Pink Floyd Thread

eagle87

My honest opinion! Floyd were and are PF & Syd....a long forgotten psychedelic band that used to perform in the mist of light shows and "mushroomy effects"! Long gone are those days....long gone is Syd....long gone are the REAL Pink Floyd.....sadly :( :( :( :(

TERENCEMcKENNAandpychedelicshrooman.gif

PSYCHEDELICRAINBOWWHIRL.gif

I went through a HUGE Pink Floyd, and I mean MASSIVE Floyd phase several years ago.

Granted, I'm pretty damn burned out on them, but I still respect them a lot. Darkside is a masterpiece, obviously. I like Animals a lot too.

I like Floyd before The Wall, or before Roger Waters' ego consumed the band as a whole and practically made the band a laughing stock.

I went through a HUGE Pink Floyd, and I mean MASSIVE Floyd phase several years ago.

Granted, I'm pretty damn burned out on them, but I still respect them a lot. Darkside is a masterpiece, obviously. I like Animals a lot too.

I like Floyd before The Wall, or before Roger Waters' ego consumed the band as a whole and practically made the band a laughing stock.

You hit the nail on the head there! : :)

You hit the nail on the head there! : :)

Good points. My husband and I are long-time PF fans but we go through periods of feeling burned out on their music - ultimately, we end up returning to it. We love the early Floyd, Syd Barrett era and then almost everything up to and including Wish You Were Here. IMO, Darkside is indeed a masterpiece.

The Syd-era is what PF is all about for me. But of course, I do like Wish You Were Here too, but that's another band, and a band I don't like as much as the early PF. Never cared for The Wall album, even though I bought it and tried to understand the hype about it.. TDSOTM is alright. Gilmour is a great guitarist, I like his playing.

In my opinion, the Floyd is 2nd to Zep only. I do respect the fact that Floyd was build by Syd and honestly, the band should have ended using the name when he departed. However, if they did then they would be like many other bands of the era - a one hit wonder. With that said, in order to rank or rate Pink Floyd all of the music released under the name and the twists and turns (and changing band members) have to be taken into consideration.

I love each "era" of Pink Floyd for what it was. After the reunion gig at the G8 show, I bought all of their discs - mainly for the remastered versions of the 70's discs. That is when I really began to respect the early Floyd. Listening to Atom Mother Heart, Obscured By Clouds and other early works had some amazing gems on them. So, I began to make some compliation discs. I made one with many "hits" or personal favorites. Obviously after one, there needed to be another, then another. I ended making 5 different 80 min. discs without repeating a song and they are ALL fantastic. When making those discs the music flowed from one era of Floyd to another seemlessly. I found that I really do like The Final Cut, just broken up and not as itself. Also the "Gilmour Floyd" does work with the "Barrett Floyd" better than one would expect.

To conclude this, the bands are so different in many ways it is difficult if not even fair to compare them. It may be easier to compare the different member make-ups of the Floyd with itself. But I still believe under the name Pink Floyd they were all excellent in their own way.

Peace.

"Art changes people, people change the world." - John Butler

Good points. My husband and I are long-time PF fans but we go through periods of feeling burned out on their music - ultimately, we end up returning to it. We love the early Floyd, Syd Barrett era and then almost everything up to and including Wish You Were Here. IMO, Darkside is indeed a masterpiece.

MSG, You can Check Out anytime you like . . . . But you can Never Leave ... :D

There is a story of Syd walking into the recording studio one day carrying a plastic shopping bag and a shabby coat.......the saddest part is that the other Floyds didn't recognize him until he left the room.........so sad!! :( :( :( :(

DARKSIDEOFTHEMOONPSYCHlogowithPFban.jpg

My honest opinion! Floyd were and are PF & Syd....a long forgotten psychedelic band that used to perform in the mist of light shows and "mushroomy effects"! Long gone are those days....long gone is Syd....long gone are the REAL Pink Floyd.....sadly :( :( :( :(

TERENCEMcKENNAandpychedelicshrooman.gif

PSYCHEDELICRAINBOWWHIRL.gif

Yeh I know where your coming from !! Pipers is as a crucial album as Sgt Peppers is, to me more so, and lets face it would the Beatles have done that if they didn't have Floyd in the next studio doing all that stuff ??

I saw Floyd in 1988 and although it was an awesome spectacle and gig, Syd will always be the most important part of the Floyd story !!

There is a story of Syd walking into the recording studio one day carrying a plastic shopping bag and a shabby coat.......the saddest part is that the other Floyds didn't recognize him until he left the room.........so sad!! :( :( :( :(

DARKSIDEOFTHEMOONPSYCHlogowithPFban.jpg

And as crazy as the timing was, they were listening to a playback of Shine On ... which, of course, was written about Syd. Funny how timing comes into play :huh:

Peace.

"Art changes people, people change the world." - John Butler

To each his own, but it's clear that, the Gilmour era is far superior, more interesting, and covers way more musical ground.

Alotta Barrett stuff is just 60's pop. Some of the Gilmour stuff still sounds like it came from the future.

To each his own, but it's clear that, the Gilmour era is far superior, more interesting, and covers way more musical ground.

Alotta Barrett stuff is just 60's pop. Some of the Gilmour stuff still sounds like it came from the future.

Just for clarification, are you refering to the Gilmour stuff post Waters or everything he did with PF? Only See Emily Play was poppy (maybe Arnold Layne) in the Barrett years. I mean Astronomy Domine still sounds like it's from future, to a certain extent. Plus it was the basis for the entire Floyd sound.

The reason for the clarification question is that I feel all of the "Gilmour Floyd" (meaning '87 - '94)sounded pop-ish, more so than Syd's music did for its time. I still love it ALL though :D

Peace.

"The grass is greener, but just as hard to mow." - LR/JB

Just for clarification, are you refering to the Gilmour stuff post Waters or everything he did with PF? Only See Emily Play was poppy (maybe Arnold Layne) in the Barrett years. I mean Astronomy Domine still sounds like it's from future, to a certain extent. Plus it was the basis for the entire Floyd sound.

The reason for the clarification question is that I feel all of the "Gilmour Floyd" (meaning '87 - '94)sounded pop-ish, more so than Syd's music did for its time. I still love it ALL though :D

Peace.

No no no. Gilmour/Waters. Post Waters is better than alotta music, but pells in comparison to the rest of PF's material. I may not know exactly what I am talkin' about with 60's pop, but alotta Syd's stuff reminds me of Happy Together, well that style of music, anyway.

Point Me At the Sky is one of the cooler early Floyd tunes.

Well, "pop" stands for popular. Pyschedelic music was made popular, in great part, by Floyd at that time. But they weren't necessarily following a popular trend, as is the connotation of "poppy". Thought I'd pop in with that thought...

It is funny that the word pop is being used to describe Floyd's music :lol: Anyway, I agree they changed music to bring themselves into the mainstream, not the other way around.

The song that was referenced before, I don't believe I have heard that one and I have all of their discs including Works and Relics, etc. Do you mean Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun? If not, where can I find this track?

Peace.

"Don't it seem strange to you, that a government built on immigration is so damn racist too?" - John Butler

It might have been pop music, but it SURE wasn't WIMPY....like MOST of the stuff on The Wall....now that's a very wimpy album in my rock book!!! :) :)

Roger Waters is touring again in 2008, performing the complete DSOTM and other PF songs.

well here, you can see the Rogers Wartes 2007 Show in Argentina.

But i don't realy like the Waters stuff, I prefer Pink Floyd. Or maybe Gilmour stuff.

Archived