Depression

Evster2012

Sorry folks. Those medications are a bunch of BS.

I understand if you totally disagree with me.

Exercise and a good diet will fix a lot. If you can't bring yourself to exercise and eat good, I can understand that. It's not easy.

These medications aren't really understood. No one can fully explain how they "work", and there isn't really any great evidence to show they do.

I suggest some more natural things. Try SAM-E or maybe Saint John's Wort.

This is a really complicated subject. There are a million reasons for feeling depressed. Some people are trapped in situations where there only option might be some fake feel better pills. Ok, I get that.

You make some good points. No doubt exercise and a good diet are important and in some cases, enough. As far as meds are concerned, that is something that worked for me but, I would never suggest for a minute that they are the only thing that changed my life. If this problem were as simple as that then nobody would suffer from depression at all. It is a very personal disease and needs to be treated as such. I've posted a number of times on the subject and will be the first to admit that I can really only speak for myself when it comes to treatment. What does alarm me though, is any post that discourages anyone from seeking professional help. That I can guarantee, is no solution

Hi all,

Mr Tull,well the good folks here,we helped Ev,maybe we can help you. What's the grief? :)

"Spill it Louie,what's on your mind."

KB (that will be 5 cents)

My wife can ALWAYS tell when I am in an OFF mood. The cause can be something as ridiculous as 1. another driver cutting me off 2. a co-worker or neighbor ignoring me. When the time is right, my wife will joke about the petty things that tend to get me down. We both know people who suffer from depression and are sympathetic to the problem. My problems are insignificant compared to others.

I am involved in a project at work that is really frustrating and causing me great stress. Upper management shows no interest, my manager is ADD and not able to help with some of the management aspects of the project and the factory workers who will ultimately use the software don't have time to participate in the testing to the degree they need. I've been laying in bed at 2:30 am worrying about it all.

My wife can ALWAYS tell when I am in an OFF mood. The cause can be something as ridiculous as 1. another driver cutting me off 2. a co-worker or neighbor ignoring me. When the time is right, my wife will joke about the petty things that tend to get me down. We both know people who suffer from depression and are sympathetic to the problem. My problems are insignificant compared to others.

I am involved in a project at work that is really frustrating and causing me great stress. Upper management shows no interest, my manager is ADD and not able to help with some of the management aspects of the project and the factory workers who will ultimately use the software don't have time to participate in the testing to the degree they need. I've been laying in bed at 2:30 am worrying about it all.

Stress is root of all evil if you ask me. Everything becomes a little cloudy when we feel that way. I've tried (not alway's successfully) to remember that nothing good, ever came from worrying. Your problems are significant though.You wouldn't have posted if you thought they weren't. Sounds to me like your the type of person who gives a shit about things and get frustrated when other's around you, could give a rats ass...... Welcome to the club my man

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what my wife tells me.

I think that's why there's been so much fighting on the forum as well. If I'm right, maybe we all do have some common ground.....other than Led Zeppelin

• 1 month later...
I suffer from severe depression. Often, life seems so empty for me. I could be in the best place on the planet, with the best company ever...but I could be miserable. It is a disease with me. I inherited it off of my dad. I think though that I handle it well, I mask it with humour and so many many people are so suprised when I tell them that I suffer from it so much. I don't want to depress others with my mood and so that is why I hide it I guess. So I totally empathise with you on this one Ev. Hope things pan out for you. :thumbsup:

just digging up and old thread, dont mind me...

This post really kinda captures how I feel most of the time. I know I'm depressed, it comes in waves, its just kinda something I learn to deal with i guess (grit my teeth and wait for it to pass). But the part that i can really relate to is how you mask it with humour. When I'm with friends I feel I have an obligation to be the guy that tells jokes and keeps people's spirits high, its just who I've always been.

Reading this thread its comforting knowing how many people are dealing with it (I dont that mean in a bad way, just good to know I'm not the only one, cause theres no way I would talk to friends or family about it).

but anyways...sorry for digging up an old, depressing thread.

just digging up and old thread, dont mind me...

This post really kinda captures how I feel most of the time. I know I'm depressed, it comes in waves, its just kinda something I learn to deal with i guess (grit my teeth and wait for it to pass). But the part that i can really relate to is how you mask it with humour. When I'm with friends I feel I have an obligation to be the guy that tells jokes and keeps people's spirits high, its just who I've always been.

Reading this thread its comforting knowing how many people are dealing with it (I dont that mean in a bad way, just good to know I'm not the only one, cause theres no way I would talk to friends or family about it).

but anyways...sorry for digging up an old, depressing thread.

Don't be sorry at all :) This thread is dedicated to the problem. You mention about being the funny guy and lifting other peoples spirits. Not necessarily a sign of depression, but it seems at times it's easier to deal with other peoples problems than our own. Of course the same could be said of me at the moment. You'll have to trust me that I'm fine :D

I was feeling depressed last week so I called a Deppression Hotline.

The call was forwarded to a help desk in Pakistan.

When I told them I was feeling suicidal, they got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

If you'd been a woman you'd have been asked to brandish a STRAP-ON!

Ever since I got laid off from my job in September, I barely ever post on the board. I just sit in my chair and drink beer by the case. I feel like a stranger in my own body. So many people here know me, and know me well. I read a few threads and I just can't get excited. I had over 16,000 posts on the old board. I think I'm suffering from depression.

Take a pill. If that doesn't work take 20..

No its not funny but probably meant well, and ya know sometimes life sux and your almost forced to wait to see if things change and that sux feelin like you have no control over your own destiny but you just gotta keep goin and maybe say a prayer or 2!!!

OK then, This is not a joke....go play games on another thread

It's no game. If your depressed and one pill doesnt do it take another one, silly. If you can drink cases of beer how will a few pills hurt you.

I dont wanna see him hurt himself, however they invented anti depressants many years ago. They may make him quit the beer though because both will make you puke.

Besides, I wasn't commenting on your post anyhow.

I guess the pubs still here I dunno, you just want a row right?

Forget it, life is too sweet and I am toooo happy for you to bother it lol.

It's no game. If your depressed and one pill doesnt do it take another one, silly. If you can drink cases of beer how will a few pills hurt you.

I dont wanna see him hurt himself, however they invented anti depressants many years ago. They may make him quit the beer though because both will make you puke.

Besides, I wasn't commenting on your post anyhow.

I guess the pubs still here I dunno, you just want a row right?

Forget it, life is too sweet and I am toooo happy for you to bother it lol.

I don't want a row, Suggesting to someone that they take 20 pills has a ring to it that insinuates you could care less about the problem and the person. Maybe it's just me

For the record, I started this thread months ago. I was in a state and had the courage to speak out publicly about it. I'm no longer feeling that way. It passed. But recommending I swallow a fistfull of pills? Too late, I already took the other guy's advice and called Dr. Kevorkian. He's coming over on Thursday. See you in the pub. :beer:

God!

Now that's funny...Evster is good at wise cracking, trust me on that one.

Touche'

:hysterical:

Since you're not receiving PMs:

Do I know you? Your posts suggest I do. If you're a friend just messing around, I'd like to know who you are. You can't blame me for being curious. There's a familiarity you seem to have with "Evster". So you know me, or are you just messing around with "Evster"? Are you an old friend under a new name, or are you someone taking a shot at me? I can laugh at sarcasm, and enjoy the joke. The question is, are you friend or foe? See you in the pub! :beer:

No secrets here. Never have been. :beer:

Since you're not receiving PMs:

Do I know you? Your posts suggest I do. If you're a friend just messing around, I'd like to know who you are. You can't blame me for being curious. There's a familiarity you seem to have with "Evster". So you know me, or are you just messing around with "Evster"? Are you an old friend under a new name, or are you someone taking a shot at me? I can laugh at sarcasm, and enjoy the joke. The question is, are you friend or foe? See you in the pub! :beer:

No secrets here. Never have been. :beer:

Dunno really. I do however crack with equal opportunity.

PM's?

I have no use for them, if it's so secretive it has to be sent in a PM??? Well I always thought web boards were for communication, not secretive messages.

But new friends are always welcomed.

You can view this board, and read it without being a member if I recall correctly.

Seriously though. Depression can take a huge toll on people. I hope you feel better.

So I will make you laugh...

Where did boogernose go anyways, I liked that screen name?

To you a brew..

:beer:

Well make sure you take a walk everyday, minimum 10 minutes even if you don't feel like it

excersing helps

and if you need to realax try buying yourself a Desert Rose stone.

I was at the Le Melange Magique a few days ago looking for a crystal to use as a pendulum (anything will do butt I decided I'd like a crystal) so I came across a weird looking rock called a Desert Stone. As I had it in my hand I could feel a relaxing effect. I put it down as I was looking for small crystals however I did feel a calming effect while holding the stone so I bought it.

at home I held it in my hand and started to feel calm and very relaxed.

I told a friend about it who has anxiety attacks. I gave it to her and asked her what she felt she responded that a calm and relaxing feeling came over her.

The next day while talking to her on the phone her tone was the most relaxed I've heard her be in at least 15 years. She thanked me for having told her and now keeps it with her all the time.

It only cost $3.00 at the store, she gave me $5.00 even though I told her that she didn't have to pay me for it she wanted to. Even after speaking to her a few days later on the phone she still was the calmest I've seen her in years.

So I'd say if you have trouble with your nerves or relaxing score yourselves a Desert Rose stone.

When i am feeling depressed i will sometimes actually wallow in it. But other times i will just try and keep busy, go out and get fresh air and sun. Long winters and the time change can make people depressed.

Archived