Putting the doctor back into Timothy Leary

dragster

Dang, I wrote an entire post and it zapped onto the cosmos. :huh:

At any rate...Leary & LSD. Well, I never died, never tried to fly, two "bad" trips out of tons.

It is a great tool to erase the ego for however may hours your dose is.

*This is not an endorsement* I get crap any time I mention my hallucinogenic experiences.

My sister is good friends with Ram Dass. She helped with all his tapes, and was his PR while speaking here. she even managed to get our mayor to introduce him.

• 1 month later...

In 1981 He came to the local College for a debate. Afterwards there was a party. Very nice man, someone spilled a drink on me and he loaned my a shirt to wear. I still have it. He was a thin man because I cant even get an arm in the sleeve anymore.

Always liked this about Leary:

We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel. - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Always liked this about Leary:

We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel. - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

:notworthy: I read that book so many times it fell apart. I'm a gen x-er, and I think this part you posted in particular sums up my issues with the boomers.

:notworthy: I read that book so many times it fell apart. I'm a gen x-er, and I think this part you posted in particular sums up my issues with the boomers.

Ah,gen-ex,oh to be young and self-hating! :lol: A lot of kids wasted their teens on heroin because it was "cool",and Kurt made suicide "cool" as well,and now emo's are doing it again,well anyway,i would just say drugs are dangerous,i never actually (Or ever plan to) take them,i heard the horror stories and such,i know so many kids wasted their lives,plus there's a touch of alcoholism in the family (It only seems to get people called Tom though,i'm not,but it's a scary thought that i'd become a total junkie) the propaganda movies though are enough to get you're belt around your arm though,it's ridiculous.

Ah,gen-ex,oh to be young and self-hating! :lol: A lot of kids wasted their teens on heroin because it was "cool",and Kurt made suicide "cool" as well,and now emo's are doing it again,well anyway,i would just say drugs are dangerous,i never actually (Or ever plan to) take them,i heard the horror stories and such,i know so many kids wasted their lives,plus there's a touch of alcoholism in the family (It only seems to get people called Tom though,i'm not,but it's a scary thought that i'd become a total junkie) the propaganda movies though are enough to get you're belt around your arm though,it's ridiculous.

Okay, I think I'm an older gen x-er, then. I was born in 1970. I grew up with Do Your Own Thing, and Free to be You and Me. What was ideaology to the previous gen is the only reality I know. Hats off to them, but get over yourselves, already. :P

Okay, I think I'm an older gen x-er, then. I was born in 1970. I grew up with Do Your Own Thing, and Free to be You and Me. What was ideaology to the previous gen is the only reality I know. Hats off to them, but get over yourselves, already. :P

Yeah,well gen-ex didn't even try going on trips,they used the most depressing and uncolourful (As opposed to the alleged kaleidoscope produced by LSD) drugs out there to fit there mood,Heroin.

And look at you!You sound exactly like Aleister Crowley!Do what thou wilt!

Yeah,well gen-ex didn't even try going on trips,they used the most depressing and uncolourful (As opposed to the alleged kaleidoscope produced by LSD) drugs out there to fit there mood,Heroin.

And look at you!You sound exactly like Aleister Crowley!Do what thou wilt!

I have never used heroin. Yuck. What in the world did I say that was like AC? All I know about him is that JP bought his house and that he drew cartoons of his schlong. I have seen some books about him in a store, but when I tried to read them, I went :huh: and gave up.

I have never used heroin. Yuck. What in the world did I say that was like AC? All I know about him is that JP bought his house and that he drew cartoons of his schlong. I have seen some books about him in a store, but when I tried to read them, I went :huh: and gave up.

AC's philosophy was do what thou wilt,in his case,that meant drawing cartoon schlongs and the use of gay S & M to summon satan.

OH ...is that so ?

2gwb8yb.jpg

I've met the man...talked with him one on one for about 20 minutes at my old college. We talked about 'terminal adulthood' and the youthful energy one can keep...if their mindset is capable.

Timothy Leary's dead.....

no, no, no....

He's outside, looking in ...

Hell fly his astral plane,

Takes you trips around the bay,

Brings you back the same day,

Timothy leary. timothy leary.

Hell take you up, hell bring you down,

Hell plant your feet back firmly on the ground.

He flies so high, he swoops so low,

He knows exactly which way hes gonna go.

Timothy leary. timothy leary.

This song was on the turntable one night back about 75/76. When a bunch of us dropped some A ....One of our lot got up opened a curtain looked out and said ...in a perplexed manner ""Well i can't see him"........Everybody else just creased with laughter.........(sigh) Those were the days.

I think most people who say they know everything about DR. Timothy Leary either a) in reality don't know a damn thing about him and his 'theories' (for lack of a better word) or B) if they do, they tend to ONLY look at the druggie tag hinged to his name thus TOTALLY IGNORING the good vibes around him and his works (this is my conclusion after reading the posts above). I don't think DR. TIMOTHY LEARY means ONLY drugs or trips in the strict sense of the word.....it's GENERALIZING...it's TOO REDUCTIVE of the man and scientist that is DR. TIMOTHY LEARY, it's like saying ALL GERMANS are Nazis!....so we need to shift the focus from the "drug scene" to the SOCIAL and INFORMATIVE one.

Got it?? :):):).............DIG??!

Robert.

LSD is overrated.

I'll take a healthy batch of boomers any day over a nice blodder.

Well I'm sure you never had really clean LSD.

Shrooms are great but don't say LSD is overrated because the blotter you may have gotten wasn't top notch ;) .

Well I'm sure you never had really clean LSD.

Shrooms are great but don't say LSD is overrated because the blotter you may have gotten wasn't top notch ;) .

I was rather tired when I made that statement. Foolish really. I'd take your opinion on the matter any day of the week over mine. :blush:

Archived