Jimmy versus Jimi

Evster2012

what i want to know is why isle of wight was officially released? it's such a dreadful performance. i don't care that it was professionally filmed and recorded, it's crap! if zep ever released the seattle '77 show officially, then we could compare crap to crap, huh?!

what i want to know is why isle of wight was officially released? it's such a dreadful performance. i don't care that it was professionally filmed and recorded, it's crap! if zep ever released the seattle '77 show officially, then we could compare crap to crap, huh?!

I know what you mean. I bought the DVD, not knowing anything about the performance before hand, other than it was (almost) complete. I popped it in, trying to show some people that Jimi was the best guitarist in the world, and what do I get? Equipment problems, radio interference, Jimi looking completely pissed off half the time, Jimi thinking he split his pants, Jimi stopping songs and just letting Mitchell play while arguing with the sound people, etc. Needless to say, I was kinda disappointed. Although now that I know what Jimi was going through at the time, I can see why the performance what it was.

Jimi was an awesome guitar player who could've done so much more had he not left us. Although I worship Page, I always admire Hendrix for what he did in his short lifespan.

As was said, they have different styles. Jimi seemed to just let his music flow from some different THING, whatever that was. Jimmy is more of an intellectual type of player, even in his moments where he's letting go and improvising, he knows exactly what he's doing.

In short, Hendrix was the shaman, Page the mad scientist. And it made for some bitchin' music.

i worship jimi and jimmy. when i hear most jimi bootlegs, man - he's so fluid and creative.

i think jimi at his peak in a guitar duel onstage with jimmy at his peak (europe 73?) would be pretty intense but i might have to go with jimi.

jimi during europe '70 versus jimmy '70 - i might have to go with jimmy.

B)

Just watched the Isle of Wight.

Maybe Hendrix changed the approach to the guitar in 1966/67, but clearly by 1970 Jimmy Page was running circles around him. I just watched it, and I Can't Quit You Babe had tons more fire and licks than Red House ever did.

Go ahead, rip me to shreds. :beer:

i cant believe that pagey & hendrix never saw each other ? i want to go back in time and be at the marquee club the night Bonham,Hendrix ,Ronny Wood (on bass) & Steve Winwood (keys) jammed for four hours

........jerry.....?.....

I've been a huge Deadhead since the mid eighties but I never thought of jerr as quite the virtuoso that the Jimmies were.....they were all three on such different trips and Jerry was like the antithesis of their style of playing. Jerry was a social, spiritual, musical phenomenon that played with great humility to allow his audience to be part of the musical creation while the jimmies were showmen who went over the top with their performance to amaze their audiences-different trips....but all magical which is what I enjoy the most and what sets them apart from most other guitar players.

Jimi was a groundbreaker to be sure and probably the most imitated guitarist ever...while Jimmy remains somehow more elusive and perhaps himself benefited from Jimi's earth shattering form of guitar playing; before him guitarists played much more as if just another section of the orchestra so to speak.

Personally I love Jimmy more but who knows what Jimi would have come up with if he didn't finish so soon. From what I understand he was dissatisfied with the role he had come to fill with his playing and wanted to expand far outside of the niche he was in but felt he would not have the opportunity to do so. It would have been great to see what he would have done if he had the chance.

Jimmy had the chance so we saw(see) his greatness but surely we can also appreciate that he fortunately had a great band to realize his dreams. The unfortunate part is that he obviously finds all other combinations of musicians to be so far below what he had that he doesn't feel the inspiration to continue....who can blame him?

My God Jimi is the most overrated guitarist of all time!I love the man to bits but he has NO artistic integrity,everyone whines that "He was exploited!" but Page never let himself be exploited,he picked his friends better and didn't destroy himself with drugs like Jimi did,well,he teetered on the edge but he could control himself!And if Jimi's gonna get bad friends and overdose EVEN MORE than Page and be exploited and leeched off while Page is kept safe and warm by Peter Grant then there's nothing we can do.

And let me address the ridiculous misconception that Jimi was a "Great blues guitarist" :huh: He got barely any influence from the past,he looked up to his peers,Bob Dylan,Eric Clapton,and other such artists,he played bluesy,psychedelic rock,not the romanticized beautiful blues that people believe he played,he was mainly a psychedelic player who could riff out a hell-rising blues jam,but he's not the kind of guy who would stay at home,pouring over blues records like his white friends,he was far more interested in R & B,A noble cause yes,but he would have admitted he's more R & B than straight up blues.

While both innovators,jimi didn't play accoustic.

Page could play any style you want.

The reason everyone loves jimi is that he was best when the critics were growing up and they'll never except anyone after him,like the way the beatles will forever be loved.

OK,Jimi's 2nd best ever,but damnit show me a song he did that's half as technically,emotionally and aurally amazing as STH or ALS and then come back to me,when i hear the multi-tracked guitar part near the end of ALS i get shivers down my spine,it feels like 4 mere mortals jamming and somehow reaching for the supernatural and immortal,and while ALS touches into the mystic,STH is mystic throughout,and Kashmir generates mental images so strong that i never listen to it without a bottle of water,Jimi had no epic songs.

That live version of "Red House" from Randalls' Island may be favorite live recording of all time!

Really, I don't see comparing Page & Hendrixs' recorded output as fair to either of them. When Hendrix was recording something as brilliant as "Voodoo Child", Page was doing pop jingles with the Yardbirds like "Ha Ha Said The Clown". It wasn't like Page became this amazing talent a year later, he just had better musicians to bounce ideas off of & creative control. Hendrix by 70' had gone through various lineups to see what musicians he could play with that could really inspire him, & with the exception of Mitchell, he never really found that. I think what it comes down to is that Hendrix was the superior guitarist but Page was the master producer, putting all the elements at his disposale to his greatest use.

I think you are confused Manfred Mann did Ha Ha Said The Clown.

What do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?

The lead singer :D

You obviously know nothing about Robert Plant.

On the liner notes he is credited with playing bass and harmonica.

And for the record its the drummer - with a couplle of exceptions one being Bonzo.

Just watched the Isle of Wight.

Maybe Hendrix changed the approach to the guitar in 1966/67, but clearly by 1970 Jimmy Page was running circles around him. I just watched it, and I Can't Quit You Babe had tons more fire and licks than Red House ever did.

Go ahead, rip me to shreds. :beer:

I think a more accurate comparison would be Hendrix at IOW vs Page in Seattle 7/17/77, when both were in decline.

As far as live stage presence, charisma, excitement, musicianship, chops, etc. nothing even comes close to Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Jimmy is as good or better than Hendrix in every aspect of guitar, from recording to live, to alternate tunings and slide, from rhythms to solos. Jimmy was sloppy, live, sometimes, but Hendrix was just about as sloppy.

^

You can't hold it against him that Hendrix didn't survive. Hendrix was great, but whether it's blues/rock, blue/funk, r&b, psychadelic blues his playing was aways very bluesy. Page was a jack of all trades.

you cannot assume that... saying that they're sloppy

because jimi had to sing as well.. and jimmy just played the guitar.. no extra stress.

Exactly I love both performers... but Hendrix had something completely Different going on.

They are two completely DIFFERENT musicians in my eyes.. and when I play .. I try to emulate Page much more than I would ever do Hendrix...

Mind you I am a COMPLETE GUITAR NOVICE ( less than a year of it) .. but the little I've tried.

Hendrix is all slides and vibrato... Page is Dark Deep Blues rhythym and true finger agility.

Plus Page has the Ballads and the Acoustics all over Jimi.

But when Jimi wails out Voodoo Child or Fire... he's just on another PLANET dude...

Hendrix was just in a whole different Zone than everyone....

I personally think Page was a much better musician because Page has a much broader and better body of work...

But what people freak out over Hendrix about was that ONE Tone that he got... He captures something in songs like Voodoo Child ( I'm not a big Red House fan.. that's just an old blues remake... I'd think BB would play it better) ... That's just AMAZING.

But in terms of range and a body of work.. I'd take Page every day of the week.

I just watched the Isle of Wight last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Mitch Mitchell's drumming was awesome. Between that show and Zep's Royal Albert Hall performance of the same year, rock music was truely at its peak in my opinion. Sure Zep took their music to another level in the 70s but the rest of the genre began to decline.

1st off....i LOVE jimmy page. HE turned me on to the guitar, made it my totem, making it possible for me to dangle my dreams from the bottom of guitar strings.

but once i was up and running, so to speak, it was a matter of seconds before i discovered jimi hendrix. and while i have read the pros and cons of hendrix performance in isle of wight, it is another performance that stands head and shoulders above almost everyone else-and without that performance, page may not have had the format that he was looking for a year later. i speak of the monterrey pop festival. hendrix steps out on stage cranking up "killing floor" (non players-howling wolf song, rocked out by jimi, co-opted by jimmy). his performance of that song was supposedly one of the things that freaked eric clapton out (and pete townshend, as well). see it here...

mind you, i doubt that blues-based rock had been played that hard EVER in 1967. watch the rest of the film (and groups) and see what i mean. now...

hendrix-gone to soon for this to be fair.

page-great performer, musician, producer, songwriter, and conceptual artist.

all props to page. ALL PROPS!

but, i would never say a dirty word about jimi hendrix, ever. i wouldn't even argue with someone who thought hendrix was better, because i can understand where they are coming from....

hendrix was also becoming a great producer, he was beginning to explore other musical stylings, and had he taken a break, not died, banished purple haze from his set for a year (or re-arranged it, ala dylan) and outgrown the "guitar is my weenie" thing he had, it would have been him and page, neck and neck.

it was not to be

jimmy page is god

jimi hendrix, r.i.p.

ask Janie "Purple Hazel" Henndrix, Jimi's step-sister (no blood relation) who now runs his empire...and sells everything under the sun with Jimi's likeness on it...golf balls, boxer shorts, toilet plungers...she makes me sick....I hope i have answered your question...

Archived