Depression

Evster2012

Ever since I got laid off from my job in September, I barely ever post on the board. I just sit in my chair and drink beer by the case. I feel like a stranger in my own body. So many people here know me, and know me well. I read a few threads and I just can't get excited. I had over 16,000 posts on the old board. I think I'm suffering from depression.

I'm having trouble finding my joy. I feel like I'm in a haze. Food has no taste.

Doesn't smoking affect your taste buds?

Spend an afternoon at the library reading. Nice and quiet, an interesting book or magazine with new ideas to feed your mind. We know or have known people with severe depression and an afternoon at the library won't solve the problem.

I think I am in the same place as you, brother... Nearly four grand on the old board and what I have now, not that I give a stuff about post counts, but I don't find this as exciting as it used to be as well. I should've got more done than this...

I always say that I promise to be here and post more often, but I'm here and I don't post as often.

I am doing quite well, though. I hope you are, too, Ev.

Ever since I got laid off from my job in September, I barely ever post on the board. I just sit in my chair and drink beer by the case. I feel like a stranger in my own body. So many people here know me, and know me well. I read a few threads and I just can't get excited. I had over 16,000 posts on the old board. I think I'm suffering from depression.

Not knowing your situation, it's difficult to comment.

But here's an idea: Do you know somebody in your neighbourhood who owns dogs? Offer to walk them. Make sure you got to do it every day at the same time. It'll give you at least some sense of purpose, it'll get you out of the house, you get some fresh air, sunlight and exercise - all things that help brighten the mood. If there's no dogs, try and make yourself go for a walk every day.

If it's more than just the circumstances that drag you down, see a doctor. Don't feel embarrassed about it - depressions are among the most common afflictions, you're not alone.

Good luck!

I was kinda hoping other depressed bastards would comiserate with me! :lol:

I was diagnosed with Depression in 2002. Been on and off several meds, went through therapy and went through some rough patches. I'm a bit apprehensive of saying to much on a public forum.

I always get the winter blahs. Happy to say i haven't seen even one significant snowfall this year, but the cold makes me feel somber. I miss the flowers blooming, the leaves on the tress, and the warm air. Can't wait to get to the beach this summer.

it's more than winter blahs...no significant other can be hard especially around valentine's day and coming up to major birhday next month...blah is understatement

Ev, my husband and I have both been there at different times in our lives. Believe me, I know what you're going through. We pulled ourselvesl out of depression without meds or docs, but that may not be an option for you. I can't tell from your posts how deep it is for you.

After years of poverty and living on a shoestring, my husband got what everyone considered to be a "great job" - he hated it. Had to wear a suit! Never fit in. Nor did I. He just happened to possess a particular skillset and have an acumen for what the corp. needed. There are many details I've left out here. Anyway, there were so many external expectations on him but, in his heart, it wasn't what he wanted to do w/ his life. Not only was he feeling depressed, the depression manifested itself in chronic, unbearable back pain. We really thought, at one point, that he'd need to undergo drastic back surgery. The two of us sat down and realized that, as great as everyone thought that job was - it wasn't the life we wanted. We walked away from all of it...no one understood but us - that, in order for him to be happy, he needs to follow his bliss and not let anyone put any expectations on him.

So, back to you. You obviously have a passion and a talent for music. Have you thought of, perhaps, teaching music?

Mine came post Zep and, like you, I was drinking heavily (I would literally sit w/ a 1/5 of whatever was available and imbibe when I did my homework), abusing my body, pouring in every manner of substance. It was worse than that. I was in school and living with one of my older friends from my Zep days. I remember her telling me: "You think you need to hit rock bottom first but I'm not going to let you go there" - and she didn't. I think that hearing her say that to me and knowing that I mattered to someone and that someone cared for me, gave me what I needed in order to pull out of it. Not long after that, I met my soulmate.

In both our cases, life changes were responsible for bumping us out of depression.

"You think you need to hit rock bottom first but I'm not going to let you go there."

Ev, I've left details out here, feel free to PM me.

I was kinda hoping other depressed bastards would comiserate with me! :lol:

Well, I guess I already knew that, mate. I've been there myself as you know. I'd say the minute you feel some strength again, go look for ways to get your days a bit more organized. What you really need is a job, and to get one, you need to be able to look for it methodically. So get your day organized. If your drinking is worrying you also, then look at it this way: as long as you don't have a job and your day is completely unorganized, then strictly speaking you can spend the day just drinking.

But really you can't. Remember Angi is there for you, as are your friends - and remember that you are just too damn talented to waste your days in this way. As for professional help, get it if/when you feel the need for it yourself.

That's the short answer. Speak again soon. :wave:

I think Otto said it the best, mate, but I think the main thing is to know that others have been there and come out the other side. You will NOT be without a job for the rest of your life. And in the meantime, perhaps you can do things--like teaching music--that will just get you out of that chair. One of the main ways people get on track from some big psychological trauma is by focusing their energies on doing things for others, whether it's volunteering or whatever. Now, we already know you've got a heart as big as the Atlantic, and you already do so much to support your friends--perhaps you could just take it a step further, so that in effect you're letting people support YOU by focusing on them rather than the cause of your depression?

Hey Ev.

Did you know that alcohol is a depressant and will sink you further into depression?

I've delt with bouts of depression over the years.

This time of year is hard on me. I get the winter blues, especially when it's sub zero temps and the sun hasn't been out in days.

You've been so nice to me, and recommended some good reading to me, I'd like to recommend a book to you.

It's called Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns.

This book has been recommended to me by every shrink I have ever been to, and there has been a few.

It has practical ideas and exercises to lift one's mood by means of self help.

It's by no means a magic cure. But it's a place to start.

If you don't like it, I'm sure you can use it to level a wobbly table at least.

Hang in there Ev.

Keep in mind how many people care about you Ev and what a cool person you really are.

I was diagnosed with Depression in 2002. Been on and off several meds, went through therapy and went through some rough patches. I'm a bit apprehensive of saying to much on a public forum.

I don't blame you for being apprehensive. It's tough to come out and admit it b/c I think there is still such a stigma associated w/ depression. It doesn't last forever: people who knew me pre-depression and people who know me post-depression and the way I am today, would never imagine that I went through that period of darkness. Thanks for sharing that here. Believe me, I know it's tough to do.

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER – 2 days ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of newly laid off workers filing applications for unemployment benefits dropped last week, but not enough to indicate that strains on the labor market are easing.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that 356,000 claims for jobless benefits were filed last week, a decline of 22,000 from the previous week. The decline only erased a part of the huge jump of 72,000 in claims of the previous week.

The four-week average for jobless claims rose to 335,000, which was the highest level in a month.

A severe slowdown in economic growth that has raised concerns about a possible recession has begun to affect the labor market. The government reported last week that the economy shed 17,000 jobs in January, the first monthly job loss in more than four years.

Analysts said the performance of claims in the past two weeks showed that a surprising decline in claims from mid-December to mid-January was a statistical fluke caused by difficulty in adjusting the numbers around holidays and the start of the year. They predicted further increases in jobless claims in coming weeks as more companies are forced to lay off employees.

"In this environment, simply cutting back on hiring will not be enough for companies to maintain earnings as demand slows. Jobs will have to be cut too," said Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics.

In other economic news, the nation's retailers reported weak sales in January. The disappointing sales figures, which followed a lackluster holiday season, showed that consumers are cutting back in the face of high gasoline and food prices, a slumping housing market and a severe credit crisis.

Sales at 43 retailers surveyed by the UBS-International Council of Shopping Centers rose just 0.5 percent in January, well below the original 1.5 percent forecast.

On Wall Street, the Dow Jones industrial average rose by 46.90 points to close at 12,247.00 as investors put aside their worries about the economy to go bargain hunting after three straight days of stock losses.

Many economists believe that the current quarter will be the maximum danger point for the economy to slip into a recession, which would be the first downturn since 2001.

Those fears were increased on Tuesday when the Institute for Supply Management reported a startling contraction in the service sector, triggering a 370-point drop that day in the Dow Jones industrial average.

On Wednesday, Macy's department stores announced that the company was cutting 2,300 jobs, adding to worries that the current economic slowdown is spreading.

The Senate passed an economic rescue plan Thursday that would speed $600 to $1,200 in rebates to most taxpayers after Democrats dropped their demand that the proposal offer jobless benefits and heating aid for the poor. House leaders said they would act quickly to approve the changes made to their original measure so that it can be sent to the president for his signature. The goal is to boost consumer spending to combat the economic sluggishness.

The overall economy, as measured by the gross domestic product, slowed to an anemic growth rate of just 0.6 percent in the final three months of last year. Some economists believe the GDP will turn negative in the current quarter. One common definition of a recession is two consecutive quarterly declines in the GDP.

For the week ending Jan. 26, 43 states and territories reported a decrease in claims while nine reported increases.

The biggest drop was in Michigan, a fall of 7,546 that was attributed to fewer layoffs in all industries. The biggest increase for the week of Jan. 26 occurred in Wisconsin, a jump of 2,335 claims applications, an increase that was blamed on higher layoffs in construction, trade, transportation, warehousing and manufacturing industries.

Claims for Unemployment Benefits Decline

I wasn't trying to minimize your situation, just didn't realize the extent of it. I can empathize with you on the lack of a relationship and the upcoming holiday. I am presently going it alone, but I don't feel I need a partner to be whole. It would be nice to find someone special, again. I spent too many years wasting my time with someone who was always in a funk himself. I never really understood just how much his situation caused me to feel down, until now. So how old are you going to be next month?

I don't blame you for being apprehensive. It's tough to come out and admit it b/c I think there is still such a stigma associated w/ depression. It doesn't last forever: people who knew me pre-depression and people who know me post-depression and the way I am today, would never imagine that I went through that period of darkness. Thanks for sharing that here. Believe me, I know it's tough to do.

Same for me MSG... I kept trying to pretend that I could deal with it on my own. I'm gratefull that people close to myself had the courage to confront me. The darkness has lifted and my life is far better for it

I get into funks but ALWAYS know I'll come out of them. I never know how though.

One thing though...the thought of getting A JOB gets me even MORE depressed ! :lol:

I LOVE my FREE time.....it can't be bought, too valuable to me....

I just had the most up and down year of my life....MY future was TRULY hinging on fate. Someone/something was looking out for me. I emerged unscathed except for the permanent emotional trauma which I can deal with easier..knowing the REAL DANGER I was facing and avoided...somehow.

Bottom line...my heart is still broken over my ordeal...and yeah, I deal with the depression daily, BUT, I know it will only get better....someday.

I cover it mostly with laughter...even if it's only temporary, it DOES work for that moment.

Sorry you're in a funk Ev....it'll get better, you just gotta believe.

I do not claim to be a professional in this subject but would like to offer my thoughts . Firstly , know that this dark time will pass , without a doubt . You have come too far in life to be forever consumed by your low mood . Also , do not pay attention to ANYONE who suggests you "snap out of it " or "pull yourself together " . This is not possible if you truly are feeling the effects of depression . Time will help you to heal .

You should know that depression is extremely common . More people than you imagine are on medication and that is not a negative thing . You really should find someone you trust and who's intelligence you respect and ask to open up to them . Chances are they will re-assure you and suggest some paths towards help . Many of history's brightest and most accomplished people anguished with depression at one point or another . Sir Winston Churchill comes to mind , Einstein too struggled with it .

Every struggle we encounter in live is for a reason and only serves to make us stronger , it may take quite some time but you will emerge stronger than before . You have a purpose here and I don't think it has been accomplished yet .

Don't measure yourself by what you have done but by what you will do , even if it's not going to be now . Please remember that many people in your life , whether they be near or far , truly care about your well being and think none the less of you no matter what your circumstances .

Before long you will think back remembering your mood and feel so good that you experienced it and came through a better man . As our friends said " Flee from me keepers of the gloom ". This will pass and until it does please get some assurance from an MD .

Lastly , you should know that you have brought alot of joy to me on this site although I don't post often . I used to grin everytime I saw that picture of you chugging a beer . I would say to myself "He looks like a good man , wish I knew him personally ." Do what you need to do my friend . We'll all be here waiting to see you smile again .

Archived