Page/Crowes shows

kirchzep27

Anyone wanna chime in on the -jimmy page/black crowes shows? I saw 2 of the 3 shows at -roseland, nyc, in 99 and they were great!!! I can't quite describe how it was seeing this great band play -led zep songs w/jimmy, but it was a great live show as the cds represent. The thing is, as with any live show, the songs were just moments of enjoyment and time sort of flew by, or slowed down...very weird, but thats how alot of live music can be. They were full out rock shows, not one moment of down time, just song after song of great -led zep and then some cover material.

I could not get tickets to the -jones beach theater show in 00, yet heard -in the light from outside the venue and that was actually very cool to hear at a distance.

Anyone wanna chime in on the -jimmy page/black crowes shows? I saw 2 of the 3 shows at -roseland, nyc, in 99 and they were great!!! I can't quite describe how it was seeing this great band play -led zep songs w/jimmy, but it was a great live show as the cds represent. The thing is, as with any live show, the songs were just moments of enjoyment and time sort of flew by, or slowed down...very weird, but thats how alot of live music can be. They were full out rock shows, not one moment of down time, just song after song of great -led zep and then some cover material.

I could not get tickets to the -jones beach theater show in 00, yet heard -in the light from outside the venue and that was actually very cool to hear at a distance.

Ev's your man for this one!

Didn't get to see them myself, but very impressed by the CDs, especially the way the Crowes (especially Chris Robinson) managed not to do a Zep impression--showed how well the songs stand up, whoever is playing them, though of course the more of the originators of the songs can participate, the better!

I didn't see them at the time either, but they sounded great on the CD. Chris Robinson never sounded better on record (although that may be because he sounds better live?).

I didn't see them at the time either, but they sounded great on the CD. Chris Robinson never sounded better on record (although that may be because he sounds better live?).

It was some great singing and he really kept up with the intense material like -in my time of dying,nobody's fault and the lemon song. I really like the blues influence of those shows and having the three guitars sounded huge, -page had an actual live guitar army.

I saw two of the three nights at Roseland, then the following summer I saw both shows in NJ and the Jones Beach show. Roseland was raw and exciting, most people had a hard time believing they were seeing Jimmy Page in such a small venue. However, I have to say that his playing was much better the following summer, not that there was anything wrong with it at Roseland.

There were some blues tunes and Crowes tunes they jammed on at Roseland that you could tell the Crowes have been playing for years. Rich Robinson and Audley Freed were really comfortable soloing over them where sometimes you could tell Jimmy was "feeling his way". But the following summer I had the impression that Jimmy went home, realized he was playing with some real players, and did some homework. Because in those shows Jimmy took over the stage (in a good way) and it was the best live soloing I've ever seen/heard out of him in person, even including the '98 Page/Plant shows.

By the way, Middlezep mentioned "In the Light" from Jones Beach, which was unbelievable. There's an easy to find Japanese import of Live at the Greek that includes two bonus tracks from Jones Beach: "In the Light" and "Misty Mountain Hop". I highly recommend it!

Saw them at Roseland. Great night!

Jimmy played WLL on the Danelectro, which I thought was odd.(And kind of missed the solo which is sort of typical)

I remember when they played the intro to 'Shapes of Things' I thought it was gonna be 'Out On the Tiles'. Great number. Then they ended up doing OOTT anyway! Very cool.

Here's a bit from an old post of mine on the old board.

I saw the last show at Roseland, I don't remember the day of the week.

I listened at the stage door during sound check. They went over that part in Heartbreaker at least 5 or 6 times. (From when the band comes in to when the vocals come in.) It was very cool. Every time the door swung open, you could see Jimmy leading the band. It was like 3 in the afternoon and there were only about 8 or so people hanging out, listening. I'm standing there freaking out that I'm going to see these guys tonight and there is Jimmy Page, rehearsing 15 feet away from me!What a great night. Roseland is all standing room, so when the doors opened, I just walked right up to the stage and saw about half the show from the front row. Then I had to pee, so I lost my spot when I went to the john.

The downside was that I had all my 420 confiscated at the door.

Another cool thing was that the band was rehearsing two blocks from my house about a week before the gigs!

I live on the 34th floor, so I could actually hear the rehearsals from my balcony. It was a great time!

I remember them doing TYG alot.

No doubt the Live At The Greek is a great CD. As someone mentioned earlier, it is refreshing to hear how Chris Robinson sang Zeppelin in his own way, with his own unique voice.

While I currently have disc 1 (because of killer verions of Celebration Day and Custard Pie) in my car, I sometimes can't help but think I'm just listening to some random band covering Zeppelin.

With 3 guitars, it's sometimes hard to tell when Page is playing (at least for me!). What's missing is the realization that you are listening to geniuses playing, as opposed to great musicians copying what geniuses (Led Zeppelin) wrote and recorded.

With 3 guitars, it's sometimes hard to tell when Page is playing (at least for me!). What's missing is the realization that you are listening to geniuses playing, as opposed to great musicians copying what geniuses (Led Zeppelin) wrote and recorded.

Yeah there's a lot going on and it is hard to tell who's doing what sometimes.

but they made it sound good in the end I think

Yep, I saw them in June 2000 (I think) at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Jimmy was on fire in that tour, he played better than on the Page/Plant tours. In fact, around that time, I heard an interview with Robert Plant on a local radio station, and they asked him about the fact that Jimmy was playing well on the Page/Crowes tour, and Robert said "yeah, he is, I wish he'd have played that well when I was touring with him!!"

I saw their third show in Worcester Mass before their was an album or talks of a tour. If was fucking magic! They opened with "Celebration Day" and I have never heard a crowd go crazy like that except for when I saw Page/Plant in 94 (or was it 95?) at the Boston Garden.

It was the best I have heard Jimmy Page play WAY, WAY better than Page/Plant tours I saw. He was a mess at those shows but killed at this one. I'll never forget "Ten Years Gone" with all those guitar harmonies and weird Ed on keys. It was heaven.

Also FWIW I don't think there is another drummer alive who gets the Zeppelin catalog as well as Steve Gorman. What a pocket! It was exactly what I needed to erase the horror of Michael Lee and Charlie Jones (they sucked hard but Porl Thompson redeemed them and Jimmy Page with his transcendent excellence)

• 9 months later...

I thought the shows were pretty fresh.

I've got a question though - Did they just play Zeppelin tunes? Because thats all I've heard... did they play any Black Crowes tunes?

Shit... I'm not so sure I even know any Crowes songs...

Sucks for them I guess.

I thought the shows were pretty fresh.

I've got a question though - Did they just play Zeppelin tunes? Because thats all I've heard... did they play any Black Crowes tunes?

Shit... I'm not so sure I even know any Crowes songs...

Sucks for them I guess.

They played "No Speak No Slave", "Remedy", "Wiser Time", "She Talks to Angels", and "Horsehead". Maybe there were others, I can't remember. They also did random blues tunes and a great cover of the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac classic, "Oh Well".

I think there were contractual issues keeping them from including the Crowes tunes on the CD...

They played a mix of mostly Zeppelin tunes. But threw in some old blues classics like Sloppy Drunk, Oh Well, and a few others. They also threw in some Crowes stuff. They played some rare Zeppelin stuff too. Things that really weren't played live like Hots On For Nowhere and In the Light and Wanton Song.

I've got a lot of boots and they sounded pretty good. Jimmy seemed to be in good form.

they did a kick ass jeff beck-style version of "shapes of things", page seemed to love playing that song. i saw the roseland 14th show and the boston show, then 3 shows from the excess all areas tour. they were all excellent and our boy played his ass off. my favorites were 'the lemon song' and 'ten years gone'. my only regret is a cool t-shirt i didn't buy-a huge cartoon crow wearing a zoso shirt and playing a doubleneck. i could kick myself....

My wife and I were fortunate enough to catch three of Jimmy's shows with the Crowes (Worcester, Mansfield, and Camden). Each of those shows were among the top ten of the 75 or so concerts I've seen. I also saw Jimmy seven times with Robert. The shows with the Crowes were more flat out rock shows, while there were more slow parts during the shows with Robert. I liked both versions quite a bit, but wish the tour with the Crowes had continued on longer, as I would have loved to catch more of those shows.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the ticket stubs for the ten shows I've seen Jimmy play.

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=tyLp12...o1OQSe1aA%3D%3D

They did a particularly good rendition of "In the Light." Fantastic vocal harmonies from the brothers Robinson...

I heard that from outside the open air, -jones beach theatre, couldnt get a ticket to that new york area show. But thats what i thought too about in -in the light and that was from a distance.

The -roseland 99 shows that i saw was the same setlist from the cd that was released. very few -black crrowes songs from what i remember, maybe two.

Those shows certainly were cool at that particular time. Plus there was -john paul jones with the zooma album and tour. Who knew we wouldnt hear or see -jimmy page for so long after that though. I was sort of expecting a possible project with -page and the crowes.. On -the black crowes, -lions record, there is some page inspired guitar.

What a fantastic thread and I thank all those who've shed some light on such a killer time in JP's playing.

I can only go by what I have watched on video , 6 six shows and counting and many of them the exact cities being mentioned here.

You're one lucky lot -- all of you !!!

I had some troubles that year and had to stay close to home so was unable to make the trips south and see some shows.

From video I conclude::

JP was in probably the best form possible.

CR sounded alive, fresh and exciting.

The remainder of the band contributed to a full on , Zepp extravaganza. They had the passion.

With the addition of the actual guitar parts to many of the songs, it was a thick wall of sound that hasn't been featured in any other live performances. Hats off to that.

For many " purist's " , and I've seen this discussed on many boards , people say they weren't too keen on the vocals . For my money, it had the juice baby. Chris laid it all out on the table and put on a singing display. Complete with a coolness on stage that only a real qualified front man could.

I still watch these shows on a regular basis . Just wish I saw them in person. Boo hoo hoo .

Keep up the stories here , it's great.

What a fantastic thread and I thank all those who've shed some light on such a killer time in JP's playing.

For many " purist's " , and I've seen this discussed on many boards , people say they weren't too keen on the vocals . For my money, it had the juice baby. Chris laid it all out on the table and put on a singing display. Complete with a coolness on stage that only a real qualified front man could.

I still watch these shows on a regular basis . Just wish I saw them in person. Boo hoo hoo .

Keep up the stories here , it's great.

i would venture that chris robinson elected to tackle the zep setlist with a vocal stance that allowed him to treat plant as an r&b or blues great, this came across in many of his vocalizations. he knew he couldn't try and sing note for note so he went for the flavor of singing 'classics' instead. i gave him high marks for the respect he showed robert doing this and the respect the whole band showed page onstage.

wish you coulda been there....

I saw the second show at the Greek and it was fantastic. Jimmy was very solid, with the third show rumored to be the best of the three. The Crowes musically, are a very good band IMO. To hear Chris sing Zeppelin songs in his "Southern" style, was very refreshing.

Jimmy played a supporting role on the Crowes songs like Remedy and seemed to enjoy it. They also played a fantastic version of Your Time Is Gonna' Come, with Eddie Harsch doing a brilliant job on the keys. Zeppelin never performed this song live to my knowledge, and to hear Jimmy and friends lay into it was a highlight for me. A very special night indeed!! :thanku:

What's missing is the realization that you are listening to geniuses playing, as opposed to great musicians copying what geniuses (Led Zeppelin) wrote and recorded.

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

Even when you listen to a live recording of Zeppelin, you are not listening to them writing the song, you are listening to musicians recreating the song live. At that moment it doesn't matter if they recorded it or not, or wrote it or not.

Zep had plenty of moments of genius, both live & in the studio, but so do the Crowes. So what?

With live music what matters most is the performance, not who wrote the song. And IMHO the performances Jimmy did with the Crowes were great (those that I've heard/seen). And let's face it, there are some Zep performances that, original recording artists or not, I'd rather not listen to again because they just weren't on that night.

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

Even when you listen to a live recording of Zeppelin, you are not listening to them writing the song, you are listening to musicians recreating the song live. At that moment it doesn't matter if they recorded it or not, or wrote it or not.

Zep had plenty of moments of genius, both live & in the studio, but so do the Crowes. So what?

With live music what matters most is the performance, not who wrote the song. And IMHO the performances Jimmy did with the Crowes were great (those that I've heard/seen). And let's face it, there are some Zep performances that, original recording artists or not, I'd rather not listen to again because they just weren't on that night.

excellent post.

I saw the second show at the Greek and it was fantastic. Jimmy was very solid, with the third show rumored to be the best of the three. The Crowes musically, are a very good band IMO. To hear Chris sing Zeppelin songs in his "Southern" style, was very refreshing.

Jimmy played a supporting role on the Crowes songs like Remedy and seemed to enjoy it. They also played a fantastic version of Your Time Is Gonna' Come, with Eddie Harsch doing a brilliant job on the keys. Zeppelin never performed this song live to my knowledge, and to hear Jimmy and friends lay into it was a highlight for me. A very special night indeed!! :thanku:

I believe they palyed YTIGC in a medley in Japan of 71.

Archived