no boots, so..........

For the record regarding boots trades. Jimmy himself said he has no problem with trading of Zeppelin shows, so long as it's not packaged up and presented as official material. It's the deception that offends him. Point is, exchanging a copy of a boot doesn't imply the band's endorsement or the time and effort that goes into giving the fans a properly produced product. You know when you get a boot that it was recorded by some guy like Millard (god bless 'em) with a tiny mic concealed with a tiny tape device. It's the stuff with packaging and (more importantly) a pricetag that pisses him off, and rightly so.

As for downloading "officially released" product, that's piracy, plain and simple. It's not the same as in the past, where a friend could run off a copy of a record onto a cassette and give it to a buddy. The scale here is enormous! I'd be mad as hell if 100000 people got what I invested millions into producing without compensation. Don't get me wrong. If bands want to offer free downloads to promote their product, more power to them. But don't be stealing my blood, sweat, tears and kid's college tuition. I know you can say "oh, but Zeppelin are gazillionaires! They don't need the money!" Blah blah blah. To me it's like saying any punk can sleep with your daughter just because she's been around. "What's one more in the big picture?". Believe me, I'll still kick your ass.

Archived