Rap artists receiving awards

JethroTull

Give me your non-opinion laced reason why it sucked and I'll agree. But looking at what you said, it is only opinion, and opinion is not fact. I don't like the movie, I watched it once and that was plenty enough for me, but I would never say a piece of art sucked because that would imply that it wasn't good, and good is only in the eye of the beholder. One person says it sucks does not make it so, but you can dislike it all you want.

Rap is a bit more competitive than any other genre. It's in the culture of the music. Think about the rap battles, where you try to beat someone else. It's a part of it.

Thank you for the only response that makes any sense. Most others posters to this topic had other agendas.

Give me your non-opinion laced reason why it sucked and I'll agree. But looking at what you said, it is only opinion, and opinion is not fact. I don't like the movie, I watched it once and that was plenty enough for me, but I would never say a piece of art sucked because that would imply that it wasn't good, and good is only in the eye of the beholder. One person says it sucks does not make it so, but you can dislike it all you want.

I did, it was a romance movie. Romance movies suck. That's a fact.

It's been my experience at classic rock oriented boards such as this that a lot (not all) fans aren't very forward thinking. They want all new bands to sound like Zep and/or they're stuck in the past and refuse to accept any new music. They also don't seem to be very accepting of any type of music outside of rock n' roll even though the members of the group they admire know no boundaries when it comes to the artists they admire themselves or are willing to work with (such as Page with Puff Daddy and Plant with Portishead and Alison Krauss). The funny thing is, many of the criticisms they level at rap are the very same things that could be said about rock n' roll (the violence, the girls, the opulence). They forget that rock n' roll itself was once considered a fad, rock records were burned, banned, etc. because of it's perceived detriment to society at large.

I was going to reply to this topic, but you just said what I wanted to say, and put it better than I would have.

Rap is a bit more competitive than any other genre. It's in the culture of the music. Think about the rap battles, where you try to beat someone else. It's a part of it. But that's fine with me. I'm not a big fan of rap, but I respect the fact that it does take some talent, regardless of what anyone says about it being talentless. I've had some people where you could just point at something like shoes and they'll start rapping about it, and it would sound good.

Point is, and I said this in the Foo Fighters thread, that it's all opinion, and you don't have to like it, that's cool, but one cannot simply say it sucks. I don't like the movie Titanic, but does it suck? Hardly...

I am not big on disagreeing with people but sampling rock songs takes verry little talent and pretty much anyone can walk around holding thier privates and say vile things. I would not want my children to hear.

Well, I wasn't entirely serious...which I realize wasn't obvious.

*Alright, so it's just opinion. But I hate romance films. How could anyone like Titanic?

I loved it because a) the special effects were pretty cool (for 1997, they've gotten better the last 10 years), b ) I was 15 when the movie came out and as a 15 year old the whole "Romeo and Juliet on a boat" appealed to me and c) I just thought it was a great movie.

I am not big on disagreeing with people but sampling rock songs takes verry little talent and pretty much anyone can walk around holding thier privates and say vile things. I would not want my children to hear.

As long as the artists who's songs are sampled are compensated for it, I see no harm in it. Even Zep stole from blues artists and refused to pay them any type of royalties for years. As for artists "holding their privates" and saying "vile things they wouldn't want their children to hear", neither of those are unique to rap.

Thank you for the only response that makes any sense. Most others posters to this topic had other agendas.

I know my response was based on pure entertainment. The Rap I like...I like ALOT ! Not only the groove, lyrics are always secondary to me in ANY genre, but the mix of sampling and use of real instruments. Plus when I do pay attention to the lyrics I often find them very funny...so..it's all about being ENTERTAINED. Whatever floats one's boat.

One aspect of rap's transformation/integration TRIP-HOP....I like very, very much ! So till you've heard it...you can't possibly diss it.

Oh and Kissandra...I agree with you about Titanic..I think it sucked too. I find very few 'romantic' movies appealing. I don't mind some romanticism mixed in occasionally...unless it's something like The Princess Bride (which is really a comedy)...but most pure romance flicks are a drag.

Like, "Squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg?" :o

You're looking at the negative aspects of it (which those that don't like something usually do). It didn't used to be that bad. At its purest, it's phenomenal how the really good rappers are amazing at improvisation. Granted, there are those that tend to follow a trend, but those are inconsequential. But the stuff that people still talk about (Biggie, Tupac, Jay-Z) is around for a reason. The cream rises to the top.

And I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm not a fan of rap (mainly because it annoys the crap out of me when people drive by bumping it) but I can recognize that indeed does take talent and the stuff that the GOOD ones do is truly brilliant. Just not my cup of tea. I don't own a single rap song (unless you count Weird Al's Couch Potato, a cover of Eminem's Lose Yourself).

I don't own a single rap song (unless you count Weird Al's Couch Potato, a cover of Eminem's Lose Yourself).

I own a 12" single of The Sugarhill Gangs "Rappers Delight". I also own a 7" single of the Aerosmith/Run DMC version of "Walk this Way". I also have some rap compilations that I robbed from Tower Records a few years ago.

I know very little about Rap, but there's no doubt that it is still a wildly popular genre.

I'm thinking it needs to evolve to another level to stay fresh and remain popular in the long-term, but then again, what do I know...

I will say though, on the rare occasions when I do listen to Rap, my guilty pleasure is some Snoop Dog B)

I know very little about Rap, but there's no doubt that it is still a wildly popular genre.

I'm thinking it needs to evolve to another level to stay fresh and remain popular in the long-term, but then again, what do I know...

I will say though, on the rare occasions when I do listen to Rap, my guilty pleasure is some Snoop Dog B)

I agree. By the way, is that the superhero from Pete & Pete as your avatar?

There was a evolution and an 'offshoot' of rap in the mid 90s. It was called Trip-Hop.

Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Morcheeba, Hooverphonic and others were part of this style. I happen to like it more that 'pure' rap, whatever that might mean....

Hows it going Joel? I heard one rap song ever that I liked by Eminem. dont know the name of it. Goes back a few yrs. I am over on the UFO thread trying to talk some fucking sense into some. Crack, Gulp, another Blue Moon bites the dust! :P

Hard to talk sense into folks here Rick. Just look at all the spats responses ! :lol:

Amazing. A breakdown of brain activity obviously.

I never liked Eminem at all. I'll check out that UFO thread, hard to imagine I'd read anything new though....And I won't bother sharing my story ! :shifty:

:lol:

Most of the rap today all sounds alike. It is too bad that Kanye West has the attitude about ONLY winning awards. That is so not cool!! Personally, I much prefer rap from back in the day like Grandmaster Flash, The Beastie Boys, Run DMC, LL Cool J, A Tribe Called Quest, Whodini, De La Soul, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Tone Loc, etc. My brother and I used to always watch Yo MTV Raps!! I also like Outkast, Dr Dre and Snoop Dog, Notorious BIG and Tupac. I thought back then it was all new and fun and a little more creative but these days or the stuff that gets promoted the most, not so much. It seems that everyone is rapping these days!

Archived