The Man Thread

Dzldoc

Ok, so Valentines Day is over.

I've noticed there are a lot of threads geared towards the ladies ie: Hot pics of the band, Jimmie's pants, Robert's pants etc...

So here's my proposal, us guy's can use this thread to talk about Man stuff.

Fishing, Hunting, Beer, Cars/Trucks, Sports, Beer, Women, Projects around the house,

Did I mention Beer? No Politics or Religion that tends to screw things up. No pissn' and moaning about our women, we'll keep that in the relationship thread although funny anticdotes are acceptable.

Ladies I don't want you to think I'm a chauvinist, so ya'll are invited to chime in though some of you may find the subjects boring.

So I will start this off with a fishing story. My dad and I were out one day trawling for shrimp in an area called Bayou St. Denis about 12 mi south of Jean Laffitte just north of Barataria Bay. When we hauled in our net to empty we realised there was something really big in the trawl, it was a six foot alligator gar ( see pic below ) well there was no way to get this guy out of the net without risking losing a finger or hand so I took out a razor sharp survival knife and tried to stab it "plink plink" that wasn't going to happen they have an armor like skin similar to an armadillo. Hmmm?

I thought maybe I can knock him out and then we could shake him out of the net and wouldn't have to kill it, so I picked up an oar and started smacking the hell out of it

after about the fourth or fifth smack, get this! the damned thing rolled his eye up at me and Growled! like an angry dog! this is a true story my dad and I looked at each other :blink::blink: Well we had no choice time was money so I pulled out my 25 semi and shot it three times and we rolled that monster over the side. On a side note, I didn't think about it till later there were two guys in a flat boat fishing about three hundred yards away and they pulled their lines up and scooted off. I wonder if they thought we just offed somebody and threw'em in the bayou "Pop Pop Pop Spaloooosh!" :lol:

For Repesentative purposes only ours was a little smaller than this one

gar3.jpg

P1010004.jpg

This might be a dumb question, but I'm curious, what do you do with that after you've caught it? Eat it? Make boots out of it? Put it up on the wall?!

Name: Gar Balls Description:

Ingredients: Deboned gar meat free of gelatinous tissue.

boiled potatoes. ( pound for pound of gar meat )

green onion tops, finely chopped. 1/2 cup/

1lb. corn flour, not corn meal or white flour

Crawfish boil. Premixed type such as Zatarans.

Add no other seasoning as the crawfish boil will supply the seasoning.

Use the real spicy suggestions in the instructions. Directions: wrap gar meat in cheese cloth and boil exactly as you would crabs or crawfish. This renders the gar meat snow white and taste like lump white crab meat. Combine the gar meat,shallots, and potatoes. Mash this mixture until you are able to form patties. Dip firm patties in egg/milk mixture then dredge in corn flour. Deep fry at 350 for approx. 8-10 minutes. Serve with cold beer ! Oven Temp:

Created By: Capt. Bill Griffith

Name: Gar Balls Description:

Ingredients: Deboned gar meat free of gelatinous tissue.

boiled potatoes. ( pound for pound of gar meat )

green onion tops, finely chopped. 1/2 cup/

1lb. corn flour, not corn meal or white flour

Crawfish boil. Premixed type such as Zatarans.

Add no other seasoning as the crawfish boil will supply the seasoning.

Use the real spicy suggestions in the instructions. Directions: wrap gar meat in cheese cloth and boil exactly as you would crabs or crawfish. This renders the gar meat snow white and taste like lump white crab meat. Combine the gar meat,shallots, and potatoes. Mash this mixture until you are able to form patties. Dip firm patties in egg/milk mixture then dredge in corn flour. Deep fry at 350 for approx. 8-10 minutes. Serve with cold beer ! Oven Temp:

Created By: Capt. Bill Griffith

Thank you very much for the explanation. I don't think I'll be trying that any time soon, though!

gar3.jpg

I saw a show on Discovery or A&E where they hunt 'Monsters' well this episode was on this fish. These guys are nasty and get really big. That is a great story Dzldoc!

Ok, so Valentines Day is over.

I've noticed there are a lot of threads geared towards the ladies ie: Hot pics of the band, Jimmie's pants, Robert's pants etc...

So here's my proposal, us guy's can use this thread to talk about Man stuff.

Fishing, Hunting, Beer, Cars/Trucks, Sports, Beer, Women, Projects around the house,

Did I mention Beer? No Politics or Religion that tends to screw things up. No pissn' and moaning about our women, we'll keep that in the relationship thread although funny anticdotes are acceptable.

Ladies I don't want you to think I'm a chauvinist, so ya'll are invited to chime in though some of you may find the subjects boring.

So I will start this off with a fishing story. My dad and I were out one day trawling for shrimp in an area called Bayou St. Denis about 12 mi south of Jean Laffitte just north of Barataria Bay. When we hauled in our net to empty we realised there was something really big in the trawl, it was a six foot alligator gar ( see pic below ) well there was no way to get this guy out of the net without risking losing a finger or hand so I took out a razor sharp survival knife and tried to stab it "plink plink" that wasn't going to happen they have an armor like skin similar to an armadillo. Hmmm?

I thought maybe I can knock him out and then we could shake him out of the net and wouldn't have to kill it, so I picked up an oar and started smacking the hell out of it

after about the fourth or fifth smack, get this! the damned thing rolled his eye up at me and Growled! like an angry dog! this is a true story my dad and I looked at each other :blink::blink: Well we had no choice time was money so I pulled out my 25 semi and shot it three times and we rolled that monster over the side. On a side note, I didn't think about it till later there were two guys in a flat boat fishing about three hundred yards away and they pulled their lines up and scooted off. I wonder if they thought we just offed somebody and threw'em in the bayou "Pop Pop Pop Spaloooosh!" :lol:

gar3.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Alligator Gar is a bad fish

Biggest thing I ever pulled out of the water was a 4 foot shovelhead(like a hammerhead but the front of it's head is rounded like a shovel)shark off a pier in Daytona Florida. It was pissed off and flopping around and it made barking/growling noises too. I had no idea what to do with it so I cut the line and kicked it over the rail back into the water...ironic thing is I was using cut up shrimp for bait because I really didn't want to catch anything big. I had never fished in the ocean before

Being a fisherman myself in the old days, and being a northerner from cold weather (most of my fishing done in the St Lawrence River) I have never seen one of these. I assume if you were in the water one of these would attack and perhaps kill you? Or are they not aggresive? How do you get shriimp? Do you just net them in shallow water?

well, people were surfing about 200 yards away so I assume they aren't aggressive. I bought the shrimp from the bait shop on the pier where I rented the pole. I was on the road with a band at the time and it was the first time I had ever even seen the ocean...I live in the desert. There is some fishing locally, several lakes & rivers within a few hours drive, and closer to home the irrigation canals are full of crayfish...just tie a raw chicken wing or something to a ball of nylon twine and throw it in the water, pull it out 10 minutes later and it'll be covered with crayfish, shake them off into a bucket and throw the bait back in the water until it's picked clean, no hooks, lures, etc...find a good spot and you can fill a bucket in a few hours(just don't let the game wardens or ranchers catch you!)

Are these good eatin? The crayfish? What do you do boil them and dip in butter like Lobster? You can get your own shrimp there cant you? Net them somehow? Or do you have to use bait to get them? I know nothing about the South. And by the ocean you must mean the Gulf of Mexico?

crayfish are delicous, boiled or steamed..butter optional. No I mean the Atlantic Ocean. I don't know a thing about catching shrimp apart from what I learned watching forrest gump. Most of my time in Florida was spent chasing girls!, although I did try to go deep sea fishing once..spent 200 bucks to puke over the side of the boat for 4 hours and never even got a line in the water(had never been on a boat either)

I once caught a Northern Pike with a gummy worm. At least, I think that's what my friend said it was. I didn't really want to catch anything, and I didn't really want to touch a worm, so I thought, well, if I put a candy on the hook I won't catch anything. But I did. But I felt bad, so I put it back in the water.

:P

:P Too much to drink first I assume? Sounds like something I would do. I love the water though. Could never live in a desert. My chasin girls days are over too as Im remarried. Ah the thrill of the chase though! Now its even easier with this internet dating thing. I had a couple of blind dates-disasters. Had to sit through the dinner knowing it would go no further and I would have to pay the bill anyway. Not that Im cheap, dont get the wrong idea. Why would a game warden care about crayfish? I assume there is a season and a limit? Thanks for the info

No I was horribly seasick. The canals tend to be on either state-owned or private property, and I assume that's the problem with it(unless of course it's your property!)...I'm not sure exactly why but (it's never happened to me personally) I have heard of people having to pay fines for catching crayfish that way..maybe they consider it poaching, I don't know

Being a fisherman myself in the old days, and being a northerner from cold weather (most of my fishing done in the St Lawrence River) I have never seen one of these. I assume if you were in the water one of these would attack and perhaps kill you? Or are they not aggresive? How do you get shriimp? Do you just net them in shallow water?

Danger to Humans

Due to its large size and sharp teeth, the alligator gar is capable of delivering a serious bite wound to fisherman or swimmers. However, there is no documentation of attacks on man by alligator gars. The eggs are poisonous, causing illness if consumed by humans.

Shrimp?

30 ft Lafitte skiff 50ft trawl or 12' x 16' skimmers inland water ways, bayou , ships channel or just off the beach. Night or day time depends on the tide tables and which season.

p1200223606036433.jpg

p1200223551522774.jpg

p1200223522748899.jpg

crayfish are delicous, boiled or steamed..butter optional. No I mean the Atlantic Ocean. I don't know a thing about catching shrimp apart from what I learned watching forrest gump. Most of my time in Florida was spent chasing girls!, although I did try to go deep sea fishing once..spent 200 bucks to puke over the side of the boat for 4 hours and never even got a line in the water(had never been on a boat either)

Ahem! it's Crawfish :D and I used to prefer chasing girls with crawfish

food10.jpg

food9.jpg

gals.jpg

Hey men,

When you're welding that 15in SS sch120 pipe to a Long Radius Elbow in a 6G position. Do you Pefer the SMAW or TiG.

Ill hang up and listen to my answer.

Hmmm been a long time? Shielded Metal Arc or Tungsten Inert Gas? I'm thinking Tig it's cleaner. Sch 120? what this a steam line?

I once caught a Northern Pike with a gummy worm. At least, I think that's what my friend said it was. I didn't really want to catch anything, and I didn't really want to touch a worm, so I thought, well, if I put a candy on the hook I won't catch anything. But I did. But I felt bad, so I put it back in the water.

Actually, putting it back into water with an open wound in the mouth might not be exactly a merciful solution

Archived