Richard Zednik takes skate in throat at Panthers/Sabres game

Puck Slapping Maple Sucker

371-reg-1863143-1198486_embedded_pr.jpg

Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik underwent surgery to close a deep gash on the right side of his neck and was in stable condition Sunday night after he was cut by a teammate's skate during a game in Buffalo.

"The surgery was successful and he's resting comfortably in the hospital," Panthers spokesman Brian Goldman said.

Blood gushed from Zednik's neck after he was hurt midway through the third period of Buffalo's 5-3 victory, creating a frightening moment that delayed the game for about 15 minutes. There was also a brief discussion about postponing the game altogether.

Zednik was behind the play and skating into the right corner of the Sabres' zone, when teammate Olli Jokinen was upended by Sabres forward Clarke MacArthur. Jokinen fell head-first to the ice, and his right leg flew up and struck Zednik directly on the side of the neck...

Full Story

It's great to hear that he'll be alright and I was quite scared, because I watched and knew of Zednik since he was with my Habs for five seasons.

This is the third time this year that a player took a skate to the throat, but it never looked this bad since it happened to a Sabres goalie back in '89, which also took place in Buffalo...

images5Cmalarchuk2.jpg

Archived