33 Years since Flying Circus

pujols05

It was 33 years ago today that the boys delivered a show for the ages at Madison Square Garden in New York City. I got the audience show on cassette about 10 years ago, my first trade. Two or three years ago, I got Flying Circus on CD. Wow, did it sound good.

“We came four blocks in the snow, you realize that?”

Is there any question that this is one of the two or three best shows one could ever hope to find from Zeppelin? Maybe I’m biased, because the ’75 tour is my favorite, but this show is amazing. If only I had been there.

“It says ‘Happy Birthday, Abe.'”

I’ll admit that I could name “better” (meaning, I like them better) performances of each song from different shows in ‘75. For example, I think “IMTOD”, “TSRTS,” and “Rain Song” from the first Dallas show (March 4th) are better. “No Quarter” from the penultimate night at Earl’s Court is better, etc., etc. But this isn’t about individual songs.

“There’s a guy selling T-shirts there.”

When you combine the superb recording, with great performances across the board and a solid vibe, you end up with a concert recording that stands as a testament that, especially in 1975, Led Zeppelin had no equals.

“John Paul Jones, piano. Jimmy Page, electric guitar. Raymond Thomas, Jimmy Page’s road manager. Ian Knight, in charge of the smoke machine that didn’t work. Peter Grant, our manager. Everybody!”

Thirty-three years…thanks, guys.

It was 33 years ago today that the boys delivered a show for the ages at Madison Square Garden in New York City. I got the show on cassette about 10 years ago, my first trade. Two or three years ago, I got Flying Circus on CD. Wow.

“We came four blocks in the snow, you realize that?”

Is there any question that this is one of the two or three best shows one could ever hope to find from Zeppelin? Maybe I’m biased, because the ’75 tour is my favorite, but this show is amazing. If only I had been there.

“It says ‘Happy Birthday, Abe.'”

I’ll admit that I could name “better” (meaning, I like them better) performances of each song from different shows in ‘75. For example, I think “IMTOD”, “TSRTS,” and “Rain Song” from the first Dallas show (March 4th) are better. “No Quarter” from the penultimate night at Earl’s Court is better, etc., etc. But this isn’t about individual songs.

“There’s a guy selling T-shirts there.”

When you combine the superb recording, with great performances across the board and a solid vibe, you end up with a concert recording that stands as a testament that, especially in 1975, Led Zeppelin had no equals.

“John Paul Jones, piano. Jimmy Page, electric guitar. Raymond Thomas, Jimmy Page’s road manager. Ian Knight, in charge of the smoke machine that didn’t work. Peter Grant, our manager. Everybody!”

Thirty-three years…thanks, guys.

I just got my first copy of "Flying Circus" this past weekend. Excellent sounding. I was told this is from

the PA mix - that's why everything sounds like it's mixed in the middle.

This is one of my favorite shows. Quality recording, great musicianship. My only quip is Roberts voice. If it was it top form, what a superb performance it would have been. I have 2 versions. "Flying Circus" and "Four Blocks In The Snow". The later is the matrix and the former is the SB. Right now I can't tell the difference on my computer speakers. I have to compare the versions on my stereo. Matrix mixes rock!

Archived