Pink Floyd Thread

eagle87

It might have been pop music, but it SURE wasn't WIMPY....like MOST of the stuff on The Wall....now that's a very wimpy album in my rock book!!! :) :)

Ya know, and I few years ago I woulda fought ya tooth and nail, but I agree sorta agree with ya about The Wall. It just doesnt stand up to the rest of my favorite Floyd.

I think Point Me At The Sky came from Shine On.... boxed set. The Early Singles disc.

Ya know, and I few years ago I woulda fought ya tooth and nail, but I agree sorta agree with ya about The Wall. It just doesnt stand up to the rest of my favorite Floyd.

I think Point Me At The Sky came from Shine On.... boxed set. The Early Singles disc.

I just find that many of the sounds most peeps fall for in The Wall JUST DO NOT pertain to a HUGE band that made rock history......I could understand, say, Limp Biskit do that, BUT NOT FLOYD!! :) :)

I just find that many of the sounds most peeps fall for in The Wall JUST DO NOT pertain to a HUGE band that made rock history......I could understand, say, Limp Biskit do that, BUT NOT FLOYD!! :) :)

My husband and I were just talking about The Wall. We remember when it came out and knew people who wanted it to be the next Dark Side. For us, it couldn't touch Dark Side.

I know some people here have read a few of my Floyd memories but, just in case you haven't, here they are again:

I think that the worst concert experience I ever had was at a Floyd concert back in the '70's. After that, I thought I'd never attend another PF concert. I don't know if anyone else on the board was there.

The concert was in the Sport Arena, in LA, and the LAPD came in and busted hundreds of kids. It was the worst violence I had ever witnessed at a concert. This all happened about a month after my last Zep concert so it was a shock. Kids were dragged and beaten by the police. The situation was made worse for many of us because there was so much pot smoked that night. The cops were there to bust kids primarily for pot! I remember seeing the cops take a huge bong from a guy and smash it to the ground before they busted him.

There was another concert somewhere in the area that night - either The Beach Boys or Elton John - and no police stormed in to bust kids (to this day we maintain that there had to be pot smoked at the other concert, but Floyd fans were targeted). Between watching kids (boys and girls) being dragged and beaten and roughed up, and the influence of all of the pot smoked that night, I was paranoid to the brink of near hysteria. One of the guys in our entourage was tripping and he freaked.

We thought that PF wasn't going to come back on stage to finish the show, but they did. After that, the next Floyd concert I attended was with my husband - the Wall tour, in '80, in the same venue. I was skittish because we were back in the same venue. That night, someone set off fireworks and they set the curtains around the stage on fire - I thought that was the end of the concert right then but, eventually, the Floyd came on and played.

Good times, bad times at Floyd concerts.

i love both eras but the post syd era is more mind blowing . the syd era was child's play

a giant fluffy cloud made of pot smoke that kissed magic mushroom mountains below.

it was fantasy and fiction. post syd was strange futuristic and fantastic yet real sometimes in a foreboding way. however syd's era was more revolutionary and more important, if that makes sense.( would have been no dark side of the moon, no srgt pepper, no flowery 1967.)

There is a story of Syd walking into the recording studio one day carrying a plastic shopping bag and a shabby coat.......the saddest part is that the other Floyds didn't recognize him until he left the room.........so sad!! :( :( :( :(

Here's a pic from that day:

SydAbbeyRd75.jpg

They did recognise him after a while, here's the story, it's pretty sad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wish_You_Were...7s_studio_visit

I love Floyd!Why does everyone hate The Wall?Yes Roger is an egotist who turned the band into a dictatorship,but the results on that album are great,it's a rock opera the equal of Tommy,it has my favourite Floyd track on it (Comfortably Numb) Dark Side is second only to LZ IV in terms of great albums,IMHO,Floyd are second only to the mighty Zeppelin.

Favourite albums:

1.Dark Side

2.The Wall

3.WYWH

4.Animals

5.Meddle

Favourite songs:

1.Comfortably Numb

2.SOYCD

3.Time

4.Money

5.WYWH

I think that The Wall is a great concept album,but nothing touches Dark Side.

SydAbbeyRd75.jpg

They did recognise him after a while, here's the story, it's pretty sad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wish_You_Were...7s_studio_visit

:(:( Yes, that is the photo of that sad day. I wonder what was going on in Syd's mind in those moments?! He even uttered some suggestions on the record..........poor Syd :( :(

RIP my dear psychedelic friend.

Rob

I love Floyd!Why does everyone hate The Wall?Yes Roger is an egotist who turned the band into a dictatorship,but the results on that album are great,it's a rock opera the equal of Tommy,it has my favourite Floyd track on it (Comfortably Numb) Dark Side is second only to LZ IV in terms of great albums,IMHO,Floyd are second only to the mighty Zeppelin.

Favourite albums:

1.Dark Side

2.The Wall

3.WYWH

4.Animals

5.Meddle

Favourite songs:

1.Comfortably Numb

2.SOYCD

3.Time

4.Money

5.WYWH

B) It's not that I hate The Wall...I dislike it because when it came out it seemed like it should have wiped away any previous PF work, which is utterly ridiculous and for other personal reasons that would be too long and twisty to talk about here! :). Comfortably Numb is the only song I like off TW. As for the concept of the album, there is no margin of comparison at all with Tommy!!!

The Wall was perhaps Floyd's "commercial" album....some may argue, so was DSOTM, yes, but the diff being that the former contained wimpier and less-arranged songs with respect to the latter.

Rob

SydAbbeyRd75.jpg

Tragic. It still breaks my heart when I think about it.

:(:( Yes, that is the photo of that sad day. I wonder what was going on in Syd's mind in those moments?! He even uttered some suggestions on the record..........poor Syd :( :(

RIP my dear psychedelic friend.

Rob

Amen.

The Madcap Passed

LA Weekly

Written by GREG BURK

Syd Barrett, 1946–2006 People called Syd Barrett’s

music childlike, which it was: A child, unconditioned,

can see things adults don’t, and often finds good ways

to express his visions. Barrett’s cut-up song

structures, jagged guitar rhythms, blindly leaping

melodies and flashbulb lyrics sounded as if he was

innocent of musical preconceptions. He wasn’t. His

band, Pink Floyd, began as an R&B cover group; it was

even named after two bluesmen. But Barrett tried to

enter the kingdom of heaven by becoming like a little

child. Through immoderate use of LSD, he deprogrammed

himself.

There were risks, of course. When an adult acts like a

child, people call him crazy, a fact Barrett

acknowledged in his 1967 hit “See Emily Play”: “You’ll

lose your mind and play free games.” Emily,

unfortunately, ended up floating “on a river, forever

and ever,” and so did the rapidly disintegrating

Barrett, who spent the last three decades of his life

incommunicado. The risk was an artistic choice.

An acid absurdist? Really, Barrett’s lyrics for Floyd

often addressed basic human concerns such as sex:

“I’ve got a bike, you can ride it if you like.” He

longed for the youthful escape of storybooks: “You

only have to read the lines of scribbly black and

everything shines.” But he was also canny enough to

grok the instability of his position in Floyd, in

“Chapter 24” quoting the I Ching about the hexagram Fu

(the turning point): “Going and coming without error.

Action brings good fortune.” Ready to forgive even

when the band finally replaced him in 1968, Barrett

sang unironically in his heartbreaking final Floyd

entry, “Jugband Blues,” “I’m most obliged to you for

making it clear that I’m not here.”

Barrett’s next album was his first solo flight, The

Madcap Laughs, produced with love and guilt by Floyd

partners David Gilmour and Roger Waters. Sounding

nearly out of control, he was nevertheless writing

some of his best songs, his chortling/choking vocals

showing that, though still a child, he understood

everything:

“I tattered my brain.” And “I understand that you’re

different from me.” And “Inside me I feel alone and

unreal.” And “When I live I die!” And “Won’t you miss

me? Wouldn’t you miss me at all?”

Pink Floyd missed Syd Barrett. Not enough, though, to

ditch a career that would make them rich. They were

wild pop stars, too. They just knew where the artistic

line was drawn. He didn’t know there was a line.

Last Updated ( Monday, 17 July 2006 )

B) It's not that I hate The Wall...I dislike it because when it came out it seemed like it should have wiped away any previous PF work, which is utterly ridiculous and for other personal reasons that would be too long and twisty to talk about here! :). Comfortably Numb is the only song I like off TW. As for the concept of the album, there is no margin of comparison at all with Tommy!!!

The Wall was perhaps Floyd's "commercial" album....some may argue, so was DSOTM, yes, but the diff being that the former contained wimpier and less-arranged songs with respect to the latter.

Rob

I just realized that you are in Australia. I don't know if you were living there when The Wall was released but there was so much hype that surrounded its release here in the U.S. My husband and I were living in L.A. at the time. The expectations for that album were enormous. It seemed that many people wanted it to be - or surpass - DSOTM. I don't believe that it did either.

OT: One of my closest friends is from Australia. She lived in Freemantle and Perth for 30 years prior to coming to the U.S.

Pink Floyd along with Led Zeppelin are my 2 earliest influences in the world of rock. I did like more pop type groups (dare I saw such as ELO and Supertramp) just shortly before discovering the real deal.

Led Zeppelin I and Dark Side Of The Moon were simultaneously my two favorite albums in 1977. I love the era of Pink Floyd post-Syd until The Wall. The Wall turned me off and today I still don't like it except for a couple of songs. Too much Roger Waters domination on The Wall.

David Gilmour is my favorite guitarist next to JIMMY PAGE!

See my signature for my all time favorite Pink Floyd song. Favorite album is "Animals". A work of art!

I saw ELO a couple of times they were cool definetly not at the same level of Zeppelin but still a pretty good band with a great live show.

Favourite albums:

1.Dark Side

2.The Wall

3.WYWH

4.Animals

5.Meddle

Favourite songs:

1.Comfortably Numb

2.SOYCD

3.Time

4.Money

5.WYWH

I would say b/c all the filler. Itsa great album to put on and play from beginning to end, but when you go song by song, it really shows its weaknesses. I really can't stand the Who. I think they get way more credit than they deserve, so I couldn't really compare it to the Wall.

You almost have to put DSOTM at the top, but I would put Animals, WYWH, Meddle, and lately, Obscured By Clouds above The Wall.

I just realized that you are in Australia. I don't know if you were living there when The Wall was released but there was so much hype that surrounded its release here in the U.S. My husband and I were living in L.A. at the time. The expectations for that album were enormous. It seemed that many people wanted it to be - or surpass - DSOTM. I don't believe that it did either.

OT: One of my closest friends is from Australia. She lived in Freemantle and Perth for 30 years prior to coming to the U.S.

Hi there...nice to meet you! :). I think what you say above about the expectations regarding The Wall have a lot to do with politics rather than with music.....I think music and politics just DO NOT mix!! :)

I'm from south of Sydney on the south-east coast of OZ......I've got many friends and colleagues from WA..........[PS - Bon Scott of AC/DC was from Perth too!!]

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I am buying my Rogers Waters tickets tomorrow for the gig at the O2 in May !! I cannot wait 1, to go back to the arena I saw led Zeppelin and 2, to hear DSOTM all the way thru !!

Im sure it will be great. So which original members will be missing? Will it make a differance?

Allow me! :D

The probability is that Waters (and possibly Nick Mason, who has rekindled his friendship with him, and has guested on some of these shows already) will be the only ex-Floyd member present.

As much as I love Pink Floyd I know very little about them like I do Zeppelin. I know that Waters refuses to talk to another member. Is it Black??

Not true. Things were not great for years, especially since Waters left Floyd only to see Gilmour take control. They have spoken periodically throughout during business meetings and obviously shared a stage in 2005. Roger is certainly keener on he idea of working with Floyd again than David Gilmour is. Who's Black?

Will it be as good as the originals? I kind of think they got a reputation of being greedy after they screwed those poor little choir boys out of getting not a dime. That is a bit low. If the reports I heard were correct. If I am wrong let me know.

The children used on 'Another Brick In The Wall part II' were from London's Islington Green School. The school was paid a fee of £1000 and there was no obligation for the school, or it's students, to receive royalties. I know that the kids involved had some freebies such as tickets for Floyd's Earls Court shows in 1980. They later, under 1996 copright law, became eligible for royalties and each would have received around £500. This was not a lawsuit against Pink Floyd, nobody had been screwed; a change in law simply meant that these people could claim, if they wished, but the money did not come from Floyd.

Im sure it will be great. So which original members will be missing? Will it make a differance? As much as I love Pink Floyd I know very little about them like I do Zeppelin. I know that Waters refuses to talk to another member. Is it Black?? Will it be as good as the originals? I kind of think they got a reputation of being greedy after they screwed those poor little choir boys out of getting not a dime. That is a bit low. If the reports I heard were correct. If I am wrong let me know. And leddy, next year when they play an NHL hockey game there at O2 I strongly suggest you go. You will love it. Especially iif its the Sabres!

Well lets face it nobody can replace Gilmour for feel on the guitar , but one of my mates who I am going with saw Waters do DSOTM afew years back and he said it was better than when he heard floyd do it back in the 70's !!

Archived