Recording "Bloopers"

Cat

Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You

This is the best example of John Bonham's notoriously squeaky bass drum pedal. Jimmy Page discussed the squeak in a 1993 Guitar World interview:

"The only real problem I can remember encountering was when we were putting the first boxed set together. There was an awfully squeaky bass drum pedal on "Since I've Been Loving You". It sounds louder and louder every time I hear it! [laughs]. That was something that was obviously sadly overlooked at the time."

Here's the link to download MP3:

http://www.hometracked.com/2007/08/23/10-r...made-the-album/

That's one of those once you hear it it's forever there sort of things. A bit like the phone ringing in The Ocean.

That's one of my favorite songs and I've not heard the phone. I'll have to listen more carefully. Thanks :thanku:

I've been aware of the squeaky bass drum pedal from the mid seventies, after I had a serious upgrade of Hi-Fi, so I'm surprised that Page claims it was un-noticed at the time of recording. I would have thought that a master played through studio monitors would have revealed it at the time. Yes, The Ocean and the ringing phone: again, it wasn't until the advent of the CD that people started asking me if I heard the phone on a Led Zeppelin track, and it always raised eyebrows when I instantly answered "yes, during the guitar solo on The Ocean" - that, and overloading microphones (crackling noises).

RB

• 13 years later...

On the old forum there was a list of all the bloopers, including;

at the end of a solo in ten years gone you can hear Page pull the lead out his guitar
in Misty mountain hop Jones plays a wrong note
Squeaky bas pedal in SIBLY and another song (I forget which but it isn’t as noticeable)
The phone in the ocean ( I don’t understand how anyone could miss it)
In Kashmir traces of the original strings are still audible in a couple of places

i can’t remember the rest

• 1 month later...

Copying some stuff I posted in another thread of mine (More of a production- than a performance blooper):

"In the original studio version of "The Rain Song" there seems to be something weird going on with how the drums fade into the mix. Listen at the 3:36 mark. The drums come in just a millisecond late and it also seems like it comes in on the "ring" of the cymbal, rather than the initial hit. The fade is very fast which makes for a pretty "off-beat" and unnatural sound.

On the companion disc that came bundled with the deluxe edition of the Houses of the Holy there's an alternate mix called " The Rain Song - Mix Minus Piano". Have a listen at the same mark around 3:36. Interestingly enough there is no fade/cut whatsoever and one can also hear that Bonzo leads up to the cymbal hit with three  brush strokes on the snare."

Hard to say if the weird fade on the original version is intentional or not. If I found a similar thing on one of my own songs I would have fixed it.