Herbie Hancock Wins Album of the Year

The Pagemeister

main_home_070423112709330_wideweb__300x266.jpg

:D

http://www.grammys.com/

Winehouse rules Grammys, but Hancock shocks

Dean Goodman, Reuters

Published: Monday, February 11, 2008

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - British pop singer Amy Winehouse, whose rapid descent from promising newcomer to emaciated junkie played out in the full glare of the public eye last year, took home five Grammy Awards on Sunday.

But jazz veteran Herbie Hancock was the shock winner of the coveted album of the year award, preventing Winehouse from enjoying a historic clean sweep.

Winehouse, 24, did win the key awards for record and song of the year for her hit tune "Rehab," as well as best new artist. Her haul was rounded out by the female pop vocal solo performance for "Rehab," and pop vocal album for "Back to Black," her breakthrough release.

Hip-hop star Kanye West, 30, who led all Grammy contenders with eight nominations, ended up with four awards. He was hoping for his first album of the year win, after losing with his two previous releases.

Yet it was Hancock who claimed the best album Grammy for "River: The Joni Letters," a tribute to Canadian singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell. He also won the contemporary jazz album Grammy, bringing his career haul to 12. Virtually no one among the Grammy pundits had expected him to take the big prize. Even his nomination was a surprise.

"What a beautiful day this is in Los Angeles," Hancock said, as he took the stage at the Staples Center to pick up the album of the year award. "Joni Mitchell, Joni Mitchell, Joni Mitchell, thank you so much."

He said it was 43 years since a jazz artist won the album of the year award: Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto's "Getz/Gilberto."

Mitchell, coincidentally, won a pop instrumental Grammy for "One Week Last Summer."

Even without album of the year, Winehouse savored a stunning comeback. She entered a London rehab clinic last month after a long battle with drugs and alcohol. Just three weeks ago she was filmed appearing to be smoking crack cocaine at a party.

Because of the rehab -- and problems getting a U.S. work visa -- Winehouse performed two songs live via satellite from a London venue. She performed confidently, offering a few sly grins.

Vince Gill had the best comment of the night in regards to Kanye, perhaps the most sore loser the music world has ever known.

He is, and it's not funny. Yeah the MTV VMAs are pointless, but when he lost during this past year's show, he blew up back stage, demanding to know why he didn't win. All he seems to do at award shows, whatever they may be, is that he doesn't win enough.

I watched some of tonight's show (in anticipation of seeing JPJ & Foo Fighters plus the Tina Turner/Beyonce duet). I happened to catch his performance. I can't say too much about the song he performed but I thought the tribute to his mother was nice.

What did Vince Gill say? I missed that.

FROM CMT NEWS:

Accepting his best country album award for These Days, Vince Gill delivered the funniest line at Sunday night's (Feb. 10) Grammy Awards when he said, "I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?"

:)

I'm sure Kanye is going to try to justify himself because he was trying to talk about his mother's death, but it really doesn't matter. He's no more important than anyone else there, but he refuses to accept what he is.

I'm sure Kanye is going to try to justify himself because he was trying to talk about his mother's death, but it really doesn't matter. He's no more important than anyone else there, but he refuses to accept what he is.

I don't know much about hip-hop, but I do know Kayne West is a spoiled brat.

I heard Kanye's rant, and I found it really sad that he tried to wedge talkin about his mom after the music started. Sayin somethin along the lines of the Grammy's bein classless. I think he disrespected with his comments, since there was no mention of her til he realized they weren't gonna quit playin the exit music.

What the hell is whining everytime you lose an ultimately unimportant award.

Didn't Kanye west interrupt some country singers acceptance speach a few years to complain that he didn't win anything. Was it Vince Gill he interrupted. Kanye is a self obsorbed jerk. he was too much last night. Most artists have to put up with the music starting up to signal that it's time to get off the stage. he is no better than any of them.

On a good note.ood for Amy Winehouse. Her album was my favorite of the past year. She deserved it.

I heard Kanye's rant, and I found it really sad that he tried to wedge talkin about his mom after the music started. Sayin somethin along the lines of the Grammy's bein classless. I think he disrespected with his comments, since there was no mention of her til he realized they weren't gonna quit playin the exit music.

What the hell is whining everytime you lose an ultimately unimportant award.

I remember his rant back during Katrina he said Bush don't like black people and that's why no body came to help.Well he didn't recant after the final report. Not so lopsided ay kanjay

http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/publi...information.pdf

I actually like the songs of Kanye's I've heard (which I guess would be 2), but I don't get why he needs to spazz out.

If he ONLY DID spazz out, it wouldn't be so bad :) :).....OK I guess I only listened to the 'wimpier' songs by Herbie.

Rob

Sorry, can't find anything likeable in Herbie's music and I guess I never will! :) :) :)

Have you ever heard some of his early to mid 70's fusion the Headhunters album was real good an instruemental jazz/funk masterpiece.Not smooth jazz by any means.

Shoot...I've got stuff when Herbie was in the mid 60s Miles Davis Quintet, Miles's later fusion material, and Herbie's mid 70s Headhunter solo stuff.

He's a wonderful player and inventor. I actually prefer his 1974 'Thrust' Funk !! :thumbsup: This is what I was listening to in high school.

Look ! It's the terraces at Machu Picchu ! brspled was there and posted photos !!!!

615qXrE9NkL._SS500_.jpg

Have you ever heard some of his early to mid 70's fusion the Headhunters album was real good an instruemental jazz/funk masterpiece.Not smooth jazz by any means.

:rolleyes:<_< No I haven't actually....all I've heard of Herbie (I've nothing personal against the man!) were various songs with rattles and the worst kind of late 70s disco junk in between....I don't remember the titles of the songs so I can't be more precise. Anyway, thanx for the heads up...I'll look into them! :)

Rob

Shoot...I've got stuff when Herbie was in the mid 60s Miles Davis Quintet, Miles's later fusion material, and Herbie's mid 70s Headhunter solo stuff.

He's a wonderful player and inventor. I actually prefer his 1974 'Thrust' Funk !! :thumbsup: This is what I was listening to in high school.

Look ! It's the terraces at Machu Picchu ! brspled was there and posted photos !!!!

615qXrE9NkL._SS500_.jpg

I'm not much of a jazz freak and I didn't know Herbie was in MDQ......I DO dig Miles' stuff though....saw MD live years ago....a great show for a rocker like me :) :) :)

Archived