Depression

Evster2012

First of all, Evster, I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through. You're one of the good guys and your contributions are always appreciated.

I've been there myself and it seems like things are never going to change, but trust me, they do in time. Even when you get better, however, you'll have 'up' periods and 'down' periods and I suppose the trick is learning how to deal with the downs now, so you're prepared for them next time they hit. I'm not sure how helpful the following will be to you as you've already received some brilliant advice from the folks here but I'd like to try anyway.

I'd recommend speaking to your GP first. It could be that you don't need meds at all, just some esteem-building and they can refer you to a therapist who'll draw up a recovery plan for you.

I sometimes find it useful to keep busy when I'm down. Make sure you're always doing something, even if it's just rearranging your CDs or doing the washing-up. Often when we're depressed we let ourselves and our environment go, so if this is you then you'll be surprised how much better you feel once you've put everything in order. Force yourself if necessary. If your surrounds are getting you down, change them or go out for a walk. Take a friend with you so you have someone to talk to.

About the job situation - have you had any interviews? If not, the problem could be something as simple as your CV needing a revamp. Get someone you trust to look it over, or someone from a job agency. You might not be 'selling' yourself and your skills as well as you can.

And don't feel you have to rush. It's your life, take as much time as you need. :)

If some people read the Random Facts about yourself thread, they can guess that I'm depressed about being alone. It's really tiring and just......you'd think a nice, sweet person like me would have someone, but I don't.

I'm also depressed for another reason, but it's way too personal.

Hey Ricky, you're not alone in being depressed because of lack of companionship. But everyone has friends, it's better to just enjoy the friends you have than dwell on the lack of a "closer" friend.

Whenever I'm depressed I just put on some relaxing music and read a book, I think everyone should do it as often as possible, really calms the mind and lets you escape better than anything else.

Ev has really started something here. It's refreshing to see everyone's honesty. Personally, I have been feeling weird and redundant since my daughter's been in high school. I've reverted back to old eating habits and put on some pounds. Plus, it's cold as fuck here, and it makes me not wanna do anything or go anywhere. I force myself to exercise, and I feel so much better when I do. It not only makes me stronger, but helps me think more clearly and stabilizes my moods. I certainly don't want to sound flippant about clinical depression, so I hope anyone out there who is feeling so low that they can't find a way out sees a professional, because that's what they're there for, and we all need one, sooner or later. :)

Hi all,

If some people read the Random Facts about yourself thread, they can guess that I'm depressed about being alone. It's really tiring and just......you'd think a nice, sweet person like me would have someone, but I don't. I'm also depressed for another reason, but it's way too personal.

Yo!DN! Alone? One is never alone,you may feel that but 6 billion people are hard to ignore,me being just 1 of them.Open your eyes. You may have not anyone sitting on the couch next to you,but you have someone thinking about you,and friends who care.Heck I don't even know you and I don't have a couch,but if I did,you could sit there,I'd cook you dinner and then we could blast some music and have a laugh.(Do you see my point?)

Now that other reason,your taking alot of energy to hold that down inside of you.Trust me lad and/or lassie,you could be doing other things with that!

KB

Dear Ev,

I got fired for bogus reasons last February and was out of work for 6 months. Right now I'm still only full-time freelance. It sucks. Sending out resume after resume without landing a good job makes your self-esteem plummet. But really, it's not you, its' the economy. I've been on anti-depressants for awhile and it's really helped. Just makes you feel like your old self again. It's fine to spend some time wallowing, but eventually you need to take a positive step. So many people here hold you in such high regard, I hope that makes you feel better. Reach out to someone close, take a step and get back on the road ....

Good luck and big hugs

Ev has really started something here. It's refreshing to see everyone's honesty. Personally, I have been feeling weird and redundant since my daughter's been in high school. I've reverted back to old eating habits and put on some pounds. Plus, it's cold as fuck here, and it makes me not wanna do anything or go anywhere. I force myself to exercise, and I feel so much better when I do. It not only makes me stronger, but helps me think more clearly and stabilizes my moods. I certainly don't want to sound flippant about clinical depression, so I hope anyone out there who is feeling so low that they can't find a way out sees a professional, because that's what they're there for, and we all need one, sooner or later. :)

Yeah, changes will do that too you. My depression started getting really bad and eventually brought my anxiety back after I first started college. I love college, but it was just so different from the stuff I was used too. That's when I eventually decided to go and get help for it all.

Hi all,

Yo!DN! Alone? One is never alone,you may feel that but 6 billion people are hard to ignore,me being just 1 of them.Open your eyes. You may have not anyone sitting on the couch next to you,but you have someone thinking about you,and friends who care.Heck I don't even know you and I don't have a couch,but if I did,you could sit there,I'd cook you dinner and then we could blast some music and have a laugh.(Do you see my point?)

Now that other reason,your taking alot of energy to hold that down inside of you.Trust me lad and/or lassie,you could be doing other things with that!

KB

Thanks. Appreciate that. I know I'm not literally "alone" but I mean, a companion, y'know?

Hi all

Thanks. Appreciate that. I know I'm not literally "alone" but I mean, a companion, y'know?

Your very welcome.

I am sure you deserve one.

Let them come to you.

In the end you only have yourself and in the end that is all that really matters.

Chin up!

KB( all alone)

Wow! When I asked for comiserators, I never expected.. :lol:

You've all been amazing! And yeah Suz, it seems I did start something here! A place to share your troubles as well as a place for others to show their quality (even Mr Kevorkian back there). What an amazing read! I feel lighter already! Keep it coming everyone! Catharsis is a good thing! :D

I've been there. It's the pits...literally.

I realized it was getting bad when I self medicated and I was drinking beer to get sleep.

I sought help, and had no insurance either. Luckily, we have so much research in our area I joined a study and was indeed diagnosed.

One of the first things the docs said was to give up the beer & any substances, otherwise, they cannot tell what is working if they try meds. I did, I gave up everything for at least a year.

NAMI can help you find resources if you do not have insurance.......yeah, our rich country, that's yet another depressing subject.

I don't want to preach Ev, but if you can cut back on the beer...slowly like Lakey said, it will be a good start.

There is ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope everything gets better. Knowing you have so many who care should be a great help.

Ev,

I hope any attempts of humor I directed to you (and Ricky) were accepted as that....HUMOR !!

Laughing is good medicine !

If you didn't find anything to chuckle about...I'll try harder next time...others here seem to think my imputs are misdirected or at least partially invalid.

Just remember...Misery DOES love company...and I've had personal misery and tragedy in the last several months as well......hope we find common ground in funny stuff....

I feel for all you guys who voice issues with feelings of ill being. I have had short periods of melancholy but never anything I would consider depression. I consider myself lucky. Since a young age I was active in sports, swimming, music and I have always had a few "true" friends in my life to make it all worthwhile. I keep busy with hobbies and activities and don't find time to feel "alone". I also have the bestest mom and dad in the world. They are so cool. Introduced me to the best rock music from an early age. I think their wonderful raising of my siblings and me has helped me to feel good almost every day of my life.

Evster I hope you feel better real soon. Nobody should be down in the dumps for more than a fleeting moment.

I have a few beers on the weekend, but I know better than to drink cases at a time. Get off the juice and get into a better place. Sorry I can't provide more help but I still have a lot of life to learn about myself! Good Luck.

You need to overcome the tendonitis. That is the main problem. Overcome your disability, and then you can continue doing the job you are trained to do.

You need to go health and fitness crazy. Lose weight, get in shape. Change your diet, do exercises every day.

Tendonitis can be overcome.

Evster, if you need a change of career, can I recommend teaching English as a second language? If you possess a degree or equivalent, it's something to look into and you'll get the chance to see the world if you wish, or else you could stay in the US to teach new arrivals. I quit a job I despised (decent money, but WAY too stressful) to do a teaching course and even though things aren't perfect, I'm a lot more content on the career front, which always makes a difference to one's state of mind.

You'd probably need to do a TESL course (which can cost money, but you may get concessions if you're unemployed - don't know how it works in the US) but it's a good bow-string to have and you rarely encounter the discipline problems that are part and parcel of schoolteaching, as you're dealing mainly with adults who actually WANT to learn. It's good fun sometimes. :)

I don't know you personally of course, but you come across as a patient and understanding type and those qualities are important in a teacher.

Just something to consider! :thumbsup:

Archived