What Do You think they would have sounded like in the 80's?

The Bomber

Hey I love the 80's music!! I thought it was fun. Anyways, I think they would have sounded like they did on ITTOD with the blues thrown in of course, but still kicking everyone's ass!!!!! B)

Probably,they would be VERY rich as well,they'd probably all be billionaire's!And i do think Robert would have pursued a solo career though,much shorter though,it would be great if they were still playing,and what about 90's Zep?Something like P&P i'd guess. B)

I'd say the music would summon up more vivid mental pictures,LZ can do that,Kashmir has such a great ambience that i never listen to it without a bottle of water and Levee never fails to send me on a mad dash to the toilet,all that water!

Oh ,u god! Do you think they would have done power ballads!!??? I am freaking myself out, help me, Bomber. :'(

There there :console: they might have saved us from the monstrous ballads of bands like poison,they did Thank You right?Thats as close as it would ever be,the words What Is And What Should Never Be spring to mind though.

This always makes me physically ache,what would it be like?How would they sound?

IMHO They would have become heavier,funkier and rawer,they would be a sheer rush of super heavy blues rock,chunkier chords,heavier riffs,more detuned guitar parts,more jams,longer jams,shrieking to growling vocals,even louder drums,darker,funkier basslines,less solos,less studio overdubs,more stripped down raw power,stuff like When The Levee Breaks,but EVEN heavier!

I have made it my musical ambition to create such a band that would have been like my fantasy 80's Zeppelin,it's not going well though,i know a spectacular pianist (I believe keyboards would have featured prominently in 80's Zep in the style of Trampled Underfoot) but she's classical,she also does saxophone,i know a violinist,a bassist,no vocalists good enough and no drummers half good enough.I also know several immature or arrogant guitar players not suited to it and suck who i am far better than.

The fact that i know no drummers (Or no ones that i would give the title of musician to) is particularly distressing as Bonzo would have been almost the centre of new Zep and thats why his death meant that they couldn't go on musically even if they wanted to.

When I say i know no vocalists good i mean i have no vocalists with anywhere near the required vocal capacity,most of them are female which would not do as they would have to be very deep voice so i'll have to do it because i've had an almost comically deep voice since i was 12.

I know one very good bassist and myself on guitar and we can switch vocals around as he has a very good voice,now i have to recruit him.

What do you think?

I think you're Very impressed with yourself and the 80's were what they were and you seem to have spent the time telling everyone how GREAT you are in comparison meanwhile everybody else grew up.

Oh and by the way EVERY single Lame C,D,E to G guitarist who had a hit record in the 80's ... they are better than you because even though they may have been lame.. they did something with their time.. Just reading your post SCREAMS out that I'd take that guy from Poison in a band over you .. ROFL. Sorry man you write stuff like that what do you expect?

You think Page behaves that way? Hilarious my friend.. Funny stuff. Nothing better than the "Non Published" musician Snobbery.

oh and don't worry about the Zep of the 80's that never was... worry about the Bomber of 2008 .. the very best Bomber you can be.. and if it sounds a little like the CLASH.. man you're kicking ass .. if a sounds a little thompson twins.. hey it's lame but that can be kewl as well.. if it sounds a little suzanne vega.. who gives a flying crap...

Just do the very best with YOU that you can and don't worry about living up to some wacked out idea you have in your head that NOBODY matches up to or else you might spend another 18 years with crumpled up pages of nonsense.

Go look at "Wish you were Here" or "Money" by Floyd.. you think those songs are Musical masterpieces ? Or how about across the universe? No? why because they aren't heavy wailing and have very simple chord progressions? Dude ranch ... get back to earth..

It's about WHAT YOU DO.. not what you THINK SHOULD BE.

Great news!

My wonderful keyboard playing friend has agreed to join me on my musical quest,she's also a brilliant poet,we have made the band "Fork" (Long story,big in-joke,we do a cover of mack the knife called Mack The Fork as well) our first album/demo will be called "Greatest Hits",she is a brilliant lyricist and is being made a Led head by me,i'll tell you how this progresses.

So Before you ever have a single hit record. you're doing a greatest hits collection..

Slow down there Sylvester. Love the enthusiasm. Work on your material and get yourself a manager. Somebody a little older.. a little wiser.

Wish you the best of luck.. You've got the Ego but something tells me you're not really balanced <g>

I think you're Very impressed with yourself and the 80's were what they were and you seem to have spent the time telling everyone how GREAT you are in comparison meanwhile everybody else grew up.

Oh and by the way EVERY single Lame C,D,E to G guitarist who had a hit record in the 80's ... they are better than you because even though they may have been lame.. they did something with their time.. Just reading your post SCREAMS out that I'd take that guy from Poison in a band over you .. ROFL. Sorry man you write stuff like that what do you expect?

You think Page behaves that way? Hilarious my friend.. Funny stuff. Nothing better than the "Non Published" musician Snobbery.

oh and don't worry about the Zep of the 80's that never was... worry about the Bomber of 2008 .. the very best Bomber you can be.. and if it sounds a little like the CLASH.. man you're kicking ass .. if a sounds a little thompson twins.. hey it's lame but that can be kewl as well.. if it sounds a little suzanne vega.. who gives a flying crap...

Just do the very best with YOU that you can and don't worry about living up to some wacked out idea you have in your head that NOBODY matches up to or else you might spend another 18 years with crumpled up pages of nonsense.

Go look at "Wish you were Here" or "Money" by Floyd.. you think those songs are Musical masterpieces ? Or how about across the universe? No? why because they aren't heavy wailing and have very simple chord progressions? Dude ranch ... get back to earth..

It's about WHAT YOU DO.. not what you THINK SHOULD BE.

Floyd are easily my second fav band and i love prog rock,of course they are masterpieces,i just happen to think it's worth rocking out once in a while (Which Floyd were capable of) I'm using slide guitar and 50's rock songs based on 12-bar blues,little p

rog pieces,heavily influenced by Floyd,i just said that the basis of the band is a hard/blues rock band,i'm open to every style and i'm not going to go out there and be a Zep weirdo who disgraces their name,just the idea was a band something like that a little like that,and yes i love the clash as well,and i am focussing on exactly that,doing the best i can do,music is FUN!I play music for FUN,otherwise,what's the point?

So Before you ever have a single hit record. you're doing a greatest hits collection..

Slow down there Sylvester. Love the enthusiasm. Work on your material and get yourself a manager. Somebody a little older.. a little wiser.

Wish you the best of luck.. You've got the Ego but something tells me you're not really balanced <g>

That's a joke about the music industry being obsessed with singles,it's just a joke,nothing more.

Who's imbalanced here my insulting friend?

Call your collection whatever you want! It's about doing what you're inspired to do; not about hiring managers and agents because you have an idea that moves you.

Some people have never been inspired and don't understand-that is the danger of letting people in on your inspiration like this; half of them are too ignorant of the process to understand it but feel justified in critiquing your efforts-it takes NO effort to criticize!

Rock on!

Just be prepared to harden yourself if you're going to give people insight as to what you're doing....

Who's imbalanced here my insulting friend?

Call your collection whatever you want! It's about doing what you're inspired to do; not about hiring managers and agents because you have an idea that moves you.

Some people have never been inspired and don't understand-that is the danger of letting people in on your inspiration like this; half of them are too ignorant of the process to understand it but feel justified in critiquing your efforts-it takes NO effort to criticize!

Rock on!

Just be prepared to harden yourself if you're going to give people insight as to what you're doing....

Thanks pop! :beer: I just think that i should at least be able to deal with one as you put it,ignorant critic,i'll just take that in my stride and keep on playing,music is fun,i do it for fun and unless you at least take a chance and pick up a guitar then you're going to stay safe in your cocoon,talking about it.

And i'd like to at least have the benefit of the internet to bounce my ideas off friends,i'll give our friend here the benefit of the doubt,he either misunderstood me or was just giving a critical take on my posting,no hard feelings,so i have been inspired by my post-zeppelinite theory to not copy them,but rather progress on myown theory,without the heavy drug use (Never had 'em,probably never will) and use some originality and influences from other bands.

So i'm ok pop,no hard feelings or anything,and thanks B)

Yeah, I didn't think you were arrogant- just enthusiastic! And that's great. Do what you love, get your inspiration anywhere you find it and do whatever the hell you want with it!

Thanks Suz!Gotta take criticism well,Zep were hated by critics originally,Floyd was instrumental masturbation at first!The list of great bands written off by the critics is endless,he was just giving his view,I'll tell you how it works out.

Page would have kept the rock rock. Plant would have put in his musical interests. Jones would have weaved it together. Bonham would have kept on being thunderous. Each album would have continued to be as different from the previous one with musical genres blended into the sound of Led Zeppelin.

I always thought ITTOD had way too much synth and was a lousy way to go out. Who knows what the 80's would have brought. Hopefully no keytar. Guitar shops almost went out of business in the 80's.

AAAHHH! Thanks to you, I ALMOST forgot about keytars! :hysterical:

I loved In Through the Out Door. I thought it had a new kind of "European" kind of sound for lack of a better term.

Robert's first few solo albums were pretty good and some of Jimmy's early solo stuff was good so I imagine a mix of that kind of stuff with John Paul's keyboard ideas and the mighty Bonzo and a great bunch of music we couldn't even imagine on top of it all.....

Page would have kept the rock rock. Plant would have put in his musical interests. Jones would have weaved it together. Bonham would have kept on being thunderous. Each album would have continued to be as different from the previous one with musical genres blended into the sound of Led Zeppelin.

Oh definately,and yeah,i don't have a better way to describe ITTOD than "European",maybe the keytar would have been stopped by LZ :( Robert's solo stuff in the early years was great,and would have fitted well with Jimmy's stuff i.e. The Firm and solo,and JPJ's solo career was brill,it would be a wonderful combination of the 3 solo careers,Zep and Bonzo.

P.S. ITTOD was great,but worst album in their lifetime.

Hey I love the 80's music!! I thought it was fun. Anyways, I think they would have sounded like they did on ITTOD with the blues thrown in of course, but still kicking everyone's ass!!!!! B)

Not all the 80s music.....I would cancel the YMCA-oriented disco-duck crap out of the 80s....good riddance!! :) :) :)

They always brought out the best in each other; they could (and did) play any style and make it cool.

Picture some of Robert's early solo stuff with Jimmy and some of Jimmy's solo stuff with Robert and the boys and even their trips to the hair metal style later in the decade (which is when I completely gave up on them) would have worked with each other as it failed individually. They just gave that 'Zep'ness to everything that made it work, so I think you could imagine that.......and then of course throw in some stuff we could never have imagined.....

I always thought ITTOD had way too much synth and was a lousy way to go out. Who knows what the 80's would have brought. Hopefully no keytar. Guitar shops almost went out of business in the 80's.

They should have found a way to cram the last 3 songs (Ozone Baby, Darlene, Wearing and Tearing) from that session onto the LP since none of them had synth in them and would have balanced it out some more.

Archived