The Police Plot One More U.S. Tour

The Pagemeister

The Police Plot One More U.S. Tour, Then Retirement

18409169-18409170-slarge.jpg

The Police reunion tour will make one more trip through North America this summer before the band calls it quits again. As opposed to last year, the group will stick to amphitheaters and arenas without any any stadium or festival stops during the thirty-odd date trek in May and July (with a fifteen date run in Europe sandwiched into June). The band also promises to play U.S. cities that were skipped over when the band first reunited last May. According to sources close to the Police, Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers plan to hang up the handcuffs forever after their run concludes in July. The Police reunion tour is estimated to be one of the top five highest-grossing tours of all-time, with the net profit somewhere in the range of $340 million when all is said and done.

Question, and this is serious.... Why has the Police reunion such a big deal?

I get that they hated each other, and all that, but in the press, it's been the biggest reunion, in recent years, sans Zeppelin and Floyd. Am I missing something?

The drummer is awesome, but the same can't really be said for the other 2. They are solid, but, not near the top 10of their respective instruments.

Their music, while they have some pretty good songs, overall seems pretty bland, to me.

Is it b/c there is nothin else like them near the mainstream, or am I just missing the big picture?

The Police are a great band plain and simple.

The music was great and they were influential to many artists.

The musicianship is also quite high.

So this is the first time people have been able to see them on tour in 25 years.

That's why it is a big deal.

They have a box set containing all of their recordings, which is amazing.

Question, and this is serious.... Why has the Police reunion such a big deal?

I get that they hated each other, and all that, but in the press, it's been the biggest reunion, in recent years, sans Zeppelin and Floyd. Am I missing something?

The drummer is awesome, but the same can't really be said for the other 2. They are solid, but, not near the top 10of their respective instruments.

Their music, while they have some pretty good songs, overall seems pretty bland, to me.

Is it b/c there is nothin else like them near the mainstream, or am I just missing the big picture?

During their 5 or so year run, they got BIG quickly, then quit. So, anytime that happens, you know a reunion will also be big, even if it is not warranted. I saw them last year and all I have to say is - allow everyone to save their money and "hand in your handcuffs" now :blink:

Peace.

"Don't believe the lies, critically analyze." - John Butler

Well, The Police were a pretty huge band back, critically & commercially, in the late 70's/early 80's before they went their separate ways in '83. I never got a chance to see them back in the day. I always wanted to see them live but I didn't think they would reunite but they did.....24 years later. :D

Talk about never say never.

I had the opportunity to see them in Vegas last year; it was a great show. I am a Sting fan but I came away very impressed with Andy & Stewart's performance of that show.

I saw them once so I don't know that I will go see them again.

I was one of those that never got to see 'em back then but I blame that on lameass friends who didn't share my love of live music. These days I don't let a little thing like having no one to go with stand in the way of my live music fix. When the chance arose this time to see The Police I wasn't going to pass it up. Not sure I'd do it again though as $90 for seats in the nose bleed section is a bit too much. However I am glad I finally saw The Police in concert.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope they do one more tour of Europe.

I just rediscovered there great music, and cant get enough of there song called Synchronicity II. Especially the part when he sings "Many miles away something crawls to the surface of a dark Scottish loch". Great stuff!

Because Sting is a media darling/celebrity who waves the flag for many liberal causes.

I don't think that has anything to do with why the Police reunion tour is such a big deal. In fact, I can't think of a single "liberal cause" that has even been remotely associated with this tour. Back in the day The Police played shows like Live Aid and reunited for an Amnesty International concert but if those things helped to draw attention to things like world hunger and the plight of prisoners around the globe I don't see a damn thing the matter with it. I think the reunion is a "big deal" because The Police were one of the most successful bands of the late 70s and early 80s and rightfully so, their music stood out because it was very pioneering and innovative for it's time. None of that has a damn thing to do with "liberal causes".

The concerts themselves have been getting mostly crap reviews.

...and we all know how reliable reviews are. That said, Stewart Copeland even slammed their Bonnaroo appearance last year but the shows have vastlly improved since then. I can speak from my own personal experience having seen them in Charlotte last year. Even though Sting was suffering from the flu and had to cancel a Philly show just a few nights before they still put on a hell of a good show.

...and we all know how reliable reviews are. That said, Stewart Copeland even slammed their Bonnaroo appearance last year but the shows have vastlly improved since then. I can speak from my own personal experience having seen them in Charlotte last year. Even though Sting was suffering from the flu and had to cancel a Philly show just a few nights before they still put on a hell of a good show.

Poor reviews from critics and fans alike. In fairness, most of these which I saw relate

to the opening leg of the tour. One would hope they gelled as it went along. I've long

said Page/Plant's first leg in '95 (Feb-May) is nowhere near as powerful as their third

(Sep-Oct).

I have many Sting cds in my collection which I still enjoy and his talent is undeniable.

I'm sad to hear they didn't have it in them to record a new album. Victory laps like this are satisfying in the moment but kind of empty afterwards without something fresh to give you the sense that you are experiencing a living band rather than just a recreation. At least they mixed up the delivery of the songs a little bit, although I didn't go for every change they tried, and are making an honest effort for everyone who ever wanted to see them to get their chance.

I'm sad to hear they didn't have it in them to record a new album. Victory laps like this are satisfying in the moment but kind of empty afterwards without something fresh to give you the sense that you are experiencing a living band rather than just a recreation. At least they mixed up the delivery of the songs a little bit, although I didn't go for every change they tried, and are making an honest effort for everyone who ever wanted to see them to get their chance.

Better they retire now with no new material rather than continue to tour for 11 plus years as the Eagles did while banking on nothing but nostalgia.

Well i saw them once .They played at the Great Southern Music Hall in Orlando Fla on 5 may 79 two days after Roy Buchanan who played on the 3rd.There opening act was Oingo Boingo I was not at all impressed but i try to keep and open mind on new music and at the time both bands fit that catergory.Needless to say Compared to Roy Buchanan they were not verry good compared to Zep they dont register on the scale.Also saw the Moody Blues in Lakeland Fla on the 4th it was a benifit of a short lived shore duty with no duty while awaiting orders to my next Ship .Some times life is good.The Moody Blues were excellent by the way

lastscan-2.jpg

roybuchanan79.jpg

moodyblues79.jpg