Coverdale/Page

Cat

I'd like to see anything from C/P again, but more on the lines of a studio album then outtakes and filmed rehearsals. I really like all of the unreleased tracks Ive heard so far. That was some of Page's best playing, without a doubt. Even though a handful of the popular tracks, like "shake my tree" had sort of a glam sound to them, it's still a great album. The lesser known tracks are the better ones I think. "Easy does It" and "Absolution Blues" are killer.

You say "glam" as though it's a dirty word. Maybe you're alluding to hair metal.

Hair metal is another word for glam, glam metal, hair metal, glam rock..Is there really that much difference???? You know what I meant and if you don't, your pretty narrow-minded, for someone who claims to listen to such a wide range of music..you of all people should have understood my comment. I think there are quite a few people who are getting a little annoyed with you Jahfin. I've grown more patient with age with stupid remarks, but still in all, you tend to want to pick out any particular word you dont feel fit, or that you want an exact definition for. However, you know exactlty what I meant with my comment. No where in there did I refer to "glam" as a dirty word, but as a reference of what type of style it reminds me of . It's a shame someone can't post a simple, very simple comment without you twisting it, or making some sort of goofy comment based on what YOU think it should be...that's kinda sad brotha. One things for sure, aside from your constant cracks on just about every thread we both dig Zeppelin and that's alright by me, but sometimes you need to learn how to keep your mouth shut. Hasn't happened yet though...have a good evening man, I sincerley mean that. And oh, congradulations, you got more out of me than expected...won't happen again though. I'll let you entertain a few others who enjoy your post.

Hair metal is another word for glam, glam metal, hair metal, glam rock..Is there really that much difference???? You know what I meant and if you don't, your pretty narrow-minded, for someone who claims to listen to such a wide range of music..you of all people should have understood my comment. I think there are quite a few people who are getting a little annoyed with you Jahfin. I've grown more patient with age with stupid remarks, but still in all, you tend to want to pick out any particular word you dont feel fit, or that you want an exact definition for. However, you know exactlty what I meant with my comment. No where in there did I refer to "glam" as a dirty word, but as a reference of what type of style it reminds me of . It's a shame someone can't post a simple, very simple comment without you twisting it, or making some sort of goofy comment based on what YOU think it should be...that's kinda sad brotha. One things for sure, aside from your constant cracks on just about every thread we both dig Zeppelin and that's alright by me, but sometimes you need to learn how to keep your mouth shut. Hasn't happened yet though...have a good evening man, I sincerley mean that. And oh, congradulations, you got more out of me than expected...won't happen again though. I'll let you entertain a few others who enjoy your post.

Just seeking some clarification. No need to pitch a fit. For some of us, glam rock means stuff like T. Rex, David Bowie, Slade, Alice Cooper, etc. while hair metal means bands like Warrant, Cinderella, Ratt, etc. While there's certainly some elements of glam in hair metal, I've never thought of the terms as interchangeable.

I'd like to see anything from C/P again, but more on the lines of a studio album then outtakes and filmed rehearsals. I really like all of the unreleased tracks Ive heard so far. That was some of Page's best playing, without a doubt. Even though a handful of the popular tracks, like "shake my tree" had sort of a glam sound to them, it's still a great album. The lesser known tracks are the better ones I think. "Easy does It" and "Absolution Blues" are killer.

Yeah Easy Does It is killer as is Absolution Blues, dang every time I put that album on I'm blown away. Jimmy sounding as good as ever.

I said it before and I'll say it again, although I was in hog heaven that Page/Plant got back together for the two 90's tours and I was able to see them, I ten to one would have rather heard more C/P than the Unledded and WIC albums anyday of the week.

Yeah Easy Does It is killer as is Absolution Blues, dang every time I put that album on I'm blown away. Jimmy sounding as good as ever.

I said it before and I'll say it again, although I was in hog heaven that Page/Plant got back together for the two 90's tours and I was able to see them, I ten to one would have rather heard more C/P than the Unledded and WIC albums anyday of the week.

I agree. I think it's Page's best overall playing since Zeppelin and maybe my personal favorite (you gotta say your own "personal" favorite on here, or you'll get questioned, bashed, or made a topic of - so beware!) of his entire carrer besides Zeppelin albums. There are a few spots within Coverdale's lyrics that sound a bit too "predictable" or "cliche" to me "personally" but besides that I love it as a whole.

Edited by Rock Historian

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find David's interview in jam that was posted on page seven of this thread. Never knew of the problems with Jimmy's manager. Also funny to hear about how Plant went to early Whitesnake shows and that his daughter, Carmen was a fan. People can judge artist as they may. I liked it from the time of it's release. I'm not a big fan of Robert's country side of his last few, but own them and find something to like. I do respect Coverdale for his kindness towards Jimmy when mentioned. I'd like Steve's take on Jimmy's manager at the time. I met a guy backstage, part of Jason's crew with Charles West as vocalist, on a Jason Bonham tour wearing a Outrider jacket, and won't share the story, but can easily see where managers have their own agendas

I'd like Steve's take on Jimmy's manager at the time. I met a guy backstage, part of Jason's crew with Charles West as vocalist, on a Jason Bonham tour wearing a Outrider jacket, and won't share the story, but can easily see where managers have their own agendas

IMHO, the Coverdale/Page project never reached its full potential for a number of reasons. In hindsight, they both sacrificed artistic control to keep the record label's support, money and influence behind them. Meanwhile, management could not get on the same Page (no pun intended) with regard to a world tour. It

seems David places most of the blame on Jimmy's manager at the time, Brian Goode, but artists have their own agendas as well. It seems to me the elephant

in the room with Jimmy is always if he is truly willing to do whatever it takes to thrive as a rock star outside of Led Zeppelin or not? Given Jimmy already knew he was going to work with Robert in '94 so it makes perfect sense any attempt to record, let alone release one of the C/P Japanese concerts was squashed.

Were it not for David asking (along with record label pressure) it's doubtful that tour would have happened at all.

IMHO, the Coverdale/Page project never reached its full potential for a number of reasons. In hindsight, they both sacrificed artistic control to keep the record label's support, money and influence behind them. Meanwhile, management could not get on the same Page (no pun intended) with regard to a world tour. It

seems David places most of the blame on Jimmy's manager at the time, Brian Goode, but artists have their own agendas as well. It seems to me the elephant

in the room with Jimmy is always if he is truly willing to do whatever it takes to thrive as a rock star outside of Led Zeppelin or not? Given Jimmy already knew he was going to work with Robert in '94 so it makes perfect sense any attempt to record, let alone release one of the C/P Japanese concerts was squashed.

Were it not for David asking (along with record label pressure) it's doubtful that tour would have happened at all.

This is interesting insight Steve. Do you have any info on the C/P American tour (that wasn't). I heard tickets actually went on sale in Miami and maybe some other cities in the south, but was cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

Thanks Steve. I always enjoy and appreciate your insight. I do think Jimmy seemed to be enjoying working with David from the rehearsal videos that were posted. It's a shame that such a talented artist is so hung up on what will never be. Like I said, I don't really enjoy some of Robert's country flavors, but respect him for always moving. Even JPJ does a variety of projects. I wish Jimmy would do something original, rock, blues, folk, middle eastern, just something. Jimmy can sit in with guys, like JPJ does, but Jonesy still manages to record, even if it's on other people's records. It's like Jimmy lost his fire.

This is interesting insight Steve. Do you have any info on the C/P American tour (that wasn't). I heard tickets actually went on sale in Miami and maybe some other cities in the south, but was cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

Not sure what to make of David's comments about a Spring '93 club tour as they were still promoting the album, filming the videos and what not. If there were such thoughts they must have been very tentative. In fact, I show they were still attempting to finalize tour details in June.UK-based tour rehearsals weren't held until July, at Nomis Studio in London.

Meanwhile, a 45 date North American Tour set to begin in July was cancelled before tickets went on sale. However, at least three dates were reported in the press - Coca-Cola Amphitheater in Burgettstown, PA 7/18, Darien Center in Darien Lake, PA 7/28 & Starwood Amphitheater in Antioch, TN 8/10.

The first week of August a rescheduled 45 date North American tour was finally announced but cancelled about three weeks later on account of sluggish ticket sales for the following dates: Miami (Miami Arena) 10/8, Tampa (Sundome) 10/9, Orlando (Orlando Arena) 10/10, Atlanta (The Omni) 10/15, Dallas (Convention Center Arena) 10/20.

Vince Neil, who'd left Motley Crue and released a solo album that year, had been confirmed as the opening act. I show Jimmy (or his manager) objected to Extreme as their opening act, perhaps because that band featured Nuno Bettencourt who was a very popular guitarist at the time.

Edited by SteveAJones

FEW REASONS to consider buying the first collaboration by ex-Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and ex-Whitesnake singer David Coverdale:

(3) You relish the idea of hearing grizzled rock stud Coverdale pursing his lips around lyrics like "'Scuse me if my tongue gets tired/An' I will make some sweet love to you." You'll also love it if you like hearing women referred to as "babe," "child," and "mama."

(5) You hate Robert Plant so much for not partaking in a full-time Zep reunion that you'll do anything to spite him--even buy this album.

(6) For the oh-so-enigmatic cover art, which kind of, almost, sort of brings to mind the covers of Zep albums like Presence. But only kind of.

Nah but I really actually love this album!

• 8 months later...

The Gazette (Colorado Springs, CO)

April 23, 1993

Denver's summer concert season heats up

The list of summer concerts continues to grow, with Fey Concerts adding to the lineup at Red Rocks and Fiddler's Green. The best bet of the additions is Coverdale/Page, slated for Aug. 17 at Fiddler's Green. Denver has always been a Led Zeppelin mecca, so the return of Jimmy Page for the first time since he played Denver with The Firm in 1984 should be a sizzler.

(THIS CONCERT WAS CANCELLED--saj)

Edited by SteveAJones

St. Petersburg Times

August 1, 1993

Edition: CITY

Section: TAMPA BAY AND STATE

Page: 1B

LED ZEPPELIN, ONE AT A TIME

LED ZEPPELIN, ONE AT A TIME: Robert Plant (right) will play the USF Sun Dome on Sept. 18, followed by former Zeppelin bandmate Jimmy Page on Oct. 9.

St. Petersburg Times - August 1, 1993

Plant at Sun Dome

Former Led Zeppelin singer and current solo artist Robert Plant will be making his only Central Florida appearance at the USF Sun Dome on Sept. 18. Tickets go on sale Aug. 7. Jimmy Page, meanwhile, is scheduled to be at the Sun Dome on Oct. 9 with his band, Coverdale/Page. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution - August 14, 1993

TICKETS ON SALE TODAY

Robert Plant. Sept. 19. The Fox Theatre. $25.50 and $29.50 at Ticketmaster and box office at 10 a.m. 249-6400.Lenny Kravitz. Oct. 8. Chastain Park Amphitheatre. $18.50 and $22.50 at Ticketmaster at 11 a.m. 249-6400.ON SALE MONDAY Steely Dan. Sept. 18. The Omni. $25 and $45 at Ticketmaster at 10 a.m. 249-6400.ON SALE AUG. 21 Coverdale/Page. Oct. 15. The Omni. $22.50 at Ticketmaster at 10 a.m. 249-6400.

(THE COVERDALE/PAGE CONCERTS WERE CANCELLED--saj)