Why Misty Mountain Hop

It's a strange song. The chromatics make it sound kind of out of tune even though it's intentional, and it certainly makes it hard to play live. Robert has never been known for his intonation. But for whatever reason (probably the lyrics and the backstory behind it) Robert really likes it. (It was one of the first Zep tunes he started playing again in his solo career.) It also gave JPJ another opportunity to play keys, plus it's a pretty short, taught song that fits into the playlist, as it has no extended solo opportunities, kind of like Ramble On.

IMHO I've never heard a good live version of the song. Alway's thought it sounded weak. An electric version of Gallows Pole on the other hand sounds absolutely awsome live. Four Sticks as well. Both would have been better choices as would a number of other songs

• 2 weeks later...
An electric version of Gallows Pole on the other hand sounds absolutely awsome live.

You can get a glimpse of how it would have been, actually. At EC 1975, they did some bits of Gallows Pole at the ending part of Trampled. It fit perfectly if you ask me

Misty Mountain Hop is a great song to put on the set list. Upbeat song, great riff, fun to sing and shake to. Glad they decided to play it. I thought it was weird to have Since I've Been Loving You attached to it back in '73. The song(s) stand much better alone. Looking back at the '88 reunion set, MMH was the best song they played that night. IMO.

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived