Who didn't deserve to go?

Bottom line - all major concerts have VIPs in attendance. Period. Some of those VIPs will be fans, some will only be there for the photo ops and free champagne. And it wasn't any different in the 1970s, either.

I was surprised because people I'd considered dead certs to attend were nowhere to be seen. There were actually FEWER celebs in attendance than I'd anticipated.

It was said from the start that X number of tickets would be set aside for family and friends of the band, X amount for VIPs, X amount for corporate hospitality and the remainder for the ticket ballot. If they'd held the gig at the Albert Hall as originally proposed, this might have been an issue, but 20,000 fan tickets out of 23,000 isn't a bad deal at all. Even taking away the VIPs, the overwhelming majority of tickets still went to fans and you can't really argue with that.

And if they play more gigs in the future, the same will apply wherever they are.

Bottom line - all major concerts have VIPs in attendance. Period. Some of those VIPs will be fans, some will only be there for the photo ops and free champagne. And it wasn't any different in the 1970s, either.

I was surprised because people I'd considered dead certs to attend were nowhere to be seen. There were actually FEWER celebs in attendance than I'd anticipated.

Agreed! I was hoping to run into Johnny Depp or George Clooney :D:D:D

Though even if I had been sitting between then during that show I couldn't have torn my eyes away from the stage.

God yeah it would be a kick in the nuts to any Zeppelin fan to have them play in their back yard. And wow, to have seen Zeppelin twice in a year - what a fucking nightmare! They'd have every right to be mad!

:huh:

I said....for those who crossed oceans and spent upwards of $5000+ (some spent ALOT more than that when all was said and done) just to see a friggin concert :blink: ......one that was billed as once in a lifetime one off concert. Then to have them do a world tour afterwards.......yes, I'd be pissed. Zep are my favorite by far....but no band is worth spending that kind of loot on unless it's is in fact a once in a lifetime event.

Well, it cost me a fortune--not $5000, admittedly--to cross oceans, etc., and it wouldn't make me mad if they were to play again, whether I got the chance to see them or not. I didn't go to the O2 because of the "once in a lifetime" aspect (twice in a lifetime, in my case), but just because it was Zeppelin. And if I got the chance, I'd see them again, and not think--bugger, now it's three times in a lifetime! :lol:

I didn't get my ticket cheap ( not complaining though) and i wouldn't be disappointed if they toured. For fucks sake I would go where I could to see them. :blink:

I have travelled a bit to see JP, RP, P&P SS et al so seeing Zep would top those.

I spent more travelling to see SS in Boston a couple of years ago and again in Rome last year than I did seeing Zep at th 02 taking into acount travel etc so how could it possibly be a disappointment?

Agreed! I was hoping to run into Johnny Depp or George Clooney :D:D:D

Though even if I had been sitting between then during that show I couldn't have torn my eyes away from the stage.

I half-expected Elton John and hubby to be there, as those two would turn up to the opening of an envelope. :D

And yeah, Johnny Depp was another I thought might be there but wasn't. Now if I'd been sitting next to him ... *edited for seriously rude thoughts*

Didn't hear anything about Jack White being there either, and I'd have assumed he was a cert.

I said....for those who crossed oceans and spent upwards of $5000+ (some spent ALOT more than that when all was said and done) just to see a friggin concert :blink: ......one that was billed as once in a lifetime one off concert. Then to have them do a world tour afterwards.......yes, I'd be pissed. Zep are my favorite by far....but no band is worth spending that kind of loot on unless it's is in fact a once in a lifetime event.

Pissed? Not me....If I was fortunate to attend the O2 show and they toured in late 2008 or 2009, I would be first in line to get tickets again. Heck, I would travel within the US to see them live (preferably in my neck of the woods.) :)

I hope they do some more shows and I'll feel sorry for all those who travelled a long way to see them and had to spend a lot of money.

I can't believe how long this thread has become. :wacko::blink:

Why feel sorry? Traveling was by choice afterall. That said, I'm kind of glad Zep didn't announce a major world tour to start in early '08 the day after the O2 show. In that case, the whole one-off thing would have been a marketing ploy. Although it was awesome to see them in London, I could have waited a couple of months and saved a couple of thousand dollars to see them in NYC. Since the uncertainty about more shows prior to the O2 show seems genuine, I feel satisfied whether or not they come around my neck of the woods in late 2008 or 2009. If they do, I just hope I can get tickets again...*anxiety*...

Every time I see the title of this thread I think, what a bunch of crap. I appreciate some of the mature discussions that have been prompted by it, but what a bunch of crap. Pretty much everyone I know would say I deserved to go and wished I could. But lottery is what it is. You don't hear me bitching about it. Cheers to my friends who made the gig, and thanks for sharing the memories! And those who didn't go, myself included (Let's see, what's the tally now? Half the friggin Earth's population applied right? Or something ridiculous like that), maybe it's time to stop crying and put on the third album. Always worked for me! :beer:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...on-with-twiggy/

^^As far as Manson is concerned I think that says a lot. Just because of his chosen artistic direction a lot of people overlook him, but from interviews and everything else the guy is pretty bright. Granted, The Beautiful People is no Stairway, but I can see what he means. Hell, going to the Zepp reunion is going to wind up being a cause of some profound change for Manson and therefore his own fans.

There's almost always some sort of connection between a given artist I like and Zeppelin, and until now it was kind of difficult to find a match between them and Manson, but here it is :)

Roger Daltrey is a classy dude. Read what he said in a recent interview (posted today on Yahoo News):

Have you been out to see many of the bands who have reunited recently to go back out on tour?

A: "Not really. I think it's good it's happening and it is probably to do with the age that they are. I did want to see Led Zeppelin and I could get a ticket but I felt bad about going. I didn't think it was right that I should have that privilege and thought it would be morally wrong for me to join the celebrity bandwagon that went. Led Zep was incredibly generous and gave our charity four tickets which we auctioned."

No offense, but that sounds kind of selfish.

The entire intention of this thread was to dump out any existing frustration you had,obviously everyone's pretty cool about it,i just wanted to get rid of all bitterness so it didn't spread to any other threads,have a beer Ev! :beer:

Well, I can understand the whole 'Paris could see them and I couldn't'. Yes, but still. There are millions of people who wanted to go and couldn't, and one more empty seat wouldn't change it. So making a list of people who you think didn't deserve to be there is a bit silly. There are no written rules saying that have to be a fan to deserve to a attent a concert. The fact that you are a fan does not mean that you deserved to be there more than any of the VIPs (who CAN be fans too, you never know).

Look, I'm not saying that you have don't have a right to feel frustrated. But...'I can't stand that Kate Moss was there and I wasn't'? Isn't that a bit childish, nagging at others you don't even know because of your frustration? Kate would have every right to feel offended if she read it.

I half-expected Elton John and hubby to be there, as those two would turn up to the opening of an envelope. :D

And yeah, Johnny Depp was another I thought might be there but wasn't. Now if I'd been sitting next to him ... *edited for seriously rude thoughts*

Didn't hear anything about Jack White being there either, and I'd have assumed he was a cert.

Now if Johnny Depp had been there, I would have fainted!! Him in the same room as Zeppelin, I couldn't handle it!! I would't have known who to look at first! LOL :wub::D:)

First off, I totally deserved to go. :D (Sorry, that sounds so snotty.) Not to be concieted or anything but I think I did. I didn't get to go, but I'm okay with that. I'm a huge fan, and missed them the first time. I wasn't meant to go or I would've been there with everyone else.

Secondly, whose to say that all those people who didn't "deserve" to go, aren't fans now? Maybe even if it was just one person who went decided they like Zep. Isn't that worth it?

Archived