Page/Crowes shows

kirchzep27

Fantastic music. The best of the late 90's. Jimmy is GOD.

Are you schizophrenic by any chance? Because a couple of days ago your contribution to the Jimmy in Tornto thread was quite spectacularly moronic:-

I have bee reading what you wankers have been saying for months. #$%& you AND Led Zeppelin. If there was a concern for what you think there would be something more from these aged has-been mother ^&*%ers.

What do you think of that? PISS OFF!

they did a kick ass jeff beck-style version of "shapes of things", page seemed to love playing that song. i saw the roseland 14th show and the boston show, then 3 shows from the excess all areas tour. they were all excellent and our boy played his ass off. my favorites were 'the lemon song' and 'ten years gone'. my only regret is a cool t-shirt i didn't buy-a huge cartoon crow wearing a zoso shirt and playing a doubleneck. i could kick myself....

I have that shirt (not to rub it in)! :D

i would venture that chris robinson elected to tackle the zep setlist with a vocal stance that allowed him to treat plant as an r&b or blues great, this came across in many of his vocalizations. he knew he couldn't try and sing note for note so he went for the flavor of singing 'classics' instead. i gave him high marks for the respect he showed robert doing this and the respect the whole band showed page onstage.

wish you coulda been there....

I agree on the vocals, robinson definately put alot into those songs. plant can sing like that as well, but not that much now a days. the whole playing around and with jimmy page was very well done, thought the cd caught that well too, but it definately was something to hear that live!

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more respect shown for the man who had the most difficult shoes to fill: Crowes' drummer Steve Gorman.

His playing is one of the things I enjoy the most about this set of shows. He played close enough to Bonzo's parts without actually trying to be Bonzo, if you see what I mean.

As with Jason at the O2 gig (& Michael Lee with P&P) he must have felt that drummers/zep fans all over the world were just waiting for him to screw up so they could take a pop at him. The fact that he did it at all, and did it so well, says a lot for him.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more respect shown for the man who had the most difficult shoes to fill: Crowes' drummer Steve Gorman.

His playing is one of the things I enjoy the most about this set of shows. He played close enough to Bonzo's parts without actually trying to be Bonzo, if you see what I mean.

As with Jason at the O2 gig (& Michael Lee with P&P) he must have felt that drummers/zep fans all over the world were just waiting for him to screw up so they could take a pop at him. The fact that he did it at all, and did it so well, says a lot for him.

I have to concur , and once again only from a video viewer's perspective. Didn't see them live.

Besides Chris's stand-out performances , watching Gorman play Bonham beats and fills within his own style was something to see.

Just his physical antics alone were strange to watch with his style of arm movement , and yet every cymbol smash and chop was dead on.

Steve doesn't use the same dynamic's as JHB , but who has or ever will.

A very real and honest tribute to John.

I still remember seeing the Black Crowes for my first time when they opened for Plant on the 1990 tour here in Toronto and they were relatively newcomers then to the rock n roll scene.

I recall keeping my eye on Gorman and thinking how Bonhamesque he played.

And he wore a bowler hat that night too. It was his rythm and beats that grabbed my attention.

When I found out that JP was working with them it was really exciting .

The outcome was fantastic.

A great chapter in the JP archives.

Do we know anymore about why that tour was cancelled ?

I remember it was something to do with JP having knee surgery .

As well, there was another story about Chris and JP eventually not seeing eye to eye .

Apparently Chris was hoping there would be more interaction while touring and more song writing. It's reported that JP kept to himself and was very private with his time while working with the Crowes. I know , more tidbits of unproveable gossip.

Does anyone know more ???

absolutely right!

gorman was the engine in the crowes zep-filled fantasy. live, gorman was loving it and responding to it as only a drummer can. jimmy responded to him with the ultimate page body language: locking his leg next to the drum kit and going for it.

i'm a big fan of steve gorman and glad to see he's back in the crowes...

Archived