Robert Plant interview with Esquire Magazine

You are, I believe, way off the mark. I honestly think Robert is very protective of Led Zeppelin and all it stands for. You only had to read the Uncut interview in September to know how highly he rates them (the best). The fact that he doesn't want to tour is not an indication that he has no idea of how Led Zeppelin means to many people - he is fully aware of that and he wants to keep the legacy intact. I can only applaud him for not chasing the easy money.

Why the hell should he? His current project with Alison has been in the making a lot longer than the O2 gig. How the hell do you think he feels when he's trying to promote an album and tour and he still gets the same questions about Zeppelin when that's obviously not where he wants to go?

Awww, poor Robert, he must be living a real fucking nightmare ....'that damn Zeppelin keeps coming up everytime I try to promote my new project'. Boo fucking hoo.

When I said that Plant doesn't seem to embrace Zeppelin the way Page or Jones do it wasn't because of Plants not wanting to tour, it is because of belittling comments like this:

"I thought: this is really cute, all these fucking old blokes huddled round John’s [bonham] son.”

"Cute"? What an asshole.

By the way, I personally feel that Zeppelin should never do a full scale tour, a few select dates here and there would be the better route.

Awww, poor Robert, he must be living a real fucking nightmare ....'that damn Zeppelin keeps coming up everytime I try to promote my new project'. Boo fucking hoo.

When I said that Plant doesn't seem to embrace Zeppelin the way Page or Jones do it wasn't because of Plants not wanting to tour, it is because of belittling comments like this:

"I thought: this is really cute, all these fucking old blokes huddled round John’s [bonham] son.”

"Cute"? What an asshole.

By the way, I personally feel that Zeppelin should never do a full scale tour, a few select dates here and there would be the better route.

You know, sometimes I bet that's exactly how he does feel, much as he loves Zeppelin, and what's more I don't blame him one bit. Nor do I consider him an asshole for seeing the humor in the fact that Zeppelin used to be Jason's age, and now they're the older generation in the band.

I am proud of him for following his muse-I am just mad at myself as I have to say, I don't enjoy "Raising Sand" a bit-thought I would, but I was disappointed-darn it! Hope he produces more with SS as that would be great-I found Raising Sand just really slow and dark-oh well, you cant win 'em all!

You know, sometimes I bet that's exactly how he does feel, much as he loves Zeppelin, and what's more I don't blame him one bit. Nor do I consider him an asshole for seeing the humor in the fact that Zeppelin used to be Jason's age, and now they're the older generation in the band.

Hey, I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I'm not really being serious when I called him an asshole either, he is by far my all time favorite singer, but I never quite trust what he has to say and he's often quite flippant where the others are more sincere.

I do respect where he's coming from, though. The fact is, Plant can do whatever the hell he wants.

Rock on, brother.

Hey, I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I'm not really being serious when I called him an asshole either, he is by far my all time favorite singer, but I never quite trust what he has to say and he's often quite flippant where the others are more sincere.

I do respect where he's coming from, though. The fact is, Plant can do whatever the hell he wants.

Rock on, brother.

I'm with you. I dont think he's an asshole for what he says, but his "humor" if you even want to call it that gets taken a little to far by him and a little too wierd.

For many people including myself, that night that he thought was cute all hurdled around Jason was very special for us. One of the very best nights of our lives. For him to put a kind of degrading spin on it is a bit out of line in my opinion.

I mean Page and Jones are themselves very protective of the Zep legacy just as much as Plant is --- but for some reason I can just see both of them rolling their eyes whenever Plant opens his mouth on the topic.

Degrading spin? That he's thinking what fun it is that it's a generation later, John's son is on drums, and the three of them are still hanging in there, "ancient" as they are? Did he say it wasn't special (there are numerous interviews where he's said how special it was)? He makes a gently humorous, self-deprecating comment, about the band he himself belongs to, and somehow that's out of line?

"I thought: this is really cute, all these fucking old blokes huddled round John’s [bonham] son.”"Cute"? What an asshole.

Just because Robert isn't necessarily overt about it does not mean he doesn't embrace Zeppelin and their legacy. And I didn't find that comment he made belittling but I guess it depends how you look at it.

Now that I agree with.....IF that's what they decide to do. :)

Couldn't disagree more my friend! I find the effort vibrant and moving. And no, they aren't doing the carnal thing. She's married with children. Anyway, we can agree to disagree on whether we like it. That doesn't mean we can't still be friends! Here's to you! :beer:

I think you are right.It is something that happens when you get a little older and are content with your lot.I'm sure Robert loves Alison and the feeling is maybe mutual, but it aint about sex anymore.To Robert, I think its about integrety in MUSIC.It's about a certain feeling you get when you take a real musical chance and blend two different styles together.(and to him it was a big thing, a watershed moment) He has learnt a new skill, and that has always been important to him.He is a fan of Alisons music.

Saying that however, I very much doubt that the fact that Alison is rather beautiful has entirely escaped his notice!.

Degrading spin? That he's thinking what fun it is that it's a generation later, John's son is on drums, and the three of them are still hanging in there, "ancient" as they are? Did he say it wasn't special (there are numerous interviews where he's said how special it was)? He makes a gently humorous, self-deprecating comment, about the band he himself belongs to, and somehow that's out of line?

its just that a lot of his comments over the years up until now make him seem like he believes he is "above" all the greatness that Zeppelin stands for. It's like whenever he's interviewed he makes a point to make a wierd joke about Zeppelin. Its seems like he is fine with belittling the band. Not that I dont applaud his musical explorations since Zep ended, but it just seems like doesnt realize that he is who he is because back in 1968 Page and Peter Grant chose him to be the vocalist for Led Zeppelin. Without that he would not be able to live half of the over-priveledged life that he has lived.

Dont get me wrong, I'm glad he's just not living off of the Zep legacy and exploiting Stairway every night --- I respect him for delving deep into so many different genres of music and continuously growing as a musician --- but some of his comments and his attitude rub me the wrong way. I dont believe I am alone and I have a feeling Page and JPJ feel the same way.

its just that a lot of his comments over the years up until now make him seem like he believes he is "above" all the greatness that Zeppelin stands for. It's like whenever he's interviewed he makes a point to make a wierd joke about Zeppelin. Its seems like he is fine with belittling the band. Not that I dont applaud his musical explorations since Zep ended, but it just seems like doesnt realize that he is who he is because back in 1968 Page and Peter Grant chose him to be the vocalist for Led Zeppelin. Without that he would not be able to live half of the over-priveledged life that he has lived.

Dont get me wrong, I'm glad he's just not living off of the Zep legacy and exploiting Stairway every night --- I respect him for delving deep into so many different genres of music and continuously growing as a musician --- but some of his comments and his attitude rub me the wrong way. I dont believe I am alone and I have a feeling Page and JPJ feel the same way.

But he's not belittling Zep at all. It's just he tries to take the focus to whatever it is he's working on at the moment. If you were there promoting a new album, would you want every question about your past? I think you're misinterpreting what Robert says as a put down and it's really not. My sense is he loved Zep and is very proud of the work they did. But it's over and he's concentrating on to other things.

I think you are right.It is something that happens when you get a little older and are content with your lot.I'm sure Robert loves Alison and the feeling is maybe mutual, but it aint about sex anymore.To Robert, I think its about integrety in MUSIC.It's about a certain feeling you get when you take a real musical chance and blend two different styles together.(and to him it was a big thing, a watershed moment) He has learnt a new skill, and that has always been important to him.He is a fan of Alisons music.

Saying that however, I very much doubt that the fact that Alison is rather beautiful has entirely escaped his notice!.

Well it is obvious that they are fond of one another and admire each other alot and have great chemistry. If it were anything romantic, they would never tell because they aren't the types that would say that publicly anyways since it would take away the attention that has been given to the CD and upcoming tour. We will never know since we don't know them personally or are around them 24/7 and they are private people. All I know is that I love the CD and glad he is having so much fun in his new musical endeavor. I am also looking forward to see what the future holds for Zeppelin. Wow, 2008 is going to be a great year for the RP and AK tour and all Zep fans alike!!!!

I'm with you. I dont think he's an asshole for what he says, but his "humor" if you even want to call it that gets taken a little to far by him and a little too wierd.

For many people including myself, that night that he thought was cute all hurdled around Jason was very special for us. One of the very best nights of our lives. For him to put a kind of degrading spin on it is a bit out of line in my opinion.I mean Page and Jones are themselves very protective of the Zep legacy just as much as Plant is --- but for some reason I can just see both of them rolling their eyes whenever Plant opens his mouth on the topic.

Oh Jeeez - you thought that night was more special to you than it was to him? Seriously?

ROFLMAO.

I don't really care what he does anyway.

I don't have any opinions as to who should play/sing with who, or when. I'm not them, so I don't know. What I do know is that Plant can be a little verbose and flippant sometimes. I can understand why, because people are always bugging him and pressuring him...but it is a little irritating. All I can say is he's still sexy, and he can do whatever he wants! :D

I don't have any opinions as to who should play/sing with who, or when. I'm not them, so I don't know. What I do know is that Plant can be a little verbose and flippant sometimes. I can understand why, because people are always bugging him and pressuring him...but it is a little irritating. All I can say is he's still sexy, and he can do whatever he wants! :D

As long as he leaves me out of it.

Archived