Depression

Evster2012

Ever since I got laid off from my job in September, I barely ever post on the board. I just sit in my chair and drink beer by the case. I feel like a stranger in my own body. So many people here know me, and know me well. I read a few threads and I just can't get excited. I had over 16,000 posts on the old board. I think I'm suffering from depression.

Sorry you're hurting. I admire your posts. :console:

I am so sorry Ev. I hate to see you feeling this way. I have been there mate and I know how painful it is and how difficult it can be to get through. I think a couple of things others said in particular I would echo. Alcohol is a depressant and that is likely not helping you feel better. It may sound trite but based on my own experiences, I find that when I am in a bad place, there is a reason it's happening - a lesson if you will. It sucks that it can take a bad situation to find it but perhaps what happened with the job was meant as your finding a new door to open. I think you are incredibly bright and musical and get on so well with people that you could take those and put them to many things. Perhaps think of what you would like to do ideally and then what steps could you take to get there. Maybe there are interim jobs that would ultimately lead to your dream job. You have so much to offer dear friend that the possibilities are endless. But when you're depressed, it's hard to see that, I know.

In the meantime, you've got tons of people who love you dearly and are there to help you in any way we can. Please just ask because you have given so much, it's time you let others return that love.

:console::kiss:

He just needs to win the lottery.....Ka-ching !

No more depression about a JOB !!!

I don't understand how anyone would get bored with lots of free time on their hands. That's not reference to you Ev....just in general.

Enjoy your free time...get out..take hikes, go to the beach. Live life !!!

I suffer from depression and bad anxiety and have done since I was 18 and I'm now 22. It's one of the hardest things I've ever been through.

Surround yourself with people you love and they WILL support you. Sometimes you feel like they don't understand, they can't help you, they've forgotten, etc, but just having them BE there can sometimes relieve the burden of loneliness and isolation. Talking helps, regular excercise and healthy eating are also recommended. Fuzzy Merkin's got it spot on about dog walking. You won't believe the amount of my doctor's have told me to do that. Do something to occupy your time. When I'm bored and not doing anything the worst thoughts can enter my mind and make everything worse, and they really are awful worries.

I'm sorry to hear about this, despite not knowing you. But it WILL get better.

:)

He just needs to win the lottery.....Ka-ching !

No more depression about a JOB !!!

I don't understand how anyone would get bored with lots of free time on their hands. That's not reference to you Ev....just in general.

Enjoy your free time...get out..take hikes, go to the beach. Live life !!!

I post this for others knowledge and not for Ev's benefit . The above statements are about the worst thing you could possibly say to a person suffering , and I mean suffering , from depression . I 'm sure you meant well but if you ever have a loved one in a sad state these are the wrong suggestions to make . Unless you have been there you cannot understand the condition and it's effects . I can assure you , people who have made it their lifes work to know and heal depression would not make light of the situation in any way . I know , I've been there and back . As I said I know you meant to be bright and positive but unfortunately it doesn't work that way . Wish it was that easy .

Hi all,

Ever since I got laid off from my job in September, I barely ever post on the board. I just sit in my chair and drink beer by the case. I feel like a stranger in my own body. So many people here know me, and know me well. I read a few threads and I just can't get excited. I had over 16,000 posts on the old board. I think I'm suffering from depression.

Hey Ev,get your head out of your ass,please! :)

You have a hell of alot going for ya! Ye are smart,you know your shit,and you'll get another job and more important alot of folks love you Hell, I can't say that!

I'm not trying to piss you off,but a swift kick in ass might be all it takes.You need to talk?PM me.

Your not going down that road without a fight boy! :mad:

And before the rest of you either throw daisies on WMD at me, I been doing this kind of shit for 30 years,....

KB(EV,..I am here)

Hi all,

Hey Ev,get your head out of your ass,please! :)

You have a hell of alot going for ya! Ye are smart,you know your shit,and you'll get another job and more important alot of folks love you Hell, I can't say that!

I'm not trying to piss you off,but a swift kick in ass might be all it takes.You need to talk?PM me.

Your not going down that road without a fight boy! :mad:

And before the rest of you either throw daisies on WMD at me, I been doing this kind of shit for 30 years,....

KB(EV,..I am here)

like your style...doing for 30 years? as what if you do not mind me asking...just curious since i'm in the mental health field

Hi al,

like your style...doing for 30 years? as what if you do not mind me asking...just curious since i'm in the mental health field

Hi ledzepmanic ( if I may call you that(?) ),I'd rather,instead of giving myself kudos,I'd rather discuss that over a PM.This is about Ev,and I really don't think he would post this to the whole bloody world if he was not hurtin'! IMVHO.

KB

When youre weary, feeling small,

When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;

Im on your side. when times get rough

And friends just cant be found,

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down.

I will lay me down.

When youre down and out,

When youre on the street,

When evening falls so hard

I will comfort you.

Ill take your part.

When darkness comes

And pains is all around,

I will lay me down.

I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,

Sail on by.

Your time has come to shine.

All your dreams are on their way.

See how they shine.

If you need a friend

Im sailing right behind.

I will ease your mind.

I will ease your mind.

I think I am probably a good canidate for depression. I've have had lots of bad stuff happen in the last 20 years... mostly some very serious health issues with my wife. But that's a long story and not a very happy one.

Yeah, if I had the time to be depressed I probably would. But since I've got other people relying on me to keep shit together I don't allow too much time for it.

Face it folks, shit happens! ... and then you've got to suck it up and get on with it.

I post this for others knowledge and not for Ev's benefit . The above statements are about the worst thing you could possibly say to a person suffering , and I mean suffering , from depression . I 'm sure you meant well but if you ever have a loved one in a sad state these are the wrong suggestions to make . Unless you have been there you cannot understand the condition and it's effects . I can assure you , people who have made it their lifes work to know and heal depression would not make light of the situation in any way . I know , I've been there and back . As I said I know you meant to be bright and positive but unfortunately it doesn't work that way . Wish it was that easy .

You didn't read my first response apparently....I not only mentioned my own hard times...but how I deal with it....hence the second post as well....

RIF.

It really boils down to accepting the condition and getting the proper help. Depression is an illness that can and should be dealt with. The hard part is admitting that help is needed. Those of us that have seeked help can understand how difficult that first step can be. Once done though, things become clearer and more managable. If we had the Flu, broken arm,sore tooth etc... we'd treat them ASAP

Sorry to hear that Ev. I think Mobydick's advice is probably the best I read on here. Depression is a medical issue, and there are external issues that can trigger or compound it. Would a phone call tomorrow offering you a job make you feel 100% better? Maybe. But chances are it's deeper than that. Sometimes a doctor will prescribe meds just to help you get through this temporary bad spell. Once you feel better, and get through the issues such as job loss, you can go off the meds.

Clinicial depression is not the Same as feeling depressed, the first is partily based on a chemical imbalance, the second is temporary feelings based on circumstance, that will change. The issue is to sort out what is going on for a particular individual. I believe Ev will work this out and in the end he will have more wonderful things to share. We all send you& crew a whole lotta love-Peace

Clinicial depression is not the Same as feeling depressed, the first is partily based on a chemical imbalance, the second is temporary feelings based on circumstance, that will change. The issue is to sort out what is going on for a particular individual. I believe Ev will work this out and in the end he will have more wonderful things to share. We all send you& crew a whole lotta love-Peace

Great observation and well said !

What's Dr. Kevorkian up to these days. Maybe you should hit him up.

Loss of employment and the accompanying loss of a daily routine disorients a person and may contribute to a sense of depression, along with the loss of income. It's important to establish a regular routine and to consciously make positive affirmations every day. A daily plan of physical exercise can also lift your spirits by improving the flow of oxygen to the brain and the release of endorphins.

I hear ya Ev, I,ve been laid off since the 1st week of december and its startin to get pretty rough. i know for me, when i am workin sometimes i go on the road and it 10 to 12 to maybe even 14 hours a day and your just goin and goin. Then you get dropped off at the next block and all these fuckin bills i had cuaght up on and almost paid off i cant pay anymore. then you start back sliden and then drinkin cuz lets face it alcohol is the best temporary solution ever. Not necessarily the best idea but i do have a drink by my side right now. I dont have a any great solutions or even any good advice alls i know is somethins gotta give!!!!!!!!! best wishes bud!

P.S. back in the day i used to watch an episode of jerry spriger when i got depressed now those people have some fuckin problems :lol:

Great observation and well said !

did you ever go back and read my initial post ?

you didn't think my second one was sound advice...when really...if someone is out of work and concerned for their economic well being...a lottery winning would help that immensly....though an unlikely chance...but still.....the rest of what I said had merit ! :D

What's Dr. Kevorkian up to these days. Maybe you should hit him up.

Laughter is GOOD medicine...I'm a firm believer ! :D

I've been bummed out as bad as ever lately...and I can even laugh at this....:)

I aged more in the last 8 months than I ever have.....those just don't know...

recommending expensive doctors and expensive meds to a person with money problems is not helpful.

Ev, just know that there are people who care and we're all pulling for you...it's always darkest just before the dawn, it may well get even darker yet but better times ARE ahead

Archived