The Ten Club

bigstickbonzo

• 5 weeks later...

From CNN:

Bassist For Pearl Jam Mugged In Atlanta

art.pearljam.attack.wsb.jpg

The attack took place on April 27 at Southern Tracks Recording in Atlanta, Georgia.

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- So much for Southern hospitality.

The attack took place on April 27 at Southern Tracks Recording in Atlanta, Georgia.

When Pearl Jam -- the Seattle, Washington-based grunge rock band -- was in Atlanta late last month, bass guitar player Jeff Ament and a band employee were mugged outside a recording studio, a police report shows.

According to the DeKalb County Police Department, Ament and Mark Anthony Smith were attacked shortly before noon on April 27 when they arrived at Southern Tracks Recording, a studio in north Atlanta.

Southern Tracks is the home base of producer Brendan O'Brien, with whom the band has worked before. According to Rolling Stone, the band is recording a new album with the producer.

Three men reportedly emerged from a nearby wooded area wearing masks and brandishing knives. They smashed windows of the rented Jeep Commander, snatched a BlackBerry phone and other belongings, and demanded money, the police report shows. The suspects allegedly got away with more than $7,300 in goods and cash.

Ament jumped from the passenger side of the vehicle and started to run, but he was chased by a suspect and knocked to the ground, said Mekka Parish, a public information officer with the police department.

Watch surviellance video of the attack »

She said he "suffered some lacerations" on the back of his head and was treated at the scene. His backpack was also snatched, she said, and included inside was Ament's passport.

"At this time detectives believe the victims were not specifically targeted," Parish said. "But they believe the suspects were familiar with the studio because of its isolated location."

Though surveillance cameras captured the incident, the masks worn by the attackers have made identifying suspects difficult.

Witnesses reported seeing the suspects flee through the woods and hop into a waiting black Maxima, Parish added. Anyone with leads on this case is encouraged to call 770-724-7850.

From Pearl Jam's website:

PEARL JAM SCHEDULED AS MUSICAL GUEST FOR JUNE 1ST PREMIERE OF “THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O’BRIEN”

Pearl Jam is scheduled to appear as the inaugural musical guest for the June 1, 2009 premiere of “The Tonight Show With Conan O’Brien.” The band will perform songs from their upcoming studio album.

Conan O'Brien, the dominant late-night host at 12:35 a.m. (ET) for the past 14 seasons, will succeed Jay Leno as host of the preeminent series on late-night television, NBC's "The Tonight Show," on June 1, 2009.

Please check local listings for air details.

I haven't really heard any insight since last fall about their new album but I'm anticipating a solid follow up to "Pearl Jam."

A tour would be nice. :P

I haven't head much about the new record as of late either other than they're still working on it. I'd also love a tour but I'm really not sure if there's one in the works right now. If nothing else, I'd like to see them at the ACL Fest this year but right now that's pretty much out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...

PEARL JAM'S "FIXER" TO DEBUT IN TARGET AD?

pj_target_210x.jpg

On Thursday night, Pearl Jam played a secret gig at the Showbox in Seattle. According to various online reports, the performance was attended by 300 paid extras who signed up for a concert shoot by a mystery act. And while NDAs were signed and cellphones were banned, the secret reason for the show came out via blogs and Twitter: the famously anti-corporate rock band was licensing brand new song "The Fixer" to a Target commercial, directed by their old bud Cameron Crowe. Or at least that's what some attendees claimed on blog posts ... that have now been mysteriously deleted?

Click here to read the rest of the article.

• 3 months later...

Imagine my surprise when I walked into Target today to buy Backspacer and not a single copy was available. This, despite checking online for it's availability at this particular store beforehand and a huge display sign in the music section announcing it's September 20th release. When I asked around everyone (including the store manager) were completely clueless as to this "exclusive" and why it wasn't in stock. I phoned a nearby SuperTarget who did have copies on the shelves and the music guy there said there had been some confusion at some stores as whether or not to put it out today. With the amount of attention this release has received I was taken aback at how unprepared Target was. One of the ideas behind the entire "exclusive" is it would be for sale today, rather than Tuesday which is when most CDs, DVDs, etc. are scheduled for release. Someone dropped the ball big fuckin' time. Like many, I was weary when I heard that Pearl Jam were partnering with Target for this album (it was also available at indie stores but not Walmart or Best Buy) and this fiasco proves why. If I were Pearl Jam I'd be mightly pissed. All of that said, I was able to find and it indeed rocks, at least that's my impression after one listen.

It's very reassuring to see (through Pearl Jam's official messageboard) that the unavailability of Backspacer at Target stores on the 20th is not going unnoticed. The Pearl Jam fan community is organizing a list of reports showing just how many stores did not have it in stock this past Sunday. Hopefully both Pearl Jam and Target will learn a very valuable lesson from this. Pearl Jam, in the sense that they never should have trusted Target (despite the fact that they have a much better reputation among consumers than Walmart, Best Buy, etc.). And Target employees should have known to have the CD on store shelves on the 20th as they, themselves advertised. Afterall, it was part of the exclusivity of this promotion.

• 1 year later...

From Spinner.com:

Pearl Jam Celebrate 20th Birthday With New Live Album

by Carter Maness

eddie-vedder.jpg

Gareth Cattermole, Getty Images

Pearl Jam are celebrating their 20th anniversary and they plan to party the year away in style. On top of their new Sirius XM radio channel, the band recently announced that a brand new live album entitled 'Live on Ten Legs' will hit stores on Jan. 18. The title, which references Pearl Jam's debut LP, their first live album ('Live on Two Legs') and the beginning of their reign over modern rock, highlights the band's legendary touring prowess and penchant for wildly different live shows.

'Live on Ten Legs' features 18 Pearl Jam tracks recorded during the band's tours from 2003-2010 by longtime recording engineer John Burton. Fans will be happy to find rarities such as 'State of Love and Trust' and covers of artists such as Public Image Ltd. to Clash leader Joe Strummer. The band's engineer Brett Eliason has done a new mix on the tracks, which have also received a sparkling remastering job.

Continuing a streak of using different media to deliver their records to obsessive fans across the globe, Pearl Jam say that the album will be available through digital retailers, as well as CD, vinyl and a European-only version that includes a CD, double LP, four tour posters, five live photos and a tour laminate. Pre-orders for 'Live on Ten Legs' are currently up and running at the band's Ten Club website.

Ahhh!!! The first time i heard those Magical notes were when "Hunger Strike" of Temple of the Dog was released and i fell in love with both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden sound :D ....ahhh, those times, time passes so quickly.....20 Years!!!! Pearl Jam forever!!!!

• 6 months later...

From Paste:

Cameron Crowe's Pearl Jam Doc to Debut in September

crowe_pj_630_300x219.jpg

By Caitlin Peterkin

The Cameron Crowe-directed documentary about the Seattle grunge rockers, Pearl Jam Twenty, is set to release in select theaters in September.

A press release states that Pearl Jam Twenty “gives fans and audiences an intimate first glimpse into Pearl Jam’s journey culled from more than 1,200 hours of rarely and never-before-seen footage, over 24 hours of recent interviews with the band, as well as live footage of their spellbinding concert performances.”

The documentary “chronicles the years leading up to the band’s formation, the chaos that ensued soon-after being catapulted into superstardom, their step back from the spotlight…and the creation of a trusted circle that would surround them,” as well as “celebrates the freedom that allows the band to make music without losing themselves, their fans, or the music lovers they’d always been.”

The film comes as part of the 20th anniversary celebration of the band, who kicked off the year by releasing a live compilation album Live on Ten Legs, followed by expanded reissues of Vs. and Vitalogy in March. Pearl Jam will perform in Alpine Valley, Wisc., over Labor Day weekend, before heading on their ten-date Canadian tour.

After the theatrical release of Pearl Jam Twenty, the film will air on PBS in October before its DVD release at the end of the year.

Crowe, who has been a friend of the band since his days as a music journalist, said, “There is only one band of their generation for which a film like this could even be made, and I’m honored to be the one given the opportunity to make it.”

New interview with Eddie Vedder from Rolling Stone. I think this is my favorite part:

You've pulled out James Taylor covers at those shows.

I was always impressed by the amount of sound he could get out of a guitar, and the melodic lines he was drawing, like a surfer on a wave, were something to aspire to. At the same time I was listening to the Sex Pistols and the Clash, I'd still listen to James Taylor, or Rickie Lee Jones or Tom Waits.

Did you hide that side from your punk-rock friends?

Oh, I didn't give a shit at all. Punk rock is saying what you want and not giving a fuck.

Eddie Vedder on Pearl Jam's 20th

and His New Ukulele-Powered LP'

At first it was kind of a joke, and then it became a challenge'

main.jpg

Eddie Vedder performs on stage at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre on March 10, 2011 in Brisbane, Australia.

Bradley Kanaris/Getty

By BRIAN HIATT

"I don't want to jinx it," Eddie Vedder says from a Los Angeles studio, taking a break from recording Pearl Jam's 10th studio album, which is coming together faster than the band expected. "But it's on!" At the same time, he's preparing to release Ukulele Songs, a delicate solo LP played almost exclusively on the title instrument. "There's one song with a cello," he says. "I let that one in under the four-string rule." After hitting the road behind the album in June, Vedder has big plans to celebrate Pearl Jam's 20th birthday, including a band-curated concert in Wisconsin over Labor Day weekend and a Cameron Crowe documentary about the group's history that will premiere this fall.

To read the interview click here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From Uncut:

pearljam171106_W.jpg

Pearl Jam have unveiled the tracklisting for their 'Twenty' documentary soundtrack.

The compilation, which is split into two discs, features 15 live recordings on the first disc and a further 15 B-sides, demos and rarities on the second disc. It has been given a release date of September 19, the day before the documentary will be shown in cinemas across the country.

The film, which has been directed by Almost Famous man Cameron Crowe, has been cut from 1,200 hours of rare footage and features recent interviews with the band members and live concert clips.

A book, also called Pearl Jam Twenty, will be released on September 12. Compiled and written by Jonathan Cohen with Mark Wilkerson, the book includes a foreword by Cameron Crowe as well as interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and Dave Grohl.

The tracklisting for the 'Twenty Official Soundtrack' is as follows:

Pearl Jam Twenty (Disc One)

'Release'

'Alive'

'Garden'

'Why Go'

'Black'

'Blood'

'Last Exit'

'Not For You'

'Do The Evolution'

'Thumbing My Way'

'Crown Of Thorns'

'Let Me Sleep'

'Walk With Me'

'Just Breathe'

Disc Two (Rarities and Inspiration)

'Say Hello 2 Heaven'

'Times Of Trouble'

'Acoustic #1'

'It Ain’t Like That'

'Need To Know'

'Be Like Wind'

'Given To Fly'

'Nothing As It Seems' (Demo version)

'Nothing As It Seems' (Live version)

'Indifference'

'Of The Girl'

'Faithfull'

'Bu$hleaguer'

'Better Man'

'Rearviewmirror'

• 4 weeks later...

http://detnews.com/article/20110917/ENT02/109170301/1034/ent/Crowe--Vedder-talk-‘Pearl-Jam-Twenty’-film

Crowe, Vedder talk 'Pearl Jam Twenty' film

Jessica Letkemann/ Billboard.com

Love. Understanding. Commitment. Luck. Ask Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready how the band has managed to thrive for 20 years, and he'll tell you this is the recipe. Less than an hour after last weekend's premiere of Cameron Crowe's deep-diving doc chronicling the band's full history, "Pearl Jam Twenty," at the Toronto International Film Festival, the director and full band sat down with the press to discuss the film and to look back — and forward.

"I always felt the story of Pearl Jam was a great story," said Crowe, whose 1992 film "Singles" included the band as actors. "It takes the usual rock story and turns it on its head. The usual rock story is incredible promise, brilliance maybe, then tragedy cuts it short, and aren't we sad we've lost this wonderful opportunity. Pearl Jam is exactly the opposite. It's a tragedy that was surmounted and these guys found joy through survival."

"Whatever way we're doing it, it's still reaching out in the dark," front-man Eddie Vedder said, "But it seems to be working."

With "Pearl Jam Twenty," which will be in theaters for one night only on Tuesday, Crowe did not simply choose to move chronologically through the band's unlikely formation following the death of pre-PJ band Mother Love Bone's singer Andy Wood, how a tape of instrumentals became 1991's "Ten" when it found its way to a San Diego singer named Eddie Vedder, the glare of fame that grew brighter through the early '90s, the suicide of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain and the battle with Ticketmaster in 1994, the concert tragedy at Roskilde in Denmark in 2000, and the years of jubilant, epic live shows since.

Instead, Crowe tackles these things by interweaving glimpses from the present with the past and lets the band tell the tale. The narrative moves smoothly, but there is always a sense of the now mixed in, as a present-day Eddie Vedder tells his past self, "Be careful, young man." Perhaps unsurprisingly the music — particularly the many, many live moments — shines, especially from the montage of wild 1991-92 shows capturing Vedder swinging like Tarzan from venue ceilings, ledges and lighting rigs around the world, to video of Gossard and Vedder writing "Daughter" on a tour bus, to the joyful full-crowd singalong at a 2010 concert at New York's Madison Square Garden.

As evidenced by the film, fame burned almost too bright in the mid-'90s — but Vedder says it is the many fans who made their longevity possible.

"We're very grateful to the people who have listened to us over the years. It's a relationship. We couldn't do it with out them."

"I don't think we would have taken this thing on," Gossard said, "had it not been (for) Cameron being open to the task of looking through the footage and seeing if there's a story to be told. Once we knew that he was involved we trusted that it was going be OK."

Crowe had many moments he wanted to include in the film that he didn't think existed, but "the holy grail really was the piece of footage of Kurt Cobain and Eddie slow-dancing at the VMAs ... We did find that footage. And it's so powerful and it is such a human moment; it is what happens outside the glare of the spotlight. They were really in a blender of media explosiveness at that time, and here was this moment below the stage while Eric Clapton is playing tears in heaven where Kurt and Eddie got to be alone and kind of express themselves as people. The fact that it's on film is amazing."

"The first time I saw that footage it was incredibly emotional. Just because he's smiling, you just think that if he just could have pulled through," Vedder said. "That's the thing about today, maybe it's good that this movie happened now. We've been in appreciation mode of each other for quite some time ... You look at each other and all the crowd reaction or the family that is the people that come to see the shows ... it's really something to witness and in this case be reminded of it, so we can appreciate it even more and know that we have a really strong base to go the next 20 (years)."

Bassist Ament concurs that looking back has inspired new music. The band has debuted two new songs in the past week, an untitled acoustic ballad at Sept. 3-4's PJ20 festival, and rocker "Olı" on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" and at PJ20.com on Sept. 8. "Being in the middle of this," Ament says. "We only had a little bit of time off, a few weeks, but we carved out half that time to go into the studio and record some new songs ... It reminded us of the job at hand, where we're headed."

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived