Coverdale/Page

Cat

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, BledZabbath said:

Agreed, you bash Zep, get the fuck out.

People who come on here to bash Zep should be automatically banned for life.

You should see the Jane's Addiction forum - every last thing they've done since reforming gets slagged off and stomped into the sewer with unflinching hatred and derision! But that's because Jane's are a travesty of the band they once were and Perry and Dave are seen as shitting on the legacy for a quick buck, so they cop the flak. Compared to the endless kickings meted out every day on the Jane's site, there's not much out-and-out bashing on here - thankfully.    

Edited by Brigante

19 hours ago, IpMan said:

So what? Are you serious??? There is noting wrong either in critique or calling something out for scrutiny and debate, however making a completely false accusation (Death claimed Zep & Plant in particular stole IMTOD) is both uncalled for and in bad form. Please see my post above whereby I clear up the brand new controversy regarding IMTOD and educate Death in the process.

Of course, is it against some law to not love everything about Zep ?, I was not thinking of his comments about Zep ripping off others when I posted and I don't know about IMTOD being a rip off, but face it Zep took song ideas from allot of sources as many others did, for a good example tell me Whole Lotta Love did not take anything from the Small Faces ?   

On 10/2/2017 at 3:21 PM, IpMan said:

So what? Are you serious??? There is noting wrong either in critique or calling something out for scrutiny and debate, however making a completely false accusation (Death claimed Zep & Plant in particular stole IMTOD) is both uncalled for and in bad form. Please see my post above whereby I clear up the brand new controversy regarding IMTOD and educate Death in the process.

You amaze me. Plant takes lyrics from a song that was never copyrighted and you see no problem in that. And please, go get your original LP's and check the songwriting credits, you'll see that When The Levee Breaks doesn't list anybody but the members of Zeppelin as having written it.

36 minutes ago, Dr Death said:

You amaze me. Plant takes lyrics from a song that was never copyrighted and you see no problem in that. And please, go get your original LP's and check the songwriting credits, you'll see that When The Levee Breaks doesn't list anybody but the members of Zeppelin as having written it.

When the Levee Breaks credits Memphis Minnie and always has. I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit, much less research.

13 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

for a good example tell me Whole Lotta Love did not take anything from the Small Faces ?   

Without a doubt, Plant's style on WLL has Steve Marriott written all over it. No one EVER contested that and the fact the used most of the original lyric. However, just because they stole they lyric portion of WLL does not mean they stole every song they produced. To my knowledge the songs they nicked were WLL and the Lemon Song, that's really it. They were sued for D&C but, IMO, that was bullshit. The Zep version of D&C shares only one line "I've been dazed and confused..." and that is it. No other lyrics are referenced and the whole structure and melody are completely different. Bring it on Home only has the acoustic intro, a standard blues progression plus the lyrics but the rest is 100% original. IMO, it was stupid for them to use the acoustic opening on BIOH with the lyrics as it would have been just as effective without any lyrics, just the progression. Other than that, nothing. They credited what they used on Zep I to the original artists except for, again, lyrical snippets from Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You and they had to pay up and credit for that.

So, they nicked a few lyrical phrases and wound up paying for it in the end. Of course it was not right but you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, here's Coverdale/Page live in Japan doing Kashmir. David really did a great job on all the Zeppelin covers, much better than Plant trying to sing Shake My Tree. I've heard countless versions of Plant trying to sing that, and he comes off as being totally unable to, maybe he didn't like singing a song co-written by David Coverdale, but this was also a Jimmy Page song and deserved much more respect than Plant gave it.

2 hours ago, Dr Death said:

For those interested, here's Coverdale/Page live in Japan doing Kashmir. David really did a great job on all the Zeppelin covers, much better than Plant trying to sing Shake My Tree. I've heard countless versions of Plant trying to sing that, and he comes off as being totally unable to, maybe he didn't like singing a song co-written by David Coverdale, but this was also a Jimmy Page song and deserved much more respect than Plant gave it.

Beg to differ. Sounds friggin awful

16 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Beg to differ. Sounds friggin awful

To each his own, I guess, but if you can't realize that David Coverdale has a great voice, then I don't know what's wrong with you. I think it sounds great and a lot of other people share my opinion.

4 hours ago, Dr Death said:

To each his own, I guess, but if you can't realize that David Coverdale has a great voice, then I don't know what's wrong with you. I think it sounds great and a lot of other people share my opinion.

He is a really good singer yes, but not as good as Plant in my opinion, especially not on high notes and yeah perhaps Plant sung Shake my tree a bit worse then he could on purpose, just to prove he does not have to be anybodies slave and can sing in new ways unlike Coverdale perhaps. I did not write anything in this topic in terms of a competition between Plant and Coverdale and I sure hope you didn't either, music is not a competition, although some people who listen to technical music, have a tendency to think like this, I even said songs can be very simple for me, I just expect more from Page in terms of sound and ideas of song structures and a better collaborator pick, but I am also tired of this topic and already said everything I meant to say. 

8 hours ago, Dr Death said:

He lacks subtlety. Totally over the top. Just my opinion. If you like him, good for you. Totally respect that 

10 hours ago, Dr Death said:

I share your opinion Dr. Death, I have always liked David Coverdale.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 9:45 PM, luvlz2 said:

I went to see JBLZE recently and before leaving for the concert was deciding whether to wear one of my Zeppelin t-shirts or Robert Plant or maybe my C./P. t-shirt. I figured a lot of people would be wearing Zeppelin shirts, and at the last minute I decided on the C./P. shirt.

On the way to the concert I was having second thoughts, thinking why am I wearing this to Jason's Led Zeppelin tribute? I should be wearing a Zeppelin shirt! It even occurred to me that I might even get into a fight over it. I said oh well, just stand my ground in case anyone decides to give me any kind of slack over it. I love this album and will stand my ground about my love for it, my love for Page's work! I certainly don't go around looking for any kind of fights in general, but you never know what could transpire at a concert.

But when I arrived I immediately got a warm compliment over it from the first group of people who saw me, and I continued getting compliments all night long until I left the concert! Turned out it was a smart move! There were a lot of people wearing Zeppelin shirts...

Great story!! And based on the recent comments on this thread, it appears that most of the animus on this forum about C/P back in 2008-10 is long gone. I keep going back to this record, even played it in a bar not too long ago, and the response was nothing but positive, as in "Hey, this is really good - what is it?" The go-to is "Don't Leave Me This Way", which toward the end soars with something of Kashmir or Achilles feel - classic Page, and great structural work, too. "Whisper a Prayer for the Dying" is also very strong structurally. The heavy droning dirge of "Take it Easy" typified the grunge era better than a lot of grunge did, imo. The album is a super strong, bluesy entry for the era, and has a diversity of content that most of the records of the time lacked. And yes, it was early enough to be "a grunge era" record, the beast still kicking in 1993 though not for long after.

It's not perfect: there are the cringe-worthy lyrics of "Take Me" and a shameless pop offering on "Take a Look at Yourself".  But what was Page to do, rewrite the lyrics when Dave wasn't looking? Dump a song his bandmates obviously wanted to sing and replace it with one of his droning slack tuning experiments? (hmm, that would have been good). This was a different, more easy-going Page than the Led Zeppelin producer. I know, he's often criticized for having been too easy-going in The Firm, but things were working quite well in C/P, obviously.

I'm no Coverdale fan by any means but I like him on this record, like him a lot. He and Page brought out the best in each other in 1992-93, and the remarkable thing is that their partnership probably shouldn't have worked at all.... 25 years later and I can't be much more impressed than I'm finding myself to be about the results.    

Edited by Mercurious

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Mercurious said:

the remarkable thing is that their partnership probably shouldn't have worked at all.... 

Exactly. After all, Jimmy did once say that when he saw the violin bow come out in the Still of the Night video he 'literally fell off the bed, laughing!'
You wouldn't think there'd be any scope for a collaboration after that, but with Coverdale Page I got the impression that Jimmy genuinely
liked Coverdale and enjoyed working with him.
Can't predict chemistry, I guess.

6 hours ago, kayley10 said:

I think the biggest mistake Jimmy Page has ever made was getting back together with Plant in 1994. Coverdale Page is without any doubt the best thing he ever did after Zeppelin. I even prefer it to many Zeppelin records.

Totally agree. There's a "what if" right there. Imo getting back with Plant was a unnecessary safety net, just when JP was getting his guitar chops and songwriting abilities back. I rarely play WIC now but play the Coverdale + Page record regularly.

This is an interesting subject. Coverdale is much more straightforward than Plant. Always has been. His quote about his lyrics is "well...I ain't Billy Shakespeare, mate". He's aware of what he writes and doesn't try to force himself out of it. He did it in Deep Purple on the songs Burn and Stormbringer to mixed results. Whereas some of his best lyric writing has been on straight up blues songs such as Mistreated, Crying in the Rain and even Don't Leave Me this Way. Everyone here knows about Robert and what he writes.

Coverdale Page was the most successful post Zeppelin solo original album after Now and Zen (excluding No Quarter/Unledded). As someone pointed out, it succeeded despite no North American tour, no European tour and merely a 7 date run in Japan in December of 1993. On the flip side it's quite fascinating how Walking into Clarksdale failed commercially as much as it did. I remember feeling that it should have done better, and THAT had a major tour (saw them at Red Rocks that go round). I feel by the late 90's the Zeppelin nostalgia train had dried up outside of tours and, quite frankly WIC was under-produced and maybe too minimal in it's construction. Who knows.

Coverdale went back to Whitesnake and never looked back. The myth is that DC has been pining away for Jimmy when in reality Coverdale left the project and has shown little to no desire to revisit outside of remastering the original album (which it badly needs). The latest Whitesnake 1987 box set is something I would love to see them do with the CP album. There's a CD in that box set called "Evolutions" where songs are constructed from demo to final form and it's extremely fascinating to listen to. I don't care for the album itself, but it is magnificent quality for money.

• 3 months later...

I called Sirius XM (Volume) Channel 106  (Eddie Trunk) this afternoon as Eddie had his live interview w/ David Coverdale today around 2:45 - 3:15pm EST (replays tonight).

I requested for Eddie to ask David about any chance of a Coverdale Page II project album and / or a CP remaster/reissue w/ bonus tracks/ dvd Bonus footage. David said he actually is interested in both and that both he and Jimmy actually last December spoke about their interest in a reissue w/ Bonus materials. He said Warner UK (record label) came to both of them at a holiday party / gathering late last year regarding interest  in a remaster / reissue w/ Bonus of CP. David also said there are 5 or so unreleased tracks and a bunch of video footage to use in the future.

He mentioned to Jimmy that he should do what Santana did w/ Supernatural album (assembling a variety of singers / guest musicians) and he’d be interested in contributing a few vocals as he’s currently got 5 or 6 projects in the works (including the new Whitesnake album, which has been delayed due to his recent illness , editing of several other projects, touring w/ Whitesnake this year, reviewing material for deluxe Anniversary reissues for Slide It In (this year) & Slip of the Tongue - next year ). The complete interview will re-air tonight as well as on Eddie’s Pod Cast soon. 

R😎

Edited by reids

2 hours ago, reids said:

I called Sirius XM (Volume) Channel 106  (Eddie Trunk) this afternoon as Eddie had his live interview w/ David Coverdale today around 2:45 - 3:15pm EST (replays tonight).

I requested for Eddie to ask David about any chance of a Coverdale Page II project album and / or a CP remaster/reissue w/ bonus tracks/ dvd Bonus footage. David said he actually is interested in both and that both he and Jimmy actually last December spoke about their interest in a reissue w/ Bonus materials. He said Warner UK (record label) came to both of them at a holiday party / gathering late last year regarding interest  in a remaster / reissue w/ Bonus of CP. David also said there are 5 or so unreleased tracks and a bunch of video footage to use in the future.

He mentioned to Jimmy that he should do what Santana did w/ Supernatural album (assembling a variety of singers / guest musicians) and he’d be interested in contributing a few vocals as he’s currently got 5 or 6 projects in the works (including the new Whitesnake album, which has been delayed due to his recent illness , editing of several other projects, touring w/ Whitesnake this year, reviewing material for deluxe Anniversary reissues for Slide It In (this year) & Slip of the Tongue - next year ). The complete interview will re-air tonight as well as on Eddie’s Pod Cast soon. 

R😎

Heres the interview from earlier today.

At 13:00 DC talks about John & Jason Bonham. At 27:30 He discusses JP (from my requested call).

R😎

This year marks the 25th Anniversary of CP, so we’ll see if / when they give Warner UK the green light for the remaster to take place (hopefully soon) with bonus materials (5+ tracks and video footage). I believe this year and next year will be very expensive years for Led Zeppelin and related projects (collectors/fans alike). 

R😎

Edited by reids

23 hours ago, reids said:

This year marks the 25th Anniversary of CP, so we’ll see if / when they give Warner UK the green light for the remaster to take place (hopefully soon) with bonus materials (5+ tracks and video footage). I believe this year and next year will be very expensive years for Led Zeppelin and related projects (collectors/fans alike). 

R😎