The Man Thread

Dzldoc

So, having psychology and sociology degrees, this kind of interested me. Here are 2 lists of personality characteristics.

If you have 4 or more of these...

-neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family

-almost always chooses solitary activities

-has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person

-takes pleasure in few, if any, activities

-lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives

-appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others

-shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity

OR, you have 4 or more of these (same thing, just a different list of characteristics)

-Emotional coldness, detachment or reduced affection.

-Limited capacity to express either positive or negative emotions towards others.

-Consistent preference for solitary activities.

-Very few (if any) close friends or relationships, and a lack of desire for such.

-Indifference to either praise or criticism.

-Taking pleasure in few, if any, activities.

-Indifference to social norms and conventions.

-Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection.

-Lack of desire for sexual experiences with another person

Anyone relate?

Back to man-thread-ish-ness...

sawz alls.

tell me about them

I want one for various stupid things that need to be done around the house.

A cordless one is nice and you don't need to deal with an extension, on the other hand there were a few times I would have liked to have had a corded one with the rotating head. Go with a name brand quality one in any case the extra money is well worth it.

Back to man-thread-ish-ness...

sawz alls.

tell me about them

I want one for various stupid things that need to be done around the house.

You need real good leverage to work with a reciprocating saw. Usually they are for either construction or demolition. Is tough to get one to work if you are cutting at a weird angle or the cutting requires a delicate touch. What exactly do you need to cut?

Chances are a jigsaw or a core drill are a better bet for most things that need to be done around the house.

Our fence gates need trimming. We can't open and close them because it is sagging. We have talked about getting a sawz all for that reason.

We have many other uses for one, too, but I'm not quite sure what it is at the moment.

We've got other saws around.

Beleive it or not, I know my way around the Home Depot and Sears tool departments.

I'm proud to say that I'm able to fix as many things around the house as Dave is. Which is good since he's going to be deployed AGAIN this summer.

Our fence gates need trimming. We can't open and close them because it is sagging. We have talked about getting a sawz all for that reason.

We have many other uses for one, too, but I'm not quite sure what it is at the moment.

We've got other saws around.

Beleive it or not, I know my way around the Home Depot and Sears tool departments.

I'm proud to say that I'm able to fix as many things around the house as Dave is. Which is good since he's going to be deployed AGAIN this summer.

Is it possible to fix the sag in your gate without trimming ? If not, a skill saw would probably be what you need

We need to rebuild our fence is how the sag can be fixed. But with me not working much (because of my student teaching at school), we can't afford to rebuild the fence. I am hoping that we will be able to do that next summer, when I've got a good full-time job again.

We've got a skill saw.

We need to rebuild our fence is how the sag can be fixed. But with me not working much (because of my student teaching at school), we can't afford to rebuild the fence. I am hoping that we will be able to do that next summer, when I've got a good full-time job again.

We've got a skill saw.

If it's just a couple of boards then even a hand saw would do. You can still buy that reciprocating saw though Mandy. ;)

LOL

We have a few hand saws, too. I know how to use that, too. :D

It's the entire bottom of all of the gates. The grass gets torn up every time we open the stupid gates. I have to open the gates to mow the lawn--there's no way to get the mower into the back yard otherwise.

Stupid old fence. <_<

LOL

We have a few hand saws, too. I know how to use that, too. :D

It's the entire bottom of all of the gates. The grass gets torn up every time we open the stupid gates. I have to open the gates to mow the lawn--there's no way to get the mower into the back yard otherwise.

Stupid old fence. <_<

Then skill saw it is. I know it's a pain in the ass but I would take the gates off. If that isn't possible, be careful

You need to work on fixing the man, not the gate. And if you cut the bottom, it will just keep sagging further - and you'll keep cutting until you have a triangle. Secure the post on the hinge side, to be perpendicular to the ground - if it's loose. It may be rotted underground, but could be salvaged with a metal post driven in next to it. Milwaukee saws-all is the best, 120 volt, no batteries - if you gotta get one. Good luck on both issues...

LOL

Fixing the man...that's not what I'm going to do.

I'm not here to "fix" him. :P

Trimming off the bottom would be a temporary fix until we can afford to put a new fence up. We're planning on doing that next summer. But then again, we have been saying "next summer" for three summers now... :unsure:

Have you tried a gate repair kit? It's usually two square brackets and a cable. You attatch one bracket to the top corner next to the hinge, the other bracket is at the opposite corner on the bottom. The cable is attached to the brackets and tightened. That should lift the sag.

You would not be willing to trade your fix-it services for say, some homemade lasagna, or perhaps some apple pie or a plate of cookies? How about a backrub and some genuine appreciation?

You see, that is how the world works. It's a give and take. Not everyone can know how to do everything! So you barter with each other.

Cooking for me is not something i really care about. I don't really like being mothered. I am a very independant person. So her cooking for me wouldn't really do anything for me. What do you mean by "genuine appreciation"?? Sex?

Seriously.

You. Stupid. Ass.

spats!

I do the housework and he fixes shit.

I'm NOT going to wash and dry his underwear and mow the lawn, weed the garden, vacuum the carpets and FIX SHIT!

WTF?

No wonder why you're having issues getting laid, buddy.

I am not into stereotypical gender roles. Like the woman does the housework and the guy fixes stuff. I am not old fashioned. I can wash my own underwear. I am not messy so there isn't much housework to do. And i live in an apartment so there is no garden to weed or lawn to mow and i don't have carpeting. So there wouldn't be much for the woman to do if she lived with me. She would have it pretty damn easy.

Have you tried a gate repair kit? It's usually two square brackets and a cable. You attatch one bracket to the top corner next to the hinge, the other bracket is at the opposite corner on the bottom. The cable is attached to the brackets and tightened. That should lift the sag.

I may check into that...an easier fix...

overall though, I still think the boards are too close to the ground, even when I hold the gate up so that it's parallel to the ground.

Jesus.

Leave it to spats for f-up the man thread.

No, spats, Dave doesn't "make me do" woman work. I do it because that's our agreement. I do the housework--because he does other things that is sufficient for him pulling his weight around here. Like making the mortgage payment and paying the power bill.

Now I'm done talking to you about it because I don't want you to overrun this thread, too. (Don't bother asking me why I think you overrun all the threads you post in. I'm done. As in fed up with your bullshit.)

Cooking for me is not something i really care about. I don't really like being mothered. I am a very independant person. So her cooking for me wouldn't really do anything for me. What do you mean by "genuine appreciation"?? Sex?

I don't think I've EVER in my life, met a guy who would turn down baked goods. :blink: It's not even about "being mothered", its about FOOD. What kind of person doesn't enjoy good food?

The gate repair kit is an excellent Idea, it has a turnbuckle on the cable and it will draw the gate up. Then if needed you could trench out the area in the gates swing path a little to make up any difference.

I don't think I've EVER in my life, met a guy who would turn down baked goods. :blink: It's not even about "being mothered", its about FOOD. What kind of person doesn't enjoy good food?

Well for the most part i have never really had a woman cook for me. Most of the women i dated weren't really into cooking. Never been a big deal to me. I usually just heat stuff up like kraft dinner, order in pizza or go out to eat at fast food places.

Archived