Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts

Otto Masson

I liked the quaalude comic strip. :D

I didn't notice that at first. :lol: How ironic! I wasn't a pill popper but it was in the summer of '73 that someone (without my knowledge) slipped me a quaalude. I did end up like the girl in the comic strip. Once was more than enough.

Back in the early to mid 70s it was normal to have interesting drug comics and other assorted 'endorsing' comments made towards various substances...Most of the rock generation were well acquainted with them...and quite fond as well...

But now there are 'soccer moms' reading 'rock' publications and that stuff is all taboo. Matter of fact, many of those 'soccer moms' don't believe the life style was so pervasive back then.....

Times have changed. :(

Remember all of the ads for rolling papers in the magazines? As if the readers were rolling tobacco. Zig-zag, ez-wider, Rizla. The town next to us had a combination record store/head shop. No one batted an eye.

Another brilliant find Otto, thanks! :thumbsup:

I remember reading this interview on an old Geocities site containing other Zeppelin articles from Creem and Hit Parader, and your post inspired me to track the site down. Many of the links are now dead but there are still some that work. Might be worth taking a look:

http://www.geocities.com/brandyzep/zines.htm

Great link!

Otto! Thanks again for posting that article. It really evoked many memories for me!

Grinning at memories of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. :D And I was kind of inspired by Lisa Robinson's articles in Creem to major in Journalism....figured that was a more realistic way to meet Zep than to become a groupie. The thought processes of a silly 18-yr-old, eh?

BP_204.B.JPG

I had T-Shirt that had a Freewheelin' Frank struttin' his stuff on the front side, and on the backside of the T-Shirt, the LZ III back cover photo shot.

I remember picking up copies of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers while I was student in Austin from '73-'77 at the Head Shop "Oat Willies" -- Onward Through The Fog . . . :D

2008calendar_400x515.jpg

Yay for experiences !!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

We need to have us a good ole Texas get together !!!!

Sounds Great ! ! !

I'l be wearing this T-Shirt, that I just received in the mail today.

41PuXqdkg8L._AA280_.jpg

The original 1975 US Tour T-shirts, that were sold to the public at the concerts, were white.

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers! Oh man, how could I have forgotten them? (Wait, don't answer that...)

Man, I love you guys... B)

Edited to add - how times remain the same. Do see the headline there that says "Sly Stallone is Back!" :lol:

When I was 10 and discovered (and was utterly changed forever by) Led Zeppelin, my dad was a teacher at the local University. Which meant his son, yours truly, could basically go anywhere he pleased on campus. My favorite place was the periodicals room at the university library where they had all the Creem, Melody Maker, etc back issues. I spent endless hours in that room reading those articles! Thanks for letting me reminice Otto!! :beer:

Thanks Otto! Another big kiss for you. :)

Aww, thanks Kat. :D

What a pleasure to revisit the thread to find all this! :thumbsup:

I was an 8 year old Icelandic kid when that came out, and have this simply as a collector, so it's different for me, but great to see y'all start reminiscing. The Rover, - what a wonderful story. :beer:

I'm thinking Lisa Robinson had an impact of her own, and that's what I'm seeing in many of the responses here. Rolling Stone didn't get what was happening. But Lisa Robinson was there when Led Zeppelin grew from very big to totally ridiculous in 1973, and she wrote about it in Creem.

I must say though: no wonder the title has been memorable for many of you. It's damn provocative, and has a real ring to it. Simple, but effective. A good writer. :)

Aww, thanks Kat. :D

What a pleasure to revisit the thread to find all this! :thumbsup:

I was an 8 year old Icelandic kid when that came out, and have this simply as a collector, so it's different for me, but great to see y'all start reminiscing. The Rover, - what a wonderful story. :beer:

I'm thinking Lisa Robinson had an impact of her own, and that's what I'm seeing in many of the responses here. Rolling Stone didn't get what was happening. But Lisa Robinson was there when Led Zeppelin grew from very big to totally ridiculous in 1973, and she wrote about it in Creem.

I must say though: no wonder the title has been memorable for many of you. It's damn provocative, and has a real ring to it. Simple, but effective. A good writer. :)

Thanks for your response to our responses, Otto. I had visions of you sitting at your computer mumbling, "Those crazy old Americans..." or something like that. :lol:

I think that those of us who were Zep fans and around back in the day read Creem and we all had that issue. Seeing it again was like biting into a tea-soaked madeleine; it unleashed so many old memories of those times. Thank you for those scans.

Lisa Robinson absolutely understood Zep when the folks at RS (until Cameron came along) didn't. She had a rapport with the Zep guys that allowed her to pose seemingly simple questions and get in-depth answers from them.

btw, the title of the article comes from a book of short fiction by Donald Barthelme, "Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts", published in 1968. That in no way diminishes how appropriate that title was for an article about Zep, at the height of their "hammer of the gods" days, in 1973.

:beer:

Thanks for your response to our responses, Otto. I had visions of you sitting at your computer mumbling, "Those crazy old Americans..." or something like that. :lol:

I think that those of us who were Zep fans and around back in the day read Creem and we all had that issue. Seeing it again was like biting into a tea-soaked madeleine; it unleashed so many old memories of those times. Thank you for those scans.

Lisa Robinson absolutely understood Zep when the folks at RS (until Cameron came along) didn't. She had a rapport with the Zep guys that allowed her to pose seemingly simple questions and get in-depth answers from them.

btw, the title of the article comes from a book of short fiction by Donald Barthelme, "Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts", published in 1968. That in no way diminishes how appropriate that title was for an article about Zep, at the height of their "hammer of the gods" days, in 1973.

:beer:

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Archived